Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,986 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House (24071 Views)

Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City In The World For Drivers By Forbes (see List) / Lagos To Introduce New Number Plates, Uniforms For Drivers, Conductors / FRSC Gives Reasons For Drivers License Issuance Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by femi4: 11:19am On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:
Were there times you wasted more than 2 hours because you drove against traffic?
not at all. When driving against traffic, the journey is always short like 100meters
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Ojila: 11:19am On Aug 07, 2015
you see, many don't look at things from this angle. if only we can look at things this way not only on driving but on all aspect of life, there will be sanity around us. from politicians,government officials,farmers, market women, businessmen, carpenters teachers etc.... if we realize that our actions and inaction depends largely on others, or others depends largely on our actions, we will acts right and the society will be better for it.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by kaymighty: 11:20am On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:
I have been wondering for a long time why certain things happen on our roads. I have long wanted to create this thread out of my experience and observations of what happen on our roads but somehow, I have not been able till today. My questions are

1. How do you really feel when you deliberately drive against traffic knowing very well that you will obstruct traffic flow on the opposite lane?

Have you tried to check the amount of time you gained by breaking traffic laws?

2. Do you really feel stupid or happy when a lot of motorists are kept at a standstill because of your selfish decision? Do you know that apart from gridlocks resulting from bad spots on the road or police's N50 tolls, most gridlocks result from selfish decisions of people like you who are well dressed and are on long ties.

3. Do you know that when you patiently queue in your right lane that the gridlock clears faster than when you try to cut corners? It is possible that you may escape if you are the first to start the madness but those who follow after you will end up closing up the road. You could be among those trapped on a different day.

4. Are you one of those who drive against traffic in a 4 lane road even when your side of the road is devoid of traffic or roadblocking pothole just because you won't bother to drive up to to a U-turn before you turn to get to where you can branch off the road? You end up flashing your headlamp at on-coming vehicles who are not expecting any intruders in your mould? The funny thing is that most times, the time it will take you to do the right thing would be just less than 2 minutes.

Do we just enjoy breaking laws or we prefer to be chased around? Do not come here to tell me that police do the same. Yes they do the same because they are selected from among us. Do you have to do it because others are doing it? What right do you have to criticize the government when you cannot do little required of you?

Always remember that when we do things right on the road, we save more time than when we do the wrong thing. Always remember that the happiness and 'less stress' you feel in developed countries is because majority of the citizens choose to do the right thing.

When we break traffic laws, we impose stress on ourselves and other road users who will have to adjust to accommodate your careless and selfish conduct.

Oya bring it on

Moderators, I will actually like to hear what many Nigerians think when they drive on our roads

You must have been really angered recently by someone's bad driving attitude. That's Naija for you. But honestly, soonest things will take shape. Let me also cull in here, when you see those that put on recommended glasses driving, be advised never to be behind or beside them. Its either they see too much or 'oversee' so to say that their way of driving will provoke different insinuations out of you. Be calm bro.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Mrtesso: 11:43am On Aug 07, 2015
kaymighty:

Let me also cull in here, when you see those that put on recommended glasses driving, be advised never to be behind or beside them. Its either they see too much or 'oversee' so to say that their way of driving will provoke different insinuations out of you. Be calm bro.

Lol...wat exactly are u positing; that people like me are the cause of the traffic misfortunes you face along Nigerian roads? Be warned!!! Its a result of mediocre driving skills and asinine driving habits as opined by the OP.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by hahn(m): 11:44am On Aug 07, 2015
dearpreye:

Shockingly, this impatience hardly leads to anywhere meaningful. I'm yet to understand from whence we got this bad habit.

Impatience often grows from a lack of purpose, vision or goal. As a nation, we are yet to define our purpose as a people. Instead of having the us-against-them mentality, we have chosen to adopt the me-against-you, ibo-against-yoruba, ijebu-against-egba, anambra-against-owerri, me-against-my-brother mentality instead.

Until we define our purpose and goals and chose a nationalistic approach to life, we will always be in a hurry to nowhere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by repogirl(f): 11:46am On Aug 07, 2015
Op should have said traffic questions for reckless and inconsiderate drivers cos me I dont drive like that, I like to be patient.

