Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment (1289 Views)

"How President Muhammadu Buhari Was Poisoned" Compiled Paper Floods Abuja(Photo) / Why President Buhari Was Absent From FEC Meeting Today - Lai Mohammed / President Buhari Was Misquoted: Like An Old Wine,he Gets Better With Age- Adesin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Elose11(m): 7:44am On Jul 28, 2015
The presidency monday stated that President Muhammadu Buhari was misquoted when he said his government would only favour the zones that voted for him during the election, assuring Nigerians that no part of the country would be left out under the present government.

Reacting to a video of the president during his US visit last week, Buhari’s media aide, Mallam Garba Shehu said the insinuation was a “social media commentary” that was not tenable.

In the video, Buhari had stated that Nigerians should not expect constituencies that gave him five per cent of the vote to be treated in the same manner as those that gave him 97 per cent of the vote during the elections.

But as he continued speaking, he clarified that even if tried to favour one constituency over another, the constitution would not allow him to do so, as he was expected to treat all parts of the country fairly.

However, the video, which went viral, has raised eyebrows with some Nigerians wondering if Buhari’s initial remark was a Freudian slip.

Dismissing this notion, Shehu said: “That is a social media commentary. Whoever says that is just making a social media commentary which is a discussion not regulated in accordance with journalism ethics.

“What the president meant to say was that the world of politics is seen as a reward system by which people expect to derive maximum support from giving maximum support and he meant to say that he is a different kind of leader and will govern in the interest of all.

“He repeated his famous quote that I belong to everybody and I belong to no one. He said he will be fair to all irrespective of how they voted and went on to say that the constitution of the country makes it compulsory for every Nigerian government to run all in livid administration.

“Under our constitution, everyone and every part of the country is protected. That is what he meant to say. So that line was taken out of the context in which the statement was made.

“Taking together in its contest, the president intended to reassure all the parts of this country that none will be neglected.”
[/b]The presidency monday stated that President Muhammadu Buhari was misquoted when he said his government would only favour the zones that voted for him during the election, assuring Nigerians that no part of the country would be left out under the present government.

Reacting to a video of the president during his US visit last week, Buhari’s media aide, Mallam Garba Shehu said the insinuation was a “social media commentary” that was not tenable.

In the video, Buhari had stated that Nigerians should not expect constituencies that gave him five per cent of the vote to be treated in the same manner as those that gave him 97 per cent of the vote during the elections.

But as he continued speaking, he clarified that even if tried to favour one constituency over another, the constitution would not allow him to do so, as he was expected to treat all parts of the country fairly.

However, the video, which went viral, has raised eyebrows with some Nigerians wondering if Buhari’s initial remark was a Freudian slip.

Dismissing this notion, Shehu said: “That is a social media commentary. Whoever says that is just making a social media commentary which is a discussion not regulated in accordance with journalism ethics.

“What the president meant to say was that the world of politics is seen as a reward system by which people expect to derive maximum support from giving maximum support and he meant to say that he is a different kind of leader and will govern in the interest of all.

“He repeated his famous quote that I belong to everybody and I belong to no one. He said he will be fair to all irrespective of how they voted and went on to say that the constitution of the country makes it compulsory for every Nigerian government to run all in livid administration.

“Under our constitution, everyone and every part of the country is protected. That is what he meant to say. So that line was taken out of the context in which the statement was made.

“Taking together in its contest, the president intended to reassure all the parts of this country that none will be neglected.”
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by OkoyeA1(m): 7:44am On Jul 28, 2015
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by ddippset(m): 7:45am On Jul 28, 2015
Mr Garba or whatever you call yourself don't even bother to explain to them. Abi wailers no go work again?

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by SouthernBreeze(m): 7:45am On Jul 28, 2015
H
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by PassingShot(m): 7:46am On Jul 28, 2015
Let the presidency apologize for the unfortunate statement and move on. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Otherique: 7:47am On Jul 28, 2015
I can't remember APC or even PMB as an individual admitting he is wrong on anything, just anything, i am subject to corrections though.

It takes a lot of courage to do that and I can think of only 2 sitting presidents who's done that.

President Yar'adua: Admitting that the electoral process that brought him to power was greatly flawed.

President GEJ: Admitting he underestimated Bokoharam.

PMB can never do such, he didn't even summon the courage to admit that he was wrong on saying that Gen. Abacha wasn't corrupt amidst the Millions of dollars stolen by Abacha being repatriated back home.

That's the type of President you have and I don't expect you to spare me your tirades.

PassingShot:

3 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by sunnyb0b0(m): 7:48am On Jul 28, 2015
PassingShot:

Not as simple as that.
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by oshyno(m): 7:50am On Jul 28, 2015
Chai. It must be a tough job defending the indefensible. if it wasn't that everybody watched the video they wud av denied as well and said he was qouted out of context. I really hoped Buhari will be different from others. I was dead wrong I can see.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Abbycite(m): 8:02am On Jul 28, 2015
I am not a bit surprise about d various mistalk attributed to d president. If u consider d xtent to which his campaign team tried to shield him from talking to Nigerians during d campaign.....I just knew dat sumtin was wrong with d man. He can hardly talk 4 five minutes without politically shooting himself in d knee....that's d more reason every sensible speech he ever gave are d ones he read from others' writeup....

3 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 28, 2015
PassingShot:
Exactly, the President should also watch his speeches.
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by PassingShot(m): 8:06am On Jul 28, 2015
Otherique:
I can't remember APC or even PMB as an individual admitting he is wrong on anything, just anything, i am subject to corrections though.

