Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,613 members, 7,955,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:45 PM

Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 (31103 Views)

Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown / Koko That Ate 40 British Men As Nembe King [PICS] / New Olubadan To Be Called Aje Ogungunniso 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 2:05pm On Aug 12, 2015
ChinenyeN:
What exactly is the difficulty in defining 'Igbo'? Why do you all have to repeat this discussion and re-attempt this definition over and over and over and over and... I've lost count.. oh well. Igbo is an ethno-linguistic categorization with emphasis on lingusitic. Identity is a non-issue and should be treated as such. Self-determination has zero effect on the categorization and the same goes for ancestral kinship. If one's people come from the ethno-linguistic region of Igbo-speaking communities, then you are, by default, categorized as 'Igbo'. No one can force that on you (this goes out to those unlearned humans trying to fight something that is simply out of their control), and consequently, no one can take that away from you (this goes out to the dumb Igbo I've seen trying to rob other Igbo of their 'Igboness'). Enough said.

If left with you all, you would all spend eternity trying to define something that does not require all this long talk and expended bandwidth.
Sir you are in danger of the circularity of saying much without saying anything. Hear yourself;

If one's people..." Who are one's people can you define that because it can mean anything from compatriots,gang members to wife and children
You use the phrase "come from" which clearly has clarity in your mind but is indeed most obscure as innocuous as it may sound. What does it mean? "come from".
Finally one cannot talk of Igbo speaking without defining what Igbo is. Inevitably one gets drawn into agonizations and controversie e.g. linguist use the term Igboid and many misinterpret that as a synonym for Igbo.
The simplicity in defining Igbo which you advocate is just ridiculous? What about anthropology does that count ? Is there a way of marrying,of burying the dead,of mourning the dead,of punishing crimes, of ostracism,of music,of cooking ,of carving etc that is Igbo and not anything else? Can a person who has no language e.g a person born deaf be Igbo or any other ethnicity for that matter.

No sir!!,this so called emphasis on liguistic is from where,whom? ChinenyeN or ChukwuAbiama?

You say it is a "CATEGORIZATION" ,by whom ? Who is the CATEGORIZER? Certainly YOU are one but there are others who use the SELF_DETERMINATION paradigm to draw their categories and not not arbitrary made-up twaddle such as you have emitted here

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2015
Don't make me laugh. Nothing I stated is difficult to comprehend. In fact, if this had been an academic discussion, my statement would have been well-understood and well-received and everyone would move on with their lives. However, this is NL, where people are poor students of reason and seem to ignorantly believe that everything, even that which is most well-established and easily-verified aspects can be contested.

Look, Omonnakoda, it truly does not matter what you or anyone has to say on this subject, here on NL. 'Igbo' has already been thoroughly, truthfully and adequately defined by the academic community. If you don't know it's definition, then I can suggest a few academic articles for you to go and read which discuss anything from the transatlantic slave trade, to the missionary era in Nigeria to colonialism. Otherwise, don't come at me as if to say you have a platform to stand on, because I will crush what feeble understanding you believe yourself to possess.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Don't make me laugh. Nothing I stated is difficult to comprehend. In fact, if this had been an academic discussion, my statement would have been well-understood and well-received and everyone would move on with their lives. However, this is NL, where people are poor students of reason and seem to ignorantly believe that everything, even that which is most well-established and easily-verified aspects can be contested.

Look, Omonnakoda, it truly does not matter what you or anyone has to say on this subject, here on NL. 'Igbo' has already been thoroughly, truthfully and adequately defined by the academic community. If you don't know it's definition, then I can suggest a few academic articles for you to go and read which discuss anything from the transatlantic slave trade, to the missionary era in Nigeria to colonialism. Otherwise, don't come at me as if to say you have a platform to stand on, because I will crush what feeble understanding you believe yourself to possess.
How will you crush anything? You sound like a child ? Please talk like an adult focus on the issues and do not go astray.Anyone with a laptop is capable of meaningless ejaculations such as that.
Puffed up with hubris you think you have the right to have the FINAL WORD on the subject . Do not deceive yourself there is no chance you have even if you had another life of "crushing" anything near me not to talk of my understanding. You may swim in a pool of tadpoles and fancy yourself,double finned sardine, a shark but be assured I will very gladly put you in the pile of ignominy where you belong. Do not start what will confound you ,just don't...........
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 3:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
Dude, it's one thing to disagree with something or someone and show why, and it's another thing to act oblivious to knowledge and display an unwillingness to learn. I have no patience for those who want to speak as though they're oblivious and resist learning. Just go find some academic articles to read, so you can gain some insight, and quit trying to come at me like you've got something.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 3:12pm On Aug 12, 2015
[quote author=ChinenyeN post=36881795]

I asked you and I ask you again,Is there a way of marrying,of burying the dead,of honouring the successful,of punishing miscreants on naming children,of carving wood that is distinctly Igbo as opposed to any other thing? Where does this emphasis on Language come from and WHAT is this LANGUAGE. What is the relationship between the terms "IGBO" and IGBOID" rather than deal with that you come with the language of "crush" ,calm down because you are way out of your depth this time

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 3:32pm On Aug 12, 2015
Oh, this is rich. Now, someone is making accusations on my character. Alright, Omonnakoda. I'll be my usual self and approach this like I do most other culture topics here in NL (that have not been over-flogged). Now, tell me if I understand your position well enough...

