Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Hotels.ng Hackathon - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Hotels.ng Hackathon (3635 Views)

Guys What Is A Hackathon? / Who Wants To Attend A Hackathon? / Disruptive Africa Expo Hackathon 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hotels.ng Hackathon by 53cur3m0d3(m): 9:41am On Aug 01, 2015

The Hotels.ng Machine Learning Hackathon

The idea behind the hackathon is simple: all hotel booking websites around the world have incidents of cancelled hotel bookings. Some users are more likely to cancel their bookings than others, depending on several factors/conditions. For example, a person who books and pays is less likely to cancel his booking compared to someone who intends to pay on arrival. A person who books 5 different hotels in different states on the same day is likely to cancel at least 4 of those reservations. Or maybe not - because he's probably booking for other people.

It is possible to write a machine learning algorithm that takes data from past bookings and makes a decision based off the characteristics of the user to decide if the person is going to cancel his booking or not.

Hotels.ng will provide participants of the hackathon a dataset of 5000 pieces of dummy data against which a machine learning (or any other) algorithm can be coded. The end-goal of your algorithm would be, quite simply, to predict booking cancellations.

At the end of the process, each algorithm will be run against the full Hotels.ng dataset (on www.hotels.ng ) to see whose algorithm was the best predictor of cancellations.

The winner will get a prize.

The hackathon will take place at the Hotels.ng office located at No. 3 Birrell Avenue, Sabo, Yaba (right beside the Chief Magistrate Court). It starts at 9am, and will probably end shortly after lunch.

Everyone is welcome - but since this is an advanced coding problem, only software developers will be able to participate (no project managers or designers needed on this one).

Solo developers and/or team mates are invited to participate. Light refreshments will be provided.

Source : http://www.eventbrite.com
cc dhtml18, kudaisi, FincoApps, thewebcraft, ToyinDipo, MisterNobody, crazymadman, Seun, romme2u, proxy20, JackOfAllTrades, S4mson, Enmacmedia
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by spikesC(m): 10:12am On Aug 01, 2015
Bulala. This should be fun

Why am I not seeing those 'contact me on my signature now' developers undecided

3 Likes

Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by 53cur3m0d3(m): 10:24am On Aug 01, 2015
spikesC:

Why are my not seeing those 'contact me on signature now' developers undecided

Boss, make them no vex for you o...
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by fattbabakay(m): 11:46am On Aug 01, 2015
Nice
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by josieboy55(m): 5:16pm On Aug 01, 2015
spikesC:

Why are my not seeing those 'contact me on signature now' developers undecided

LOL grin grin grin
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by bot101(m): 10:30pm On Aug 01, 2015
Now here comes a real challenge!!.But if the factors given above are the only ones to be considered, I then do not think it is much of a challenge.
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by CodeHouse: 11:15pm On Aug 01, 2015
Mscheeeeeew
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by Olucheye(m): 1:35am On Aug 02, 2015
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by 53cur3m0d3(m): 8:57am On Aug 02, 2015
[quote author=Olucheye post=36515478][/quote] I'm sorry, the hackathon was yesterday...
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by jetsetgo: 10:17am On Aug 02, 2015
Would haff loff to participate efen if it is to jus assess the different technologies used to achief the task. Me I haff gone python and aff been loffing it all the way. Anyone that cares to know my own tool stack it would haff been Python: nltk, SciPy-NumPy, Pandas.

- I yam putting this hear for people that might be interested in towing this route to have a point to start off from.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: DON'T COME HERE AND TALK ABOUT HOW JAVA IS BETTER THAN C++ AND HOW FORTRAN IS SWEETER THAN IJEBU GARRI, Programming languages are just tools. Get over it.
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by Olucheye(m): 11:58am On Aug 02, 2015
53cur3m0d3:

I'm sorry, the hackathon was yesterday...

Oh... Sad i missed it.
I was hoping to network with tech eggheads with the possibility of working together.

