Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:21 AM

If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. (1321 Views)

How To Be A Genuine Christian, Please Read! Don't Go To Hell Fire / Being Pure In Heart Can Be Traced To These 5 Things. / 21 Things You Need To Stop Doing This New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by winner01(m): 9:02am On Aug 09, 2015
Here is some stuff Christians should stop doing.

1. Telling people “I’ll pray for you” without actually praying for them. Guilty as charged. I can’t think of anybody who hasn’t done this at one time or another. And while most of us don’t actually mean to forget, it’s probably best that we just set aside time on the spot to pray for people. Are we really so busy that we can’t stop and pray for someone’s needs? We need to make sure we are fulfilling our duties as Christians and actually follow through with them. One prayer could be the tipping point to someone coming to know the love of God. Don’t miss the opportunity to speak life into someone because you don’t think you have time.

2. Attending Church on Sunday, but ignoring God’s voice the rest of the week. Ouch! This one stings a little. Many of us get in the habit of making God just another addition to our weekly check-list, but the reality is that our entire lives should revolve around him. God deserves #1 priority in each of our lives, and to treat him any differently would go against the foundations of the Christian faith. Evaluate the way you are spending your time, money and energy. If you want to see a change in your life then you need to begin giving God the place of honor he deserves. Stop treating God like the last kid picked in doge-ball.

3. Praying for God’s provision when we have yet to use what he has already provided. Way too many of us tend to treat God like a personal genie. Prayer was given to us as an open line of communication between us and God, but the harsh reality is that way too many of try to use it like a drive-thru at a fast-food restaurant. You don’t get to pick and choose the way God provides, but you do get the opportunity to trust his plan and have faith in his promises. I can’t begin to explain how many times I’ve ignored God’s provision because it wasn’t wrapped the way I intended it to be. Every time we purposely ignore God’s provision, we are indirectly telling him, “I don’t trust your plan.”

4. Trying to be so relevant that we actually hurt the message of Jesus. There is nothing wrong with trying to be relevant, but we need to understand that there is a BOLD line between being trendy, and then completely disfiguring the message of Jesus. We can’t expect to bring any change to the world when we don’t look any different from it. I’m a firm believer that Jesus came to reclaim culture and not abolish it, but this doesn’t mean we need to water down His message so that it’s easier to swallow.

5. Telling people that “God will never give you anything you can’t handle.” Why should we stop saying this? Because it’s a lie. … We’ve completely twisted 1 Corinthians 10:13 , as this verse is pointing toward temptation, and even then it states God will be there if things get too tough. The reality is that God just might give us things we can’t handle so that we will gaze toward him for the extra help. Mind blowing right? Realize that not everything is going to go the way you plan, think or hope. Sometimes stuff is going to hit the fan, and in order for you to get through it, you are going to NEED to rely on God’s comfort, peace and understanding. We weren’t meant to do life alone.
Thanks for reading God bless you.

1 Like

Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by Fairgodwin(m): 9:06am On Aug 09, 2015
Ok, noted!
Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by hadura29(m): 9:10am On Aug 09, 2015
Sehr gut!!!!
Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by kossyablaze(m): 9:15am On Aug 09, 2015
Ok

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by menesheh(m): 9:17am On Aug 09, 2015
Really
Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 09, 2015
Number 5 though....

Still don't get ---- we all have different levels of tolerance and capacity.

Take job's case for instance, I don't a lot of Christian these days can go through what he did and still maintain faith

I think God knows just the capacity and limit of us all, and won't exceed it.

Maybe you should elaborate please
Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by winner01(m): 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2015
Thoniameek:
Number 5 though....

Still don't get ---- we all have different levels of tolerance and capacity.

Take job's case for instance, I don't a lot of Christian these days can go through what he did and still maintain faith

I think God knows just the capacity and limit of us all, and won't exceed it.

Maybe you should elaborate please
2 Corinthians 1:8,9-- "We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, FAR BEYOND OUR ABILITY TO ENDURE, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. BUT THIS HAPPENED THAT WE MIGHT NOT RELY ON OURSELVES BUT ON GOD, WHO RAISES THE DEAD."

Sometimes, during struggles we ask ourselves “If I am supposed to handle this, then why can’t I handle it?”
The truth is, God never said He wouldn’t give you more than you can handle. There will be times in life when you will feel like you are drowning and there is no one to help you.
The words that are meant for encouragement can often serve to only create discouragement. The phrase "God cant give us more than we can handle" can tempt us to ignore our suffering and pretend it’s not there. It can lead us to believe the lie that we can do it ourselves; that we can handle it. Which raises the question, “If we can handle anything that comes our way, then why do we need God at all?”

