Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? (2076 Views)

Serves Her Right! Or Too Harsh? / How Harsh Is The Harmattan Weather In Your State? / Imagine Reasons Why They Ban You On Nairaland, Too Authoritative. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 3:09am On Mar 18, 2009
Well, not sure if I should use this thread as a perfect example because some of the responses are just too funny.  Anyway, it's this thread that got me thinking

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-248697.0.html

I was reading some postings here on NL and could not help but notice that there are some Nairalanders who always have negative comments towards foreign posters. I'm just curious, why?

I've got to admit that some "foreign" posters do get themselves tangled in troubles but a good number of them are posting great topics.  However, some are quickly “turn” away.

Fact, “foreigners" are here because NL has a lot to offer and its a fun (comedians - funny ppl) place - fi real.

Just my 73¢

1love
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by sistajay(f): 7:00am On Mar 18, 2009
Can't say i've noticed, i'll be on a look out from now on. cool
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Gabry(f): 7:03am On Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, some posters can be very bashful towards foreignors. . .

Some would just ask you, what are doing in here especially in an African forum? please go and find your own country's forum. . . Or are you here to exchange some foreign currency? Sorry we dont have Chinko money for hia.

Some would say oh shait! Another Oyinbo. . . Whats not fair is that they get all the attention no matter how stupid they are. . .

Some would like mock a foreignor using their own native language like examble "This Pyinbo be Olodo mumu Mugu. . . Amebo!" and when the foreignor ask what does it means, he/she will say its means "You are a sweet person"

But they are alot of nairalanders whom are very good at heart.  smiley
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 3:44pm On Mar 18, 2009
gabrywyl:

Some would like mock a foreignor using their own native language like examble "This Pyinbo be Olodo mumu Mugu. . . Amebo!" and when the foreignor ask what does it means, he/she will say its means "You are a sweet person"
Are those insulting words?

gabrywyl:

But they are alot of nairalanders whom are very good at heart. smiley
So right you are cheesy
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Gabry(f): 4:01pm On Mar 18, 2009
epi:

Are those insulting words?

so calling someone stupid and dumb and gossiper is not insulting? undecided
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 4:29pm On Mar 18, 2009
gabrywyl:

so calling someone stupid and dumb and gossiper is not insulting? undecided
I was only asking because I don't know what language is that.

*don't sweat* I am sure one day they'll find you the opposite of those words
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 18, 2009
@ epi

Leilah is not a poor foreign poster but a yet to be discovered racist. She attributes any bad traits in her husband to the Nigeria culture and thinks they are peculiar to every Nigerian man.

Don't pity her at all. She deserves every insult she gets.
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by MandingoII(m): 6:10pm On Mar 18, 2009
We've seen worse. Remember we been on the internet since 1995!
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Gabry(f): 1:00am On Mar 19, 2009
epi:

I was only asking because I don't know what language is that.

*don't sweat* I am sure one day they'll find you the opposite of those words

Huh? Epi. . U no be Naija lady? shocked

michelin89:

@ epi

Leilah is not a poor foreign poster but a yet to be discovered racist. She attributes any bad traits in her husband to the Nigeria culture and thinks they are peculiar to every Nigerian man.

Don't pity her at all. She deserves every insult she gets.

huh? Really? Am sorry to hear that. . . I guess her husband must have really gave her hell sad
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 1:13am On Mar 19, 2009
gabrywyl:

Huh? Epi. . U no be Naija lady? shocked

Born in the BVI.  Mother white (european) Father black (Nigerian)  In other words, I am a half-breed or half-caste or Mullatto shocked shocked shocked

off 2 bed.  good night
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by iice(f): 4:17pm On Mar 19, 2009
Tis the way of the world. . . undecided
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by SeanT21(f): 5:11am On Apr 02, 2009
Really??

I never experienced it. wink
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Mustay(m): 5:05pm On Apr 02, 2009
The trend used to be foreigners (especially Nigerian emigrants) bashing the locals; it's weird the Law of karma can take place.
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by arramyjay: 8:31am On Apr 03, 2009
No members are nt harsh,one shud just avoid most of them. undecided
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Jarus(m): 9:12am On Apr 03, 2009
Save for the South African guys(RSA, mpele etc), I think the opposite is even the case. Foreigners are more respected in NL. Sistawoman, Sean(Liberian girl), that Jamaican girl(JamaicanQT or what's her name) and that Kenyan lady all get at least equal, if not fairer treatment. Mukina is widely adored.

As regards RSA, mpele and some other SA folk here, they are usually at the offensive. They say anything but good about Nigeria and Nigerians. And trust Naija men/women, they give them more than they bargained for.

Even Ghanaians, despite being our fiercest rivals, have been civil here and the same treatment has been accorded them. Everybody going his/her way.

So I don't agree with your observation.
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by SeanT21(f): 6:25am On Apr 13, 2009
Jarus:

Save for the South African guys(RSA, mpele etc), I think the opposite is even the case. Foreigners are more respected in NL. Sistawoman, Sean(Liberian girl), that Jamaican girl(JamaicanQT or what's her name) and that Kenyan lady all get at least equal, if not fairer treatment. Mukina is widely adored.

As regards RSA, mpele and some other SA folk here, they are usually at the offensive. They say anything but good about Nigeria and Nigerians. And trust Naija men/women, they give them more than they bargained for.

