Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:31 AM

Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. (14793 Views)

Are You In Need Of A Law Firm Website With Responsive Design? / 9 Errors That Reduces The Effectiveness Of Your Ad On Facebook / Fixing Your Website Mobile Friendliness With The Robots.txt File (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by romme2u: 2:37am On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

A responsive site isn't mobile friendly since it can't cater for low end mobile devices... Google launched Google plus in the Era of modern smartphones but believe me even Nokia 3110 will access G+ wella

it seems u are not abreast of current techniques and development in the web world.

i advised u previously to googled up adaptive design and lazy loading.

ok add this to ur lesson; graceful degradation and progressive enhancement. mind u this are techniques that have existed for ages.

incase u forgot where u were and where u are heading to: RWD is an attempt to cover as much computing devices as possible with varying screen size including those low end mobile devices even nokia 3310 and just introduce digital smart wristwatch. as long as that device can run a web browser.

it seems ur point is hanging on poor network connectivity, which is the inability of those device to download heavy web content that are meant for high end devices. i can assured u that network speed of today is far ahead of what was obtained in 2010.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 4:53am On Aug 05, 2015
romme2u:

it seems u are not abreast of current techniques and development in the web world.

ok add this to ur lesson; graceful degradation and progressive enhancement. mind u this are techniques that have existed for ages.

incase u forgot where u were and where u are heading to: RWD is an attempt to cover as much computing devices as possible with varying screen size including those low end mobile devices even nokia 3310 and just introduce digital smart wristwatch. as long as that device can run a web browser.

it seems ur point is hanging on poor network connectivity, which is the inability of those device to download heavy web content that are meant for high end devices. i can assured u that network speed of today is far ahead of what was obtained in 2010.
Brother there is nothing like current technology... Maybe you are ahead of Google and co on technology that is why those guys ain't using responsive design.

My view on responsive design remains the same (it sucks at offering good experience to low end devices)
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by shadowripper(f): 4:14pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:
I have seen a lot of webmasters on Nairaland over hyping responsive web design.
I am going to state 3 reasons why responsive design sucks and why you should take the stress of designing mobile versions of your site.

1. Responsive sites load slow on mobile and consumes users data(megabytes). This is very true as responsible sites download same high resolution contents that were designed for pc version of the site it only useless css to cut some put and change width and height for others.

Unlike responsive design a lite simple dedicated mobile version won't include contents that are heavy.

2. Less low-end device/browsers support. A responsive site might look good on high-end mobile devices and browsers but it is the opposite on opera mini and stock browser of older devices.

3 . Facebook, YouTube and google are not doing it so you should know that it is crappy. That is all and nobody can counter these points

It is true only for poorly designed responsive templates.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:
I am going to state 3 reasons why responsive design sucks and why you should take the stress of designing mobile versions of your site.

1. Responsive sites load slow on mobile and consumes users data(megabytes). This is very true as responsible sites download same high resolution contents that were designed for pc version of the site it only useless css to cut some put and change width and height for others.

Unlike responsive design a lite simple dedicated mobile version won't include contents that are heavy.

2. Less low-end device/browsers support. A responsive site might look good on high-end mobile devices and browsers but it is the opposite on opera mini and stock browser of older devices.

3 . Facebook, YouTube and google are not doing it so you should know that it is crappy. That is all and nobody can counter these points

You are right but not totally, ur explanations are concise and straight to the point.

I am more concerned about point number 1 which only holds true for very complex websites, especially social webs.
But for light-weight or simple websites, RWB is cool.

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by proxillin(m): 4:29pm On Aug 05, 2015
I always have problem with my company on this.

ANd the worst part of it is "Oh mighty internet explorer"..even as primitive as Opera sound, it understands CSS well.

Someone tell me what deh eck is wrong with "Oh mighty internet explorer"
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by bigtt76(f): 4:29pm On Aug 05, 2015
Exactly my thoughts too.

@OP ....having said thus far, what in your opinion is the best solution?

