Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,809 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House (24086 Views)

Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City In The World For Drivers By Forbes (see List) / Lagos To Introduce New Number Plates, Uniforms For Drivers, Conductors / FRSC Gives Reasons For Drivers License Issuance Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 8:43pm On Aug 06, 2015
I have been wondering for a long time why certain things happen on our roads. I have long wanted to create this thread out of my experience and observations of what happen on our roads but somehow, I have not been able till today. My questions are

1. How do you really feel when you deliberately drive against traffic knowing very well that you will obstruct traffic flow on the opposite lane?

Have you tried to check the amount of time you gained by breaking traffic laws?

2. Do you really feel stupid or happy when a lot of motorists are kept at a standstill because of your selfish decision? Do you know that apart from gridlocks resulting from bad spots on the road or police's N50 tolls, most gridlocks result from selfish decisions of people like you who are well dressed and are on long ties.

3. Do you know that when you patiently queue in your right lane that the gridlock clears faster than when you try to cut corners? It is possible that you may escape if you are the first to start the madness but those who follow after you will end up closing up the road. You could be among those trapped on a different day.

4. Are you one of those who drive against traffic in a 4 lane road even when your side of the road is devoid of traffic or roadblocking pothole just because you won't bother to drive up to to a U-turn before you turn to get to where you can branch off the road? You end up flashing your headlamp at on-coming vehicles who are not expecting any intruders in your mould? The funny thing is that most times, the time it will take you to do the right thing would be just less than 2 minutes.

Do we just enjoy breaking laws or we prefer to be chased around? Do not come here to tell me that police do the same. Yes they do the same because they are selected from among us. Do you have to do it because others are doing it? What right do you have to criticize the government when you cannot do little required of you?

Always remember that when we do things right on the road, we save more time than when we do the wrong thing. Always remember that the happiness and 'less stress' you feel in developed countries is because majority of the citizens choose to do the right thing.

When we break traffic laws, we impose stress on ourselves and other road users who will have to adjust to accommodate your careless and selfish conduct.

Oya bring it on

Moderators, I will actually like to hear what many Nigerians think when they drive on our roads

74 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2015
Drivers*

Not for us, Car owners *prospective* grin

Ah! FTC, That's really good! So it's this easy sef?

INTROVERT come lemme give you small space to sit

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by jamex93(m): 8:48pm On Aug 06, 2015
All of una wey get car oya make una come ansa dis simple question

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by lekankolade(m): 8:53pm On Aug 06, 2015
all these are caused by impatient......at times when I see a driver overtook me while am still on queue due to traffic but trying to maintain a single lane and unfortunately the car happen to be the one that blocked the only free lane.... I do wish I can bash that car hardly without my own car been affected

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 06, 2015
Humans aren't fools. They study their environment and act accordingly. They simply apply their conclusions from their studies and observations.

Nigeria is weak when it comes to consistent enforcement of laws and allowable standards.

If a person is sure he's gonna get way with routine traffic violations, they will seek to continue it.

I've driven against traffic on two occasions and I felt so awkward and extremely selfish. I've stopped that primitive and selfish ever since.

If we must sanitise this madness, then the government must come out really hard and firm about it. People only obey enforced laws.

Committing a crime is just too easy and cheap in Nigeria!

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 10:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
dearpreye:
Humans aren't fools. They study their environment and act accordingly. They simply apply their conclusions from their studies and observations.

Nigeria us weak when it comes to consistent enforcement of laws and allowable standards.

If a person is sure he's gonna get way with routine traffic violations, they will seek to continue it.

I've driven against traffic on two occasions and I felt so awkward and extremely selfish. I've stopped that primitive and selfish ever since.

If we must sanitise this madness, then the government must come put really hard and firm about it. People only obey enforced laws.
Yes. you are right. The govt has to be resolute but the problem is, the govt is made up of people from among us.

8 Likes

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 10:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
lekankolade:
all these are caused by impatient......at times when I see a driver overtook me while am still on queue due to traffic but trying to maintain a single lane and unfortunately the car happen to be the one that blocked the only free lane.... I do wish I can bash that car hardly without my own car been affected
Impatience it is and you are very right but then impatience is a virtue no man should be proud of.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 06, 2015
agabaI23:
Yes. you are right. The govt has to be resolute but the problem is, the govt is made up of people from among us.

That's the problem. We are just incapable of separating politics with governance. I hardly come back home without being angry over the primitive pattern of driving on PH roads plus those rickety and old vehicles running around. The society is crazy but it's not impossible to fix. We have experts in these fields but the system has NO space for such.

It won't take me more than a year to effectively manage PH traffic situation. It won't.

6 Likes

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 06, 2015
agabaI23:
Impatience it is and you are very right but then impatience is a virtue no man should be proud of.

Impatience is occasioned by uncertainty on the road. If we all know everyone will behave on their ends and that traffic will flow naturally, our impatience will reduce.

We learned all these crazy habits over the years. We can unlearn them. And we can replace them with better habits.

2 Likes

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 10:49pm On Aug 06, 2015
dearpreye:

Impatience is occasioned by uncertainty on the road. If we all know everyone will behave on their ends and that traffic will flow naturally, our impatience will reduce.

We learned all these crazy habits over the years. We can unlearn them. And we can replace them with better habits.
Every little helps. I hope one person will through this medium rethink. Everybody on the road is the other person for another person.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2015
dearpreye:

That's the problem. We are just incapable of separating politics with governance. I hardly come back home without being angry over the primitive pattern of driving on PH roads plus those rickety and old vehicles running around. The society is crazy but it's not impossible to fix. We have experts in these fields but the system has NO space for such.

