Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,352 members, 7,957,938 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:35 AM

Windows Phone Is The Future - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Windows Phone Is The Future (1686 Views)

Bill Gates Switches To Android Phone, Dumps Windows Phone / Why Do Majority Of Smartphone Users In Nigeria Detest Windows Phone? / How To Know If Your Android Phone Is Fake Or Original (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Phone Is The Future by kuss: 12:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
I am always baffled by the cliche that Windows Phone lacks apps. Well, while Windows Phone lags behind iPhone & Android in apps, there are over half a million apps in the Windows Store already. I don't know how many apps a single user could ever want.

Concerning "..there still isn't much about Windows 10 Mobile that Android or the iPhone can't do." & "There's lots you can do on your iPhone or Android you can't do on your Windows 10 Mobile phone." Well, I beg to differ.

Windows 10 Mobile can run as a desktop PC through the "Continuum for Phones" feature (which supports dual-display mode) and connecting to a conventional monitor, keyboard and mouse through HDMI ports or Bluetooh wireless, for starters. Microsoft offers Visual Studio 2015 development tool for writing codes once for Windows 10 universal/cross-platform apps that can run on all Windows 10 devices, including smartphones. Furthermore, Microsoft also offers "Project Astoria" and "Visual Studio Code" among many other development tools for porting whatever Android & iOS apps to Windows 10.
Microsoft is all about "productivity platforms & solutions" as opposed to Google & Apple. It's a work in progress, and "the best is yet to come."
And if you don't know...MS has made more codes of app development to run on windows and made an easier way for developers to port their apps, besides...now Windows 10's store and windows 10 mobile's store is now ONE store, so if a developer made an app for windows on PC it will run on mobile as well with only very little UI changes! So get ready for windows' store to be filled with apps after windows 10 mobile's launch.
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Youngpo413: 4:53pm On Aug 06, 2015
Nice one
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 06, 2015
Hey here is my number 07038685291 call me when u wake up from ur dream.windows is dead buried besides my gr8 grandmoda's grave buh i kept ur own share of d funeral rice(jollof).

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by frediech(m): 7:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
pls is windows 10 for mobile phones available n Nigeria now?
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Craven: 9:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
I am a heavy app user, and I do know what I look for in a phone. Windows Phone doesn't meet my needs when it comes to availability of apps.

I use Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, BBM amongst other apps, and I find problems with them.

Twitter - Twitter for Windows Phone lacks many things Twitter for Android and iOS has. You cannot upload videos or watch videos, you cannot quote a tweet with a link or get notified if you've been quoted with a link. You cannot run the group DM feature. It's become annoying. There hasn't been an update in months. It's like the developers of the apps have neglected it completely. You'd expect other third party apps to show themselves, but it's like they aren't ready to pay attention to Windows Phone. The ones that are are painful to use.

Instagram - This app has been in Beta mode for years. It's almost like those who put in up in the Store have forgotten they put something there. It lacks some features also; InstaMessage and video upload.

BBM - This app became available about nine months after it was made available to Android and iOS users. That's a very painful thing; watching your mates enjoy apps while you wait in frustration for the same app to be available for your OS. And when it finally became available, it lacked many features. While Android and iOS users got updates and new features such as stickers, BBM channel, BBM voice and video call, Windows Phone users were still chatting and sending smileys, because that was the only thing they could do. BBM channel for Windows Phone became available months after it was available to Android and iOS users, and even then, it wasn't smooth to use; it was buggy and bumpy. Till today, BBM for Windows Phone still lacks BBM voice and video calls. That's just said.

Whatsapp - Whatsapp for Android and iOS have both gotten new user interfaces. The Windows Phone's version has maintained the same old boring look. Whatsapp for Android and iOS got the call feature months ago. Whatsapp for Windows Phone only got the call feature last month. That's annoying.

Some of the other apps on the store have been neglected and haven't been updated in months. It's like developers have no faith in Windows Phone.

There are a bunch of other apps and games that are essential and are available to other users, but aren't available to Windows Phone users. Even when they ever become available, they come months or years after they were first introduced on other operating systems. In other words, you cannot take full advantage of your Windows Phone.

I should also add, there are apps created by Microsoft that aren't even available to Windows Phone users. This is not an issue to be taken lightly. It's frustrating if you are a serious app user, like I am. It's not something to be overlooked. You say there are half a million apps on Windows Phone, well a huge percentage of them are useless.

Anyone who isn't a heavy app user will not have a problem with Windows Phone. I can tell you fall into that category.

