Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans (2000 Views)

Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? / Need To Borrow Money / When Your Mother Takes All Her Money To Pastors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Akuneshiobike(m): 3:08pm On Aug 03, 2015
I am a working class guy (middle class to be precise). I am currently working towards my wedding arrangement which i proposed to be in some months ahead. My fiancee is still schooling (3rd yr) in one of the Nigerian Universities.
I must sincerely tell you that after putting down some estimates with an event planner, it resulted that the cash i have at hand is not enough to foot the whole bills. It was at this point that the idea of going for a borrow automatically came to my mind, though my other thought is kicking against it.
Mind you, my woman is not pregnant, as to say i'm rushing things, but why i'm actually thinking of embarking for a small loan is 1.because an invitation card has already been printed and partly distributed to friends and families. 2.Part of my life decisions is never to marry late,30 yrs of age, which i'm currently in is my benchmark.
Now, my ever-hungered answer(s) to my question is this-should i reschedule the wedding date until i am fully ready financially or proceed with the soft loan in other maintain the proposed date. Your sincere advise will go a long way in putting me on the right track.
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by akinloluwao: 3:19pm On Aug 03, 2015
Never you try such a stupid thing. Why will you put yourself in an avoidable problem? Oh you want to show your In-Law you are man enough right? Must you use a wedding planner? If its a must, tell them to work on your budget. Remember wedding is just a day and marriage is everlasting. Be wise. If you like kill 10 cows it will still not be enough

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Savigne(f): 3:21pm On Aug 03, 2015
Hmmmm...I wouldnt advise you to borrow causer after the wedding then what?...Like you said she's in 300l so I'll suggest you wait till she's through with her education its just a year from now ryt?
How will you enjoy the wedding knowing you have debts to pay after?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Slimzjoe(m): 3:22pm On Aug 03, 2015
Bro, Seek For Funds From Close Friends and Family....don't go and Eat Gbese You're not Entirely Sure of Paying
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by meimoks(f): 3:28pm On Aug 03, 2015
Cut your coat according to your size
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by olydedon: 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
Let all your expensive fall within your budget. Cut down the number people you will invite. Never plan based on the money you will get (based on promises) before or after your wedding because you might be disappointed. All the best. But NEVER BORROW ANY MONEY FOR WEDDING
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by SirLegal(m): 3:35pm On Aug 03, 2015
In my candid opinion, don't borrow for your wedding. Thank Goodness you are working, so just SAVE, SAVE, SAVE & SAVE ENOUGH money that will be enough for the wedding. You might borrow today and the monetary proceeds you get from the wedding wouldn't be enough to clear your debts. I know you don't love been a debtor.

Also your fiancee is an undergraduate, so with you adhering to this advice of mine and start saving, she will just graduate sharpaly and you guys enjoy your marital bliss without her going for lectures grin cool.

MY CANDID ADVICE.
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by ronald4lif(m): 3:35pm On Aug 03, 2015
Borrowing to fund a wedding is not a good idea and you should dismiss such thoughts without delay.

The wedding plans should be executed within your budget and don't secure soft loan for whatever reason. There's no perfect wedding and no matter the resources deployed it won't satisfy the guests and what's the essence of pleasing people to have an outstanding wedding when you have greater challenges to face after the nuptials?

I don't know why people pay so much focus on weddings and not on how to financially sustain the union after all the show off. Once you secure a loan it's going to have a toll on your finances as you'd struggle to clear it off while the home suffers for it.

Don't go beyond your budget and means to please people, it's not worth it. Anyone who turn up and food or drinks or souvenirs didn't reach them should return to their houses and eat. If their reason for showing up was to gulp food and drinks like hungry lions then they had better not turn up.
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by eghuan1(m): 3:37pm On Aug 03, 2015
bros, make I warn you against what you may see as a small thing. na so my guy collect 300k from microfinance bank to do wedding and still collected 50k from me wey I be wan add to my savings to open a shop three months ago, all because im wan form man for im in-laws and friends.
now his business is not up and doing as he planned and I can't get my money to start my business, my guy don close im business to go village go start farm. how Long its going to take for me to get my cash, I don't know. the bad thing is that he was there when I paid rent for my shop and its over two months now I have not opened my business.

guy no matter how fine ur babe's ass is Please don't put urself into what you can't control.

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE

IF THE LOAN IS NOT GOING TO BRING EXTRA CASH, DONT TAKE IT.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 03, 2015
u started distributing iv cards for a wedding u don't even hv the money to fund. do pple not think anymore? undecided. ur wedding can be put on hold. u'r still young. if u get married at 31, 32, u will not die. ur fiancee sef is just in 3rd yr at uni, so who is chasing both of u to put urself in debt and get married when u can't pay for it? take ur time and wait till u hv the money.

