Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,608 members, 7,827,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? (35966 Views)

Apply For Shell Nigeria (snepco) Scholarship For Master’s Degree In UK / 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? / Which Master's Degree Programme Is Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Lescott7(m): 6:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
Jenams:
If you have masters degree and you don't know anything, trust me it will not perform miracles for you. i have masters in business education and it helped me secure a lecturing job among 300+ applicants. masters will give you an edge in the midst of BSc holders in any interview situation as much attention will be given to you, but the onus lie on u to convince every member of the interview panel that you are most suitable for the job. I thank you all.
. I am an undergraduate student of business education and one thing that bothers me about this field is that it's not so popular but I'm happy to meet a masters degree holder in my field on nairaland.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Everyday4(m): 6:58pm On Jul 25, 2015
@ op, you can take your decision frm these array of advises..plz o which certification(s) could be best suited for a graduate of economics besides ican.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by darmilolah(m): 7:02pm On Jul 25, 2015
[quote author=temb post=36250473]I recently just concluded my nysc this July and have since been trying to secure a job...Now I have been sending many applications since February but still no luck...

The question now is that if I acquire a masters degree, would that guarantee me a job in Nigeria...or everything is based on connection, because I am really confused. don't know whether I should use the little money I saved up during my nysc to pursue masters or I should keep on the job hunt.....

I would appreciate good advice from experienced people here and lastly I graduated with a 2.2 in the dept of metallu
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by erasokafor(m): 7:06pm On Jul 25, 2015
temb:
I recently just concluded my nysc this July and have since been trying to secure a job...Now I have been sending many applications since February but still no luck...

The question now is that if I acquire a masters degree, would that guarantee me a job in Nigeria...or everything is based on connection, because I am really confused. don't know whether I should use the little money I saved up during my nysc to pursue masters or I should keep on the job hunt.....

I would appreciate good advice from experienced people here and lastly I graduated with a 2.2 in the dept of metallurgical and materials engineering.

Here is the best advice for u. Go for ur masters.the way nigeria is growing now,soon bsc will be ntn. It is true that some jobs need experience m than certificates level.but no matter how u view it education is the key esp wen it is higher.I am an example.whr I am today is becos of my masters degree.I had this confusion my own time.now I'm happy I did it. Forget hw long it took u to get d job. Even if the job u finally gets is not requiring ur masters,no prblm.the end justifies the means n u must not stay in any job u get. Wen u get a job u r still looking for a better one. I am in uniform n I will tell u that msc is respected so much here ,no doubt. Smbdy advised u to go for professional cert. It is good but msc n phd cnt be compared with that one still. Even though it depends on the area u find urself working.but d basic is msc.then wen u r working u can add any other prof cert to it. This is my candid advice.it is easier to do ur professional certificate as u r working cos its all part time. But ur msc u shld go for full time n do it now u got the brain n still fresh.if u r working n wanna run full time msc it won't be easy but u cn do ur prof cerfication anytime as u wish. Choose wisely

5 Likes

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by GodswillAJudins(m): 7:12pm On Jul 25, 2015
Am now afraid to continue on Meterllurgy and Material Engineering. After completing my pre degree science. Though I love the course but am beginning to think its backward in this country.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Ayopercent(m): 7:19pm On Jul 25, 2015
BossTtdiamonds:
Nope it does not in anyway guarantee you a Job. Mine is in view..but you'd be scared to death should you see my portfolio..
I've acquired so many skills over the years and that's what had molded me into a formidable force the Market just can't seem to do without.
I read thesame course as d op,my M.sc is also in view... I just want ask d skills u hv acquired dat made u stand out.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Ayopercent(m): 7:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
asala1:
Bros, instead of starting your MSc, why not go for a professional course will give you a better opportunity to secure a job and give you a nice career path. Due to your background, if you have the fund go for professional courses in Welding, Corrosion or Non-destructive Testing. There are lots of opportunities is these area.
pls can u shed more light on d professional courses u stated above I.e d amt needed to do it and where to do it.I hv a sound theoretical knowledge about d three courses...
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Olanireti(m): 7:42pm On Jul 25, 2015
God will direct your step. Am more interested in your topic because I did the same course, though i just graduated hoping to go service with next batch. Will like to know you, which school did you finish from? Here's my digit, 07039751844.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Ayopercent(m): 7:44pm On Jul 25, 2015
GodswillAJudins:
Am now afraid to continue on Meterllurgy and Material Engineering. After completing my pre degree science. Though I love the course but am beginning to think its backward in this country.
Bro,don't be discouraged with hard work and God on your side d sky is ur limit.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Olanireti(m): 7:48pm On Jul 25, 2015
GodswillAJudins:

You don't have to be scared bro. I did the course and i just graduated. All depends on your interest. The beauty of it is that it is applicable in most companies especially any manufacturing company. Above all, God's grace
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by horchukoh(m): 8:08pm On Jul 25, 2015
Seriously am beginning to regret that I chose to study this course [met and mat]. Though it was one of neighbour that introduce me to it, with the kind of news am hearing am just afraid imagining someone spending five good years in the university then after graduating the person can not get a good job . Now tell me what is the purpose of going to university. I saw a post on nairaland the other day,a guy suggested that some course should be scrapped from Nigeria university. Many people were criticising him now tell what is the essence of me studying a course that I know fully well that after graduating I won't be able to get a job.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by osothermal(m): 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2015
temb:
I recently just concluded my nysc this July and have since been trying to secure a job...Now I have been sending many applications since February but still no luck...