To reckless drivers out there, please drive as if your family is in the other vehicle.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by nonichuks: 11:47am On Aug 07, 2015
Don't blame them oh. Everybody is just frustrated in this nigeria. lol
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by nonichuks: 11:47am On Aug 07, 2015
Don't blame them oh. Everybody is just frustrated in this nigeria. lol
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by kaymighty: 11:54am On Aug 07, 2015
Mrtesso:

Lol...wat exactly are u positing; that people like me are the cause of the traffic misfortunes you face along Nigerian roads? Be warned!!! Its a result of mediocre driving skills and asinine driving habits as opined by the OP.

LOL
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by kaymighty: 11:56am On Aug 07, 2015
Mrtesso:

LOL grin grin grin
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by hokaamoy: 12:18pm On Aug 07, 2015
Nigerians are just angry drivers. We need happiness.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
hahn:

Impatience often grows from a lack of purpose, vision or goal. As a nation, we are yet to define our purpose as a people. Instead of having the us-against-them mentality, we have chosen to adopt the me-against-you, ibo-against-yoruba, ijebu-against-egba, anambra-against-owerri, me-against-my-brother mentality instead.

Until we define our purpose and goals and chose a nationalistic approach to life, we will always be in a hurry to nowhere

I think the system was designed to achieve exactly what you've described above. However, in our state level, we can still maintain some level of sanity.

I agree with the cause of impatience. I'm hardly in a hurry cos I usually plan my day in advance.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by hahn(m): 12:31pm On Aug 07, 2015
dearpreye:

I think the system was designed to achieve exactly what you've described above. However, in our state level, we can still maintain some level of sanity.

I agree with the cause of impatience. I'm hardly in a hurry cos I usually plan my day in advance.

Same here.

The system was actually designed that way by our colonial masters so as to ensure the black race is dependent on them. However, they are only exploiting our natural tendency towards tribalism and other sentiments. Unfortunately, our "leaders" and our people are unable to see beyond their own selfish interests and channel our resources towards the development of our race.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by gabicon: 1:07pm On Aug 07, 2015
A lot of people really don't care that's where the law should come in, the law is meant to make people care about others. Generally the I don't care attitude is our biggest problem in Africa, once me and my family are fine every other person can go to hell.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
gabicon:
A lot of people really don't care that's where the law should come in, the law is meant to make people care about others. Generally the I don't care attitude is our biggest problem in Africa, once me and my family are fine every other person can go to hell.

A very pathetic and terrible situation.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 1:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:
I have been wondering for a long time why certain things happen on our roads. I have long wanted to create this thread out of my experience and observations of what happen on our roads but somehow, I have not been able till today. My questions are

1. How do you really feel when you deliberately drive against traffic knowing very well that you will obstruct traffic flow on the opposite lane?

2. Do you really feel stupid or happy when a lot of motorists are kept at a standstill because of your selfish decision? Do you know that apart from gridlocks resulting from bad spots on the road or police's N50 tolls, most gridlocks result from selfish decisions of people like you who are well dressed and are on long ties.

3. Do you know that when you patiently queue in your right lane that the gridlock clears faster than when you try to cut corners? It is possible that you may escape if you are the first to start the madness but those who follow after you will end up closing up the road. You could be among those trapped on a different day.

4. Are you one of those who drive against traffic in a 4 lane road even when your side of the road is devoid of traffic or roadblocking pothole just because you won't bother to drive up to to a U-turn before you turn to get to where you can branch off the road? You end up flashing your headlamp at on-coming vehicles who are not expecting any intruders in your mould? The funny thing is that most times, the time it will take you to do the right thing would be just less than 2 minutes.

Do we just enjoy breaking laws or we prefer to be chased around? Do not come here to tell me that police do the same. Yes they do the same because they are selected from among us. Do you have to do it because others are doing it? What right do you have to criticize the government when you cannot do little required of you?

Always remember that when we do things right on the road, we save more time than when we do the wrong thing. Always remember that the happiness and 'less stress' you feel in developed countries is because majority of the citizens choose to do the right thing.

When we break traffic laws, we impose stress on ourselves and other road users who will have to adjust to accommodate your careless and selfish conduct.

Oya bring it on

Moderators, I will actually like to hear what many Nigerians think when they drive on our roads

Boss r u 4getin dat d Traffic light is d artificial intelligence while doz beating traffic r d Animals?
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by AXYZ: 1:57pm On Aug 07, 2015
best2com:
Drivers*

Not for us, Car owners *prospective* grin

Ah! FTC, That's really good! So it's this easy sef?

