Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse (24047 Views)

Diana: Good Girl Gone Bad / For Better, For Worse / Introducing The Reading Service: First Of Her Kind In Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 10, 2015
Its the attitude of the youth these days
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by sukkot: 8:50am On Aug 10, 2015
yeah you can thank davido and whizzkid for that. and tonto decay

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Rapmoney(m): 8:50am On Aug 10, 2015
Sorry to say this but the present generation seems to be a wasted one! When you bring up an intelligent discussion among Nigerian youths, you will be hated! Most of our ladies can't discuss intelligently...they have been beclouded my material things!!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by sparkwil(m): 8:51am On Aug 10, 2015
Too many distractions. Students spend nearly half their day on d web while their books serve as sleeping pills

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 10, 2015
The reason is not farfetched,if you like read books from genesis to revelation you go still end up in labor market.Na person wey no go school at all go end up becoming the boss while you will be his pa.Buhari is an example.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by neocortex: 8:51am On Aug 10, 2015
ok
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by free2ryhme: 8:52am On Aug 10, 2015
Who go read go read end of story angry

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by fctguy: 8:52am On Aug 10, 2015
OP you must be crazy
How will you read when you have not eaten
How will you read when you a squatter with no permanent place to rest your head
How will you read when your environment is hostile
How will you read when you are not sure of the number of years you will spend in school due to strikes
How will you read when the economy is hostile to your parents who find it hard to pay your school fees
How will you read when school fee is increased at will
How will you read when you are not sure of getting a job after doing the reading
How will you read when your country leaders do not give a fvck about your furure
OP, tell, how will you read angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by sukkot: 8:54am On Aug 10, 2015
fctguy:
OP you must be crazy
How will you read when you are not sure of the number of years you will spend in school due to strikes
How will you read when the economy is hostile to your parents who find it hard to pay your school fees
How will you read when you are not sure of getting a job after doing the reading
How will you read when your country leaders do not give a fvck about your furure
too many excuses * sigh * . like nike said ' JUST DO IT ' undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by goshen26: 8:55am On Aug 10, 2015
OP I disagree with u. People still read wells, the same way we have those "komkom" head here in Nigeria who are not ready to read also we have them in those places mentioned, likewise as we have erudite scholar in those places u mentioned so we still have them in Nigeria.

The truth must be told, it has reduced compared to those years mentioned, cos many factors are involved, my father used to tell me b4 his death that once u r graduate in those days companies are already waiting for u, u have peujeot 504 waiting too. "The ugly ones refuse to die or step aside". The ugly are those that have enjoyed scholarships in their youth, buh depriving present youths the benefit they enjoyed.

Where is the driving force?

In conclusion, Nigerians still read o buh on the decrease.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by somysg: 8:55am On Aug 10, 2015
undecidedSorry dis 1 is a very long note

Can't read
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 10, 2015
Sunnycliff:
When the young ones spends 24/7 online when would they have time to read!!

It's about what they do online. The same Internet had made more of a reader.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 10, 2015
fctguy:
OP you must be crazy

oh you silly child, only if you knew the joys of reading...
reading will make you forget all these sorrows
reading will open your mind's eye to the possibilities there are and ginger you to reach out for them
reading will give you an edge over others and make you indisputably employable over your peers
reading will arm you with the knowledge to edge out those leaders and establish a better society

oh how lovely reading is...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by otimothy(m): 8:56am On Aug 10, 2015
oh Lord,bless the op for this wonderful write up now its disheartening that you cant enjoy a good conversation with a so called graduate and wont find the use of yup,k, and all sorts that just makes you wonder what the younger generation had turned globalisation into as its painful to say the least,i work in an environment that an undergraduate speaks and begin to wonder do they even read anything reason been that when we were growing up we used to read anything and everything as i dont know about you folks however in my family and circle of friends it got to an extent we turned reading into a competition,i hope these children would take advantage of the internet to the positive and not the other way around.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by yorex2011: 8:56am On Aug 10, 2015
As for me, technology has greatly increased my productivity, i bought my tablet mainly for reading and i have hundreds of books ranging from psychology to medicine to philosophy and economics, engineering (all aspects), and self help books such as the secret language of leadership.... meanwhile i am a graduate of Engineering.. And truth is i am not really a fan of novels.. The tablet has done soo much for me, i learnt web design on it, coding java, c, even android development on it, i increased my reading speed via a speed reading software to about 600wpm @80% comprehension..many things i also knw got them from youtube... So technology or social media might not necessarily be the cause, still boils down to the attitude of the youth

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 10, 2015
joganut:
Come comment. We Don reach promise land...
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Donjowebs(m): 8:57am On Aug 10, 2015
Nice write up @Op but @all what's the way forward to solve this menace?
For me this problem is a symptom of our bastardised educational system, I remember in the early 90s students in SS classes acted stage plays and I personally one day looked forward to being on stage myself. When my time came teachers and students alike weren't interested and since then that reading culture has been plagued by some many hydra-headed monsters bleeding our educational system dry. I still have hope though, because recently at a school where I taught we organised a debate between the SS 1 and 2 students and we were amazed at what we saw, more gladdening was when those in primary came to us insisting they wanted their own debate. We obliged them and we were blown away by what this pupils did during the debate, I was speechless! And it dawned on me all these kids need is encouragement, an example and a little nudge and challenge and you will see them flying out the blocks.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by chi4ik4(m): 8:58am On Aug 10, 2015
this your post is baseless and lacks fact. most of us still read & read as if our life depends on reading. come to university of jos & see how Josite spends their nights in the caferia reading without brake! IF U DON'T READ, MILLIONS OF NIGERIA STUDENTS STILL READ WITHOUT SEASON.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Sanchez01: 8:58am On Aug 10, 2015
Divepen1:
I remember those good old days. *smiles* We just wanted to devour them.
Problem is, how many functioning libraries do we have both in private and the so-called government schools? An average school owner in Nigeria is only out to make money rather than build lives.