By my interpretation of your posts to me thus far, you believe that the definition I presented for 'Igbo' is unfit. You believe that by deliberately sidelining aspects such as self-determination, I have created a narrow-scoped definition of Igbo that lacks substantiation. Ultimately, you believe the categorization to be my own, that it is arbitrary and ill-conceived. Does that sound about right?
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by Emilokoiyawon: 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2015
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 4:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Oh, this is rich. Now, someone is making accusations on my character. Alright, Omonnakoda. I'll be my usual self and approach this like I do most other culture topics here in NL (that have not been over-flogged). Now, tell me if I understand your position well enough...

By my interpretation of your posts to me thus far, you believe that the definition I presented for 'Igbo' is unfit. You believe that by deliberately sidelining aspects such as self-determination, I have created a narrow-scoped definition of Igbo that lacks substantiation. Ultimately, you believe the categorization to be my own, that it is arbitrary and ill-conceived. Does that sound about right?
You are saying the matter is not complex and indeed is a binary one with on the one hand the perspicacious, omniscient and enlightened fellows such as you and then others who need to keep quiet and "LEARN".This is arrogant and intolerant. I have not used and would not use the word "unfit" in this context. I have a more nuanced calibration of language. In challenging your assertions my method was to question, so you might wish to refer yourself to questions which I have now repeated.That is my understanding of scholarship,the cloak of which you covet without wanting to pay the requisite price of intellectual humility or rigor.
You talk about about articles with a certainty bordering on the fanatical and so one must question "Why is he so sure?"
Did anyone climb a mountain of Igboness and come down with

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF IGBONESS?? where are these commandments published?

I asked among other things since everything turns ,in your worldview,on language. Tell us what is the Igbo language and how this stands juxtaposed,in scholastic thinking, to Igboid languages. That shout be THE STARTING POINT

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
Omonnakoda, what are you going on about now? Why are you making this difficult? I asked you if my understanding of your position is accurate. I want to ensure that we are on the same page before we proceed further. The topic is indeed complex, but not in the way that you understand it. The complexity stems from 400 years of history (slave trade to colonialism to modern Nigeria) and not from any inherent 'Commandments of Igboness' (by the way, you do realize that this does not exist, right?).

Furthermore, ethno-linguistics (since you seem to share my appreciation for semantics, do understand that I am using this term for a reason as opposed to using the term 'language') is only an aspect of the complexity. It is not the complexity itself. However, ethno-linguistics has become the defining, neutral feature by which the academia identifies the grouping (again, I'm using the term 'grouping' for a reason as opposed to 'group'). So, before you can get your Igbo/Igboid comment addressed, you need to understand how it even fits into the holistic picture.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 6:06pm On Aug 12, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Omonnakoda, what are you going on about now? Why are you making this difficult? I asked you if my understanding of your position is accurate. I want to ensure that we are on the same page before we proceed further. The topic is indeed complex, but not in the way that you understand it. The complexity stems from 400 years of history (slave trade to colonialism to modern Nigeria) and not from any inherent 'Commandments of Igboness' (by the way, you do realize that this does not exist, right?).

Furthermore, ethno-linguistics (since you seem to share my appreciation for semantics, do understand that I am using this term for a reason as opposed to using the term 'language') is only an aspect of the complexity. It is not the complexity itself. However, ethno-linguistics has become the defining, neutral feature by which the academia identifies the grouping (again, I'm using the term 'grouping' for a reason as opposed to 'group'). So, before you can get your Igbo/Igboid comment addressed, you need to understand how it even fits into the holistic picture.
I think you are a self -indulgent man who conflates his punditry(that is exactly what it is ) with expertise or scholarship. You are just posturing vaingloriously and are not in a position to tell me or any other person "how it is" or what I "need to understand". This is not the first time I have encountered your irritability when your self-appointed guru status is challenged. You have no more knowledge on this subject than anyone else on this thread so do not arrogate any pontifical authority
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 6:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
Okay... So, I take it we aren't going to have this discussion then.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 8:48pm On Aug 12, 2015
omonnakoda:
Tell us what is the Igbo language and how this stands juxtaposed,in scholastic thinking, to Igboid languages. That shout be THE STARTING POINT

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 8:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
omonnakoda:
I asked you and I ask you again,Is there a way of marrying,of burying the dead,of honouring the successful,of punishing miscreants of naming children,of carving wood that is distinctly Igbo as opposed to any other thing? Where does this emphasis on Language come from and WHAT is this LANGUAGE. What is the relationship between the terms "IGBO" and IGBOID"
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
*sigh* ... So, I guess we'll simply ignore the historical context behind everything and just get right to it then. In which case, the term Igbo-speaking is now used in scholastic thinking, in place of the once commonplace Igbo/Igboid usages.