I would appreciate good advice from experienced people here and lastly I graduated with a 2.2 in the dept of metallurgical and materials engineering.
my broda I am also a co metal from fed.university of tech Akure. Our course is not like odas if you are employed what can you offer? I don't know if you have asked yourself that question sincerely? Enroll for a professional course if u need my assistance hit me on whatapp 07067439755 or BBM 297be701
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by temitope28(m): 9:05pm On Jul 25, 2015
Msc will be better
Trust me, I graduated wt a 2:2 in oou as well and after nysc the future looks so dark,not until wen I went for my msc in the same school now I have two different offers one at chevron nd the other one as a lecturer at university of ado ekiti. Though I went for the lecturing job cuz I want to run a phd so msc wl gv u an edge
Try to do it nd thank me later

3 Likes

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by asala1: 9:11pm On Jul 25, 2015
Ayopercent:

pls can u shed more light on d professional courses u stated above I.e d amt needed to do it and where to do it.I hv a sound theoretical knowledge about d three courses...

Try Petroleum Training Institute. If you have money you can try abroad.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by tiwasiaife(m): 9:12pm On Jul 25, 2015
shaiba:

what experience do u have presently and where r u working?

please can we chat privately on whatsap OK. add me now with this and notify me when u do. tnx and remain blessed.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by tiwasiaife(m): 9:19pm On Jul 25, 2015
shaiba:

what experience do u have presently and where r u working?

please can we chat privately on whatsap OK. add me now with this and notify me when u do. tnx and remain blessed. or
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ednut1(m): 10:40pm On Jul 25, 2015
horchukoh:
Seriously am beginning to regret that I chose to study this course [met and mat]. Though it was one of neighbour that introduce me to it, with the kind of news am hearing am just afraid imagining someone spending five good years in the university then after graduating the person can not get a good job . Now tell me what is the purpose of going to university. I saw a post on nairaland the other day,a guy suggested that some course should be scrapped from Nigeria university. Many people were criticising him now tell what is the essence of me studying a course that I know fully well that after graduating I won't be able to get a job.
make sure u make a 2.1, jobs dey for audit firms, banks, and other financial institutions wink
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 25, 2015
Hello fellow engineer.I would advise you do certification in welding inspection.American Welding Society(AWS) certification.It will boost your chance in getting job in the Oil and Gas sector.You know the industry can't do without pipeline.MME is a course you can't do without in the O&G industry...You could still do certification in Cathodic Protection of Pipelines( though it is EE based sha)
Having a masters degree is also good.But you could go for that later.I had a lecturing job opportunity recently,but I missed it because I don't have a Masters degree in EEE.
I would also advised that you join your professional family,the Nigerian Society of Engineers( I am a Corporate Member and COREN-registered engineer)...there is MMM Division.
Wish you all the best.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Gamuguma(m): 11:23pm On Jul 25, 2015
ednut1:
look at dis one i hv been involved in entry level recruitments wit shell,honeywell,deliotte, stanbic ibtc, and many other companies. i hv ican, some pple had uk masters and still failed test or interview. while pple wit jst bsc got in. wat difference are u talking about if u hv no experience msc is useless. no talk wetin u no sabi. i was armed wit a strong 2.1 and ican wen i landed in d job market. was tagged hot cake. wetin my eye see no be here ok

Bro, forgive me... You are still saying poo! Get a masters then u will know the difference between acid and water.
TO GET MASTERS NO BE BEANS O
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 25, 2015
frankay430:
na God oh
Na God first oo, n professional certificate could help with prayers
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ednut1(m): 11:40pm On Jul 25, 2015
Gamuguma:

Bro, forgive me... You are still saying poo! Get a masters then u will know the difference between acid and water.
TO GET MASTERS NO BE BEANS O
do u knw the number of pple with uk masters wey never see job employer don't care about ur degree in entry level bt wat u can offer. masters don turn pure water nowadays. be wise
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by informat101(f): 12:25am On Jul 26, 2015
I am currently running an msc in biochemistry, am searching for a food or industrial company where I can apply as a graduate intern in the company.I don't know if I should stop searching for, because of my course work.but there is this feeling I have that an msc doesn't really change anything.I need job experience in this field and there is competition.and my dream has always been to work in nestle*shines teeth*is there anything I can learn to make me more employable?anybody with useful information pls help.*please if you have past nestle or any general apptitude test questions kindly send to my email ivytrendy16@yahoo.com
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 26, 2015
Lescott7:
. I am an undergraduate student of business education and one thing that bothers me about this field is that it's not so popular but I'm happy to meet a masters degree holder in my field on nairaland.
i'm happy I met u too. Be very grateful to God that u r studyin business education, read hard to graduate wit good grade (2.1). U can professionally function in both academics and commercial field
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 26, 2015
deborsky:
@ Jenams can we talk? we are in d same field. which option is Ur specialization?.
sure bro, anytime. (accounting option)
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Magicc: 1:27am On Jul 26, 2015
Look at it this way.

You are presently searching for a job, which is costly if you have to travel all the time. Why not apply to do a Master's degree in a city that is a job hub?

As you are studying, you are also searching. God so kind, if you get a good job before the end of the program, you can jettison it for the job. If not, you already have a MSc.

You can add whatever professional qualifications you want as you do the masters or after the program.

It get increasingly difficult to get higher educational qualification as we grow older. It will be wise to do so now.

Also it takes some persons a while to get a job, the program will keep you busy and will help prevent any GAP in your CV. In an interview you will not be asked: "What have you been doing since 2015?"

temb:

so far so good...I HV done 4 aptitude test...2 at which I lost due to d fact dat I did nt graduate with a 2.1...n d oder 2 I failed, as 4 d CV u have a very good and well formatted CV, no blunders n my communication skill is excellent... u can c from my write up

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by mikkypel(m): 5:09am On Jul 26, 2015
histemple:
I am particularly impressed with the responses so far. No infantile comments or jejune jokes

I think experience is far more advantageous.

I am a HR expert and during interviews, our concentration shifts from your paper qualifications to what you "know and what you can offer". Except if all the candidates are inexperienced, you can not be employed ahead of a highly experienced B.Sc holder just because you have a masters degree.
If you are just brilliant, even a masters degree won't make you intelligent and so when you meet intelligent panelists, your brilliance may not still help you get the job.
Masters in most cases only gives you the advantage of being shortlisted for an interview while your intelligence and Know - how gives you the job.
So, I will advice you strive to acquire experience anyhow you can and also get a professional certification. These two gives you immediate advantage.

Yea, well said but according to a picture I saw on my friends phone, it says how do I acquire experience when you won't give me job?
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by joshrare(m): 5:19am On Jul 26, 2015
histemple:
I am particularly impressed with the responses so far. No infantile comments or jejune jokes

I think experience is far more advantageous.

I am a HR expert and during interviews, our concentration shifts from your paper qualifications to what you "know and what you can offer". Except if all the candidates are inexperienced, you can not be employed ahead of a highly experienced B.Sc holder just because you have a masters degree.
If you are just brilliant, even a masters degree won't make you intelligent and so when you meet intelligent panelists, your brilliance may not still help you get the job.
Masters in most cases only gives you the advantage of being shortlisted for an interview while your intelligence and Know - how gives you the job.
So, I will advice you strive to acquire experience anyhow you can and also get a professional certification. These two gives you immediate advantage.

Good to know there's an Hrexpert here...

Talking abt skills and certifications, can u pls list some useful ones? Coz I just can't figure out anyone now. And how can one get experience without a job?
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by deborsky(m): 5:50am On Jul 26, 2015
Jenams:
sure bro, anytime. (accounting option)
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 6:55am On Jul 26, 2015
Ayopercent:

I read thesame course as d op,my M.sc is also in view... I just want ask d skills u hv acquired dat made u stand out.

It all starts with hard work... I do have 2 bachelor degree certificates, coupled with some professional courses (lots actually)..
Diligence, consistency and commitment are important factors to always keep in mind. Plus I do have a rule - "if it's too easy, don't do it". Everything I do is hard..even while playing videos games, I select the hardest option even though I am a first timer...

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ruqoyah26(f): 7:04am On Jul 26, 2015
Nice topic. Really gained frm it. Thanks
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 26, 2015
lonelydora:
Since you have made up your mind that landing a job in Nigeria now is based solely on connections, may it be so to you and you alone.

Allow others to hustle and get a job without man-know-man, please.
He did not put question mark but if I read correctly, he only asked a question I believe answering with courtesy or leaving it at that is the two options you should have explored.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by lonelydora: 9:02am On Jul 26, 2015
blueseacats:
He did not put question mark but if I read correctly, he only asked a question I believe answering with courtesy or leaving it at that is the two options you should have explored.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

N-Power Announces Enrolment Process For Batch C / Technical Aid Corps 2012/2014 Recruitment Interview / Slavery In Our Labour Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.