Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,550 members, 7,955,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:22 PM

Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education (860 Views)

N780bn: I’ll Meet Lawmakers Today Over N50bn Payment – Shittu / N50bn Debt: Court Orders AMCON To Take-over MMA 2, Old Fed Secretariat, Others - / Amigo Supermarket Owners Sues FG For N50bn For Unlawful Detention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by asha80(m): 11:43am On Mar 19, 2009
Yoruba elite shop for N50bn to rescue education http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200903192391082
By Segun Olugbile
Published: Thursday, 19 Mar 2009
Some Yoruba elite, under the aegis of the Yoruba Education Trust Fund, have raised the alarm that the South-West geo-political zone is becoming educationally disadvantaged.

To this end, YETFUND’s Chairman, Dr. Ola Vincent, said that the group was shopping for N50bn to rescue the decadent education sector in the zone.

Vincent, a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, disclosed this while briefing journalists about the activities of the fund in Lagos on Wednesday.

He noted that the rot in the sector was the result of the truncation of the free education programme initiated by the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, by the military in 1983.

“Gradually and progressively, Yoruba people are becoming educationally disadvantaged. In order to escape the rot, those with means send their children to the United States of America and Europe and those with little means send their children to Ghana,” he said.

He added that the money raised would form the seed money for an endowment fund that would be professionally managed to guarantee the sustainability of the project.

Vincent was accompanied to the press conference by other members of the fund, including the former Vice-Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Prof. Wale Omole; Prof. Babatunde Fetuga; the founder, Oodua People’s Congress, Dr. Frederick Fasheun; Dr. Tunji Otegbeye; Erelu Abiola Dosumu; Bashorun J.K. Randle and Senator Olabiyi Durojaiye.
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by lucabrasi(m): 12:41pm On Mar 19, 2009
what exactly is the point of this if i may ask, people have come again, what has been highlighted in the article is an endemic problem confronting all ethnicities and parts of nigeria,and they should be commended for taking the initiative out of the whole ethnicities to solve the problem rather than subscribing to the whole"my tribe or ethnicity has the best jamb scores or university intake" feel good factor,that is at best hollow
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by JJYOU: 12:46pm On Mar 19, 2009
50bn? educationg sikira, kayode and kunle
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by lucabrasi(m): 1:01pm On Mar 19, 2009
JJYOU:

50bn? educationg sikira, kayode and kunle
pls apologise to your computer for making it churn out something as preposterous as this
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by asha80(m): 1:04pm On Mar 19, 2009
Lucabrasi are you attacking me or the post undecided
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Nobody: 3:16pm On Mar 19, 2009
They should talk to

OBJ
Alao Akala
Fani Kayode
OGD
Iyabo Obasanjo
etc

Getting the fund shdnt be too difficult
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Ijawman(m): 5:57pm On Mar 19, 2009
Xavier.:

They should talk to

OBJ
Alao Akala
Fani Kayode
OGD
Iyabo Obasanjo
etc

Getting the fund shdnt be too difficult

You are right. It should be easy to raise the money. They can get it from OBJ, Alao Akala, Madam Etteh, Bankole, Grange, Borishade, Fani Kayode, OGD, Iyabo Obasanjo, Bode George, Tafa Balogun, Ehindero, Bunmi Oni, Fayose, Makanjuola and hundreds of other known, (please complete)

Actually, this is another ploy to rip people off. Vincent Ola is very far away from ordinary Yoruba man on d street and hence he does not know what they want.95% of Yoruba graduates who ar products of free education ar currently jobless and what they need now is JOB and not further education.Vincent Ola should better raise that N50B and use it to build viable factories in all Yoruba towns Now.When those jobless graduate Yorubas ar engaged u can then think of producing more quality graduates.
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by ikeyman00(m): 6:00pm On Mar 19, 2009
ijawman
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by lucabrasi(m): 6:00pm On Mar 19, 2009
asha 80:

Lucabrasi are you attacking me or the post undecided
im not attacking you but the post and its presumed intentions
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by ikeyman00(m): 6:01pm On Mar 19, 2009
IJAWMAN

Actually all those names u got there are freedom criminals cool cool in the name of politics??
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Becomrrich: 3:20am On Mar 20, 2009
I am starting a program to help on http://.com Save Yoruba Child . This way Yorubas abroad can help sponsor a yoruba child in Nigeria.
It is important we do something.

