Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,154 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! (990 Views)

If Magu Is Rejected Because Of DSS Allegations, Then Saraki Should Not Be Senate / Ife Chiefs Confirm Ooni Is Dead / Modernity Clashes With Tradition: Ife Chiefs Insist Ooni Is ‘alive’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! by onomeasike: 12:58pm On Jul 30, 2015
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/why-oore-moba-is-the-livewire-of-ile-ife-throne-oba-popoola/
Why Oore Moba is the livewire of Ile-Ife throne – Oba Popoola
Muibat Mustapha, Ado-Ekiti

The Oore of Mobaland, Oba (Dr.) James Adedapo Popoola JP, CON, Odundun I Adimula, is a first class traditional ruler and former Chairman of the Ekiti State Traditional Council of Obas and Chiefs. He recently celebrated the New Yam Festival, a popular annual cultural fiesta linked with the ancestry of the people and in which sons and daughters of the kingdom within and in the Diaspora converged on the town to participate.

In this interview, the monarch talks about the historical significance of the festival. He traces the origin of his people to the Atlantic Ocean and Ile Ife, the ancestral home of the Yoruba. He also explains why the town is crucial to the Ooni stool in Ile-Ife. Excerpts: Origin of Moba and Otun-Ekiti The origin started with the emergence of Omolokun from Okun-Moba, the present coastal area of Lagos with all the paraphemalia of royalty- a big crown, beads, kolanut and a calabash containing cool water.

He also emerged with Ogbo-Ifa Ide, that is a silver container where all Ifa divination materials were kept. Omolokun emerged from Okun-Moba where he was referred to as Okun Eleke. Okun Moba was the origin of Moba people. Moba does not connote a geographical location, but a group of people. Otun people are also Moba people. Omolokun migrated like other Yoruba and came to Ife during the time of Oduduwa, where he settled.

In Otun-Ekiti, we have a settlement called Ife Oore, like that of Ife Ooni at Ile-Ife. That is why we used to say, A kii duro ki won ni Ife Ooni, a kii bere ki won ni Ife Oore. When Omolokun was at Ile-Ife, Oduduwa went blind and all efforts to restore his sight proved abortive. It was Omolokun who was a very strong Ifa diviner that consulted the Ifa oracle which instructed that Oduduwa would only regain his sight by using water from the sea. When Oduduwa summoned his children only his grand child called Ajibogun agreed to go. Ajibogun did not return from the expedition in time and he was presumed dead, while the children of Oduduwa settled with their father, shared his property and went away.

However, because the oracle predicted that Ajibogun would return from his journey with the water, Omolokun decided to wait and he brought the seawater. Oduduwa referred to the water bearer as Obokun, meaning the one that fetched water from the sea. Ajibogun became the ruler of Ijesa called Owa Obokun of Ijesaland. Oore used the seawater to prepare a concoction which he used to wash Oduduwa’s eyes and he regained his sight. Since then people started calling Oore as Olore Oduduwa. Although Oduduwa did not change the name of Omolokun but people named him Olore Oduduwa.

That was how he became Olore which was shortened to Oore. Oore requested to leave Ile-Ife and Oduduwa reluctantly released him that he would always pay him a visit whenever he needed his service. Immediately Oore left Ile-Ife, Oduduwa passed on. But because Oore was with Oduduwa throughout his stay, he knew the in-and-out of the palace and where his children settled. Oore went back to Ile-Ife to prepare the rites of passage and installation of one of the children of Oduduwa to take over his throne. Any time an Ooni passes on in Ile-Ife, the first ruler to be informed is the Oore, who will later inform other Yoruba Obas that the house has changed.

Oore’s spirit must be invoked at the installation of a new Ooni because in ancient time, he was present when the Arole was put on the throne of Oduduwa. This fact was confirmed by the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuade, Olubuse II, the Arole of Oduduwa when I paid him a royall visit in 2000. He said that at the installation of a new Ooni, the spirits of four Obas must be invoked and that Oore is one of them. Oore settled in many places when he came out from Okun.

He settled at Mushin, Igbobe, Ebe, Oke-Olodun and Ipole. It was at Ipole that an organised community was first established with various quarters, palace and a traditional festival. They spent over 200 years at Ipole. Because of scarcity of water, they left Ipole to their present settlement, which was founded by two hunters sent out by Oore Owaforan who was the last Oba at Ipole.

The two hunters, Babasikin and Babalitin, were instructed to look for a perennial stream. They found one each which were named after them as Omiabasikin and Omiabaletin. Omiabasikin is the water drawn for annual Ogun festival at Era, while water from Omiabaletin is used to prepare Oore’s food and poured as libation to the gods daily at the palace.

There are more than 201 deities in the palace and the Oore makes sacrifices to them daily. The water is the one the Oore takes to Ife any time he is on visit to the Ooni. He always gives the water to Alaafin also to pour libation to the gods in his palace. Moba people settled at the present site over 600 years ago. Ogun festival Our own Ogun festival is referred to as Ijesu-new yam festival which comprises series of activities.

We left all the materials used for Ogun festival at Ipole as instructed by the Ifa oracle, to ensure the defence of the southern part of the community during war. Every time we are celebrating Ogun festival, we usually go to the Ogun shrine at Odo-Are, Ipole, to bring its relics. It is usually a ceremonial festival, a red dog is sacrificed at the shrine along with other rituals.