Akuneshiobike:
I am a working class guy (middle class to be precise). I am currently working towards my wedding arrangement which i proposed to be in some months ahead. My fiancee is still schooling (3rd yr) in one of the Nigerian Universities.
I must sincerely tell you that after putting down some estimates with an event planner, it resulted that the cash i have at hand is not enough to foot the whole bills. It was at this point that the idea of going for a borrow automatically came to my mind, though my other thought is kicking against it.
Mind you, my woman is not pregnant, as to say i'm rushing things, but why i'm actually thinking of embarking for a small loan is 1.because an invitation card has already been printed and partly distributed to friends and families. 2.Part of my life decisions is never to marry late,30 yrs of age, which i'm currently in is my benchmark.
Now, my ever-hungered answer(s) to my question is this-should i reschedule the wedding date until i am fully ready financially or proceed with the soft loan in other maintain the proposed date. Your sincere advise will go a long way in putting me on the right track.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 03, 2015
WDF!

Wedding is only but a day, don't you want to live a life after your wedding

We should learn how to cut our coat according to our cloth. Do your wedding within your limitations so you won't regret later. Marriage is not a child's play and you are building castles in the air already.

Perform the traditional rites, take your wife to the priest and exchange marital vows. You don't have to show people how sophisticated and rich you are whereas you borrowed money for your wedding. Celebrations no dey finish abeg.

Spend within your income and resources.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Ralphlauren(m): 4:20pm On Aug 03, 2015
aflyingbird:
u started distributing iv cards for a wedding u don't even hv the money to fund. do pple not think anymore? undecided. ur wedding can be put on hold. u'r still young. if u get married at 31, 32, u will not die. ur fiancee sef is just in 3rd yr at uni, so who is chasing both of u to put urself in debt and get married when u can't pay for it? take ur time and wait till u hv the money.

you've said it all

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Gracious10: 4:59pm On Aug 03, 2015
Men and their pride.
You know u don't have the funds, why embark on a wedding that will clean up ur account?

Whats wrong in inviting 20-30 people for your wedding? Must it be elaborate? What's important is that u got wedded.

This is the reason why people impose financial bondage on themselves. You should show ur inlaws how ur pocket is from day one. If they are considerate, they wont expect much from you.
Moreover the lady is still in school, if you are the one footing her education, you should please take it easy with funds because money is vital in marriage.

Do what you can do, if that woman is for you, she will definitely understand and work with you.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Akuneshiobike(m): 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2015
aflyingbird:

You are right in what you said. What actually caused this financial breach was as a result of a particular business deal i executed which i thought would have brought some reasonable amount of money to me to complement, but quite unfortunate, the deal was extended to early January next year. My other challenge also is the wedding card that has already been distributed to some friends and families. What will i tell them?
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Akuneshiobike(m): 5:36pm On Aug 03, 2015
Gracious10:
Men and their pride.
You know u don't have the funds, why embark on a wedding that will clean up ur account?

Whats wrong in inviting 20-30 people for your wedding? Must it be elaborate? What's important is that u got wedded.

This is the reason why people impose financial bondage on themselves. You should show ur inlaws how ur pocket is from day one. If they are considerate, they wont expect much from you.
Moreover the lady is still in school, if you are the one footing her education, you should please take it easy with funds because money is vital in marriage.

Do what you can do, if that woman is for you, she will definitely understand and work with you.

Thanks for your inspiring advise.
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Akuneshiobike(m): 5:45pm On Aug 03, 2015
ronald4lif:
Borrowing to fund a wedding is not a good idea and you should dismiss such thoughts without delay.

The wedding plans should be executed within your budget and don't secure soft loan for whatever reason. There's no perfect wedding and no matter the resources deployed it won't satisfy the guests and what's the essence of pleasing people to have an outstanding wedding when you have greater challenges to face after the nuptials?

I don't know why people pay so much focus on weddings and not on how to financially sustain the union after all the show off. Once you secure a loan it's going to have a toll on your finances as you'd struggle to clear it off while the home suffers for it.

Don't go beyond your budget and means to please people, it's not worth it. Anyone who turn up and food or drinks or souvenirs didn't reach them should return to their houses and eat. If their reason for showing up was to gulp food and drinks like hungry lions then they had better not turn up.
The bolded got me cracking
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 03, 2015
You know, I really cannot comprehend the foolishness of some people. You want to borrow to sponsor a wedding? Really? To impress who exactly? Your neighbours? Friends? Inlaws? Co-workers? Who?
Just know that whoever you want to impress with the wedding will forget all about your wedding and its glamour the moment he/she leaves the venue. Next saturday, they are off to another one. No biggie.