Google just implemented a new policy that actually favors responsive sites in their search engine, so basically if your site isn't mobile responsive (responsive not a different m.subdomain.com) you won't get a good ranking on Google

blueyedgeek:
Actually when doing responsive design, it's best approached from a mobile first perspective meaning that you design the most basic components first and then extend and improve for high end devices. By the way, look into zurb foundation's interchange for a client side only way of partially loading html content on the fly meaning that a truly responsive site would load different content based on user's device. With interchange, a browser only downloads what it needs thereby saving data. Another thing to point out is the way different browsers treat css's display:none, for some browsers, when they encounter this rule, they still download the same content as high end devices but opera mini (which seems to be your main concern) doesn't. Read through this link for the break-down http://timkadlec.com/2012/04/media-query-asset-downloading-results/
See first response.
Google just implemented a new policy that actually favors responsive sites in their search engine, so basically if your site isn't mobile responsive (responsive not a different m.subdomain.com) you won't get a good ranking on Google. Also, it would do you well not to think of responsive design as the best solution to everything. Sometimes having a dedicated mobile site is a better solution and for sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google, it is justified. Facebook for example has about 751 million people accessing Facebook from their mobile devices and this merits having a separate mobile site well tailored for mobile users. The last sentence in your post about nobody being able to counter your points is just arrogant, we are all in this to learn, if you present a good argument people would see merit in it and will agree with you.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

Brother there is nothing like current technology... Maybe you are ahead of Google and co on technology that is why those guys ain't using responsive design.

My view on responsive design remains the same (it sucks at offering good experience to low end devices)

You keep on harping about Google and facebook not using RWD, and basing your assumptions on this with considering multiple factors for their decision.

Facebook, Google and Twitter are web apps and not websites per say, which means their platforms are resources intensive and having RWD is pointless because of tailored content queries. This doesn't apply to a basic website and you can't possible use that as a benchmark for your conclusions. The new Google search algorithm actually rates website based on mobile friendliness and shows a text stating that the site is mobile friendly or not.

Please don't mislead people with mere assumptions without research. From the UX point of view, a seamless use experience is only achieved through RWD any other approach is simply a waste of valuable Dev resource which is counter productive.

Cheers
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by gpproton: 4:55pm On Aug 05, 2015
This OP don't even understand the meaning of responsive design and is writing rubbish about web design.
Guess he needs help understanding it meaning, and it just designing web interface without declaring any major fixed size in the design and when it CSS3 you can even use a different style sheet for a specific HTML document size, try to learn something good OPee!
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by oieda: 5:08pm On Aug 05, 2015
Css3 vs responsive design
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by GoodMuyis(m): 5:10pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

I disagree with this point, Every Big Site uses Responsive design, Mobile facebook uses it, thats why you dont scroll horizontally.

What really sucks there is relying on your CSS to determine how site load on mobile devices and they called it mobile responsive.

Have you ever wonder how you can control you site+content with on 10", 12" mini pc, 14", 15", 16.... Computers, yet these are not low end devices.

Responsive is good, dont just missused it, Nairaland uses it well I love that

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by barackosama(m): 5:21pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

Bro your HEAD is VALID!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Spirit1(m): 5:22pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

I NEED A GOOD WEB DESIGNER TO DESIGN A MOBILE FRIENDLY WEBSITE FOR ME.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF WHO CAN DO A VERY GOOD JOB? I WILL LIKE TO SEE THEIR PREVIOUS FUNCTIONING WORKS TOO.
PLEASE ENAIL: cooldrazix @ yahoo.com
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

So it is crappy because Facebook, google and YouTube are not doing it? Really Must all sites be like facebook and google?
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 05, 2015
i use plug-in for the mobile version of my site.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by webcalculator(m): 6:18pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

Thanks jare your brain is there. That is one point and you can even point more from same face book. Like that chat interface on pc and mobile (old mobiles and opera mini) responsive design can't give you that
I totally disagree that facebook choose to do mobile site because of data.
You do mobile site when you can't get your users to view all your features at a glance.
Now, could it be possible for you to navigate to your chats if Facebook did a RWD. Same goes to YouTube.
RWD is good if you can take users around your site by mere scrolling. Learn it bro
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by FincoApps(m): 6:25pm On Aug 05, 2015
Dude, the fact that network speeds are fast does not invalidate the OPs point of RWD downloading unnecessary data. *smh*
romme2u:

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by FincoApps(m): 6:26pm On Aug 05, 2015
Is that not the OP's point, it's not appropriate to use RWD on large websites. Some people are just here to cause confusion angry
musiwax:

You keep on harping about Google and facebook not using RWD, and basing your assumptions on this with considering multiple factors for their decision.

