Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,783 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja (883 Views)

NYSC Official Brutalize Corper In Ekiti For Not Wearing Her Jacket (Photos) / The Tallest Male Corper In Nigeria: Bakare Olalekan Mubarak (Photos) / Oversized Khaki Given To A Corper In Ogun State. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by WhatDoYouMean: 9:41pm On Aug 02, 2015
Good evening Nairalanders and welcome to the beautiful month of August.

I was amongst the 2014 Batch B corpers who completed their service year on 2nd of July (exactly one month today). I served in Abuja.
Towards the tail-end of my service year, after my usual Friday CDS meeting, I was on my way to the house. I flagged down a taxi going my way. I had just N500 on me, and was deeply thinking what life will look for me that weekend with only the balance I was to get from the taxi guy. When I got to where I was to drop, I gave the young, ebony black, slim Hausa guy in his early 20s the only cash on me (N500). There were two other passengers on board the taxi.

To my generational surprise, the guy handed N900 (500+200+100+100) to me as my balance. I gave him back the entire money and alerted him that I was overpaid. He smiled at me faintly, collected the money from me, sent his hand towards the driver's door, brought it out and handed yet another N900 to me (500+200+200). I counted the money again and sensing that he may not be doing the repeated mistake with his sense of self-worth (common sense), I smiled at him, but this time, with a mild irritation! I gave him back N500 from the N900 he handed to me. I was now left with my due balance of N400 (200+200) since my route's fare was N100.

Lesson
There are a number of lessons from my encounter with this young driver. But one significant thing I learnt is that "Not everybody has the opportunity you have". That this guy didn't go through formal education (like I had the privilege to) was never enough reason for me to path away with his money.

On daily basis as I think, we encounter various opportunities that present themselves as veritable platforms for us to make a life worth living. What we choose to do with these opportunities is better left at the judgment of our consciences. I will stop with the Golden Rule which posits that "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them To Do To You"

1 Like

Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by INTROVERT(f): 9:42pm On Aug 02, 2015
if na 9mil nko

1 Like

Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by glamourroudy(m): 9:46pm On Aug 02, 2015

1 Like

Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by chocolateme(f): 9:49pm On Aug 02, 2015
Its a wise thing to do since some people are on this planet and sold their conscience to another planet. God will multiply for you over and over again.

INTROVERT: why do u always act in contrary to your moniker? From today onward, I declare you EXTROVERT..
Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by INTROVERT(f): 9:51pm On Aug 02, 2015
chocolateme:
Its a wise thing to do since some people are on this planet and sold their conscience to another planet. God will multiply for you over and over again.

INTROVERT: why do u always act in contrary to your moniker? From today onward, I declare you EXTROVERT..

kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by mebad(m): 9:52pm On Aug 02, 2015
You did the right thing. The excess change is not even worth the regret
Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by shawnfamous(m): 10:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
Baba 4get formal or informal edu.. D fact is d guy didnt knw d amount u gave 2 him! All this iya alata dem go sch abi..if u buy smtn worth of ₦85 nd u gv dem ₦1015 dem go gv u ur change complete without calculator

1 Like

Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by fatdon2(m): 10:27pm On Aug 02, 2015
So
Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by chocolateme(f): 11:47pm On Aug 02, 2015
INTROVERT:

kiss kiss kiss
kiss kiss dear muah!! kiss
Re: How A Driver Overpaid A 'broke' Corper In Abuja by amii131(f): 8:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hmmmm I comment my reserve

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Saga:pls Can Someone Explain Any Single Reason For This Rough Play! / Buhari Doles Out N500 Billion For School Feeding, Post-nysc / Ekiti State Corpers Please Assist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.