Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School (35081 Views)

Ariyibi Ayomide: UNILAG Student Commits Suicide By Drinking Sniper (Photo) / BSU Medical Student, Victor, Is Dead (Photos) / Agbo Odeh-Hillary Of BSU Breaks Academic Record After 17 Carryovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by daey118(m): 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
So sad but, it hasn't goten 2d level of him taking his life..

RIP 2 Him
10 yrs in med skl is nt freestyle o....the depression could have killed him anyway...nt like suicide was right tho..
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Alezy(m): 5:47pm On Jul 26, 2015
dbaggy46:
I dnt blame him in anyway cos its so painful to loose all u've worked for in 10yrs in a day though I am also a victim of this xame issue in Esut a5ta spending 4yrs in Esut I was asked to go bt it took the intervention of my parents nd folks for me to recover frm dt incident bt as long as there is lyf,2nd chance is always there.its a pity he took his lyfe at the xpense of Education.RIP
my brother, we all kw the university senate re very hrtless n wicked but taking ur own life at the Xpence of education? ? mad.

In the first place, u re not guaranteed a job after graduation that means u can graduate as something n live as another thing. Some finally end up a good business men/women.

rip to him anyway
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Glocal1: 6:04pm On Jul 26, 2015
Jed14:
Hello everyone,let me just brief this.
I actually finished my ssce at the age of 15 In 2012,I
was told I was too young for Uni so I wrote Jamb
2013 @ age 16,I actually passed but was screened
out during p.utme,I also wrote for poly(yabatech)but
was not chosen...instead a lecturer told me to opt
for pt which I did..I still wrote jamb tho(2014) but I
didn't put my all In the exam maybe because I was
doing pt..I had 190 and choose unaab but unaab's
cutoff was 200...so I just gave up on writing
jamb....but the problem is that my mates are now in
200l,300l and am not just enjoying schooling...I ll
actually finish my Nd next year october or
november....Am wondering if I should write jamb
next year or should just go for IT so I can go for
Hnd....am just confused,really need advice pls...
Graduate with distinction or upper credit and apply for direct entry to uni, or u write another JAMB. U won't regret attending a uni, its much worthwhile.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Chartey(m): 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2015
pawesome:
Dts ma alma mata....de hvnt accredited d course fully buh d students cnt jst use dia sense n change course bcz state govt pay dem upto 100k monthly...d medical sch is comfy so is d hostel wit 24hrs electricity n a serene environs..so most f dem re jst dia to show case cz de re d envy f d whole sch buh dose f dem wey get sense dn change course since...my mates dt we did rems wit n am nw serving stil de 300L is it E or F self....i dn forget buh de re actually stuck dia till accreditation is fully done f wich i dn de hear f am since my rems..
They can still change schools and get paid. The Benue medical students in other schools are also getting paid.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 26, 2015
I suffered something similar, tho not comparable in magnitude, in that same institution. I read Chemistry and Carry Over kept raining like its doom's day. I spent six years doing a 4-year discipline and ended up with a depleted CGP embarassed. RIP Idoko cry
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by favourmic(m): 7:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
dearpreye:

You're still repeating the same stereotyping!

Lolz bro understand how it feels
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by VanOmiyale: 8:18pm On Jul 26, 2015
Barselonia:

Nah.... they would Have given him alternative Since... b4 it reach 10years or Better still change of course, at All at All he would finish with pass
Let me educate you a little a bit. When a student is asked to withdraw from a course, it is the responsibility of the student to collect a change of course form to another course. It has nothing to do with the school management and that is why they appoint student advisors for each student but unfortunately most students don't consult with their advisors. The school authorities has no blame in this matter the guy should have taken responsibilith for his own life.

1 Like

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by adsami1: 8:26pm On Jul 26, 2015
ryd3:
This story is touching. How many more would be frustrated even before reaching the labour market?

Medical Students of the Benue State University, Makurdi, have deposited the coffin of their dead colleague at the office of the Vice-Chancellor in protest.

SUNDAY PUNCH gathered that the deceased, Idoko Nicholas Inalegwu, died in controversial circumstances after receiving the news of his withdrawal after spending 10 years in medical school.

Idoko was withdrawn for failing a re-sit.

A student, who spoke to one of our correspondents on telephone on condition of anonymity, said they believed that Idoko took his life because he could not bear the news that his 10 years in medical was in vain.

“He had been talking about it; that he wished he died a painless death; that the school had finished him. There is nowhere in the world that a medical student is withdrawn after spending 10 years,” he said.

