Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,350 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People (1848 Views)

Nigerian Guy Shows His Cooking Skills: Says "Forget About The Big Boy Things" / Alligator Caught At Gbagada Lagos, Used In Cooking (Photos) / How Much Is Cooking Gas Sold Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by ShakurM(m): 9:33am On Jul 31, 2015
Poor eating habits has been the major topic of discussion among many nutrition gatherings and symposia while neglecting the various cooking practices that many individuals have personalized thereby making them remain in the path of unhealthy living. It would even interest you to know how unconcerned these people are regarding their method of preparing certain meals and they keep neglecting whatever health issues this can result into.

Few days ago, I kick started a discussion in this area and I was completely shocked with the words spewing out from the mouth of some people, expressing the cooking practices performed by them. Let’s see some of the very funny ones.

1. Adding Seasoning Like Maggi, Knorr To Beans

I was in a friend’s house, as we were discussion about football teams and matches, we heard a louder conversation from his neighbours in the ground flat. One of them who is a Hausa woman said with clear boldness that she can not cook beans for her family without adding 4 to 6 cubes of seasoning such as Maggi, Knorr, etc., with many containing Monosodium Glutamate. The other said she uses just two cubes. Immediately, we both became completely speechless. My friend later said she (Hausa woman) only has three children all below age 10.

Friends, food condiment like this does not have any nutritive value it supplies to our body. It is best to reduce the amount we add to our meals. Instead, use natural food condiments like ginger, garlic and onions that have been found to be helpful in human health.

2. Adding Sugar To Yam

Growing up in a family where we never used sugars in tea, pap, custard and garri, it became culture shock when I recently discovered that many house wives add some table spoons of sugar to yam when cooking in their quest to make it sweet. I can only laugh in Ijebu.

Yam is a calorie dense food. Adding some sugars to it will only increase the calorie. No wonder the sudden rise in the cases of diabetes. For me, it is only a bad cook who does this. I stand to be corrected.

3. Frying Two Eggs With A Whole Bottle of Oil

This apparently sounds like an exaggeration but the truth has to be told. During my undergraduate days, a friend of mine appeared to have made a joke out of this – he was serious. He explained how a lady fried 2 eggs for him with close to a bottle of vegetable oil. Then, I never believed him until something of same extent happened to myself and a friend when we both visited a lady who obviously wanted to impress us. Sincerely, it was in the ratio of two eggs to 1 bottle of vegetable oil. We managed to eat three slices of bread each. As she steps out to pick her clothes when it was drizzling, I quickly rushed to drain the oil. No wonder she is overweight.

4. Adding Salt To Garri

This does not taste nice at all. I cannot fathom why anyone would do this. You would probably think this is an habit for the young children but as I surprised to hear of individuals who still do this. There has been a lot of campaign concerning the effect of consuming high amount of sodium. Yet, some people still indulge in this habit of soaking garri of all foods with pinches of  salt. Haba…..Take am easy.

No doubt, some of you are practicing some or all of the above listed habits. The need to avoid them is critically important as they can lead you to unwanted debilitating health conditions. As a practicing nutritionist, the conditions I see and hear of on daily basis are scary and some of these unhealthy habit could be the leading cause.

You could share some other ones you do or you are aware of.

http://www.foodsng.com/some-funny-cooking-practices-done-by-people/
Re: Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by Cutehector(m): 9:37am On Jul 31, 2015
Onga grin

Abeg who sabi maggi advert? grin
Re: Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by ice25(f): 9:40am On Jul 31, 2015
too much spices is a bad cooks apology
Re: Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by mannobi(m): 9:49am On Jul 31, 2015
Kudos to iya basira the cook
Re: Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by dominique(f): 9:56am On Jul 31, 2015
I've seen someone add tomato paste to vegetable lipsrsealed
Re: Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by Qualer: 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2015
mannobi:
Kudos to iya basira the cook

Iya B on point 24/7!! Haala!!
Re: Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by IYADARA(f): 2:34pm On Jul 31, 2015
One man's meat, another man's poison
Re: Some Funny Cooking Practices Done By People by zainabicy: 6:23pm On Jul 31, 2015
Dt Maggi to beans tho, is it d qty or jst d presence? I put Maggi but jst a cube

(1) (Reply)

How To Economize Your Cooking Gas Usage / 99 Reasons Why Beer Is Better Than Women / *picts*those Saying That There Is No Food In 9ja Besides Rice And Beans,come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.