It would take less than $50 a month to help some yoruba child get a better education. The is the way to help. So register and save a Yoruba child. God bless you.

And you can also try to help your former school in nigeria. Or if you have new or Use books or computer, we can help ship it to nigeria. To primary and secondary school of the 10 state that have Yorubas.

email

EgbeOmoOduduwa@hotmail.com
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Kobojunkie: 4:48am On Mar 20, 2009
Great idea, but I am not sure Awolowo would have been for the YORUBA ONLY angle of it all. I mean come on, are the yoruba elite really this tribal in their reasoning on the state of education in that country? I wonder who these elites really are.
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Sammy107d(m): 6:04am On Mar 20, 2009
hmm I know Dr. Vincent Ola. He has a good reputation.
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 20, 2009
The Yoruba tribe is fast becoming an 'Elitist' Tribe.The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting pooorer and getting more and more subjugated and relegated. Resources meant for the whole society are being consumed by a few individuals. Children are dropping out of schools in hundreds daily for want of fund. The few rich elite send their children to foreign private schools.

The sad part of the whole story is that a good number of these few individuals with access to quality education, albeit through missappropriated public funds, end up squandering these resources on drugs and other nefarious acts. The future looks gloomy, unless something is done fast.
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by iReport: 9:18am On Mar 20, 2009
The Yoruba tribe is fast becoming an 'Elitist' Tribe.The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting pooorer and getting more and more subjugated and relegated. Resources meant for the whole society are being consumed by a few individuals. Children are dropping out of schools in hundreds daily for want of fund. The few rich elite send their children to foreign private schools.

not peculiar to yorubas
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Sammy107d(m): 9:25am On Mar 20, 2009
i thought that was a nigerian thing
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by Lamidiobi1: 10:14am On Mar 20, 2009
yoruba elite has finally taken their master trade 419 home. they want to rob unsuspecting public and line their pockets. is it today they realied that yoruba is last in education among the 3 major tribes in nigeria but they will be the 1st to claim they top in education. claiming something does not mean its true. at least you guys are telling each other the truth about yaself.
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by asha80(m): 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2009
Great idea, but I am not sure Awolowo would have been for the YORUBA ONLY angle of it all. I mean come on, are the yoruba elite really this tribalistic in their reasoning on the state of education in that country? I wonder who these elites really are.

Not everyone has your nationalistic outlook to things.
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by iReport: 7:12pm On Mar 20, 2009

yoruba elite has finally taken their master trade 419 home. they want to rob unsuspecting public and line their pockets. is it today they realied that yoruba is last in education among the 3 major tribes in nigeria but they will be the 1st to claim they top in education. claiming something does not mean its true. at least you guys are telling each other the truth about yaself.

No wonder people think gays and ex gays have something seriously wrong with them. undecided undecided
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by mustafar1: 7:23pm On Mar 20, 2009
can we ban people instead of locking threads? NL stock price dey reduce with every tribal/ethnic comment made on here. WE NEED TO REBRAND NAIRALAND!
Re: Yoruba Elite Shop For N50bn To Rescue Education by osisi2(f): 3:47am On Mar 21, 2009
at least the problem is being adressed.
Isn't that what all zones ought to be doing?
This is commendable

(1) (Reply)

Okiro To Run For Senate ! / Nigeria Struggles With Flood - 'displaces Two Million' / Pros And Cons Of The Pdp & Acn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.