Facebook, Google and Twitter are web apps and not websites per say, which means their platforms are resources intensive and having RWD is pointless because of tailored content queries. This doesn't apply to a basic website and you can't possible use that as a benchmark for your conclusions. The new Google search algorithm actually rates website based on mobile friendliness and shows a text stating that the site is mobile friendly or not.

Please don't mislead people with mere assumptions without research. From the UX point of view, a seamless use experience is only achieved through RWD any other approach is simply a waste of valuable Dev resource which is counter productive.

Cheers
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by FincoApps(m): 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2015
gpproton:
This OP don't even understand the meaning of responsive design and is writing rubbish about web design.
Guess he needs help understanding it meaning, and it just designing web interface without declaring any major fixed size in the design and when it CSS3 you can even use a different style sheet for a specific HTML document size, try to learn something good OPee!

*smh* pot calling candle black
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Nipeks(m): 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2015
Responsive Design is a vague word with varing definitions.

My website http://www.postscroll.com will load a single column lite version with few or no images on mobile but loads an enhanced version with animations and more js when viewed on desktop from the same file without changing or redirecting URLs. This is all done on the server side using PHP sessing variables and a mobile detect class.

Some people will argue this is also a responsive design while others like the OP will rule out server side scripting.

This is why this argument might never end.
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by FincoApps(m): 6:30pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc, I noticed some people don't have good points to counter yours but they'll never agree that your points are valid. RWD cannot be replaced yet but that doesn't mean the OP's points are rubbish.

Some people's problem is that they read too much grin grin grin
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by webcalculator(m): 6:41pm On Aug 05, 2015
FincoApps:
directonpc, I noticed some people don't have good points to counter yours but they'll never agree that your points are valid. RWD cannot be replaced yet but that doesn't mean the OP's points are rubbish.

There are reasons to do RWD instead of mobile site, Op showed that he doesn't know these reasons.
One of the primary reason to do a mobile site is that you want your users to see all your site features at a glance. You don't want them to scroll down to find features. If facebook did RWD, you would prefer to always browse with laptop instead of phone. Also the site will not interest people because some features would be way down that the user can't reach them.
The bottom line is, if your sites features are too much consider mobile site but if they are something people can feel comfortable scrolling down use RWD
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by ConquerAll(m): 6:48pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

My dear OP, responsive design is the way to go, no doubt about that; it's the present and the future. You better embrace it for your own good if you're a webmaster anyway.

*The reason why it looks like it sucks sometime is that most acclaimed wed designers don't even understand it well, let alone, know how to implement it properly. What most designers do is to just grab a said 'responsive' theme, upload it and baaam, they have a responsive website. It's not done that way. I can't remember any theme that I used for any of my projects which I did not modify considerably to fit the project in question. Responsive design is not for a lazy designer because you have to test, fine-tune and test again and again in order to get it right.

- As for the issue on data consumption and load time, this is hardly a factor because we have faster internet networks now unlike before and any serious designer or webmaster that value speed should already know how to cut down on image size without affecting image quality much using available image editors or web services (e.g, kraken.io).

- As for device/browser support, a good responsive website will display acceptably on modern opera mini. What do you expect when browsing with my old Nokia 3110 phone? You also have to know that the world is moving forward and so should you. Today, Windowa XP is no longer supported and with time, its IE8 will die a natural death. Most newer themes don't even support anything less than IE9 now. For me, browser support forms part of my agreement with clients. If you wish to support obsolete browsers, then prepare to pay extra, no joke.

- As for why Facebook, YouTube and Google are not using it, permit me to say that they have their reasons and don't ever forget they already have native Apps for most of the mobile platforms already. Most notable websites have already embraced RWD (cnn, aljazeera, etc) and many website owners are paying thousands of dollars just to switch to RWD because it's the present and future combined.

I have the following in Support of RWD:

1) One and same content for both desktop and mobile - makes lot of sense.