The app issue is something the upcoming Windows 10 Mobile update promises to fix by running reworked Android and iOS apps. I hope they are able to, really. But right now, the lack of apps on Windows Phone and the poor maintenance of the ones available are few of Windows Phone's problems. You might not agree, but that's just you. You can't use your own app needs to define what other people should want in a phone.

3 Likes

Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Craven: 9:16pm On Aug 06, 2015
frediech:

No. Not until November, I think.
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by michael065(m): 9:20pm On Aug 06, 2015
Pls anyone dat has a tecno D1 or Q1 for sale pls. In good condition ooooo. 08099537904
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by kuss: 8:34am On Aug 08, 2015
frediech:
not yet
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Elxandre(m): 10:09am On Aug 08, 2015
The app issue on windowsphone is sickening really!

Let me give a few tips.

Use 6tag for instagram.
Xodo docs for PDF documents (easily one of the best on any platform)
Tubecast for YouTube

If the app issue could be solved, this platform will gain lot of traction in a short while.

1 Like

Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Craven: 2:45pm On Aug 08, 2015
Elxandre:
The app issue on windowsphone is sickening really!

Let me give a few tips.

Use 6tag for instagram.
Xodo docs for PDF documents (easily one of the best on any platform)
Tubecast for YouTube

If the app issue could be solved, this platform will gain lot of traction in a short while.

6tag is a really good app. But you have to buy 6tag to be able to use the video feature. Other third party apps are also like this; you have to buy some of them to be able to really enjoy them. It's painful sometimes.

Another issue I find troubling is the fact that there are no Launchers to give your phone a customized and different feel the way you can on other platforms. You're stuck with the same flipping tiles, the same fonts, and the same keyboard. It makes Windows Phone have this strict and uptight feel to it. It's really not a playful OS.

I hope Microsoft are able to fix these issues by creating solutions that appeal to users more. Microsoft made this deal with Nokia that prevents Nokia from making other smartphones. This deal with Nokia ends in early 2016. I really do hope Nokia would hop on the Android train. Nokia makes such remarkable and durable phones, they'd really do well with Android running on their products.

They tried to do so with the Nokia X, X2, and XL, but that failed as people didn't really like the Microsoft-tweaked version of Android put on those phones. The version of Android put on the X series stripped out all Google services and replaced them with Microsoft and Nokia service. I didn't like that. I felt it was ugly and bumpy.

I really do feel an unadulterated version of Android on a Nokia hardware would give other smartphone giants some tough competition. I can only hope Nokia follows that route.
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Elxandre(m): 3:49pm On Aug 08, 2015
Craven:

6tag is a really good app. But you have to buy 6tag to be able to use the video feature. Other third party apps are also like this; you have to buy some of them to be able to really enjoy them. It's painful sometimes.

Another issue I find troubling is the fact that there are no Launchers to give your phone a customized and different feel the way you can on other platforms. You're stuck with the same flipping tiles, the same fonts, and the same keyboard. It makes Windows Phone have this strict and uptight feel to it. It's really not a playful OS.

I hope Microsoft are able to fix these issues by creating solutions that appeal to users more. Microsoft made this deal with Nokia that prevents Nokia from making other smartphones. This deal with Nokia ends in early 2016. I really do hope Nokia would hop on the Android train. Nokia makes such remarkable and durable phones, they'd really do well with Android running on their products.

They tried to do so with the Nokia X, X2, and XL, but that failed as people didn't really like the Microsoft-tweaked version of Android put on those phones. The version of Android put on the X series stripped out all Google services and replaced them with Microsoft and Nokia service. I didn't like that. I felt it was ugly and bumpy.

I really do feel an unadulterated version of Android on a Nokia hardware would give other smartphone giants some tough competition. I can only hope Nokia follows that route.
Iphones are strict as well.
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Craven: 4:08pm On Aug 08, 2015
Elxandre:

Iphones are strict as well.

Yes, but the themes are vibrant. You hardly notice.
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by akashi01(m): 5:48pm On Aug 08, 2015
Craven:

correct guy,i like the way you dropped facts on his head

Windows is a fugly piece of crap angry undecided
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Youngpo413: 6:31pm On Aug 08, 2015
Craven:

you are a WISE man,a GREAT one as well.
Re: Windows Phone Is The Future by Collinz2(m): 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2015
In ur dreams

(1) (Reply)

Huawei P8 A New Dimension In Smartphone / Over Heating On Gionee Android 5.1 / Glo Jollific8: I Am Back On Glo For Good!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.