INTROVERT come lemme give you small space to sit

Car owners that drive are also DRIVERS bro except you don't drive at all.

1 Like

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by MabraO: 3:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:
Every little helps. I hope one person will through this medium rethink. Everybody on the road is the other person for another person.

I like this
Even with this some motorist deliberately drive restlessly just so u bash dem mistakenly.
Nd majority of us didn't go driving sch
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2015
dickt:

When sb wears a tie, is it the person you find on the tie or it is the tie you find on the person? How could you say sb is ON top of a tie that is actually on his neck?
That's how people like you say "Men on black" instead of Men in Black even though you knw there's an American movie titled Men in Black.Do Nigerians think Americans are less proficient in English than us?
It's so annoying when Nigerians turn English upside down.Really shameful.
2 those of you who'll be offended that I pointed out the error & wish 2 hit back, f**k you!
I would have felt happier if you said something about the post in addition to the correction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by johnwell(m): 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2015
The Law was made to govern the animalistic nature of human beings, but in a situation whereby the law enforcements agents are the one's breaking the law, who are the animals?
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 6:28pm On Aug 07, 2015
MabraO:

I like this
Even with this some motorist deliberately drive restlessly just so u bash dem mistakenly.
Nd majority of us didn't go driving sch
It takes a lot of restrain to get it right.

What do you even do when someone overtakes you only park in front of you without trafficating?
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2015
Kisses4rmDxtanx:

Boss r u 4getin dat d Traffic light is d artificial intelligence while doz beating traffic r d Animals?
We are all animals you know wink
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 6:36pm On Aug 07, 2015
kaymighty:

You must have been really angered recently by someone's bad driving attitude. That's Naija for you. But honestly, soonest things will take shape. Let me also cull in here, when you see those that put on recommended glasses driving, be advised never to be behind or beside them. Its either they see too much or 'oversee' so to say that their way of driving will provoke different insinuations out of you. Be calm bro.
It is daily thing. I live in a district populated by professors and PhD holders who enjoy driving against traffic for the fun of it. This is not even a busy 4 lane street. You start wondering what these guys teach.

I was rushing to church one day and I was driving behind a Rev fr who was supposed to preach in the church. I watched in dismay as he chose to drive against traffic instead of doing 3 seconds turn. The mass was almost ruined for me before I remembered he was a human before he became a priest.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 6:38pm On Aug 07, 2015
femi4:
not at all. When driving against traffic, the journey is always short like 100meters
OK good luck to you
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 6:51pm On Aug 07, 2015
MadCow1:

I don't feel a darn thing..

The Governor does it with the help of Mopols. Bullion Vans do it.. Anybody with a mopol does it..So if the Governor can break traffic laws with reckless abandon, why should I obey the law?

Better Drex make I pass before I scratch you Keke napep.

angry

See me see problem o.. If you people were moving, I will not drive one way..

It's not my decision that blocked the road, it's the bad road and the even badder drivers that the FRSC gave licenses to without properly verifying that they understood the rules of the road.

The biggest traffic offenders are:

THE GOVERNORS convoy and all his cabinet including his wife and children.

The Law enforcement agents from Police to Army to NSCDC to any body that can afford to put sirens on their vehicles.

Bank Bullion Vans

Any private citizen rich enough to buy a police officer.

Taxi drivers and Keke Napep

And finally the rest of us.

So OP, take your matter to to governor and police before talking about my driving.

Tell that to the Governor and his crew driving on the other lane against traffic..

Tell that to the Police that is also doing the same thing and breaking the law. Infact, it normally starts with one police car and them the rest of us queue up behind them.

YOLO Biitches.. I make it home 2 minutes earlier than your biitchesass.. grin

Suck my big fat Cow Balls..

The entire society is bleeped.. Driving issues starts from the FRSC..

I got my license in 2 foreign countries and it was a much smoother process. I was tested both on the road and on paper, did eye tests before I got my paper.

Here in Nigeria.. I got my license at age 15 without stepping into any FRSC office. Even this new license sef, I was told to pay 5'k for Driving school certificate. The VIO test was being answered by the VIO people. The process was just made more tidies and not really any better. Untrained drivers still liter our streets.