2) One and same Domain/URL for both desktop and mobile - very good for SEO and the same Google is very much in favour of r/websites

3) No need to maintain two different renderer/template - makes life a lot easier for dear webmasters

4) RWD is future-proof - renders well on newer devices/browsers. MV may require periodic tweaking for newer devices/browsers

--

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 7:33pm On Aug 05, 2015
ConquerAll:

My dear OP, responsive design is the way to go, no doubt about that; it's the present and the future. You better embrace it for your own good if you're a webmaster anyway.

*The reason why it looks like it sucks sometime is that most acclaimed wed designers don't even understand it well, let alone, know how to implement it properly. What most designers do is to just grab a said 'responsive' theme, upload it and baaam, they have a responsive website. It's not done that way. I can't remember any theme that I used for any of my projects which I did not modify considerably to fit the project in question. Responsive design is not for a lazy designer because you have to test, fine-tune and test again and again in order to get it right.

- As for the issue on data consumption and load time, this is hardly a factor because we have faster internet networks now unlike before and any serious designer or webmaster that value speed should already know how to cut down on image size without affecting image quality much using available image editors or web services (e.g, kraken.io).

- As for device/browser support, a good responsive website will display acceptably on modern opera mini. What do you expect when browsing with my old Nokia 3110 phone? You also have to know that the world is moving forward and so should you. Today, Windowa XP is no longer supported and with time, its IE8 will die a natural death. Most newer themes don't even support anything less than IE9 now. For me, browser support forms part of my agreement with clients. If you wish to support obsolete browsers, then prepare to pay extra, no joke.

- As for why Facebook, YouTube and Google are not using it, permit me to say that they have their reasons and don't ever forget they already have native Apps for most of the mobile platforms already. Most notable websites have already embraced RWD (cnn, aljazeera, etc) and many website owners are paying thousands of dollars just to switch to RWD because it's the present and future combined.

I have the following in Support of RWD:

1) One and same content for both desktop and mobile - makes lot of sense.

2) One and same Domain/URL for both desktop and mobile - very good for SEO and the same Google is very much in favour of r/websites

3) No need to maintain two different renderer/template - makes life a lot easier for dear webmasters

4) RWD is future-proof - renders well on newer devices/browsers. MV may require periodic tweaking for newer devices/browsers

--
Easier to develop doesn't mean better product (responsive design makes life easier but doesn't give better products)

Most notable
websites have already embraced RWD (cnn, aljazeera,
etc)

Browse cnn, aj and Facebook on opera mini and give me feedback which one gives u better user friendly experience
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 7:39pm On Aug 05, 2015
scribespad:

So it is crappy because Facebook, google and YouTube are not doing it? Really Must all sites be like facebook and google?
Be like them or be more successful than them (responsive design won't take u that far)
Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by directonpc(m): 7:43pm On Aug 05, 2015
FincoApps:

Some people are even taking it personal to the point of saying that I don't know this I don't know that... Yes I don't know everything but like Goodluck will say "America will know" my own America is Facebook and google! Them sabi pass us and will always adapt the best

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by stynhaq(m): 8:21pm On Aug 05, 2015
In my opinion, the responsive Design argument is just like the other similar arguments in IT in general - there are no rules of thumb.

Use whatever solves your problems.

Because Google doesn't use RWD doesn't mean it is bad practice.

FYI: Microsoft uses Responsive design. They are both American and Technology giants too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 05, 2015
FincoApps:
Is that not the OP's point, it's not appropriate to use RWD on large websites. Some people are just here to cause confusion angry

No sir

RWD on website - yes
RWD on large website - depends on the technology being used
RWD on web app - not always
Web app is not the same as website.

1 Like

Re: Why Responsive Design Sucks And Reduces The Mobile Friendliness Of Your Site. by Xtracoool(m): 8:34pm On Aug 05, 2015
directonpc:

You can try this: get an image that is about 4mb resize it to 32x32 using css, load the page and see if the web browsing won't download 4mb of 32x32 image. The big players know this... We are all learning

The OP is wrong and so are you. Am more of a backend person but am pretty decent with Foundation 5 front-end framework. And it has this cool thing called interchange, which basically enables you to swap images and even an entire section depending on the screen size.

LinkedIn is actually responsive am only sure of that.

Threads like this should only be opened by professionals in the field.

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bloggers How Much Do You Make A Month. / How To Place Ads On Facebook / 10 Powerful Secrets Of Successful Bloggers Exposed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.