Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? (3756 Views)

Two Different O-level Results Bear Andy Uba’s Name- Both Were Issued Same Year / FRSC Now To Bear Firearms – Oyeyemi / Bear With Me, Change Will Come — Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by intrepid: 9:49am On Aug 03, 2015
I have 2 questions:

1.I have been wondering and would like to know how it happened that we have such names like; Spiff,Lawson,Jack,Mighty,Clarke,Clinton etc.

What happened?
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Mogidi: 9:50am On Aug 03, 2015
Why do Hausas and Yorubas bear Arabic names?

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by socialmediaman: 9:51am On Aug 03, 2015
English last names (surnames), you mean? You can add that to the question for clarity
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by socialmediaman: 9:55am On Aug 03, 2015
Mogidi:
Why do Hausas and Yorubas bear Arabic names?

Bad history student/teacher
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Gboliwe: 9:58am On Aug 03, 2015
Having such name doesn't worry me, the one that makes me laugh is the kind of names like "fineface, governor, tata, baby, somebody, his excellency etc that they give and allow the kids to grow up with. Those ones make me laugh.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by jairusben(m): 10:12am On Aug 03, 2015
Remember there wAs a shipping port at Bonny and other neighboring States were the white men hanged around in those good old days.. That was how does names came into existence

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by adewaletb3(m): 10:17am On Aug 03, 2015
Just relax and keep wondering.
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by BlackBaron: 10:21am On Aug 03, 2015
Gboliwe:
Having such name doesn't worry me, the one that makes me laugh is the kind of names like "[b]fineface, governor, tata, baby, somebody, his excellency etc that they give and allow the kids to grow up with. Those ones make me laugh.
grin shocked Governor, His excellency ?

Add
'Monday'-'Sunday',
Polycarp
Boniface
Emperor
Government

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Gboliwe: 10:25am On Aug 03, 2015
BlackBaron:
grin shocked Governor, His excellency ?

Add
'Monday'-'Sunday',
Polycarp
Boniface
Emperor

I have seen other regions/tribe give the monday to sunday name to their children. It's not exclusive to the Niger Deltans
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by zendy: 10:31am On Aug 03, 2015
intrepid:
I have 2 questions:

1.I have been wondering and would like to know how it happened that we have such names like; Spiff,Lawson,Jack,Mighty,Clarke,Clinton etc.

2.Why do they have some Igbo sounding names but they are not Igbos.E.g. Amaechi,Ikenna,Nwanne,Chibuike,etc

What happened?

Niger Delta is not a people, it is an area of land. It is mostly Ijaws that have English names largely because of contact with the Europeans. It's almost impossible to any Niger delta Igbos who have English last names.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by size40: 10:37am On Aug 03, 2015
Our early encounter with Europeans made it so. And that's why u we bear such names. My people bear good English names unlike the Igbos who still bear old English names that no longer exist in the white man's dictionary like Romanus, Polycarp, Longinus, Cletus, Calistus etc.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 03, 2015
Disumusa my boy watsup.
Hv u found ur certificate yet grin.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Flyoruboy1: 10:43am On Aug 03, 2015
Gboliwe:
Having such name doesn't worry me, the one that makes me laugh is the kind of names like "fineface, governor, tata, baby, somebody, his excellency etc that they give and allow the kids to grow up with. Those ones make me laugh.

Add "Finebone" and "Boniface" to your list. grin
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Flyoruboy1: 10:45am On Aug 03, 2015
size40:
Our early encounter with Europeans made it so. And that's why u we bear such names. My people bear good English names unlike the Igbos who still bear old English names that no longer exist in the white man's dictionary like Romanus, Polycarp, Longinus, Cletus, Calistus etc.

Add "Magnus" to that list. cheesy
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by bugzbunny: 10:47am On Aug 03, 2015
F
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 03, 2015
Flyoruboy1:

Add "Finebone" and "Boniface" to your list. grin
Even pepple and longjohn.
It's more rampant among d Ijaws.
Rivers state Ijaws in particular around Opobo and Bonny.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Afam4eva(m): 10:50am On Aug 03, 2015
size40:
Those are Latin names and not English names. It's mostly Catholics that bear those names.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by intrepid: 10:51am On Aug 03, 2015
There was also this popular columnist/ writer during Abacha era ,called OSA DIRECTOR.

I'm sure he's also from that side.

Lol@ LongJohn.
Maybe one could also find Johnny Walker there too grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 03, 2015
intrepid:
There was also this popular columnist/ writer during Abacha era ,called OSA DIRECTOR.

I'm sure he's also from that side.

Lol@ LongJohn.
Maybe one could also find Johnny Walker there too grin grin grin
I think u shud travel more often.
At least u wud know experience things first hand.
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 03, 2015
Gboliwe:
Like Senator James Manager?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 11:03am On Aug 03, 2015
Heineken, manager, Murray Bruce, Chelsea, Government, Godspower, Millennium, Jack, Whitehead.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by asha80(m): 11:03am On Aug 03, 2015
barcanista:

Heineken lokpoibiri

grin lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 03, 2015
The English names cane as a result of Early Contact with the Europeans and ofcourse European influence. I don't think this is different from Northerners that bear Ahmed, Abdul, Amina and all other Arabic names.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Flyoruboy1: 11:05am On Aug 03, 2015
barcanista:

Or the APC Rivers Publicity Secretary, Chief Chris Finebone. cheesy
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 03, 2015
asha80:

Heineken lokpoibiri

grin lipsrsealed
Lokpoibiri is Izon. As for Heineken... Thanks to early contact with the Europeans.
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by asha80(m): 11:08am On Aug 03, 2015
barcanista:
Lokpoibiri is Izon. As for Heineken... Thanks to early contact with the Europeans.
I highlighted Heineken.
I know of lokpoibiri
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 03, 2015
Flyoruboy1:

Or the APC Rivers Publicity Secretary, Chief Chris Finebone. cheesy
Government Ekpemupolo aka Tompolo

I love my people jare... grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 03, 2015
asha80:
I highlighted Heineken.
I know of lokpoibiri
ooops my bad bro...
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Flyoruboy1: 11:16am On Aug 03, 2015
barcanista:

Government Ekpemupolo aka Tompolo

I love my people jare... grin

Wow. Here I was thinking the "Government" in his name is a mere nickname or title. You learn something new daily. Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by intrepid: 11:19am On Aug 03, 2015
angry grin grin grin@ Whitehead.,Finebone,

But I don't really get it.Most of these names are not answered anywhere,even in those European countries now but we have them in there.

We might see Big Head ,Long legs,etc someday

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by OfoIgbo: 11:24am On Aug 03, 2015
asha80:
I highlighted Heineken.
I know of lokpoibiri

Nnaa this Heineken must have come from the beer cheesy

Magnus, Cletus e.t.c are Catholic/Latin baptismal names given to a lot of Igbo catholics, but only as a first or second name. Never as a surname.
Mind you I was told that Celestine Babayaro and Justice Christopher are Igbos. I don't know how reliable this information is, but even if it is accurate, I will be interested to know how they came about their surnames
Re: Why Do Niger Delta Bear English Surnames? by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 03, 2015
Flyoruboy1:

Wow. Here I was thinking the "Government" in his name is a mere nickname or title. You learn something new daily. Interesting.
We learn everyday

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senator Dino Melaye’s Acquires New Rolls Royce Worth N89 Million (photos) / It's In Nigeria's Interest To Promote Transparency In Extractive Sector-osinbajo / Election Results From Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.