Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,065 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse (24075 Views)

Diana: Good Girl Gone Bad / For Better, For Worse / Introducing The Reading Service: First Of Her Kind In Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Mikwus(f): 11:49am On Aug 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Bro, it's a deplorable and depressing trend. I've not watched the TV for more than 15 minutes at one seating for the past 6 months. I can't keep watching people who are making millions every day. Madness!

All I can do is surround my home with books and encourage my family to read. That's the best I can do.

I just had to scroll to see your response.....you couldn't have said it better

Kudos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Mikwus(f): 11:51am On Aug 10, 2015
This sums it all, no more care

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by adeememman(m): 12:02pm On Aug 10, 2015
Learn how to improve reading skill of your children here www.madesimpleonline.xyz/2015/08/how-to-improve-reading-skills-in.html?m=1
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Realisticman: 12:08pm On Aug 10, 2015
Olarewajub:
Original Poster
Thanks.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 10, 2015
ElPhenomenal:
Things changed

And it seems they only changed for the worst.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 10, 2015
Dioxidane:

cheesy I'm sure if it was a thread about celebrities or any other ludicrous content of no present or future benefit(s) to them, you'll see them rushing to 'book space'... I shake my for youths of today...

Igwe Lalasticlala, please come and see this.

You're responsible for the thread making it to the FP. Our society is in crisis. One could predict with a near perfect accuracy where we are headed. Terrible.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by 989900: 12:53pm On Aug 10, 2015
chi4ik4:
this your post is baseless and lacks fact. most of us still read & read as if our life depends on reading. come to university of jos & see how Josite spends their nights in the caferia reading without brake! IF U DON'T READ, MILLIONS OF NIGERIA STUDENTS STILL READ WITHOUT SEASON.

The above highlights part of the OP's mention.

Can anyone spot them?

angry
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Kingspin(m): 12:57pm On Aug 10, 2015
What are we talking? Which way Nigerian from educational sector to agriculture, economy, boko haram, PHCN, stealing, Religious/tribal extremist etc all in one. Who say we dont need a national restructure to chart a new way forward.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 10, 2015
What we have now is a majority of rebellious kids who will go ballistic on anyone who tries to give them morals about education.

Blame Wizkid and BBA and a few of their unqualified teachers in their school.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 10, 2015
dfrost:

Public library? It seems you expect much from our present day government. The one in my area is covered in weeds, only mowed down when the place is rented out for parties. You can imagine that the library is surrounded by more than 13 primary and secondary schools (I can't give the exact figure).

What a nation. We can see clearly where lies our values. Depressing.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by possibilita(m): 1:35pm On Aug 10, 2015
You are right@Op

Don't blame increasing tech,

Don't blame phones n social medias

But blame the economy and educational system as it doesn't encourage Reading anymore,hw do u expect a student to read his book when lectures n profs keep talking about grades?instead d student jst take a past question,find d answers to all the questions and write his exams.

Tech n phones should share d blame too,for hw do u expect a student to read properly when he browse all his assignment and jst submit it without knowing what is even inside?y wud u expect a student to read after he finds out d requirement to get a good job?

Finally everything and everybody should share d blame because in this generation coz of the bad economy,certain jobs are favoured to other so many parents always advice their children to go for the more favoured courses n less ppl or none wants to study language,or literature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by oginga: 1:47pm On Aug 10, 2015
Freemanan:
TOO LONG...

CAN'T READ

No offence, you're one of those lazy students the "op" is referring to.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by gabicon: 2:05pm On Aug 10, 2015
The main reason for the decay in our educational system is that crime pays in Nigeria. Why should one get an education and is being controlled by an illiterate? Everyone wants to be at the top and if being illiterate or semi illiterate is what it takes to get there then so be it.

Secondly our value system is a complete decay we reward people who minor in the major and despise those who major in the major hence we create a society of people that don't think. For any reasonable change to occur we need to change how we think about everything.

