Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. - Webmasters (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. (14534 Views)

Are You In Need Of A Law Firm Website With Responsive Design? / 9 Errors That Reduces The Effectiveness Of Your Ad On Facebook / Fixing Your Website Mobile Friendliness With The Robots.txt File (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by semasir: 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
I stand corrected that the codes/scripts used for the mobile view can be a factor to your mobile look slowness but a clean one will definitely be fast to load.

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by romme2u: 4:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
Nmeri17:
this una thread sef. some have defiantly chosen to remain ignorant despite being faced with the stark reality that they know absolutely nothing and are even asking no one to counter them. as per say na u follow write the specifications at w3.org abi?? *hisses like a serpent and unfollows thread **

*comes back to make sure thread was successfully unfollowed** smiley smiley
PS: those guys trying to convince them to go responsive, una too get time!

Don't worry, just leave him to ignoramus. he does not want to learn and upgrade his skills.

like somebody said there is no fast rule in web design. u pick what works for the project u are handling.

RWD does not only employ css media queries alone because of images. adaptive design and lazy loading complements it. infact recently i noticed that my facebook page loads content as i scroll down, that is lazy loading (loading content on demand either via page reload or frequently Ajax).

i said before that i can rebuff all the points he posted but didn't have time for that. that's why i recommended some topics for him to research on.

anyway LordAdam said it all. if he likes he should learn and keep on improving, if he does not like let him remain where he is and console himself that google and facebook do not employ RWD. what he fails to realize is that google, facebook and youtube are more of webapps than website (if i may use that term becos a lot of upcoming designer/developer don't know the difference btw the two) hence the employ the mobile app/site approach.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 5:58pm On Aug 09, 2015
romme2u:

Don't worry, just leave him to ignoramus. he does not want to learn and upgrade his skills.

like somebody said there is no fast rule in web design. u pick what works for the project u are handling.

RWD does not only employ css media queries alone because of images. adaptive design and lazy loading complements it. infact recently i noticed that my facebook page loads content as i scroll down, that is lazy loading (loading content on demand either via page reload or frequently Ajax).

i said before that i can rebuff all the points he posted but didn't have time for that. that's why i recommended some topics for him to research on.

anyway LordAdam said it all. if he likes he should learn and keep on improving, if he does not like let him remain where he is and console himself that google and facebook do not employ RWD. what he fails to realize is that google, facebook and youtube are more of webapps than website (if i may use that term becos a lot of upcoming designer/developer don't know the difference btw the two) hence the employ the mobile app/site approach.
You guys are too confident about my ignorance and how I am a newbie to web development can you defend responsive design without insulting me because you don't even know me.

About lazy loading and those fancy javascript/ajax brother the real device that we call mobile do not support these technologies... For example opera mini and low end smartphones and featured phones won't handle all the about well. Maybe you are the ignorant one for thinking all visitors of your site use high end android or ios devices.... Maybe sha I am not definite that you are ignorant but u are 100% percent sure that am ignorant... Someone even quoted me and called me a fool.

This post is my attempt to educate people on how responsive design won't deliver best results for all users.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by romme2u: 8:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
directonpc:

You guys are too confident about my ignorance and how I am a newbie to web development can you defend responsive design without insulting me because you don't even know me.

About lazy loading and those fancy javascript/ajax brother the real device that we call mobile do not support these technologies... For example opera mini and low end smartphones and featured phones won't handle all the about well. Maybe you are the ignorant one for thinking all visitors of your site use high end android or ios devices.... Maybe sha I am not definite that you are ignorant but u are 100% percent sure that am ignorant... Someone even quoted me and called me a fool.

This post is my attempt to educate people on how responsive design won't deliver best results for all users.

i did not call u a newbie, i indicated that for upcoming guys who may be reading the post.

i think to solve ur problem client probing scripts like modernizr are used to detect the capabilities of the environment and provide features/content based on that information, then there is a fallback to basic site in case the probing fail.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 9:42pm On Aug 09, 2015
romme2u:

i did not call u a newbie, i indicated that for upcoming guys who may be reading the post.

i think to solve ur problem client probing scripts like modernizr are used to detect the capabilities of the environment and provide features/content based on that information, then there is a fallback to basic site in case the probing fail.
At the end of the day u will be doing a lot of work and that proves how responsive design alone can't get the job done
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by yusufu16: 9:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
directonpc:

OKK! but the same google will appreciate a dedicated site a give it good Rank. You wont understand what am saying too sha cause u researched too much

Yes i research too much that is why i know better. Even the latest frameworks like twitter bootstrap are built with mobile responsiveness. Instead of you condemning mobile responsiveness, its better you tell us how to built a better mobile responsive sites. Your post is not even backed by reliable source to support your argument.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by romme2u: 11:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
directonpc:

At the end of the day u will be doing a lot of work and that proves how responsive design alone can't get the job done

which lot of work will u be doing?

i can now understand ur problem. RWD is not only about css media queries, it encompasses all the techniques required to make a site respond to different device platform and screens which includes but not limited to server-side device detection, adaptive design, lazy loading then css media queries.

in general it involves both backend and frontend techniques.

so because of the word design u think it is only a css technique. sori a lot of javascript and server techniques are employed to have a full responsive site.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 12:26am On Aug 10, 2015
yusufu16:

Yes i research too much that is why i know better. Even the latest frameworks like twitter bootstrap are built with mobile responsiveness. Instead of you condemning mobile responsiveness, its better you tell us how to built a better mobile responsive sites. Your post is not even backed by reliable source to support your argument.
So what if the source is my brain? Or you think people can't use their brain