It takes a lot of courage to do that and I can think of only 2 sitting presidents who's done that.

President Yar'adua: Admitting that the electoral process that brought him to power was greatly flawed.

President GEJ: Admitting he underestimated Bokoharam.

PMB can never do such, he didn't even summon the courage to admit that he was wrong on saying that Gen. Abacha wasn't corrupt amidst the Millions of dollars stolen by Abacha being repatriated back home.

That's the type of President you have and I don't expect you to spare me your tirades.

How has my statement brought out this type of emotion pouring from you? To the extent that you expected tirade from me?

Got no time to waste.
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by lomprico(m): 8:17am On Jul 28, 2015
I dnt understand o! I watched the clip n I saw n heard bubu saying it. Which one is misquoted again? Abi was someone talking in d background n bubu just moving his lips? Pls someone explain.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by iamboody(m): 8:20am On Jul 28, 2015
PDP wailers don't ever understands anything. They are children of hate.
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by lomprico(m): 8:20am On Jul 28, 2015
Abbycite:
I am not a bit surprise about d various mistalk attributed to d president. If u consider d xtent to which his campaign team tried to shield him from talking to Nigerians during d campaign.....I just knew dat sumtin was wrong with d man. He can hardly talk 4 five minutes without politically shooting himself in d knee....that's d more reason every sensible speech he ever gave are d ones he read from others' writeup....
I guess we wont miss mama peace afterall grin

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by rawtouch: 8:21am On Jul 28, 2015
I smell lies...
Next we will be told it was his stunt double that made another statement, getting tired of this government that talks from both sides of their mouth.....

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Tecnonews24: 8:23am On Jul 28, 2015
change u, want change u have. let it not get into chains.
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Iamsupaboi(m): 8:23am On Jul 28, 2015
Prince Chima aka Supaboi is a fast rising rapper. The self acclaimed music Architect is one to reckon with. He's got it all from punch lines, comic flows, foreign assents, good delivery, local assents, swags and of cause Energy.. This handsome Lagos breed rapper is far more than a choice when sweet/good music comes to your mind. Follow him on Twitter @Iamsupaboi
Get his #throwbck hit Oju Uche
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/9a66d00c
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Elose11(m): 8:30am On Jul 28, 2015
Buhari’s 95 %, 5% Comment: President Denies, Says It Is A Social Media Creation

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by bjdon: 8:35am On Jul 28, 2015
Every time Buhari opens his mouth, he gives his handlers migraine. it's becoming clear now why he avoided the Presidential debates, Nigerians would have seen just how clueless he really is.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by gratiaeo(m): 8:36am On Jul 28, 2015
Defending Buhari blunder must be a very big task

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by jmoore(m): 8:37am On Jul 28, 2015

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 28, 2015
We ve gotten the message from DAFTUS so all this damage control iS not helping in any way

3 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by alexlee50: 8:39am On Jul 28, 2015
Well let us pray so, so that we all can build this country together to world power
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 28, 2015
Elose11:
The presidency monday stated that President Muhammadu Buhari was misquoted when he said his government would only favour the zones that voted for him during the election, assuring Nigerians that no part of the country would be left out under the present government.

[/b]The presidency monday stated that President Muhammadu Buhari was misquoted when he said his government would only favour the zones that voted for him during the election, assuring Nigerians that no part of the country would be left out under the present government.

MADNESS IN D NORTH.
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by tempo37: 8:41am On Jul 28, 2015
iamboody:
PDP wailers don't ever understands anything. They are children of hate.
i can see u hv been masturbating awhile, its bad for d soul.

4 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by condralbede(m): 8:43am On Jul 28, 2015
Garba shehu STFU......For How long will you be lying to usin d name of doing your job,by covering baba blunders.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by UncleJudax(m): 8:43am On Jul 28, 2015
Buhari is used to decrees, and not a constitution. Evidently enough, 'militariness' still sways his perceptive, as he finds it belittling to admit his mistakes or to be politically correct.

And as his media aides (spin doctors) have shown, with loads of damage control episodes, cleaning up Buhari's mess is by no means a small task.

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Trailblazer1(m): 8:44am On Jul 28, 2015
undecided
Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by ice25(f): 8:48am On Jul 28, 2015
For Garba Shehu and Adesina, it must be a difficult task defending pa Buhari and his endless "presumed" misakes.

Always trying to twist the truth is not always that easy, not everyone is daft.

The solution is never allowing pa Buhari attend any Live interview, and maybe you guys might have the opportunity to edit his statement because its going to be a long four years.

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by Trailblazer1(m): 8:54am On Jul 28, 2015
Obiagelli:

Exactly, the President should also watch his speeches.
PassingShot:

Unfortunate fellows

Kindly read this
ECOTERRORS:
We ve gotten the message from DAFTUS so all this damage control iS not helping in any way
When we called buhari a dullard, you cried.
We called him a bigot, you wailed.

Now he wants to do divide and rule undecided
FYI, buhari is worse than a dullard

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by DONMAYOR19(m): 9:01am On Jul 28, 2015
Confuse president, confuse workers, confuse supporters and confuse party. Waiting for his confuse ministers.

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Buhari Was Misquoted On Preferential Treatment by ahaz: 9:03am On Jul 28, 2015
Abbycite:
anyone just realizing Buhari is worst than mama peace, honestly that person or persons re drunk.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC Gets New Geds / Meet The New Custom Boss Hash Look / Hidden Facts About The Yoruba People That You Don't Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.