The internet which is supposed to increase productivity in pupils is left unused. They have failed to take advantage of what most of us never enjoyed.

But then again, blame parents for the lack of reading culture among their wards. Most parents don't go through their kids' books. They hardly read in their presence and such parents are not bothered in any way. It is only when they fail woefully at the end of their academic calendar that their parents suspend the luxuries. Most kids are conditioned to read in this modern era. Some parents would be like "finish your assignment before watching Cartoon Network" or "Come out top in school and I'll get you a PS4". After conditioning, these kids become used to it such that they'll need to be motivated before they touch their books.

The reading culture is fast losing its grip on Nigerians students.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by jimi4us: 8:58am On Aug 10, 2015
that's what you get when you have an illiterate as a president.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Rexnegro(m): 8:58am On Aug 10, 2015
Blame it on immorality of The con3 and partly the internet
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Harfisco(m): 8:58am On Aug 10, 2015
One day one day....okoro bobo u be jita boy
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Shwarz: 8:59am On Aug 10, 2015
The rate at which nowadays youths are on the decline intellectually is heart breaking. They dont read, they dont know history and they are just hot blooded and so impatient. They are a disgrace. Of course the horrendous educational system and the astronomical level of corruption in the country plays a huge role but not totally. Personal issues like Mental laziness, sheer lack of ambition and lack of good role models also holds sway. They all wanna act like wizkid and dress like davido.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Lordmykel(m): 9:00am On Aug 10, 2015
Anyone will read anything when romance is added to it. Most of my friends enjoy romance novels and spend their money on it. Reading isn't my hobby.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by sukkot: 9:00am On Aug 10, 2015
yorex2011:
As for me, technology has greatly increased my productivity, i bought my tablet mainly for reading and i have hundreds of books ranging from psychology to medicine to philosophy and economics, engineering (all aspects), and self help books such as the secret language of leadership.... meanwhile i am a graduate of Engineering.. And truth is i am not really a fan of novels.. The tablet has done soo much for me, i learnt web design on it, coding java, c, even android development on it, i increased my reading speed via a speed reading software to about 600wpm @80% comprehension..many things i also knw got them from youtube... So technology or social media might not necessarily be the cause, still boils down to the attitude of the youth
do you have unlimited data plan ? are you in nigeria ? how much is unlimited internet access ?
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by adegeye38(m): 9:01am On Aug 10, 2015
yh i remember when i was in secs skul i devoured ovr 250 novels both foreign and african i started reading literature text right back since i was in nursery 1 and till date it has helped me a lot even in my academics, wider knowledge , and spoken english.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Sanchez01: 9:04am On Aug 10, 2015
chi4ik4:
this your post is baseless and lacks fact. most of us still read & read as if our life depends on reading. come to university of jos & see how Josite spends their nights in the caferia reading without brake! IF U DON'T READ, MILLIONS OF NIGERIA STUDENTS STILL READ WITHOUT SEASON.
Funny, just like someone from Uniben or OAU would say they read 22hours non-stop. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Undergraduates read for a reason - to stay in the school and excel with good grades at the end of the day.

But ask yourself, how many undergraduates read to understand? Most cram what they read just to put it down during exams and tests.

What the OP means is reading for the fun of it and not for grades. You hardly see people get books and read for the fun of it. Introverts are the few endangered species around. A university girl would prefer she hangs out with her friends or see "boys over flowersgrin" rather than pick a book that is non-academic book in her quiet time.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by mentorandfriend(m): 9:04am On Aug 10, 2015
I just hope Buhari bans k and kk.
Written communication has gone to the trash bin with this generation.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by kevoh(m): 9:06am On Aug 10, 2015
One would think with the influx of various smart tablet devices (both luxury and chinko brands) into Nigeria in which you can store over thousands of books, the reading culture would have been revived! But hell NO.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by peter4d2(m): 9:06am On Aug 10, 2015
Though while we where still in primary sch mom didn't have a shop, she was practically housewife kind but then it gave her the chance too inspect our books not for assignments alone but also to count the number of leave to see if it matches with d said appropriate leaves if not there would be ass whooping.

Everybody saying its the parents fault if u did marry I presume a lot of you would really love for each of the spouse to be engage in doing something but if that his the case nigeria of today things are 3times harder than it where in those days

Example I grew up in Aj city but to tell you the truth we rely on government water which was almost everywhere and that alone eased a little burden of our parents back then so much emphasis would just be about the children times have changed.

The parents of these generation ought to get a desktop download books on it and ask his or her ward to be reading and later summarise it for her,though I believe the mother has a larger role to play in the upbringing of children.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by ElPhenomenal(m): 9:07am On Aug 10, 2015
SexyKaycee:

oh you silly child, only if you knew the joys of reading...
reading will make you forget all these sorrows
reading will open your mind's eye to the possibilities there are and ginger you to reach out for them
reading will give you an edge over others and make you indisputably employable over your peers
reading will arm you with the knowledge to edge out those leaders and establish a better society

oh how lovely reading is...
And reading Hardley Chase or Shakespeare will give you those knowledge? the internet is the solution to all these
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by mentorandfriend(m): 9:07am On Aug 10, 2015
dearpreye:

My honourable, good morning, and thanks for the mention. It was reportedly said by the late JFK that the future of any nation lies in the proper education of its youths.

The present lack of reading culture is worrisome as it gravely portends a huge danger for us as a people and a nation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Single Lady / Part 1 Sex Between Me & Son (18+ Only) / Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.