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by FincoApps(m): 4:04am On Aug 10, 2015
directonpc:

I'll advise you to stop replying them. I don't like it when people become insulting.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 4:20am On Aug 10, 2015
FincoApps:

I'll advise you to stop replying them. I don't like it when people become insulting.
Yeah. I will take that recommendation.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by yusufu16: 9:37am On Aug 10, 2015
directonpc:

Your brain is one tiny small thing out of billions of brains in the world. Remember even Bill Gate doesn't know it all. So for you to bring something out of your brain and expect us to believe is uncalled for.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by yusufu16: 9:39am On Aug 10, 2015
FincoApps:

We are here to learn and not to condemn anybody.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 12:04pm On Aug 10, 2015
yusufu16:
Your brain is one tiny small thing out of billions of brains in the world. Remember even Bill Gate doesn't know it all. So for you to bring something out of your brain and expect us to believe is uncalled for.
Sorry if you don't believe in yourself me I believe In myself and my tiny brain will take me somewhere soon so stop insulting me as it won't removed the curse your village people placed on u

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by webcalculator(m): 2:33pm On Aug 10, 2015
directonpc:

Sorry if you don't believe in yourself me I believe In myself and my tiny brain will take me somewhere soon so stop insulting me as it won't removed the curse your village people placed on u
Your site sucks on mobile
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 4:46pm On Aug 10, 2015
webcalculator:
Your site sucks on mobile
Same as yours. No be me place curse on u abeg
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by webcalculator(m): 9:33pm On Aug 10, 2015
directonpc:

Same as yours. No be me place curse on u abeg
Lols
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 2:05am On Aug 11, 2015
webcalculator:
Lols
Yeah. Wonder where you think from probably your an*s
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by webcalculator(m): 7:12am On Aug 11, 2015
directonpc:

Yeah. Wonder where you think from probably your an*s
Truth hurts
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 7:30am On Aug 11, 2015
webcalculator:
Truth hurts
Why my hustle dey pain u? Face your own
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by webcalculator(m): 7:34am On Aug 11, 2015
directonpc:
Why my hustle dey pain u? Face your own
Bro, this is to ginger you. Step up your game. Your site is amazing on desktop but is not friendly on mobile. Before putting out an argument like this, you ought to have built either an RWD or mobile site for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 11:39am On Aug 11, 2015
webcalculator:

Bro, this is to ginger you. Step up your game. Your site is amazing on desktop but is not friendly on mobile. Before putting out an argument like this, you ought to have built either an RWD or mobile site for yourself.
Lol not friendly on mobile? You are the first person to say that. And it's just so u can score some cheap point... Tho my site is a research in motion (but mobile friendliness isn't an issue there) the issue is finishing touches to css and completion of features that are under development process.
You nairabrik isn't friendly on mobile even as you are yet to have contents on the site
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by webcalculator(m): 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2015
directonpc:

Lol not friendly on mobile? You are the first person to say that. And it's just so u can score some cheap point... Tho my site is a research in motion (but mobile friendliness isn't an issue there) the issue is finishing touches to css and completion of features that are under development process.
You nairabrik isn't friendly on mobile even as you are yet to have contents on the site
Ok o. Ride on with your site
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by togbonna: 10:59am On Aug 16, 2015
I leave you with the two references. Draw your own conclusions.

(1) Should your site be responsive?
Let’s keep this one simple: Yes. Responsive design is the most cost-effective way to deal with the widest possible array of devices, and the simplest way to future-proof your web site. On their Responsive Design Podcast, Karen McGrane and Ethan Marcotte have talked to dozens of organizations about the challenges and the payoffs: there’s no denying its effectiveness.
https://www.lullabot.com/articles/why-responsive-design

(2) M dot or RWD. Which is faster?
http://bigqueri.es/t/m-dot-or-rwd-which-is-faster/296
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by STALLONMABRO: 11:17am On Aug 16, 2015
i can design your mobile site to have a fully customized mobile theme for smartphones devices and another mobile theme for lower phones at once.
including these features:

1] the theme will be fully adsense incorperated giving you fully earning potential with adsense.

2] Proper navigation with menu links and your privacy policy, terms of use and contact us pages respectively below the site.

3] google adsense custom search bar well place above the site for more monitization options.

4] the theme will be light weight and will load even on a slow internet connection.

interested persons should contact me on 08036727808
or on facebook.com/stallonmabro
or on twitter.com/stallonmabro

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by MrDaniel2032: 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nairaland seem to be responsive right? Is it not a large website? Although most time in not responsive using opera mini.

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 2:14am On Nov 08, 2015
MrDaniel2032:
Nairaland seem to be responsive right? Is it not a large website? Although most time in not responsive using opera mini.
we can say nairaland isn't so complex on the PC version bro. hence manages to work fine that way.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by MifiHost: 9:19am On Nov 08, 2015
Install any CMS Component with our automated web installer.

100% Off Basic Hosting Plan - MifiHost

We are giving out our Basic web hosting Plan for free to users . Our Basic Plan is the real deal. There are no hidden fees, no deposit or credit card required. Signing up for a Basic free web hosting account is fast and easy. You can use our services for a lifetime if that is what you desire.Click the Link Below to go to the Offer Page

http:///1MQ4CnH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Old Naijamobile.tk Now Changed To 9jamobile.net / Codecademy Or Coursera, Which Is The Best For Online Learning? / Webmasters Introduce Yourself.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.