Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,744 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food (1975 Views)

Nigerian Changes Chewing Gum's Expiry Date / Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food / Differences Between Full Cream Milk And Skimmed Milk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2015
Many people don’t know that expiry date and best before date are not the same. In fact, many people use them interchangeably thinking that they mean the same thing. Well, let me use this medium to inform you that expiry date and best before date are two different terminologies meaning different things and serving different purposes.

In this article, I will explain what each date marking found on food packages means and also introduce to you, the concepts of “use by” date and “durable life date”. I will however lay more emphasis on the expiry date and best before dates because they are the most commonly used on food packages.

Definition of Terms (Date Markings on Food Packs)

Expiry Date: It is added to a food package to tell consumers the last day a product is safe to consume. You should never consume food after the expiry date.

Best Before Date: This is the date the manufacturer deems the product reaches peak freshness. The date does not indicate spoilage, nor does it necessarily tells you that the food is no longer safe for consumption.

Sell by: This is specifically added for sellers of the products. Most sell-by dates are found on perishables like meat, seafood and milk. The date is a guide for stores to know how long they can display a particular product. After this date, they MUST not sell it.

So, what are the important differences betweenEXPIRY DATE and BEST BEFORE DATE? Each difference is explained in four pages – navigate through the pages by clicking on pages 2 to 5 below. By the time you are done reading this, you would find out that it is not every food that expires and not every food you should throw away after some dates.

Source: http://www.foodsng.com/3-differences-between-expiry-best-before-date-of-food/

cc: lalasticlala

Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by peeparty(m): 3:32pm On Aug 06, 2015
nice @ op

1 Like

Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 3:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
peeparty:
nice @ op
Thanks bro
Oyind17
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by agarawu23(m): 6:35pm On Aug 06, 2015
nice one

1 Like

Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 06, 2015
orijin normally has "best before" abi??
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 7:02pm On Aug 06, 2015
shockwave91:
orijin normally has "best before" abi??

Go try buy am and confirm it for yourself, me no dey drink am o...
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 06, 2015
HerexG:

Go try buy am and confirm it for yourself, me no dey drink am o...
u dey miss o!
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 7:50pm On Aug 06, 2015
shockwave91:
u dey miss o!
The thing no good for my body abeg
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 06, 2015
HerexG:

The thing no good for my body abeg
LOL. So na shine shine bobo be ur brand?
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 10:49pm On Aug 06, 2015
shockwave91:

LOL. So na shine shine bobo be ur brand?
I don turn teetotaler o my brother..
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 07, 2015
HerexG:

I don turn teetotaler o my brother..
lolxxx. Wetin happen?
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 8:39pm On Aug 07, 2015
shockwave91:

lolxxx. Wetin happen?
My brother I now eat healthy now, I'm slowing down a bit, man dey get older na
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 9:24pm On Aug 07, 2015
HerexG:

My brother I now eat healthy now, I'm slowing down a bit, man dey get older na

haha!i dey tell u. U need am abeg. Recently my mumsi has turned me into a ruminant animal. Na just grass i dey chop. Things like carrot, lettuce, cabbage, green, cucumber, and all oda farm food u can think of. I do take d ocasional alcohol tho grin

1 Like

Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 1:45am On Aug 08, 2015
shockwave91:

haha!i dey tell u. U need am abeg. Recently my mumsi has turned me into a ruminant animal. Na just grass i dey chop. Things like carrot, lettuce, cabbage, green, cucumber, and all oda farm food u can think of. I do take d ocasional alcohol tho grin

So so true my brother, you live fast and die young . Abeg eat those verge well well o, mama loves you well o, no mind those girls wey go dey drag us go fast food up and down
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 1:53am On Aug 08, 2015
HerexG:

So so true my brother, you live fast and die young . Abeg eat those verge well well o, mama loves you well o, no mind those girls wey go dey drag us go fast food up and down

LOL! I no fit remember the last time i buy all dose fast food snacks sef. I haven't taken a girl out on a date 4 a loooong while now but when next i do I SWEAR she go turn HERBIVORE. The kind grass wey she go chop ehn, if i call am after d date she no go pick my call.
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 1:58am On Aug 08, 2015
shockwave91:

LOL! I no fit remember the last time i buy all dose fast food snacks sef. I haven't taken a girl out on a date 4 a loooong while now but when next i do I SWEAR she go turn HERBIVORE. The kind grass wey she go chop ehn, if i call am after d date she no go pick my call.

Oh boy na him be say the girl no badt be that, sometimes we need to behave like Romans when we are in Rome. We go follow their way first nd later bend them to follow follow our way . Not talking about those small chewing gum girls o
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 2:07am On Aug 08, 2015
HerexG:

Oh boy na him be say the girl no badt be that, sometimes we need to behave like Romans when we are in Rome. We go follow their way first nd later bend them to follow follow our way . Not talking about those small chewing gum girls o

e go hard to convert all dose sharwarma babes o! Dose babes r possessed! I no sure say dem even know the benefits of breast feeding their babies.
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 2:15am On Aug 08, 2015
shockwave91:

e go hard to convert all dose sharwarma babes o! Dose babes r possessed! I no sure say dem even know the benefits of breast feeding their babies.

Dem dey vex me like craze, so obsessed with material things . Where are the ladies like our moms
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 2:21am On Aug 08, 2015
HerexG:

Dem dey vex me like craze, so obsessed with material things . Where are the ladies like our moms

hahahahaha. Calm down. Dem dey around. Thing b say, we r losing dem on a daily basis to the false "religion of sharwarma". So it's up to people like u and i to carry out "the great commission" and spread the "gospel of eating right" to these possessed ladies. Any ideas?? grin
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 2:28am On Aug 08, 2015
shockwave91:

hahahahaha. Calm down. Dem dey around. Thing b say, we r losing dem on a daily basis to the false "religion of sharwarma". So it's up to people like u and i to carry out "the great commission" and spread the "gospel of eating right" to these possessed ladies. Any ideas?? grin

For now na one on one ministry we go dey do, try making them understand say you are absolutely what you eat. You let go of those extra baggages when you eat right, right now I dey weigh only 60kg because I no dey use eyes see fat for my body o.
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 2:36am On Aug 08, 2015
HerexG:

For now na one on one ministry we go dey do, try making them understand say you are absolutely what you eat. You let go of those extra baggages when you eat right, right now I dey weigh only 60kg because I no dey use eyes see fat for my body o.

60kg?? Damn!
To be honest i don't know what i weigh. I've never been fat & will never be fat. But i'm not skinny either. You are absolutely what u eat and sometimes i wish i had started practising this sh*t when i was younger. Things would have been different...
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by HerexG(m): 2:41am On Aug 08, 2015
shockwave91:

60kg?? Damn!
To be honest i don't know what i weigh. I've never been fat & will never be fat. But i'm not skinny either. You are absolutely what u eat and sometimes i wish i had started practising this sh*t when i was younger. Things would have been different...

Yesso you should try check ur weight o, besides eating right I dey use some weekends workout too. My body is the only house I get to live in o, so I dey clean the unwanted cabbages inside there wella
Re: 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 08, 2015
HerexG:

Yesso you should try check ur weight o, besides eating right I dey use some weekends workout too. My body is the only house I get to live in o, so I dey clean the unwanted cabbages inside there wella

workout?? I bin dey carry cement b4 but turns out sh*t is more destructive than helpful to ur body. Had to quit

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Your Own Baby Food. / My First Dog Meat Peppersoup Experience. / Igbo Vs Yoruba Jollof Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.