Are you one yourself?
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by sukkot: 10:49pm On Oct 24, 2015
jetsetgo:
Would haff loff to participate efen if it is to jus assess the different technologies used to achief the task. Me I haff gone python and aff been loffing it all the way. Anyone that cares to know my own tool stack it would haff been Python: nltk, SciPy-NumPy, Pandas.

- I yam putting this hear for people that might be interested in towing this route to have a point to start off from.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: DON'T COME HERE AND TALK ABOUT HOW JAVA IS BETTER THAN C++ AND HOW FORTRAN IS SWEETER THAN IJEBU GARRI, Programming languages are just tools. Get over it.
bro, i need you for a project. write me back
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by samlexxy: 6:25am On Oct 25, 2015
jetsetgo:

bro i speak python .. tho not too fluently but I think one way or the other we could help each other. if you don't mind dropping your digit
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by whisp3r(m): 6:42pm On Oct 25, 2015
53cur3m0d3:

cc dhtml18, kudaisi, FincoApps, thewebcraft, ToyinDipo, MisterNobody, crazymadman, Seun, romme2u, proxy20, JackOfAllTrades, S4mson, Enmacmedia

Sounds fun.

Count me in
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by whisp3r(m): 6:44pm On Oct 25, 2015
sukkot:
bro, i need you for a project. write me back

Hey, what's up I could help with your project, am in VB.net, c# and web design/development
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by sukkot: 7:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
whisp3r:

Hey, what's up I could help with your project, am in VB.net, c# and web design/development
send me your email
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by whisp3r(m): 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2015
sukkot:
send me your email

Sent
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by sukkot: 8:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
whisp3r:

you can remove your number and email now if you want. i have emailed you
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by 53cur3m0d3(m): 9:30pm On Oct 25, 2015
whisp3r:

Sounds fun.
Count me in
I'm sorry bro. The ship sailed a long time ago
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by whisp3r(m): 9:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
53cur3m0d3:

I'm sorry bro. The ship sailed a long time ago

cry abandon ship

Do let me know if another opportunity arise
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 26, 2015
Santa maria! how come i am just seeing this now? I was just wearing my programming jacket, but now guess i shall just wear a strait jacket before i start crawling up walls!
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by 53cur3m0d3(m): 2:11pm On Oct 26, 2015
whisp3r:

cry abandon ship

Aii Sir

dhtml18:
Santa maria! how come i am just seeing this now? I was just wearing my programming jacket, but now guess i shall just wear a strait jacket before i start crawling up walls!

Oga Native Doctor, did your Oracle ask you to proceed on break this early? tongue
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 26, 2015
whisp3r:

cry abandon ship

But remember that the captain must go down with the ship!
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by whisp3r(m): 6:44pm On Oct 26, 2015
dhtml18:

But remember that the captain must go down with the ship!

Sorry, my ship is on auto pilot
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by thewebcraft(m): 9:09pm On Oct 26, 2015
53cur3m0d3:

Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by directonpc(m): 2:05am On Oct 27, 2015
hi guys you can download my new Android social app here http://7rl.in/a7ED
just give it a chance

1 Like

Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by FincoApps(m): 2:07pm On Oct 30, 2015
I'm also surprised o. I just saw it too, ahn ahn since August shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
dhtml18:
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 30, 2015
^^^Sad, i am sure between us we would have carried the gold and silver away!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by FincoApps(m): 7:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
dhtml18:
^^^Sad, i am sure between us we would have carried the gold and silver away!

Lol, abi o
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by 53cur3m0d3(m): 11:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
Una just dey make me laugh this night especially Native Doctor HTML. @FincoApps, can I send you a pm?

At the Hackathon, there was the Andela team and the MEST team. Also, individual programmers participated.
Re: Hotels.ng Hackathon by FincoApps(m): 12:03am On Oct 31, 2015
53cur3m0d3:
Una just dey make me laugh this night especially Native Doctor HTML. @FincoApps, can I send you a pm?

At the Hackathon, there was the Andela team and the MEST team. Also, individual programmers participated.

Yea sure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Apps Built With React Native? / Daily Coding Problem / HELP! My Exposure To My System Due To Coding And Research Is Affecting My Eye.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.