The student said the students had complained about the manner in which examinations were conducted, where re-sits were prolonged for up to one year, as against the stipulated six weeks, with no efforts to engage the students.

The students, after an altercation at the Benue State University Teaching Hospital mortuary, obtained the coffin of their dead colleague and marched to the VC’s office, vowing not to leave until their grievances were resolved.

All efforts to reach the Vice-Chancellor, Mrs. Charity Angya, for comments proved been abortive as she neither picked several calls made to her mobile phone nor responded to a text message sent to her as of the time of filling this report.

http://www.punchng.com/news/benue-varsity-students-dump-colleagues-corpse-at-vcs-office/

http://3.bp..com/-oXafU0z4Zls/VbSmMB2JSSI/AAAAAAAACso/zmPOqOseDYg/s400/med3.jpg

Truth is nobdy has rite2take his/her own life or dat of som1....u ddnt make one y end one? Howeva u n I aren't actually in his shoes2knw y h decided2die...no one can fantom d human mind except God
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by soonest(f): 8:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
Barselonia:
I don't know Why if woman are in power,they feel like God.....

That was one of my prayer point when I was in school that I don't want a woman to be my project supervisor and my prayer was answered. ...

Just imagine.. .. a woman v.c.... people do say a lady Have a soft mind.....Na lie oo
Medical student spend 10years and after everything make he withdrawal from school.....

Suo.... kilode.... what can fa undecided
Your misogynistic outlook on life stinks. Did the woman make the law? Can she single handedly change the law? What's the Senate for? FYI, if you fail resit twice you fail out even if you have spent 20years. It's unfortunate the poor guy took his life so never you blame the VC or let alone make it a woman thing. Hope i have made my self clear
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 26, 2015
Barselonia:

That was one of my prayer point when I was in school that I don't want a woman to be my project supervisor and my prayer was answered. ...

Just imagine.. .. a woman v.c.... people do say a lady Have a soft mind.....Na lie oo
Medical student spend 10years and after everything make he withdrawal from school.....

So if a person fails, it's because they have a female supervisor? I think you have a problem.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Chartey(m): 9:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
VanOmiyale:
Let me educate you a little a bit. When a student is asked to withdraw from a course, it is the responsibility of the student to collect a change of course form to another course. It has nothing to do with the school management and that is why they appoint student advisors for each student but unfortunately most students don't consult with their advisors. The school authorities has no blame in this matter the guy should have taken responsibilith for his own life.
In medical school, the proper thing was to have called him, told him, counseled him, and worked on him psychologically. I'm assuming they didn't do these. You don't allow someone to spend all these years only to see his withdrawn status on the notice board. Many of our schools are guilty of this. The feeling of emptiness that follows withdrawal from medical school at advanced levels is indescribable. You think of all the wasted years of hard work and feel like crumbling. If you're not mentally strong and/or have no one to encourage you, you may never recover. I'm speaking from experience.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Sagamite(m): 9:17pm On Jul 26, 2015
Thank God this mentally unsound person was not allowed to be a doctor.

Secondly, is it not the norm in Nigeria (like in the UK and US) that if one is studying medicine, within the first few years they obtain a degree in another subject so that if they don't make it in obtaining a degree in medicine, then they have something to fall back on?
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Chartey(m): 10:19pm On Jul 26, 2015
Sagamite:
Thank God this mentally unsound person was not allowed to be a doctor.

Secondly, is it not the norm in Nigeria (like in the UK and US) that if one is studying medicine, within the first few years they obtain a degree in another subject so that if they don't make it in obtaining a degree in medicine, then they have something to fall back on?
It is not the norm. I guess life has not dealt with you. You're probably privileged.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by whandeykoal(f): 11:28pm On Jul 26, 2015
Barselonia:

That was one of my prayer point when I was in school that I don't want a woman to be my project supervisor and my p[img][/img]rayer was answered. ...

Medical student spend 10years and after severything make he withdrawal from school.....

same here o ,i prayed against a female supervisor n God answered my prayer grin
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by mignone(f): 1:49am On Jul 27, 2015
Barselonia:

U can't generalise, friend. & most often than nt, it's ppl's attitudes (of men especially) dt make sm women leaders turn out to wateva dey became(nt justifiable tho). the present V. C. of TASUED, Ogun State is a woman & doing wonderfully well. Many male lecturers don't like her though cos she's highly pincipled.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by mignone(f): 1:55am On Jul 27, 2015
tearoses:
Obviously this wasnt managed properly by the school
The school should have advised him to withdraw much earlier when they discovered that he wasnt doing well rather than wait this long
They should have worked with him and looked at other career options years ago.
He may not have been a good doctor but he could have been good in something else.

