Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,061 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School (35100 Views)

Ariyibi Ayomide: UNILAG Student Commits Suicide By Drinking Sniper (Photo) / BSU Medical Student, Victor, Is Dead (Photos) / Agbo Odeh-Hillary Of BSU Breaks Academic Record After 17 Carryovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by ryd3(m): 2:04pm On Jul 26, 2015
This story is touching. How many more would be frustrated even before reaching the labour market?

Medical Students of the Benue State University, Makurdi, have deposited the coffin of their dead colleague at the office of the Vice-Chancellor in protest.

SUNDAY PUNCH gathered that the deceased, Idoko Nicholas Inalegwu, died in controversial circumstances after receiving the news of his withdrawal after spending 10 years in medical school.

Idoko was withdrawn for failing a re-sit.

A student, who spoke to one of our correspondents on telephone on condition of anonymity, said they believed that Idoko took his life because he could not bear the news that his 10 years in medical was in vain.

“He had been talking about it; that he wished he died a painless death; that the school had finished him. There is nowhere in the world that a medical student is withdrawn after spending 10 years,” he said.

The student said the students had complained about the manner in which examinations were conducted, where re-sits were prolonged for up to one year, as against the stipulated six weeks, with no efforts to engage the students.

The students, after an altercation at the Benue State University Teaching Hospital mortuary, obtained the coffin of their dead colleague and marched to the VC’s office, vowing not to leave until their grievances were resolved.

All efforts to reach the Vice-Chancellor, Mrs. Charity Angya, for comments proved been abortive as she neither picked several calls made to her mobile phone nor responded to a text message sent to her as of the time of filling this report.

http://www.punchng.com/news/benue-varsity-students-dump-colleagues-corpse-at-vcs-office/

http://3.bp..com/-oXafU0z4Zls/VbSmMB2JSSI/AAAAAAAACso/zmPOqOseDYg/s400/med3.jpg

1 Like

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
So sad but, it hasn't goten 2d level of him taking his life..

RIP 2 Him

9 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by malawi14(m): 2:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
Its shocking tho! I feel his pain.........rest in peace to d dead

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by TRADELYN: 2:14pm On Jul 26, 2015
What a poor mentality he had. undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Luizkid(m): 2:30pm On Jul 26, 2015
this is very sad, but people have gone through even worst. suicide is never the way out...
But i really feel for these students o, being in school for almost 10yrs Studying an un-accredited course.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by veekid(m): 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
chai otooorrrcha
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by WhatDoYouMean: 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
10 what
I am quite sure the parents of this dude forced him to study medicine. Look at the outcome now. A glorious destiny just wasted like that.
This reminds me of the movie "3 Idiots". A guy committed suicide at Imperial College of Engineering because of his lecturer. Finally, another guy finished the project the guy had started.
God forbid! My portion shall no man take! Just hit like to say amen... grin grin grin

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by helphelp: 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
Doctor that never was
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
After 10 years of what? Wow, this in incredible.

But wait a minute, why would someone kill his/her self? Is Bill Gates a graduate, is Dangote a graduate? Even Buhari, is he a graduate?

May God forgives him his SIN(S) because he had no right killing himself.

May his soul RIP though.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
only in buharis tenure

too many crisis

RIP bro

8 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Mogidi: 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
Why?
Bill Gates never had any degrees, see where he ended up. Closer to home, Buhari has no education, check where he is now.
Education/Certificate is not the only avenue to success.

20 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Barselonia(m): 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
I don't know Why if woman are in power,they feel like God.....

That was one of my prayer point when I was in school that I don't want a woman to be my project supervisor and my prayer was answered. ...

Just imagine.. .. a woman v.c.... people do say a lady Have a soft mind.....Na lie oo
Medical student spend 10years and after everything make he withdrawal from school.....

Suo.... kilode.... what can fa undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by lonelydora: 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
All these suicide and suicide threat news on Nairaland today is becoming fearful. The man didn't think of all the billionaires ruling the world that are school dropouts.

SUICIDE IS AN ACT OF COWARDICE.

4 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Elslim: 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
God win
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Ishilove: 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
The challenges of being a "Campus Methuselah". Too bad

2 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Demmocrats(m): 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by sokunji(m): 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
rip
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by kfrosh: 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
Hmmm; I sometimes wonder what our education system is turning us into. And peeps here were discarding the suicidal attempt posted here some hours ago by a unilorite.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Kelvin0(m): 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
This is how bad our tertiary institution has become... making us believe that our success in life depends solely on good academic performance, where as it is not so in the real world.

They reward people who do well academically and chastise those who don't, failing to realise that if one does not function well academically he can as well do so in other things.

If i may ask, what are the duties of course advisers and why do we have students guidance and counselling sections in the universities?

who cares about Dangote's class of degree now, or whether he even attended primary school or not; we all celebrate him today...it's high time we re-visit and restructure the world's educational system else more and more students will resort to taking their own lives.

PS: There is always something to live 4
#SuicideIsNeverTheAnswer
R. I. P to the dead

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Sunofgod(m): 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
Waste of school fee's . . . . RIP
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
Obviously this wasnt managed properly by the school
The school should have advised him to withdraw much earlier when they discovered that he wasnt doing well rather than wait this long
They should have worked with him and looked at other career options years ago.
He may not have been a good doctor but he could have been good in something else.

Suicide is not the answer, but he is gone now
Hopefully the school will learn from this tragedy and do something to avert this from happening again in the future

2 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
Very sad development. Majority of Nigerian institutions of higher learning have been frustrating many people from achieving their dreams and purposes.

I feel the sad and gloom the student must have felt but I still believe suicide wasn't the most appropriate action.

RIP!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by elantraceey(f): 3:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
Rip to him.

But taking his own life isn't a solution to his problem
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by 1Cor10vs26(m): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
The way schools in Nigeria treat students is sickening, RIP to him

2 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by nonnilee007(m): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
D frustrations frm our institutions too much. RIP bro
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
BuT why

Shey na book important reach dat 1?
U don forget sey Bill Gates sef no finish school

My signature might be worth ur click
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Jamean(f): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
A branch has been cut off.
A lineage has been cut short

So sad. Reminds me of the student who committed suicide in the movie - 3 Idiots embarassed

Nigerian schools - frustrating students since 19kokoro

2 Likes

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Noah13: 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
Finally decided to end his misery, but didn't do it the right way.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by gbaskiboy: 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
This country can frustrate person mehn!
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by FagsamPHP(m): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
Oga o!
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by JudgeWilson(m): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
T

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic, Nekede Owerri FORUM. / FUTA Final Year Students Sign Out In Style (Photos) / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 150-Year-Old The Riemann Hypothesis - Bbc World Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.