There are four steps in the ladder of life step one is the survival step, step two is the success step, step three is the significane step, step four is the service step. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of the black race are stuck in or between the first and second step irrespective of financial status. Once we can break away from this rot things will become better. We need to drive it down people head that it's not cool to have 30 houses unoccupied while millions of people are homeless, the word for that is waste. We can be sending our children to school abroad and expect our schools will be better, we can keep depending on others and expect to grow, we can't be getting expects from abroad to solve our problems and neglect our home research and development.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by oyeezah(f): 2:12pm On Aug 10, 2015
SAMBARRY:
exactly meanwhile in developed societies movies are an instrument of enlightenment or encouraging learning. Look at the movie akeelah and the bee.

I remember those days when we were kids we were so eager to watch speak out on nta.a debate programme on tv to help teens sharpen their debate skills and their intelligence but look at the thrash all over the tv.things of value that should educate and entertain kids and teens are no longer shown instead its aki and paw paw teaching kids how to steal another person's farm products and other nonsense.

Meanwhile its only few of this nollywood movie makers that are educated especially in the yoruba genre. A large number of them are illiterates and semi illiterates yet we expose children to learn from illiterates via nollywood home video undecided
even the so-called kiddies' programmes nowadays only have avenues for singing and dancing competition, nothing academic to enhance their intellectual development. the solution starts with the families controlling what their kids are exposed to. gone are the days when parents bought books for their kids, all what most parents are concerned with these days is to make their kids stand out in terms of clothing and possession.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by dfrost: 2:13pm On Aug 10, 2015
VickyRotex:

"The family is both the fundamental unit of society as well as the root of culture. It is a perpetual source of encouragement, advocacy, assurance, and emotional refueling that empowers a child to venture with confidence into the greater world and to become all that he can be".
-MARIANNE E. NEIFERT

Word! @ the bolded. Preach on sister.

Do we all remember Do It Yourself on NTA?

Press Club in secondary schools then was the rave of the moment.

Cursive writing was one of my best things in primary school then. I think like one of the posters suggested, we need to take it up on ourselves to preach the word. We can discuss on how to create a Union to setup private libraries (if not possible, then e-libraries).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by neahyo(m): 2:42pm On Aug 10, 2015
Till now, my dad jostle novels and story books with my youngest sibling. But, the rest of my siblings 'in fact no talk about book for where dem dey'.
The truth is, the days of even ' Agbo lives in Calabar' or 'Sugar girl', 'Ali and Simbi' are long gone, Reading culture has hit rock-bottom in our society.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by stan241(m): 3:24pm On Aug 10, 2015
I think the op is right to an extent but saying this kids are lazy is just unnecessary generalisation because its not necessarily true

I remember during my teaching practise, the school didn't have any social clubs like the debate and the press e.t.c they didn't even have a library and were in their classrooms almost all throughout the day and it was we the student teachers that introduced this things to the school and the number of students we had applying for the debate society shocked us, they said the principal barely gave them time for such and all their teachers cared about was giving them books upon books to read without really allowing them opportunities to express themselves, you also find out that such traits are carried over to the universities

As an English Language undergraduate, we had to read sometimes 10 novels "per course" in one semester sometimes and during exams a lecturer asks you, "In two lines, summarise the novel" and that's it mind you this might be a 200 to 400 page novel and one would barely get an A in such a course, now tell me why i would want to "kill" myself the following semester to read any novel when i know most of the lecturers only want you to in 5minutes summarise what you read......The system is just messed up, most lecturers set exams for students to "pass" and not the other way round, in my opinion even though we can agree that the reading culture has fallen, current economic situations don't really help matters too

And as much as we want to blame parents for this very ugly trend, the govt also has to take a chunk of the blame, i remember my love for English Language started so early because i had some of the most devoted teachers back then especially in primary school, today though you would hardly find such, teachers are paid peanuts monthly compared to other professions and in my opinion, i don't see why a doctor should earn so much more than a teacher that's just the truth, a lot of teachers are underpaid which in turn affects their output to the children that's why they stuff these kids with so much assignments because they'd rather do that than waste so much time and energy explaining stuff and in the end get paid 30k at the end of the month now that's just disgusting

I don't totally agree that the reading culture of our generation is that bad but it boils down to all sorts of factors