The dog is beheaded and its blood sprinkled on the relics before they are brought home. The relics are kept until after Otun and Moba pay homage to the Oore, that is when the festival is concluded. The first of the Ogun festival is when the Oore eats new yam called Ojo Aye. The Oore consults the Ifa oracle twice during the new yam festival and Ifa festival. Every five days, Ifa priests come to the palace to consult Ifa for him.

The Oore sits in the palace during both festivals to make renditions to the Ifa of sacrifice -a very big he-goat or big pig to the oracle. In those days, human being was usually sacrificed to Ogun at night. Right in the shrine there was elaborate ceremony climaxed by the beheading of human being. When the white men came and led Oore and other Obas in 1866 to sign the treaties that they would not make human sacrifice again, the practice stopped. The second day is Awo market. It is the first day new yam appears in the market and anything not sold is left behind for human beings and animals to eat. The Oba appears to the people on the third day.

From the second day of the festival, people pay homage to him from 12noon to 7pm. At the end of the day, the Oore addresses his subjects and reels out laws that would guide them for the next one year. Significance of the public dance by the Oore Yes, I will dance two types of dance called Otapo and Ketekete. Otapo, in those days, was danced with a very big horse which at the end of the day would be beaten to death.

This practice was stopped by the white men who came to watch the festival and ever since we looked for something that looked like a horse to dance with. After Otapo, it is Ketekete dance, when the Oore will dance with wrapper to the admiration of the people. That is when the people would see that their Oba is well fed over the year. The festival It is to thank the gods and ancestors that they have kept us for another year. That war has not ravaged the community and the kingdom is increasing in strength.
Re: If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! by majamajic(m): 1:02pm On Jul 30, 2015
Chukwuma
Re: If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 30, 2015
chukwudi
Re: If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! by ademusiwa3: 1:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
e Arole of Oduduwa

Arole oduduwa, already tells you. I am telling you people the truth. Arole means he is not oduduwa. Ooni of ile ife is not oduduwa. But he is just representing me while I am not there. I am the real oduduwa. I am by culture before not allowed those days to mix with people. Those days.
I using online to prevent war over the satellite picture. Because it is 2 countries.

That the military who show you, they were reading nairaland
They did not disown my story. Because it is the correct story. It is 2 countries. Go and ask your friend the meaning of arole oduduwa

The ooni of ile ife is only a Duke like all obas. He only put the oduduwa on his gate.

I am the real oduduwa. That why old people are showing you. Many people never correct him when he says that,

Yorubas says omo de gbo, agba gbo
La fi da ile ife
Agba ti won to da ile ife.

Why do kumuyi, adeboye etc telling Nigeria will not break, because we are not part of Nigeria. There was civil war before.biafra. that why people think we are part.

You saw the military disclaim statement online on nairaland. Did you see the military disclaim.my claim. No. Because my story is correct. The ooni of ile ife story is wrong. Ooni of ile ife in history got rewarded for deciet. He is not making a correct story

There are over 70 million people in The country of western Nigeria . will I tell lies to 70 million

You can see buhari show you the flag of the country of western Nigeria. If i was telling lies. There will be no flag.

The other ethnic group who live in our sister country Nigeria. Don't know us. Or our history.
Re: If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! by onomeasike: 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2015
ademusiwa3:

Arole oduduwa, already tells you. I am telling you people the truth. Arole means he is not oduduwa. Ooni of ile ife is not oduduwa. But he is just representing me while I am not there. I am the real oduduwa. I am by culture before not allowed those days to mix with people. Those days.

They did not disown my story. Because it is the correct story. Go and ask your friend the meaning of arole oduduwa

The ooni of ile ife is only a Duke like all obas. He only put the oduduwa on his gate.

I am the real oduduwa. That why old people are showing you. Many people never correct him when he says that,

La fi da ile ife

You saw the military disclaim statement online on nairaland. Did you see the military disclaim.my claim. No. Because my story is correct. The ooni of ile ife story is wrong. Ooni of ile ife in history got rewarded for deciet. He is not making a correct story

There are over 70 million people in The country of western Nigeria . will I tell lies to 70 million

You can see buhari show you the flag of the country of western Nigeria. If i was telling lies. There will be no flag.

The other ethnic group who live in our sister country Nigeria. Don't know us. Or our history.

Noted
Re: If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! by vega84(m): 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2015
Who is interested in reading all this history of Yoruba people? Mstchewwww definitely nt me. Ofe mmanu people #vegatalks
Re: If Truly Ooni Is Dead,then Saraki Usurped This Oba!!! by sherrylo: 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2015
ademusiwa3:

I using online to prevent war over the satellite picture. Because it is 2 countries.

They did not disown my story. Because it is the correct story. It is 2 countries. Go and ask your friend the meaning of arole oduduwa

La fi da ile ife

Why do kumuyi, adeboye etc telling Nigeria will not break, because we are not part of Nigeria. There was civil war before.biafra. that why people think we are part.

Shut up! This werey cannot even write well in Yoruba and he is here claiming Oduduwa (Odu to da Iowa).

(1) (Reply)

Fear Of Buhari’s Probe Caused Alison-madueke’s Sudden Illness – Balarabe Musa / El-rufai Makes Good His Threat To Demolish The Houses Of Encroachers In Zaria / Buhari’s US Visit: A Master Stroke In Image Laundering, By Charles Anyiam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.