Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Does Length Of Church Service Matter? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Length Of Church Service Matter? (2616 Views)

Assemblies Of God: Police Chase Pastor Out Of Church Secretariat In Enugu (Pics) / Apostle Johnson Suleman Dances With His Wife During Church Service. (Photos) / MMM Being Advertised In RCCG Church Service (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 02, 2015
I've come across some Africans resident abroad say they avoid "African" churches because their services are too long; while others say long services are evidence of the Holy Spirit being in control.

So, should the spirituality of a Church be gauged by the length of its services?
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 02, 2015
Don't think it matters though
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by manny4life(m): 6:47pm On Aug 04, 2015
It doesn't matter as long as you are happy being in the presence of God. My church, RCCG Restoration Chapel, our service may be lengthy to some (about 2.5 hrs) but it isn't to me.

1 Like

Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Afam4eva(m): 6:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
It matters ooo. If you say you're closing 12pm (which is supposed to be the normal closing time in Nigeria), then it better be 12pm. I can only add 5 minutes for the grace.
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 04, 2015
manny4life:
It doesn't matter as long as you are happy being in the presence of God. My church, RCCG Restoration Chapel, our service may be lengthy to some (about 2.5 hrs) but it isn't to me.
That's not lengthy. The folks that complain about lengthy services usually refer to churches that hold services for 4+ hours.
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
Afam4eva:
It matters ooo. If you say you're closing 12pm (which is supposed to be the normal closing time in Nigeria), then it better be 12pm. I can only add 5 minutes for the grace.
cheesy
And we hope the Lord's Prayer won't be added to it
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 05, 2015
It does matter,service shouldn't be how far,but how well.

Why stay long in the first place,little wonder,the new generation churches are taking over..

Last time I went with a friend to his church(cele),we had the service from 10am-4-30pm- too long..

I nearly had meningitis due to hunger. Next sunday he called me again,I told him to swerve,that am not going..
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Afam4eva(m): 8:13pm On Aug 06, 2015
CFCfan:

cheesy
And we hope the Lord's Prayer won't be added to it
We hope Not grin
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 13, 2015
^^
Ami
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by cococandy(f): 6:03am On Aug 13, 2015
it matters to me
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 13, 2015
As for me,i will say it depends on the manner in which the service structured.

Spending 2 hours on the Pulpit as pastor to preach does not necessarily mean you will deliver SOUND DOCTRINE.
In some chruches,On a typical sunday service where sermon is like 90 minutes.
Some Pastors spend like 60 minutes to talk off course e.g career talk,Jokes,football gist etc ,before you know 1hr has gone inside 90 minutes,So what is left?

If it is sound doctrine alone and the church is spending rigorous time to teach sound doctrine and pray.
Then it is a good and spiritual church.

For example,the church I attend.
On a sunday morning.
Prayers starts (7:30am-8:am) 30 mins,
Worship session(8-00-8:15 or 8:20)15-20 mins,
teaching session(8:20-9:40)good 90 minutes,
then the remaining 20 min for announcements and offering.

That a total of 2hrs30minutes.which is worth while.

1 Like

Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:
it matters to me
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Gombs(m): 9:15am On Aug 13, 2015
It should not matter, however, God's an orderly God, and He's timely.

I remember when Jesus was having a crusade, and at a point He stopped, knowing the folks are hungry /getting hungry. He had to stop.

Point is, most churches/Pastors do not know what to do in the first 30-45mins of their preaching, and alot of times, before they get to the crux of the matter, folks are already tired and frankly distracted. Some would start sleeping, some will start counting the number of lights in the hall, or why the Pastor wore the colour of tie he wore...

This makes one term a program or service 'long'. However, I've been in a meeting with Pastor Chris... A teaching meeting, he started by 7pm,and closed closed around past 10pm. Folks were complaining why he was stopping sef, when he said he gotta close. Was the service long? Yes... Did some complain, yes! Did some leave? Yes!... What then? There are some teaching meetings that cannot be done within an hour (the preaching alone o), impartation meetings nko?... But hey, most of his 'normal' meetings are between 45mins to an hour sermon. It's left for one to know what kinda meeting a service is, and how long it would take..

But it's very good to regulate services, my church does everything within 2hrs...but there are some services that cannot end within 2hrs,there's where spiritual maturity comes in... You do not complain about a meeting with God, you shouldn't,for you know not what the Lord has instock.

If your church pastor 'wastes' time always, pray for the structuring.. It's rude to walk out of a service (and 98% of those walking out has nothing important to go do) . It's not the way soldiers do, for the bible calls us soldiers of Christ.

1 Like

Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by bukatyne(f): 10:53am On Aug 13, 2015
Over matters to me.

Typically workers meeting starts 7:00am (Too early for moi angry) and service closes by 11:30am (thinks it's too long shocked) However,

7:00am - 8:00am - Workers prayer meeting
8:00am - 8:30am - Visitation
8:30am - 9:30am - Sunday School
9:30am - 9:50am - Praise & Worship
9:50am - 11:30am - {Prayers, Bible reading, Announcements, Tithes and Offering, Choir Ministration, Sermon and benediction}

Help me tell my pastor Workers' Meeting is too early embarassed Sunday is a day of rest cool
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Dzany(m): 11:01am On Aug 13, 2015
1Hr 30mins maximum!
Except for special programs.

I'm out!
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
Dzany:
1Hr 30mins maximum!
Except for special programs.

I'm out!
Lol. According to most Nigerians, you must be attending an "oyinbo" church. cheesy
Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by uzolexis(f): 6:33pm On Aug 25, 2015
That's why I love my catholic church. Mass 30mins- 2hrs max and we r done no time wasting at all. Straight 2 d matter at hand. If u make the mass/ service too long pple get bored,distracted n stop following so it don't make sense.

1 Like

Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by CrazyMan(m): 6:45pm On Aug 25, 2015
CFCfan:
I've come across some Africans resident abroad say they avoid "African" churches because their services are too long; while others say long services are evidence of the Holy Spirit being in control.

So, should the spirituality of a Church be gauged by the length of its services?
It matters to me. I can't imagine myself sitting in a church from morning till 2pm.

Churches should be brief so they don't bore their members. 7:30-11am is ok for me.

2 Likes

Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Aikon: 11:26pm On Aug 25, 2015
7:00am - 8:30am - Workers prayer meeting
8:00am - 8:30am - Visitation
8:30am - 8:45am - Sunday School
8:45am - 9:05am - Praise & Worship
9:05am - 11:00am - Testimony, choir ministration, Sermon,Prayers, offering, Grace.

I attended a church where the above is the programme for a Sunday service. I felt a judicious use of my time in the presence of God. No shouting of 7 thunderous Hallelujahs during testimony, no unnecessary announcements, etc. In fact preaching was 1hr+.

Unlike some other churches I often attend, where they claim spending so much time in the church is commitment to God. They also say they are always under the influence of the Holy Spirit and that's why they spend much time.

Time Management should also be taken to churches

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Length Of Church Service Matter? by Aikon: 9:47am On Aug 30, 2015
I recommend this for FP
Cc: lalasticlala, Seun

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together / Odin Of Asgard: Making A Case For Almighty God / New Video: Tim Godfrey Ft Travis Greene – Nara {free Video Download}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.