If you say we shouldn't talk about LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS being the number 1 law breakers, then you shouldn't complain about us living by the example of those who should be our leaders.

I honestly don't drive like a mad fellow all the time, but sometimes I do because I feel like a fool obeying the rules whilst watching the law breakers go past whilst I sit there looking like a fool.

The entire system is bleeped..

Take your complaints to the authorities. This new license was a chance to sanitise the system and it has failed. Maybe they should privatise the licensing procedure.
You finally developed your plot. Well done

A few words though

The Governors do it and so on. Because the governors were taken from among us. Someone who understands that he is causing more harm than good would not try that. It is about the right orientation.

I agree with you that there is something fundamentally wrong with the system. That thing is our state of mind. We believe that the country if fcked so we can keep fcking it up. This is a very erroneous principle which increases the stress level in the system and attendant consequences.

You love driving in your two countries because majority choose to do the right thing. The majority will not break traffic in the middle of the night where there is no camera and no corps to arrest them. If you can do the right thing there, you can here.
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 6:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
whizqueen:
I take Weed whenever I hit the road.
We really don't care undecided grin
Kai, madam. there is god oo
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by agabaI23(m): 7:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
dfrost:

smiley :DMy brother where are we rushing to? I almost got carried away by same notion but that day I wanted to know where the driver was rushing to. In less than a minute, he parked by the roadside joint and hailed his friends waiting for him to join them in relaxing after the day's work. I laughed over the folly, honestly. So please don't chase after them unless its a car race... wink
So annoying.

What about someone overtaking and parking instantly in front of you without warning. Why the rush?
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by lionphil(m): 9:00pm On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:

Oya bring it on

The thing dey sweet if na escort van I dey follow for back...James bond things oh. Fender to bumper no time.

The last time I did it, I was glad I did oh, the traffic was hell. To add to it, rain fell. sad
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:
We are all animals you know wink

Yes i knw, wen i say Animals i mean animal animal beating traffic nd not Human Animal obeying traffic!
Re: Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House by MadCow1: 10:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
agabaI23:
You finally developed your plot. Well done

A few words though

The Governors do it and so on. Because the governors were taken from among us. Someone who understands that he is causing more harm than good would not try that. It is about the right orientation.

I agree with you that there is something fundamentally wrong with the system. That thing is our state of mind. We believe that the country if fcked so we can keep fcking it up. This is a very erroneous principle which increases the stress level in the system and attendant consequences.

You love driving in your two countries because majority choose to do the right thing. The majority will not break traffic in the middle of the night where there is no camera and no corps to arrest them. If you can do the right thing there, you can here.

Hommes I am just as pissed off as you about the situation.

I will give you a story; When I returned to Nigeria in 2011, I came back saying I would be the most law abiding Nigerian on our roads.

I pulled up to a traffic stop on a three lane highway and thats when shiit got real. 3 cars had stopped on all three lanes, next thing I see out of the corner of my mirror is a bus driver squeezing in between me and the next vehicle. That's when all my western driving flew out the window.

Sorry I have to disagree with your take that; "the Governors were taken from amongst us".. No sir, The governors are public servants not masters. If the roads are blocked, the ideal thing would be for them to join the queue whilst their escorts go to clear up the road.

I just completed a drive from Port Harcourt to Calabar this evening and I spent 1 hour inside port harcourt trying to exit because untrained drivers wouldn't yield for other vehicles to pass. I believe you should channel your grievance to those who give permits to road users. From my reading to pass my written test abroad, I learnt a lot .

If our drivers actually went through the process of learning road signs and road rules, if the Law Enforcement fellows did their jobs as they should and not be the law breakers, if those in authority obeyed the road rules that they made, then the average citizen wouldn't dare run against traffic when the governor himself in queued up in traffic waiting his turn.

Abroad, when you hear a siren, you immediately know there is an emergency. In Nigeria, anybody can afford a siren and blows it indiscriminately.

Yes I shouldn't join the fuckery just because the entire system is fuucked. But know this, we will follow our leaders.

Fix the leaders and law enforcement agents and everyone will follow suits. Nobody should be above the law, Governors and all government agents inclusive.

Thanks..

P.S; Fosrgive my earlier language, I have a bad habit of swearing and cursing a lot. I meant no disrespect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 / Top 7 Most Powerful Suvs So Far / How Efficient Is This Fuel Economy Product, Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.