Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay (1391 Views)

Choristers Refuse To Attend Member's Burial Because He Owed Choir Dues / Bishop Suspends Lady From Her Church Choir For Marrying A Muslim - Twitter User / My Message Is Not For Everybody - Enoch Adeboye Responds To Critics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hillsong Responds to Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out as 'Gay,' Engaged to Another Member
August 4, 2015 | Filed under: Life & Society,Top Stories | By: Heather Clark

NEW YORK — Reports that a Hillsong choir director (or former choir director) has come out as "gay" and is engaged to another member has raised controversy nationwide and has elicited a response from the leader of the international chain of churches.

Josh Canfield, a Broadway performer, told Playbill earlier this year that he had become engaged to his boyfriend, Reed Kelly. Both had been featured on the reality show “Survivor: San Juan del Sur—Blood vs. Water.” He outlined that he is a choir director at Hillsong New York City and that he had admitted his homosexuality to his church.

"I became truthful with my church," Canfield said. "I'm a part of Hillsong NYC. I'm one of their choir directors. I also sing on their worship team."

But he stated that after coming out to his congregation, "nothing changed."

"They've been amazing as well,” Canfield explained. “Nothing has changed there now that I'm completely out and with Reed. He sings in the choir as well."

On Sunday, the blog Now the End Begins reported about the information afresh, lamenting that Hillsong New York City, led by Carl Lentz, "allow[s] an openly and unrepentantly gay couple to lead their choir." The post went viral, generating over 63,ooo shares and generating concern from Christians nationwide.

Following the attention to the matter, Hillsong leader Brian Houston issued a statement about the situation, stating that both men are no longer in the choir. It is not clear as to whether the men voluntarily left or were ousted by leadership.

"I wish to correct reports that Hillsong church has 'an openly gay couple directing a choir' at our New York City campus," Houston wrote. "Hillsong's position on homosexuality and gay marriage has not changed and is consistent with Scripture. As I have stated previously, I believe the writings of Paul are clear on this subject."

"Several months ago when one of our choir directors made an unexpected public statement regarding his engagement to a man who sometimes sang in the choir, it was a complete surprise to us as well,” he continued. “It is my understanding that they have not been involved in an active leadership or ministry role since."

Houston added that although the information has come to light, "[W]e still love them and acknowledge that they—like all of us—are on a journey, and our role as a church is to assist them on this journey with grace and compassion."

He said in a separate blog post that although homosexuals are welcome to attend the services, they are not permitted to serve in leadership roles.

http://christiannews.net/2015/08/04/hillsong-responds-to-concerns-after-choir-director-comes-out-as-gay-engaged-to-another-member/

Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by ladyF(f): 12:04am On Aug 05, 2015
Chai
Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by RichDad1(m): 12:12am On Aug 05, 2015
Faggöts.
Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by MuttleyLaff: 5:45am On Aug 05, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
Hillsong Responds to Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out as 'Gay,' Engaged to Another Member
August 4, 2015 | Filed under: Life & Society,Top Stories | By: Heather Clark

NEW YORK — Reports that a Hillsong choir director (or former choir director) has come out as "gay"
and is engaged to another member has raised controversy nationwide
and has elicited a response from the leader of the international chain of churches.

"I wish to correct reports that Hillsong church has 'an openly gay couple directing a choir' at our New York City campus," Houston wrote.
"Hillsong's position on homosexuality and gay marriage has not changed and is consistent with Scripture.
As I have stated previously, I believe the writings of Paul are clear on this subject."

OLAADEGBU:
Houston added that although the information has come to light,
"We still love them and acknowledge that they—like all of us—are on a journey,
and our role as a church is to assist them on this journey with grace and compassion
."

He said in a separate blog post that although homosexuals are welcome to attend the services,
they are not permitted to serve in leadership roles

ladyF:
Chai
cc RichDad1
[size=20pt]'You never forget the moment
you find out your dad's a paedophile':
Hillsong's Brian Houston tells of the 'devastating' 10 seconds when he realised his father, Frank, was a paedophile
[/size]

• Brian Houston found out about the allegations in a regular meeting with the church's general manager George Aghajanian
• 'It's not about you, it's about your father'
• He said it hit him in a 10 second wave
• Mr Houston said he first had to process that his father was homosexual and then he realised he was a paedophile
• On Tuesday, hearing heard victim AHA recall how Frank Houston would lie on, fffondle and masturbate him,
AHA alleged Brian Houston accused him of 'tempting' his father - Houston said he 'refutes' the allegation

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2785983/You-never-forget-moment-dad-s-paedophile-Hillsong-s-Brian-Houston-tells-devastating-10-seconds-realised-father-Frank-paedophile.html

http://www.christianpost.com/news/hillsongs-brian-houston-denies-allegations-of-cover-up-in-fathers-child-sex-abuse-case-127907/

Guess its a case of Daddy's chickens came home to roost, isnt it?
Daddy served in leadership position though... but then he wasnt ''openly gay''
Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by CaptainJune: 8:25am On Aug 05, 2015
Why do people deceive themselves in thinking they can serve God and still conveniently hold on to their sinful lives as prostitutes, homosexuals, liars, drunks, disobedient, wife beaters, deceivers, lesbians, gluttons, womanizers, adulterers, fornicators, strippers, sorcerers, peadophiles, gigolos, idolaters, thieves, and the list goes on...?

If they 're stubborn and will not repent of their evil ways, in my opinion, it were better they don't even waste their time by serving Christ and just focus on living in sin. After all, the Bible said it were better not to have known Him, than to know Him and still fall back in sin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by MuttleyLaff: 8:32am On Aug 05, 2015
CaptainJune:
Why do people deceive themselves in thinking they can serve God
and still conveniently hold on to their sinful lives as prostitutes, homosexuals, [size=20pt]liars[/size],
drunks, disobedient, wife beaters, deceivers, lesbians, gluttons, womanizers, adulterers, fornicators, strippers, sorcerers, peadophiles, gigolos, idolaters, thieves, and the list goes on...?

If they 're stubborn and will not repent of their evil ways, in my opinion, it were better they don't even waste their time by serving Christ and just focus on living in sin. After all, the Bible said it were better not to have known Him, than to know Him and still fall back in sin.
I guess you dont lie at all, you dont ever lie, even not or dont do ''white lies''
Please am just pulling your leg. Its a tongue-in-cheek post and not to be taken seriously

1 Like

Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:56am On Aug 05, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

I guess you dont lie at all, you dont ever lie, even not or dont do ''white lies''
Please am just pulling your leg. Its a tongue-in-cheek post and not to be taken seriously

The more reason why we all need to repent and believe in the gospel. Not to make sinners leaders in the church promoting sin.
Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:40pm On Aug 05, 2015
CaptainJune:

Why do people deceive themselves in thinking they can serve God and still conveniently hold on to their sinful lives as prostitutes, homosexuals, liars, drunks, disobedient, wife beaters, deceivers, lesbians, gluttons, womanizers, adulterers, fornicators, strippers, sorcerers, peadophiles, gigolos, idolaters, thieves, and the list goes on...?

I believe they intended to portray their homosexual lifestyle in defiance of God's Word.
Re: Hillsong Responds To Concerns After Choir Director Comes Out As Gay by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:29pm On Aug 09, 2015
ladyF:

Chai

Na so we see am o.

(1) (Reply)

I Have Met God: Edited: Eusebius Is The One I Thought Was God / B.I.U Faculty Of Engineering Building Donated By Pst Chris Have Been Completed / I Do Want To Join Occult Members To Be Rich And For Money Ritual In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.