Even Ghanaians, despite being our fiercest rivals, have been civil here and the same treatment has been accorded them. Everybody going his/her way.

REALLY wink
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Nobody: 6:32am On Apr 13, 2009
Jarus:

Are you contradicting yourself? more and equal?

Nigerians and their love for foreigners. . . . .more respected ko more repeated ni.
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Jarus(m): 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Nigerians and their love for foreigners. . . . .more respected ko more repeated ni.

Why did u bolden just 'equal' and ignore the 'at least' that preceded it?

'More' means 'greater than', at least means 'greater than or equal to'.
It's no contradiction. The statement 'at least equal, if not fairer' is just to introduce some mildness. In no way does it contradict my earlier categorical opinion that NL is not harsh at all on foreigners.
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by MaiSuya(m): 3:38pm On Apr 13, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

BUAHAHAHAHA!!!! grin grin grin

@Jarus no mind them jo, we all know what you meant, they just dey find your trouble.

Regarding the treatment of foreign members, even if Nigerians were to be harsh on them, wouldn't such a disposition be justified, considering the kind of reception some Nigerians receive abroad? It might just be seen as an opportunity to 'get back' at 'em. . . tongue
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Gabry(f): 5:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
jarus, you are wrong in a way. Many time I gt bashed cause am Asian. . .

Peeps go ask me, what are you doing here Miss Ching Chong. . . Am sorry but this is not the foreign exchange curency service centre. Perhaps trying a China Forum or maybe a forum which is related to your country?  undecided

Maybe the question is not relating toars foreignors but towards the skin colour of someone. Those whom you mention have the same skin tone colour like Naija peeps as well. . . If they dont say they are foreignors. WHo knows that they are. . .
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 5:39pm On Apr 13, 2009
Very well said Gabby especially the highlights.

@ Mustay

You well know that Nigerians abroad are not treated as foreigners, so come again

1love
gabrywyl:

jarus, you are wrong in a way. Many time I gt bashed cause am Asian. . .

Peeps go ask me, what are you doing here Miss Ching Chong. . . Am sorry but this is not the foreign exchange curency service centre. Perhaps trying a China Forum or maybe a forum which is related to your country? undecided

Maybe the question is not relating toars foreignors but towards the skin colour of someone. Those whom you mention have the same skin tone colour like Naija peeps as well. . . If they dont say they are foreignors. WHo knows that they are. . .
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:41pm On Apr 13, 2009
always knew epi was Cayon. oloribu omo.

we're harsh to the ones who deserve it. Case closed.
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 5:52pm On Apr 13, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

detective Columbo aka tief

Epi can handle herself. I was referring mostly about the negaTIVE COMMENTS towards folks like leilah, gabby et al.

you closed your case, so pl. don't respond again cheesy
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by LadyT(f): 6:03pm On Apr 13, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

ROTFLMAO

grin
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:36pm On Apr 13, 2009
who cares about you?

the comment was in reference to the question. It still stands, those who deserve it get the negative treatment. I used to defend Leilah all the time til she made it out that her having a psychotic husband meant all Nigerians were like that yada yada. Those who make stupid statements will be treated like they are indeed stupid.

C'est fini. Omo ale cheesy
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 7:14pm On Apr 13, 2009
YOU
ThiefOfHearts:

who cares about you?
ThiefOfHearts:

C'est fini. Omo ale cheesy
it's good you are finish with this thread because angry angry angry
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
angry emoticons scare me

cry cry cry cry

arindin
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by MrCrackles(m): 7:19pm On Apr 13, 2009
Thiefofhearts

Chillax, hurling insults left right and centre!

Chei!! grin
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:38pm On Apr 13, 2009
You dont remember the oloshi in that one thread with Richie, kissing his ass with her juvenile "disses"? Ti oloribu yen benu oshi e si be.

ashewo alainibaba

one min claiming born again, next min madam instigator. a ri ara e.
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by MrCrackles(m): 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

You dont remember the oloshi in that one thread with Richie, kissing his ass with her juvenile "disses"? Ti oloribu yen benu oshi e si be.

ashewo alainibaba

one min claiming born again, next min madam instigator. a ri ara e.

Hehehe! grin cheesy
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Gabry(f): 1:18am On Apr 14, 2009
So Epi is Cayon ehn? hmMMM!!! Are you serious? shocked

Cayon, are you Epi? embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Nairaland Too Harsh On Foreign Posters? by Epi: 1:39am On Apr 14, 2009
gabrywyl:

So Epi is Cayon ehn? hmMMM!!! Are you serious? shocked
but Gabby, de dutty foot Nijah yard fowl seh mi a cayon, so mekk nuh ask she.  she seems to nuh more dan mi. grin grin grin

mi nuh have time fi her, so mekk mi go back to the topik. mi have a rep to keep just in case mi mekk it to the top.  naah go mekk dem kind pull me down, yuh hear. . . .seen and heard. Irie.  T'is like this, chicken little (me) don't mess with YARD FOWL (it) grin grin

she ask who cares yet she still pon mi case. . . .rhatid eh?

you can converse wid her cuz chickens don't mingle with yard fowls.  is like dat, serious ting

blessed nite 2 yuh

1love

(1) (2) (Reply)

Graduate Management Talent Programme / Boycott Ebeano Stores In Lekki And Chevron Drive. / Very Important:need A Competent Company To Handle Your House Project?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.