Suicide is not the answer, but he is gone now
Hopefully the school will learn from this tragedy and do something to avert this from happening again in the future

haven't we wondered Y ev1 wants 2 b a doctor?believe me, he must av seen warning signs bt trying 2 ignore them& wif d Nigerian mentality of 'squeezing it fru'. he probably wrote sm of d core exams twice or kept repeating classes. also bearing in mind d ASUU strike actions & d likes.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Abatemtem(m): 6:47am On Jul 27, 2015
He needed not kill himself. He should have crossed over to another department. I'm have a classmate who was admitted into Dentistry in 1999 but he's just in part 3 now...RIP anyway

1 Like

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by arootech: 6:56am On Jul 27, 2015
This is frustrating.......after spending 10 years in skul only to be sent packing...RIP bro.......but there are other appropriate options than suicide....
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Sagamite(m): 7:24am On Jul 27, 2015
Chartey:
It is not the norm. I guess life has not dealt with you. You're probably privileged.

No, life has not dealt with me.

Even if life does deal with me, I would not kill myself over something I am not capable of achieving. I would look for something else I am capable of achieving.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Abtecha(m): 8:26am On Jul 27, 2015
Wow!!! It is well
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by SAMATC(m): 9:00am On Jul 27, 2015
JudgeWilson:
T
It is a very sad news. He should have asked for change of course at the early years of his study. May his soul RIP.

1 Like

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by calebbintus: 9:57am On Jul 27, 2015
TRADELYN:
What a poor mentality he had. undecided

You lack sense
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Vickidanny7: 11:22am On Jul 27, 2015
My brother you are a coward life will be a better place without guys like you,I wish you burn in hell.F*ck the dead

1 Like

Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by mordouc(m): 12:38pm On Jul 27, 2015
Taylor86:
only in buharis tenure

too many crisis

RIP bro
No sense in ur mighty skull. What has buhari got to do with this?
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Chartey(m): 1:15pm On Jul 27, 2015
Sagamite:

No, life has not dealt with me.

Even if life does deal with me, I would not kill myself over something I am not capable of achieving. I would look for something else I am capable of achieving.
Great mentality! Our mentality is a product of our upbringing, environmental input and personal experiences. His was different and I can't fault him for that even if I believe his action was too extreme.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by fredosky111(m): 2:08pm On Jul 27, 2015
as painful as d demise of dis young dude is i wonda y d media is misleading ppl abt d circumstances of hs death.may i state here categorically dat dis dude did nt commit sucuide bt died in an accident.Although his withdrawal can b seen as a principal contributory factor he didn't commit suicide.evn d withdrawal of d ppl affected as a result of d protest by d medical students av been cancelled.u can facebk me .iorhen alfred is my user name to read d detail abt dis dude demise
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by pawesome(m): 2:16pm On Jul 27, 2015
Chartey:
They can still change schools and get paid. The Benue medical students in other schools are also getting paid.
Hw sure re u dt u cn get d course in anoda sch?...dts y all f dem re stuck dia..most f dem either change to biology or chemistry wile odas re patient
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
[quote author=Barselonia post=36292519]I don't know Why if woman are in power,they feel like God.....

Suo.... kilode.... what can fa

Kai mechionu. How will u open ur mouth and speak rubbish? If only u know d repairs dis" woman VC" as u call her has done due to d damages of past "men VCs". No dey talk anyhow a beg u.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by Chartey(m): 6:02pm On Jul 27, 2015
pawesome:

Hw sure re u dt u cn get d course in anoda sch?...dts y all f dem re stuck dia..most f dem either change to biology or chemistry wile odas re patient
That's true.
Re: BSU Medical Student Commits Suicide Over Expulsion After 10 Years In School by tpiander: 6:10pm On Sep 25, 2015
crackhouse:
Wednesday is fast approaching. It's better we look for that guy before they come up with similar story here.

you are closely following the suicide threads, I've also seen you advocating posters to commit suicide.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ongoing Project At Nigeria Maritime University, okerenkoko warri southwest (Pics / FG Bans Underage Candidates From Taking Common Entrance Exams / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 150-Year-Old The Riemann Hypothesis - Bbc World Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.