Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? (2200 Views)

The Stress about A Lagosian. / 8 Things Every Lagosian Should Try Out In 2016 / From an average Londoner to a below average Lagosian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by OluToye: 5:39pm On Mar 20, 2009
If language is the only way to determine the make up of a city, then the queen of England must have authority over each and every city in Nigeria and beyond
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by asha80(m): 5:44pm On Mar 20, 2009
@Olutoye

Are you sure you are understanding my point?I said lagos is traditionally yorubaland.However the no of non yorubas living there is very large if compare with people who are actually yorubas.There are LOTS of places you will go to lagos and you as a yoruba will become a minority and such places are not as much in other nigerian cities.I repeat nobody is claiming that lagos is not yorubaland.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by OluToye: 5:54pm On Mar 20, 2009
asha 80:

@Olutoye

[b]There are LOTS of places you will go to lagos and you as a yoruba will become a minority and such places are not as much in other nigerian cities.[/b]I repeat nobody is claiming that lagos is not yorubaland.

I think thats your point. And if it is i'll say true,my church would be a very good example of that. I can count the yoruba families on one hand. But then that must be to the glory of Lagos. What was once an inconsequential place even amongst the Yoruba people is now the chief cornerstone of Nigeria.

Eko o ni baje!
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by tpia: 6:02pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by asha80(m): 6:15pm On Mar 20, 2009
I have only seen one hausa person that claimed to be from a state that is not hausa.That state is actually abia.I think he became a councilor in one of the local goverments there.Also there are lots of hausa in onitsha that can even speak better igbo than me.This is how the country is supposed to be but our primordal sentiments will never allow for such.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 6:23pm On Mar 20, 2009
tpia:

the problem is how do you enter molue without understanding Yoruba? If the bus conductor gives you the wrong change, are you going to argue with him in English?

Not everybody enters molue. I can't remember when last i entered a molue i think 10 years ago.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by tpia: 6:27pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by OluToye: 6:30pm On Mar 20, 2009
lol, its gone from can an igbo person be a lagosian to primordial sentiments. Asha you seem confused. You want an igbo person to be considered a lagosian but you dont think its important to be able to speak yoruba or understand it for that matter. No one is fighting igbo people Asha. Igbo people can be lagosians after all the Murray Bruces and Ibru's are considered Lagos families arent they? And their certainly not yoruba!
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 6:33pm On Mar 20, 2009
OluToye:

lol, its gone from can an igbo person be a lagosian to primordial sentiments. Asha you seem confused. You want an igbo person to be considered a lagosian but you dont think its important to be able to speak yoruba or understand it for that matter. No one is fighting igbo people Asha. Igbo people can be lagosians after all the Murray Bruces and Ibru's are considered Lagos families arent they? And their certainly not yoruba!

@ Olutoye

Are u even from lagos. So someone who is from Oyo can claim to be a lagosian, but someone from enugu can't, now that's sick.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by asha80(m): 6:35pm On Mar 20, 2009
@Olutoye

I am not confused and l know what i wrote.I was replying Tpia.When i said primordal sentiments did i state anywhere restricting the phenomenom to lagos?I never stated that it NOT IMPORTANT to learn how to speak yoruba.What i said is that it can happen.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 6:36pm On Mar 20, 2009
tpia:

but you're not a lagosian.

We're talking about people who were born and raised in lagos. Not people born in lagos and raised somewhere else oh!

in the context of this thread plz.

If u did social studies in high school then you should have known that there are different kinds of citizenship.
Citizen by Birth, by naturalization, by marraige etc.  I wasn't born in lagos but have lived here since 1996 so i consider my self a dual citizen of Lagos and Enugu.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by OluToye: 6:42pm On Mar 20, 2009
Haba Afam when did i say that? But no i'm not from Lagos, at least my fathers half isnt. But i do consider myself a lagosian after all i was born there and feel very at home there. You too can but not if you dont think its important to acknowledge the original inhabitants of Eko. Infact Afam i'm sure u wish we'd all drop dead and die(see how i put words into ur mouth, its not nice is it). Anyways Afam Omo Enugu it does seem u like lagos alot ooh, So fe di Oba abi Governor ni? lol
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by tpia: 6:43pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 6:46pm On Mar 20, 2009
OluToye:

Haba Afam when did i say that? But no i'm not from Lagos, at least my fathers half isnt. But i do consider myself a lagosian after all i was born there and feel very at home there. You too can but not if you dont think its important to acknowledge the original inhabitants of Eko. Infact Afam i'm sure u wish we'd all drop dead and die(see how i put words into ur mouth, its not nice is it). Anyways Afam Omo Enugu it does seem u like lagos alot ooh, So fe di Oba abi Governor ni? lol

Stop confusing yourself, Asha answered your question by telling you that lagos is a yoruba state traditionally. So no one can claim lagos as an Igbo state.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 6:48pm On Mar 20, 2009
I feel it's only when you roll with a certain caliber of people that you get to learn yoruba or if you live in certain places.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by tpia: 6:52pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by OluToye: 6:53pm On Mar 20, 2009
But honestly i dont even get you. You just said you considered yourself a citizen of Lagos and now you say igbo people can't claim lagos. Contradictory is it not? Trust me if you do something great for the people of Lagos you will be claimed as "omo wa".
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by asha80(m): 6:57pm On Mar 20, 2009
@Tpia

Not entirely correct.I have cousins that were brn and brought up in lagos that cannot speak yoruba but can understand it when spoken.I went to a unity secondary school and i met some people like that.

There is a character in nairaland called ghettochyk that was born and brought up in lagos that cannot speak yoruba.maybe you can ask her how possible was that.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by tpia: 7:33pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by Hauwa1: 8:20pm On Mar 20, 2009
it is abt time for us to mix up in nigeria. claim where you're born or claim where you grew up.

until we do that, there will always be problem of mine mine mine in nigeria.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by AfroCynic: 9:49pm On Mar 20, 2009
It's nice to read what you all think on the matter but I really do think that if you were born there or have lived there for a substantial amount of years, you have all the right to be Lagosian I do not know what the big controversy is,

Although a majority of those born in Lagos do speak Yoruba, you have to understand that it depends where it is you were born. Maybe if you're from Eko or A.J. or the rougher parts of the state, (this is just me positing my own theory, I beg no chop my head off o) there is a bigger possibility but the Aje bota children are not as likely to to be conversant in Yoruba (or their own mother tongue for that matter), they might understand it but I am not sure they'll be able to hold a conversation in it.
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by OluToye: 12:17am On Mar 21, 2009
Don't even know how i even missed this "Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo?" Tiauuuuun GBOSA GBOSA GBOSA. Haba, afrocynic u try for this one. grin
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by osisi2(f): 12:21am On Mar 21, 2009
anybody born ,bred or resident in lagos is a lagosian afterall 80% of the families there came from somewhere else.
Is Fashola's family from Lagos state originally?
Re: Is Is Possible To A Lagosian Igbo? by Nobody: 1:13am On Mar 21, 2009
the problem is how do you enter molue without understanding Yoruba? If the bus conductor gives you the wrong change, are you going to argue with him in English?

And I'm sure these people you know, who grew up in lagos without speaking Yoruba, will still understand it well enough to know when someone is insulting them.

This is not true. Molue and danfo drivers understand English. Most might not be fluent with it but they do communicate with pidgin English.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The True Story Of How The Eze Ndigbo Of Malaysia Died / What's Your Favorite Flavor Of Chocolate Man Cake? / Oso Asiri Bibo Kekere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.