Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,533 members, 7,819,914 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 (4105 Views)

Can We Do This To Redeem Our Qualification To AFCON? / Samuel Eto’o Shares Photo With Wife / Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by pastorking(m): 9:58am On Mar 21, 2009
IT’S not always easy being the former Heavyweight Champion of the World. For most of them, the time spent at the top is short. They always want to come back. For others, they burn their wealth on the fast track of life and become paupers and move over to their rags story. For many others, they hang in too long and become vulnerable to weak punches of even weaker opponents.

Nigeria’s Samuel Okon Peter falls into the first category of pugilists who surrendered their prized belts too early without truly enjoying the fruits of their punches.

The memory of the punishment that Peter received in the hands of Vitali Klitschko is still very fresh in the minds of many boxing fans and Nigerians indeed whose joy of producing a world champion was short-lived. Interestingly, Peter’s two losses since he turned pro has been in the hands of two brothers - Vladimir and Vitali Klitschko.
Peter has yet another opportunity to reposition himself in the ranks to get a crack at the top from the number five position he slumped to after his disgraceful defeat. His opponent, Eddie Chambers, ranked 3rd, would collide with the Nigerian Nightmare in a monstrous heavyweight battle scheduled for 12 rounds on a special edition of “Friday Night Fights” at the Nokia Theatre Los Angeles on March 27.

Undoubtedly, this is the biggest and most anticipated heavyweight fight that does not have a world title attached to it, but the winner of this bout will once again be earning their right to fight for the prestigious World Heavyweight Championship. Chambers with his intimidating record of 33 wins, one loss and 18 KOs knows the power and gain that comes with a win against Peter. “I can’t wait for the big night”, said an ecstatic Chambers. The man known in boxing circles as “Fast Eddie” because of his tremendous hand speed, has been talking loud on how he would add to the punishment that Peter got from Klitschko.

“I will beat Sam Peter, and do it convincingly, to get in position for my well-deserved World title shot. Peter is a big man, and a powerful puncher with both hands, and I give him his respect. But come March 27, he’ll find out about my power and speed. This is a big fight for me and I promise an exciting fight for the fans. It’s my major heavyweight boxing. The 26-year-old Chambers was in the process of making a meteoric rise in the heavyweight division when he lost a decision in January 2008 against Alexander Povetkin in an IBF Heavyweight title elimination bout in Germany. A native of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, now fighting out of Philadelphia, he was 29-0 when he stopped up to garner a split-decision over top contender Calvin Brock to earn the shot against Povetkin. Now trained by the experienced and knowledgeable Rob Murray, Chambers has reeled off three straight wins: TKOs over Raphael Butler for the USBA title and Living Castillo and, most recently, a unanimous decision victory over the gargantuan 6-4, 268-Pound Cisse Salif two months ago in Cabazon, California.

But Samuel Peter would not allow the nightmarish experience he suffered in the hands of Klitschko weigh him down. His fight record is also frightening at 30-2, 23 KO s and he is a 6-1, 250 pound knockout machine who is no stranger to fighting in Los Angeles, having recorded the first of his two big wins over James “Lights Out” Toney at Staples Centre in September 2006 and has a decisive weight advantage over Chambers who weighed 221 pounds on his last bout.
“I have apologised to my people in Nigeria and I really want them to support me. I am on my way back and Chambers is the stepping stone to big things to come. I have learnt from my mistakes and you will see that on March 27. I am coming home to LA. I love the city of Angels”, exclaimed Peter.

Peter, 28, was 24-0 and holder of the NABF Heavyweight title before sustaining his first defeat as a pro in September, 2005 to current World Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko while knocking him down three times during the bout. The powerful Nigerian went on to post five more wins(including two over Toney) before getting his opportunity at a World Heavyweight title belt. In March 2008, Peter stopped Oleg Maskaev in the sixth round and claimed the WBC Heavyweight title. Seven months later, in his first title defence, Peter relinquished the crown to the other Klitschko brother - Vitali- when he could not answer the bell for the ninth round.