We need to realize that sometimes we can’t make it on our own.
So, where did the phrase about God not giving us too much come from? To answer that question, we need to go back 2,000 years to a small church in the city of Corinth. The Apostle Paul wrote them a few letters, and in his first letter, he reminded them that all people are tempted and often choose to do the wrong thing. Paul’s warning is tied to the reality of temptation and sin that meets us everyday. With his warning he also gave a promise. He wrote,
“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it” (1 Corinthians 10:13). This is the verse that is so often misquoted.

With regard to temptation and sin, Paul pointed out that we always have a choice: engage in sin or run from it. The promise is that God will always provide a way for us to run from it.
Let’s be clear: Paul was talking about temptation, not suffering.
With temptation, we have a choice, but with suffering we often don’t have a choice.

The night before Jesus was executed, He cried out in the garden, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death” (Matthew 26:38). Jesus told His Father, “This is too much for me!”
We see this kind of thing in the Psalms, too. The Psalmists ball their fists in rage, and shout at God, “Why have you forsaken me?” (Psalm 22) In their sadness they say, “darkness is my closest friend” (Psalm 88).
What these verses teach us is that it’s OK to feel like we can’t handle it, like we are going to give up. We can cry out, “My soul is overwhelmed to the point of death.” And when we do this, we find God, the one who, in the person of Jesus, suffers with us.

When we become aware that life will give us more than we can handle and come to grips with this, we find a promise: God is faithful to meet us in the mess and in the pain.
And when He does, we learn to recognize our constant need to depend on Him. This is why Peter instructs the Church to cast our fears, worries, suffering and pain on God. He reasons we can do this because God cares for us. When life deals us more than we can handle, we can rest in the reality that God can handle it.
Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 09, 2015
winner01:

2 Corinthians 1:8,9-- "We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, FAR BEYOND OUR ABILITY TO ENDURE, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. BUT THIS HAPPENED THAT WE MIGHT NOT RELY ON OURSELVES BUT ON GOD, WHO RAISES THE DEAD."

Hmmmmmm..... Now I get.

If we could handle it, we wouldn't rely on Him but if we couldn't...........

Sometimes, during struggles we ask ourselves “If I am supposed to handle this, then why can’t I handle it?”
The truth is, God never said He wouldn’t give you more than you can handle. There will be times in life when you will feel like you are drowning and there is no one to help you.
The words that are meant for encouragement can often serve to only create discouragement. The phrase "God cant give us more than we can handle" can tempt us to ignore our suffering and pretend it’s not there. It can lead us to believe the lie that we can do it ourselves; that we can handle it. Which raises the question, “If we can handle anything that comes our way, then why do we need God at all?”

We need to realize that sometimes we can’t make it on our own.
So, where did the phrase about God not giving us too much come from? To answer that question, we need to go back 2,000 years to a small church in the city of Corinth. The Apostle Paul wrote them a few letters, and in his first letter, he reminded them that all people are tempted and often choose to do the wrong thing. Paul’s warning is tied to the reality of temptation and sin that meets us everyday. With his warning he also gave a promise. He wrote,
“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it” (1 Corinthians 10:13). This is the verse that is so often misquoted.

With regard to temptation and sin, Paul pointed out that we always have a choice: engage in sin or run from it. The promise is that God will always provide a way for us to run from it.
Let’s be clear: Paul was talking about temptation, not suffering.
With temptation, we have a choice, but with suffering we often don’t have a choice.

The night before Jesus was executed, He cried out in the garden, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death” (Matthew 26:38). Jesus told His Father, “This is too much for me!”
We see this kind of thing in the Psalms, too. The Psalmists ball their fists in rage, and shout at God, “Why have you forsaken me?” (Psalm 22) In their sadness they say, “darkness is my closest friend” (Psalm 88).
What these verses teach us is that it’s OK to feel like we can’t handle it, like we are going to give up. We can cry out, “My soul is overwhelmed to the point of death.” And when we do this, we find God, the one who, in the person of Jesus, suffers with us.

When we become aware that life will give us more than we can handle and come to grips with this, we find a promise: God is faithful to meet us in the mess and in the pain.
And when He does, we learn to recognize our constant need to depend on Him. This is why Peter instructs the Church to cast our fears, worries, suffering and pain on God. He reasons we can do this because God cares for us. When life deals us more than we can handle, we can rest in the reality that God can handle it.

Re: If You Are A Christian, Please Stop Doing These 5 Things. by winner01(m): 1:26am On Oct 04, 2015
Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Woman Was Severely Caned For Being Seen Near Man Who Wasn't Her Husband / A Supernatural Being Seeking To Marry A Girl / I Had S*x In The Bush To Take Care Of My Kids - Born-again Mother Reveals (photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.