It won't take me more than a year to effectively manage PH traffic situation. It won't.
I'm sure it will happen.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 06, 2015
agabaI23:
Every little helps. I hope one person will through this medium rethink. Everybody on the road is the other person for another person.

We just need serious enlightenment, education, enactment and enforcement.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 11:07pm On Aug 06, 2015
dearpreye:

We just need serious enlightenment, education, enactment and enforcement.
You are on the money....
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
agabaI23:
You are on the money....

We need to make our society more humane; so far it's very close to what a huge pile of disorder and confusion. And it depresses me.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by damiloladuke: 10:06am On Aug 07, 2015
very thoughtful... thanks

meanwhile if you wanna laugh tire today
CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY FUNNY SECRET DIARY
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by MadCow1: 10:09am On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:
I have been wondering for a long time why certain things happen on our roads. I have long wanted to create this thread out of my experience and observations of what happen on our roads but somehow, I have not been able till today. My questions are

1. How do you really feel when you deliberately drive against traffic knowing very well that you will obstruct traffic flow on the opposite lane?

Have you tried to check the amount of time you gained by breaking traffic laws?

I don't feel a darn thing..

The Governor does it with the help of Mopols. Bullion Vans do it.. Anybody with a mopol does it..So if the Governor can break traffic laws with reckless abandon, why should I obey the law?

Better Drex make I pass before I scratch you Keke napep.

angry

agabaI23:
2. Do you really feel stupid or happy when a lot of motorists are kept at a standstill because of your selfish decision? Do you know that apart from gridlocks resulting from bad spots on the road or police's N50 tolls, most gridlocks result from selfish decisions of people like you who are well dressed and are on long ties.

See me see problem o.. If you people were moving, I will not drive one way..

It's not my decision that blocked the road, it's the bad road and the even badder drivers that the FRSC gave licenses to without properly verifying that they understood the rules of the road.

The biggest traffic offenders are:

THE GOVERNORS convoy and all his cabinet including his wife and children.

The Law enforcement agents from Police to Army to NSCDC to any body that can afford to put sirens on their vehicles.

Bank Bullion Vans

Any private citizen rich enough to buy a police officer.

Taxi drivers and Keke Napep

And finally the rest of us.

So OP, take your matter to to governor and police before talking about my driving.

agabaI23:
3. Do you know that when you patiently queue in your right lane that the gridlock clears faster than when you try to cut corners? It is possible that you may escape if you are the first to start the madness but those who follow after you will end up closing up the road. You could be among those trapped on a different day.

Tell that to the Governor and his crew driving on the other lane against traffic..

Tell that to the Police that is also doing the same thing and breaking the law. Infact, it normally starts with one police car and them the rest of us queue up behind them.

agabaI23:
4. Are you one of those who drive against traffic in a 4 lane road even when your side of the road is devoid of traffic or roadblocking pothole just because you won't bother to drive up to to a U-turn before you turn to get to where you can branch off the road? You end up flashing your headlamp at on-coming vehicles who are not expecting any intruders in your mould? The funny thing is that most times, the time it will take you to do the right thing would be just less than 2 minutes.

YOLO Biitches.. I make it home 2 minutes earlier than your biitchesass.. grin

agabaI23:
do we just enjoy breaking laws or we prefer to be chased around? Do not come here to tell me that police do the same. Yes they do the same because they are selected from among us. Do you have to do it because others are doing it? What right do you have to criticize the government when you cannot do little required of you?

Always remember that when we do things right on the road, we save more time than when we do the wrong thing. Always remember that the happiness and 'less stress' you feel in developed countries is because majority of the citizens choose to do the right thing.

When we break traffic laws, we impose stress on ourselves and other road users who will have to adjust to accommodate your careless and selfish conduct.

Oya bring it on

lalasticlala, ishilove, I will actually like to hear what many Nigerians think when they drive on our roads

Suck my big fat Cow Balls..

The entire society is bleeped.. Driving issues starts from the FRSC..

I got my license in 2 foreign countries and it was a much smoother process. I was tested both on the road and on paper, did eye tests before I got my paper.

Here in Nigeria.. I got my license at age 15 without stepping into any FRSC office. Even this new license sef, I was told to pay 5'k for Driving school certificate. The VIO test was being answered by the VIO people. The process was just made more tidies and not really any better. Untrained drivers still liter our streets.

If you say we shouldn't talk about LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS being the number 1 law breakers, then you shouldn't complain about us living by the example of those who should be our leaders.

I honestly don't drive like a mad fellow all the time, but sometimes I do because I feel like a fool obeying the rules whilst watching the law breakers go past whilst I sit there looking like a fool.

The entire system is bleeped..

Take your complaints to the authorities. This new license was a chance to sanitise the system and it has failed. Maybe they should privatise the licensing procedure.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by NotNairalandi(m): 10:09am On Aug 07, 2015
I drive my car on the sea not road,so this questions aren't for me!
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by femi4: 10:10am On Aug 07, 2015
At times I saved more than an hour by driving against the traffic. Infact, I saved fuel. In lag, you are condemned to drive against traffic once in a while
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Aitee1: 10:10am On Aug 07, 2015
grin
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by megawax8: 10:11am On Aug 07, 2015
lekankolade:
gbagaun

1 Like

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Adesiji77: 10:11am On Aug 07, 2015
Following...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Efficient Is This Fuel Economy Product, Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT)? / Why Girls Like Cars So Much? / List Of Countries Who Are Switching From Fossil Fuel Cars To Electric Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.