The term Igbo is now used to refer to the ethno-linguistic classification of Igbo-speaking communities, as well as the region in which they are primarily located. Hence the emphasis on linguistics.

The once commonplace relationship between Igbo and Igboid has been ignored by the scholastic/academic community since cognate tests showed the Igbo-speaking communities as constituting a dialectal continuum as opposed to distinct language communities. As a result, Igboid is no longer recognized as a separate classification. Instead, it is thought of as synonymous with the term Igbo though it is primarily used when the topic focuses solely on linguistics and not on linguistics with relation to ethnology.

Below is a statement showing a working example of the terms:

Ikwerre, Nnewi, Ika, and Izii are examples of Igbo-speaking peoples. They are located within the Igbo ethno-linguistic region. Ethnologically, they constitute distinct culture-groups. Linguistically, they are culture-groups who's lects are characteristically Igboid.

Is that understandable?

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by Godsbaby1(f): 3:50am On Aug 13, 2015
onuwaje:

Bros there is nowhere under d sun.. even in d universe that itsekiri's bear igbo names!. No where!!

If ur guy has igbo name probably his mom is igbo. Don't say what. U don't knw pls cos it's appalling to the itsekiris

Omawunmi
Oritsegbubemi
Omatsola
Omatsuli
Timeyin
Tuoyo
Eyimofe
Uduaghan
Tosan
okpemi
Temituope
Oritsetsolaye
Bemigho
Edema
Eyesan
Oritsejafor
Eworitse
Mene

These are a few itsekiri names.. and they are not related. Thank u
am an Igbo proudly, i have lived in warri for over a 13 years, i have seen, mixed and work with itshekiris, by former boss is/was itshekiri, there is no igbolike name bears by any itshekiri, whosover wrote that is is not true, both language, and names are like yorubas,
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 8:15am On Aug 13, 2015
ChinenyeN:
*sigh* ... So, I guess we'll simply ignore the historical context behind everything and just get right to it then. In which case, the term Igbo-speaking is now used in scholastic thinking, in place of the once commonplace Igbo/Igboid usages.

The term Igbo is now used to refer to the ethno-linguistic classification of Igbo-speaking communities, as well as the region in which they are primarily located. Hence the emphasis on linguistics.

The once commonplace relationship between Igbo and Igboid has been ignored by the scholastic/academic community since cognate tests showed the Igbo-speaking communities as constituting a dialectal continuum as opposed to distinct language communities. As a result, Igboid is no longer recognized as a separate classification. Instead, it is thought of as synonymous with the term Igbo though it is primarily used when the topic focuses solely on linguistics and not on linguistics with relation to ethnology.

Below is a statement showing a working example of the terms:

Ikwerre, Nnewi, Ika, and Izii are examples of Igbo-speaking peoples. They are located within the Igbo ethno-linguistic region. Ethnologically, they constitute distinct culture-groups. Linguistically, they are culture-groups who's lects are characteristically Igboid.

Is that understandable?
I am sure we have touched this Ikwerre subject before. Your problem is a tendency to pronounce with a grandiose and pontifical air of infallibility which to be honest is just breezy bombast.
Are you a linguist? Have you published anything of moment? The truth is Ikwerre is a Language and not a dialect as you would have the ignorant believe

"Cognate tests showed ,,,,," Tests by whom? using what methodology? or is there now an Igbometer machine in the market or an APP?
ChinenyeN My only reason for continuing this is for the hilarity you provide.You are indeed a funny dude.

I do not know of a greater academic authority on Ikwerre than Kay Williamson and the Igbo language for that matter.Perhaps I have missed some of you "COGNATE" grin publications
The fact is that the renowned scholar published her lexicostatistical analysis and established that Ikwerre is a language and not a dialect.
Igboid does NOT MEAN Igbo NOT at all.