What happened to doing a small wedding within your budget? A close-knit-indoor trad and a simple Registry/church wedding? Do you know that you will need cash to start and maintain a modest family? It is not easy for two working couples to cope with bills, talk more when the financial load is on one shoulder as your wife is a student.

It is not enough to say you must be married at 30 and then go borrowing to sponsor the wedding. What happens afterwards? How do you intend taking care of your would-be family? Guy, abeg borrow sense instead.

I hope your fiancee is not the one pushing you to do an over-the-top wedding. Cos same fiancee will cry foul when you go broke and can't feed her.

A word is enough for the wise. You better set your priorities right.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by raydatluvs(m): 6:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
Personally, I think the op shud add certain figure estimates to his posts, cud help understanding. Like aw much does he intend to spend, how much is left, wat is ur income stream cos it might be dat u just are not liquid now and , wat does the lady think about dis, how old is she cos I sense it m8ght have to do with pressures frm her etc

Then I don't tink its okay to put a rigid benchmark to life, let ur benchmark be flexible to ur circumstances, one of the attributes of having a good home. So if because u have reached ur 'benchmark' u wana rush den I feel u shud rethink. So I tink i wud need more info buh with the given, i tink u shud relax a lil more.

Wed within ur means, marry with all ur means...
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Akuneshiobike(m): 6:51pm On Aug 03, 2015
raydatluvs:
Personally, I think the op shud add certain figure estimates to his posts, cud help understanding. Like aw much does he intend to spend, how much is left, wat is ur income stream cos it might be dat u just are not liquid now and , wat does the lady think about dis, how old is she cos I sense it m8ght have to do with pressures frm her etc

Then I don't tink its okay to put a rigid benchmark to life, let ur benchmark be flexible to ur circumstances, one of the attributes of having a good home. So if because u have reached ur 'benchmark' u wana rush den I feel u shud rethink. So I tink i wud need more info buh with the given, i tink u shud relax a lil more.

Wed within ur means, marry with all ur means...
@raydatluvs, you might be right to some point, but i think disclosing the information of my earning, how much i have invested, how much i have at hand, and the amount am looking out for etc, as you requested above might not really provide the solution that i seek. My main concern here is if i'm to postpone this event, what kind of face will i use to inform some of my friends and colleagues that the event has been postponed. Because of what? insufficient fund...kai, it really sounds weird.
A contract i carried out lately with the 99% assurance of yielding some reasonable amount of money, which i wanted to use to complement, was unfortunately shifted to be awarded by January next year.
As for my fiancee, she is 24 years old and actually not the one mounting pressure on me here. She is such a wonderful lady i have been with for some good number of yrs now.
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by armyofone(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2015
Never use money you don't have to plan a wedding.
You should use what you have, invite some few friends and families. Live your life according to your own dictation.
You don't need to paint the town red to have a successful wedding.
Re: Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 03, 2015
tell them ur wedding has been postponed. u can tell ur family the reason but no need to go into any detail with ur friends, they don't need to know. if they ask why, just tell them u and ur fiance made the decision for personal reasons, prefer to wed on another date and u will keep them updated on the new date. that should do. nothing weird abt postponing ur wedding for financial reasons. do u know what weird means? angry angry. it's not weird but wise!

Akuneshiobike:
You are right in what you said. What actually caused this financial breach was as a result of a particular business deal i executed which i thought would have brought some reasonable amount of money to me to complement, but quite unfortunate, the deal was extended to early January next year. My other challenge also is the wedding card that has already been distributed to some friends and families. What will i tell them?

Akuneshiobike:
@raydatluvs, you might be right to some point, but i think disclosing the information of my earning, how much i have invested, how much i have at hand, and the amount am looking out for etc, as you requested above might not really provide the solution that i seek. My main concern here is if i'm to postpone this event, what kind of face will i use to inform some of my friends and colleagues that the event has been postponed. Because of what? insufficient fund...kai, it really sounds weird.
A contract i carried out lately with the 99% assurance of yielding some reasonable amount of money, which i wanted to use to complement, was unfortunately shifted to be awarded by January next year.
As for my fiancee, she is 24 years old and actually not the one mounting pressure on me here. She is such a wonderful lady i have been with for some good number of yrs now.

(1) (Reply)

Heart Touching Pictures Of Obama And Kids / Sexy Twin Ladies Hit The Internet With Photos Of Their Cute Babies / Sad Story Of Emmanuel Eboue: “from Riches To Rags”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.