Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,659 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

3 Nigerian Players Expected To Break Into Their Club’s First Team This Season - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 3 Nigerian Players Expected To Break Into Their Club’s First Team This Season (734 Views)

Jamie Vardy: Nigerian Players Keep Talking In Pidgin English, I Want To Learn It / Daniel Amokachi Visits His Twin Sons In Turkey Ahead Of Their Club Debut. Photos / Man City Confirms Iheanacho's First Team Promotion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

3 Nigerian Players Expected To Break Into Their Club’s First Team This Season by mans114: 9:29am On Jul 26, 2015
Written by Mansur Abubakar @ mansur_112

The 2015/2016 European football season kicks off in few weeks’ time with some of Nigeria’s young players trying to stake a claim to first team action from their various clubs with mesmerizing displays at the ongoing pre-season friendlies and tournaments.
Based on performances, here are the four that look most likely to break into their side’s league quota for next term as they hope to make the next big step in their careers.

Kelechi Iheanacho- entering his third year with English giants Manchester City, the stage finally looks set for the 2013 U17 World Cup winner to be part of the former EPL champions for next season after two loan stints and time with the club’s second team.
His nicely taken goal and assist for City’s new boy Raheem Sterling against Roma at the MCG stadium in America was a testament to how well the attacking midfielder has come off age and adapted to being with the ‘big boys’.
Iheanacho also shone on City’s tour of the United States 12 months ago, but did not obtain a work permit enabling him to play for their youth-team until earlier this year. Now manager Manuel Pellegrini is expected to underline his faith in the 18-year-old by drafting him into the first-team squad this season if Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic leave the Etihad.
Iheanacho admitted that he is desperate to break into the senior side after once again proving that he can make an impact at the highest level.
He said: ‘The manager has promised me nothing. He’s just told me to keep working hard every day. So as yet I don’t know what my chance is, but I pray that it will come soon.
‘Last season, everything was okay. It was just about getting a work permit, but everything is sorted out now. I am able to play for Man City now.
‘It was nice to get a goal, I feel good about it. This season I hope to be here. I’ve been training hard with them during pre-season and I hope this is the time for me to break into the first-team.’ The player said.
Dele Alli- nearly two years ago, Alli was at the centre of a transfer tussle between Arsenal (who are known for their affection for wonder kids) and Liverpool, at the time League one club MK Dons refused to sell knowing full well that a better offer would come for the talented youngster and right they were as Tottenham Hotspur finally landed the player for £12 million while the lad rejoined Dons on loan for the remainder of the season.
At the moment, Alli, is proving Daniel Levy (Spurs chairman) right to have splashed the cash after marking his first Tottenham run-out with a goal as Brentford were overcome 2-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly last week.
‘Obviously I’m delighted to get the goal and it was a good team performance and we got the win,’ he told the club’s website after the match. It’s pre-season and it’s always good for confidence to go into the season winning games.
‘It is a huge weight off my shoulders getting that first goal because sometimes you can get into a run of form where you just can’t get that goal and I’m happy to continue where I left off last season.’
With what he has shown so far, many pundits sense coach Mauricio Pochettino will definitely keep the talented youngster with the team hoping he’ll turn out be another Gareth Bale in the making.
Musa Mohammed- the national U20 skipper Musa Mohammed posted a solid debut for new Turkish club Istanbul Basaksehir in a pre-season game against Belgium’s biggest team, Anderlecht on Tuesday.
Both teams played out a goalless draw in Holland with Musa sporting jersey No 25 playing the second 45 minutes. “He was very solid, delivered three top-class crosses and also defended very well,” a source informed AfricanFootball.com
“Officials were very impressed with his performance and how he has quickly integrated into the group after just a handful of trainings.
“On the evidence of what he produced against Anderlecht, he will certainly have a big role to play in this club.”
Apart from his usual commanding displays at the back, the Kano-born player is an amazing free kick taker which will also come as a strong asset in his bid to cement a place in the team.
Re: 3 Nigerian Players Expected To Break Into Their Club’s First Team This Season by proficienc(m): 12:16pm On Jul 26, 2015
Nacho all the way!!

(1) (Reply)

5 Things We Learned From Westbrom 2-3 Chelsea / 3sc Vs Abia Warriors Live. Final (3SC 2- ABIA WARRIORS 0) / Get Your Jerseys Here With Free Customization .... Hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.