Spanish Italian and Portuguese are all ROMANCE languages indicating a common origin presumably in the ROMAN language Latin. Most Portuguese speakers find Spanish intelligible though not the other way round. They are not dialects of another and so the term Igboid just reflects that Igbo is the biggest language in the Cluster.It tells us nothing more.
I cannot talk of Ika and Nnewi because I do not know but throwing Ikwerre into that mix is just dishonest and desperate

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 13, 2015
This debate will never end until the 'other' side understands what 'an ethnolinguistic group' means.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 10:29am On Aug 13, 2015
In other words until people see things "YOUR WAY"
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
No.

until the 'other' side understands what 'an ethnolinguistic group' means.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 1:03pm On Aug 13, 2015
See, this is why I say that context is important. This is why I desired to touch on the historical context underlying all of this, but no. Someone just had to jump over all that context to come and find an argument.

Radoillo, it just amazes me. I even made it clear that I use the term ethno-linguistic for a reason. I figured that as a person of more 'nuanced calibration of language', Omonnakoda would appreciate my specific use of ethno-linguistic, or at the very least, know what it means and understand my using it. But, I guess I presumed too much.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by vicenzo(m): 1:12pm On Aug 13, 2015
Why discuss with a non Igbo that doesn't understand Igbo language or history about Igbo? Won't that be a waste of time?

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by vicenzo(m): 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
Oliseh is obviously a confused Man who knows little about his ethnic group.

This topic came up in an Ukwuani Facebook page, the people were surprised that Oliseh would say that he is from Abavo, when Abavo which is in Ika is actually his maternal home town.

His paternal hometown is Ebedei in Ukwuani, Ukwuani people expected Oliseh to say that he is not an Igbo, but an Ukwuani,but obviously Oliseh grew up in his maternal home town of Abavo and couldn't relate to Ebedei Ukwuani.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 5:07pm On Aug 13, 2015
When logic fail revert to the tried and tested ad hominem. Works a treat !!

The fact is that the greatest scholar who ever researched Igbo Language was Kay Williamson,she was not Igbo. The first book EVER published in the Igbo language was NOT written by an Igbo person so let us shun primordial sentiments and face the facts

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by ChinenyeN(m): 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
Vicenzo, one need not identify as an Igbo to understand the underlying historical context and the terminology used. There are plenty of non-Igbo on NL who are perfectly capable of having a reasoned discussion on Igbo-related topics, because they understand that it is first about understanding (being on the same page) before it is about consensus.

I don't seek consensus with Omonnakoda, but judging from how he/she presented himself/herself, I did expect some degree of understanding. Instead, all I seem to get is someone hell-bent on opposition with a seeming stockpile of rebuttals ready to throw at any sentence without first understanding what the sentence is saying.

Why do people make understanding out to be so difficult in life? I mean, I get where Omannakoda is coming from. I understand the foundation for his/her statements. So why not he/she make an attempt at understanding the statements and the terminology that I am using, instead of throwing accusations as if I one day woke up and arbitrarily decided to make these things up? As if to say they can't be found in academic papers, JStore, Google Books, etc. I thought this was supposed to be a discussion.

So far, he/she has been the only one in this 'discussion' throwing wanton accusations. I guess now it's clear that we haven't even been on the same page from the beginning (which is the very first thing I wanted to establish, before our discussion started). Unnecessary difficulties.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by omonnakoda: 6:32pm On Aug 13, 2015
el pontĂ­fice ha dicho la Ășltima palabra
Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by freshdude99(m): 12:40am On Aug 16, 2015
Emilokoiyawon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8g3fQn3zuA
It's only a foolish yoloba man that will be chasing ibos about, creating several topics about Biafra while his oduduwa land is laying fallow.
Nothing obviously can be more foolish than that Mr. YANKEE BOY cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by Emilokoiyawon: 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2015
freshdude99:

It's only a foolish yoloba man that will be chasing ibos about, creating several topics about Biafra while his oduduwa land is laying fallow.
Nothing obviously can be more foolish than that Mr. YANKEE BOY cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Biafra Shocker!!! Sunday Oliseh Refused To Be called Igbo!!! See 0:35 - 0:40 by oyatz(m): 10:11pm On Dec 26, 2016
No name is owned by Igbo or Yoruba or Kanuri .The person bearing the name (and by extension his ethnic group) own that name at a point in time, with reference to him.
If a French man is bearing Henry, it is a French name but if it is an Englishman bearing the name, it becomes an English name.The same goes for Louis, Kate, Mary, Francis etc
The are many people from Edo, Delta, kwara and Kogi who bear such names as Taiwo, Ayo ,Dele Tope and aren't yorubas
kettykin:
Much as i do not subscribe to ipob or biafra my candid suggestion to Sunday Oliseh and co is that if you are not igbo kindly drop or change your igbo name .

Igbos have too many accomplished deltans to be begging for membership from someone who was not even an accomplished footballer

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

10 Countries With The Most Languages 2023 / How Oluwo Of Iwo Was Jailed In The US By Tunde Odesola / Nigeria's Pidgin English Dictionary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.