Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,120 members, 7,953,460 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:41 PM

My Thoughts On The Worthless Death-bed Repentance. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts On The Worthless Death-bed Repentance. (884 Views)

Can You Return A Certificate For Engaging In Exams Malpractice After Repentance? / Is Restitution Necessary For Repentance? / To Be Born-again: 6 Practical Signs Of Repentance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Thoughts On The Worthless Death-bed Repentance. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
Christ said,"strive to enter by the narrow gate for many,I say to you,shall seek to enter,and shall not be able"Luke 13:24.And couldn't I prove Christ a Liar saying to Myself:What is the use,going through so much trouble?I will live as I please,and indulge my senses,Then when I feel that death is at hand,I can confess my sins,and still go to heaven.Of course,these terms seems flattering and inviting to every Sinner,that no wonder,they flock to lay greedy hold of such a worthless religion; which may present an opportunity of being saved without the rigour and trouble of a Holy life. Some ignorant deluded souls vainly conceit that these five words, 'Lord! have mercy upon me,'are efficacious to send them to heaven,that no wonder an Old divine once said,"Repentance damns more than Sin.Now,oh,sinner! sinner! give me,if you can,an example of real conversion where repentance was deferred till the hour of death! There is but one well-authenticated case,and that is the thief on Calvary.“There is one,” says St.Augustine,“so do not despair.it is the only one,do not trust too presumptuously".Ask the Apostolic Fathers,those enlightened interpreters of Scripture,what they think of such a worthless repentance.Isidore calls it suspicion.Bernard calls it rash and presumptuous.Cyprian,Ambrose, Gregory,Chrysostom,Thomas aquinas all laugh at such a folly as utterly ridiculous and generally speaking,worthless.“I dare not say,” writes St. Augustine,“that one or the other individual who has repented on his death-bed is lost forever,but I cannot have any hope that he is in heaven".It remains true that the thief on the cross repented at the last gasp Luk 23:39-43.But You would do well to remember:His repentance was one of the miracles at Christ’s death, and he glorified God more at his death than you could,if you had been a penitent all your life.So,Therefore the sinner’s hope is a vain one.If it is probable that God will give you the grace of true repentance then,why has God said quite the contrary?Why has he never uttered the least syllable hinting that he is ready to give you such a grace?Why does he rather threaten in the opposite sense? “I will laugh,I will mock,I will punish,I will not hear; you shall die in your sin,” and lest we've forgotton,a thorough,and radical change of life cannot be effected instanteneously.If you love your sins yesterday,certainly,you will love them better today;If you Love Da-grin yesterday ah,certainly,you would love wizkid today and if you love rick-ross yesterday,you would love certainly love lil wayne today So My Friend,prepare to meet thy God and do not put your eternity to such a desperate chance.Spurgeon once said," The young may die;the adult must! To sleep in infancy is to sleep in a siege; to sleep in youth is to slumber during the attack.What! Will you that are so near the Maker's court still put Him off with the question "Go your way?" What! Procrastinate now, when the knife is at your throat—when the worm is at the heart of the tree and the branches have begun to wither—when the molars in your mouth are failing even now, because they are getting fewer and fewer and your eyes that look out of the windows are darkened? The dried up and yellow leaf has come on you, and you are still not ready for your doom!" and again remember those words of Augustine and Aquinas "God has promised you today for your repentance and not tommorow for your procrastination" and "God who pardons the repentant has never promised tommorow to repent in".
Re: My Thoughts On The Worthless Death-bed Repentance. by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 26, 2015
Re: My Thoughts On The Worthless Death-bed Repentance. by biggerboyc(m): 3:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
@Op what are u implying,are u saying it is possible or not?
Re: My Thoughts On The Worthless Death-bed Repentance. by kevoh(m): 3:11pm On Jul 26, 2015
Op Biko, let's have some paragraphs in your copy and paste write-up.
Re: My Thoughts On The Worthless Death-bed Repentance. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
@Kevoh.this is based on prayerful searching and meditation.all the authors I quoted are duly recognised so i don't understand you.

(1) (Reply)

Michael Jackson's Sister Recount Regrets As She Converts To Islam / The Pasuma Saga / Don't Wait For Stones, Act Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.