Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,004 members, 7,863,627 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:45 PM

President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production (820 Views)

Buhari Initiates Moves For Domestic Weapons Production / President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production / President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by zyzx(m): 2:51pm On Aug 07, 2015
President Buhari has initiated moves for the
production of weapons in Nigeria. According to a
statement signed and released by Senior Special
Adviser to the president on media and publicity
Garba Shehu today August 7th, President Buhari
charged the Federal Ministry of Defence to produce a plan for the establishment of a modest Military
Industrial Complex for the local production of
weapons to meet some of the requirements of the
country's armed forces.

President Muhammadu Buhari Friday in Abuja
directed the Federal Ministry of Defence to
produce a plan for the establishment of a
modest Military Industrial Complex for the local
production of weapons to meet some of the
requirements of the country's armed forces.
Speaking at the graduation ceremony of the
National Defence College, President Buhari
described as unacceptable, Nigeria's current
over-dependence on other countries for critical
military equipment and logistics. "We must
evolve viable mechanisms for near-self-
sufficiency in military equipment and logistics
production complemented only by very advanced
foreign technologies. "The Ministry of Defence is
being tasked to draw up clear and measurable
outlines for development of a modest Military
Industrial Complex for Nigeria. "In this regard, it
is to liaise with other strategic MDAs and
industries to re-engineer the Defence Industries
Corporation of Nigeria (DICON) to meet national
military hardware and logistics requirements,"
the President said. President Buhari told the
gathering that his administration had, since its
assumption of office, reviewed the nature and
character of Nigeria's security threats and
challenges. "We recognized first and foremost,
the external dimensions of these threats and the
need for international cooperation and common
security mechanisms to tackle them," the
President said.

President Buhari added that in the light of this
realization, his Administration was "convinced
that the best approach was to work within the
framework of the Lake Chad Basin Commission
(LCBC) to mobilize a collective regional effort in
the fight against terrorism and insurgency.
The President urged the graduates and officers
and men of the Armed Forces to work harder to
win the war against Boko Haram, terrorism and
insurgency.

"We must apply a comprehensive strategy and
coordinate all elements of national power
against terrorism and insurgency; we must show
result oriented leadership at all levels of military
Command; we must set up an optimal
organization to manage and sustain operational
performance; and we must show confidence and
winning mentality," President Buhari told them.

The President assured that the Federal
Government under his leadership will strive to
meet the operational, logistic, training and
welfare requirements of the Armed Forces of
Nigeria.

He also reaffirmed his commitment to
ameliorating the hardships of people living in
areas most affected by insurgency and terrorism.

"We have the will, resolve and conviction to apply
a comprehensive strategy and coordinate all
elements of national power against terrorism
and insurgency," the President reassured
Nigerians and the international community.
President Buhari said that the National Defence
College had fulfilled the vision of its founding
fathers, by becoming a strategic human capacity-
building institution, making credible
contributions to Nigeria and other friendly
countries.

The President urged graduates of the College's
Course 23 to resolve to make "a marked
difference in your future deployments and
contribute your quota to the evolution and
implementation of national security, defence and
military strategies."

"You should be the source that lights up the
environment wherever you find yourselves," he
told them.

Garba Shehu
SSA to the President
(Media and Publicity)
August 7, 2015
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by 1love4all: 2:52pm On Aug 07, 2015
Source
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
Now we're talking
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by bigiyaro(m): 2:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
adonbeliveit. In other news, ifahear say BH boys raided d factory.
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by makzeze: 2:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
source?
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by PassingShot(m): 3:00pm On Aug 07, 2015
Typing
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by psucc(m): 3:05pm On Aug 07, 2015
That's not new nor news. Our military had done that during GEJ's tenure.
How be it he wants to legalize the many factories Boko Haram has established
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by gabazin080(m): 3:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
That would be a very big mistake from the FG.
You will be surprised the weapons meant for the army is been smuggled out for boko haram use
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by Chiaka(f): 3:15pm On Aug 07, 2015
Aba Boys will be very useful here!

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by seankay(m): 3:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
In as much as this sounds like a good idea, am also worried about d adverse effect
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by EasternLion: 4:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
Who and who will design and mass produce the weapons?

Is it not more of Biafrans?

Abala-Ibeme boys craft any type of assault weapons, while zoo can't even produce cartoon used to pack bullets.
grin

1 Like

Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by shigoslim(m): 4:30pm On Aug 07, 2015
Not that Nigeria has not been producing arms and ammunition but the problem is zero input in our science and technology from various our university organization .
In Nigeria you will heard a professor in mechanical engineering and others but if you ask them to pick or design common tools, is then they start proving stupid theory.
My advice for Alaji Buhari to do something concerning our university of technology by equip our labs and laboratory , which each school is mandate to carry out research which they we come out with something. Any school that fail to meet the mandate should be closed than and sack all the port belle lecturer.
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by itiswell247: 4:39pm On Aug 07, 2015
gabazin080:
That would be a very big mistake from the FG.
You will be surprised the weapons meant for the army is been smuggled out for boko haram use

If I post now pips chanting change change will start quoting me and I hate to see someone quote my comments, but you just posted exactly my comment.
may this bad dream not become a reality.
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by Nimen(m): 4:44pm On Aug 07, 2015
Ehya sha... Guess where this ultra mordern hardware facility will be located? (10mks)
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by gabazin080(m): 5:24pm On Aug 07, 2015
itiswell247:

If I post now pips chanting change change will start quoting me and I hate to see someone quote my comments, but you just posted exactly my comment.
may this bad dream not become a reality.
amen jare. With this I think those saying buhari is behind boko haram may be right to say that
Re: President Buhari Initiates Move For Domestic Weapons Production by dubxy(m): 8:47pm On Aug 07, 2015
The south east would have been producing weapons by now if federal govt gave them the chance a long time ago
But it was revoked cos they were scared that it might bring another 1967-1970 incident.
Let them give it to those ABA boys or ONITSHA boys, i think they will have something to offer.

N.B during nigerian civil war the biafrans manufactured their own weapons and rocket they used during the war back then so whats stopping them from during it now

(1) (Reply)

Whats Up With APC Rally In Bayelsa State Today / Ohanaeze Appeals To Ndigbo For Calm Over Skewed Appointments / Semester Exams: Politiricks 501

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.