Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? (824 Views)

World Female Leaders Wear Veil, It Is A Sign Of Respect For Religion And Custom / Jonathan Not Christian, Serves Voodoo Looted N32b From Bayelsa - SaharaReporters / Osun State: The Politics, The Mud And The Rust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by vwvw(m): 1:45pm On Mar 20, 2009
smiley smiley“You have to bring three strands of beard from a toddler, two teeth of a mosquito, Etc” the several gap toothed wealth-shaman looked menacingly at an open-mouthed patient who had come to him for help; the doorway to immense wealth and prosperity. The ‘jazzman’ ended with a note of finality saying “the only way out for this hapless victim was to comply or remain rooted in poverty”. This TV ad is the latest attempt by a Nigerian financial institution in encouraging more customers to its retirement savings scheme.

Well finding a mosquito’s canine could be equal to finding the Golden Fleece in Timbuktu, but what isn’t in doubt is the widespread belief in voodoo in several African countries. A love potion, success rings, Fertility incantations, security belts, everything and anything is possible in Africa. This week revived the Spanish inquisition in Gambia, when police and jazzmen working hand in glove discerned 1000 witches and wizards, http://connectafrica./2009/03/20/voodoo-religion-and-politics-in-the-african-shrine/
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by tpia: 1:51pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by vwvw(m): 2:26pm On Mar 20, 2009
true the grassgroots are illiterate but then we aren't killing the witches in sunday sermons then it's politicians visiting okija shrine to swear oaths. it's pervasive-this juju thing
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Mar 20, 2009
Many good can be done with Voodoo. People are just too shallow to ask for the right thing. If voodoo does work magic, then it can be done to help people and not just kill ourselves. I don taya for my people oooo.
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:57pm On Mar 20, 2009
Those things are all trash! They don't exist and were devised to exploit gullible people. People should learn to use their time for more important things.
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by lucabrasi(m): 12:06am On Mar 21, 2009
if juju doesnt exist,why then are professors lawyers medical doctors e.t.c all practitioners?
why did the bible acknowledge the existence of principalities and powers in high places?
voodoo is an african thing and just like any other religion,you will always have extremists,there are extremists amongst the xtians,same as the muslims e.t.c
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by Nobody: 12:38am On Mar 21, 2009
lucabrasi:

if juju doesnt exist,why then are professors lawyers medical doctors e.t.c all practitioners?
why did the bible acknowledge the existence of principalities and powers in high places?
voodoo is an african thing and just like any other religion,you will always have extremists,there are extremists amongst the xtians,same as the muslims e.t.c

I don't think voodoo have extremists at all. Voodoo is what you do with it and doesn't have definition. xtian and Muslim extremists are just the take over the world and the you are going to hell if you don't accept my God type. Voodoo is not forcing anyone to practice it, it's people that go to voodoo. They are totally different.
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by lucabrasi(m): 3:24am On Mar 21, 2009
9jaganja:

I don't think voodoo have extremists at all. Voodoo is what you do with it and doesn't have definition. xtian and Muslim extremists are just the take over the world and the you are going to hell if you don't accept my God type. Voodoo is not forcing anyone to practice it, it's people that go to voodoo. They are totally different.
of course they do,the likes of the oshun worshippers,the likes of the babalawos in cuba,brazil and all round nigeria are the peaceful devotees,they dont use blood in sacrifice or divination unlike the extremists, xtians have their extremists as well,the likes of the aladura churches using candles to wreak havoc and other stuffs are extremists,the alfas using the quran for dubious stuffs,the terrorists e.t.c are extremist
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by Nobody: 3:54am On Mar 21, 2009
lucabrasi:

of course they do,the likes of the oshun worshippers,the likes of the babalawos in cuba,brazil and all round nigeria are the peaceful devotees,they dont use blood in sacrifice or divination unlike the extremists, xtians have their extremists as well,the likes of the aladura churches using candles to wreak havoc and other stuffs are extremists,the alfas using the quran for dubious stuffs,the terrorists e.t.c are extremist

Right. But come to think of it, those babalawos in the caribbean aren't doing nothing. They are just ridiculing the Osun worshipping putting it up on youtube and other media stations. How about Ifa? Now that one has no extremists cause it's a teaching not a religion remember? I agree with barbaric priests being extremists but majority of their practices are considered evil. Osun worshippers hardly disturb anyone do they? Seriously I grew up in a sea worshiping family (Aromire) And if I remember correctly, everything in our family's beliefs are all teachings not an occultic or religious practice.
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by Kobojunkie: 4:03am On Mar 21, 2009
Oh Brother!!
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by Nobody: 4:15am On Mar 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh Brother!!

You sabi my family? cheesy cheesy cheesy That'll be so cool!!!
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by tpia: 4:20am On Mar 21, 2009
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by Nobody: 4:26am On Mar 21, 2009
tpia:

Aromire is peculiar to the sea? I thought it was just an ordinary name.

No it's not peculiar to the sea but it's my family's name. It's not an ordinary name angry angry, I don vex ooo. Aromire is my family's name and it doesn't mean every Aromire worship the sea. There are Aromires in Ogun state too I think and they don't worship the sea.
Re: Voodoo, Religion And Politics-the Same Message? by tpia: 4:37am On Mar 21, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News:global Economic Meltdown Hits Lagos. / ASUU Strike: I Think The Lecturers Are Dumb / Faces Of The Ex-bank Ceos And Other Accused Persons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.