Elisha Attai of Studio 115 who came back from USA where Peter is sweating it out said that he was impressed with what he saw of the Akwa-Ibom-born pugilist. “He is in shape and has lost some pounds which is indicative of the seriousness of his training. He is not talking much and wants to make it up to Nigerians”, he said. Elisha promises to bring the fight live to Nigerian rooms as he is in talks with the Nigerian Television Authority.
Peter and Chambers would be looking for the opportunity to immediately get back into the World title picture on March 27 at Nokia Theatre, L.A. With grit-teethed determination and hardwork, Peter can still climb back to reckoning.

Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by pastorking(m): 10:08am On Mar 21, 2009
the pic

Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 9:28am On Mar 27, 2009
Who knows the Nigerian time for this fight pls
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by houstonia(m): 11:01am On Mar 27, 2009
jeeze dont tell me sammy is fighting again.people for the sake of brotherhood lets tell this akwa-ibomite to get a better job.

Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by houstonia(m): 11:13am On Mar 27, 2009
eddie chambers would definately want to prove he is competent for the heavyweight title.

Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by tayoccu(m): 1:19pm On Mar 27, 2009
I pray the guy wins, so people will start to forget about the nigerian nightmare's "nightmare".
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 27, 2009
He better not make an ass of himself tonite.
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by bawomolo(m): 12:22am On Mar 28, 2009
the match is 3PM Nigerian time. 10ET. the nigerian nightmare is all brute and no technique
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 1:45am On Mar 28, 2009
Pls let us give him that benefit of doubt and support him. He really needs our support to win this fight. Sammy, go ahead; The Lord is your strength.
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 2:04am On Mar 28, 2009
3pm or 3am ?
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 3:48am On Mar 28, 2009
Fight about to start.
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 3:50am On Mar 28, 2009
"Expect ACTION" Those are the exact words of Peter
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 3:55am On Mar 28, 2009
where are you watching it?
is it available online?

I wonder why we dont have boxing championship in nigeria

i'd like to see David Hayes Vs Sam Peters in Calabar cool

please remove those old pics
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:00am On Mar 28, 2009
Dis Guy:

where are you watching it?
is it available online?

I wonder why we dont have boxing championship in nigeria

i'd like to see David Hayes Vs Sam Peters in Calabar cool

please remove those old pics

I'm watching on NTA, That is if u are in Nigeria
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:04am On Mar 28, 2009
This refree na wao, o
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 4:06am On Mar 28, 2009
really? i found a site online, im watchin nta too but they are showing the news now

http://www.webjam.com/atlfightsports/boxing_videos
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:09am On Mar 28, 2009
Fight starts
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 4:11am On Mar 28, 2009
he won round one

peter need to loose some more weight, gain some muscles to look fit with harder punches
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:14am On Mar 28, 2009
round 2 over, Who do you think led in points
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 4:16am On Mar 28, 2009
hmm not too sure its kind of even, but peter is taking the fight to him
he needs to box him into a corner since he cant find a target
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:21am On Mar 28, 2009
round 4 off
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 4:30am On Mar 28, 2009
its sslowing down now! very close chambers is not coming forward anymore
peters cant find his target, but the sucker punch is coming!
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by sherrify: 4:32am On Mar 28, 2009
samuel is being dealt with right now wat do u think fellow viewers
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:38am On Mar 28, 2009
what round now, and who is leading, i'm lost
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by sherrify: 4:42am On Mar 28, 2009
last round,looks like samuel is loosing this one again
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:44am On Mar 28, 2009
ohhhhhhhhh god
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by sherrify: 4:46am On Mar 28, 2009
over waiting for the judges dcision
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by kfasian: 4:46am On Mar 28, 2009
who won
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 4:46am On Mar 28, 2009
Ko or or nothing!
he needs a combination
chamber is not even phased about his big punches

dnt leave it to the judges o
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 4:47am On Mar 28, 2009
draw or lost

for a big guy he should win convincingly if not . . .
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by sherrify: 4:48am On Mar 28, 2009
peters lost this one ooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Samuel Peters Set To Redeem Image With Fast Eddie, March 27 by DisGuy: 4:50am On Mar 28, 2009
peter should go and be fighting in nigeria or start his own gym
start boxing promotion in nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Tips Bbm Channel. Winning Everyday. / First Nigerian To Play For Man United Is Moses, Not Ighalo / Should Vuvuzela’s Be Banned From The 2010 World Cup Finals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.