And sidenote a lot of these folks(the older generation) screaming on this thread about how bad the reading culture is now and how easy it was in the past are also a major part of the reason why the reading culture is what it is now
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Sagamite(m): 4:15pm On Aug 10, 2015
chinnyonwu:

What exactly is wrong with the bolded?
So you believe you are more intelligent and superior just because you type in full?
I write like that and i can still write in correct grammar when its needed.
It's just a way of saving time or energy punching less stuff on your keypad.
Quick question, when your lecturer is dictating notes in class,do you write out everything in full?
If NO, do you use the same shorthands in your exam?
You guys should concentrate more on people using wrong tenses and spellings.
A lot of the "superior" whites have trouble with "their" and "there" , "your" and "you're". <<Sagamite , Joseph1013 take note.

NB. I wrote in Full incase you have troubles understanding shorthand. Lol

What nonsense!

What time and energy are you saving?

The fact you have to re-engineer your brain to select substitutes is enough energy wasted.

Talk less of the extra effort the reader would have to employ too decode it.

It is pure mental laziness and interest in being "current".

Checking through your post history, it does not even appear as if you use textspeak.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by VickyRotex(f): 4:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
2scorehigh:

Hahahaaa... in that case, there's fire on the mountain! cheesy

Well, lemme call Wande Coal. cheesy

Please do grin
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by SAMBARRY: 4:32pm On Aug 10, 2015
oyeezah:
even the so-called kiddies' programmes nowadays only have avenues for singing and dancing competition, nothing academic to enhance their intellectual development. the solution starts with the families controlling what their kids are exposed to. gone are the days when parents bought books for their kids, all what most parents are concerned with these days is to make their kids stand out in terms of clothing and possession.
I'm telling you. Sometimes I'm ashamed of some adults. You will see some grown women and men arguing over stoopedety.o my daughter wore gucci top to her end of year party. I made her hair for 10k.my son won the dancing competition in his school

and do you know the funny part of the whole matter they don't monitor their kids academically. They don't even know what he's doing in school. All they do is just pay children's school fees and lesson teachers. When the child now fails they will get angry and change the child's school as if it is his school that made him fail. Some parents have the brain of a 6year old that you begin to wonder is this actually a mother or a father undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by alexlee50: 4:40pm On Aug 10, 2015
An2elect2:

The men are not better....most of them are dumb as f.uck.
I agree with you.it is this generation that has the problem.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by joseph1013: 4:51pm On Aug 10, 2015
chinnyonwu:

What exactly is wrong with the bolded?
So you believe you are more intelligent and superior just because you type in full?

Yes, he appears more intelligent and superior intellectually than you just because he types in full and not shorthand.

I write like that and i can still write in correct grammar when its needed.
It's just a way of saving time or energy punching less stuff on your keypad.

No, it's a way of telling the world that you are a lazy person who cannot communicate effectively in writing.

Quick question, when your lecturer is dictating notes in class,do you write out everything in full?
If NO, do you use the same shorthands in your exam?

So, tell me, are you under pressure when you write on facebook, whatsapp and nairaland? What time have you saved by writing in shorthand when it is easier to complete your sentences via built-in intellisense. I am probably faster than you in typing via intellisense than you are via shorthand.

You guys should concentrate more on people using wrong tenses and spellings.
A lot of the "superior" whites have trouble with "their" and "there" , "your" and "you're". <<Sagamite , Joseph1013 take note.

NB. I wrote in Full incase you have troubles understanding shorthand. Lol

[b]Of course, tenses and spellings are issues with the poorly-educated kids in Nigeria. However, we can do all of these corrections at the same time. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.

That the 'whites' have issues with certain words do not mean they do not have a better grasp of written communication than people like yourself.

As an aside, I've interacted personally with a number of educated Westerners (Europeans & North Americans) both in the physical & the virtual world. I stay in Africa and I interact with educated Africans on a daily basis. I took time to go through the link sagamite shared about the kids discussing feminism later that day and I'm left with only one conclusion: we educated Africans are not as intelligent as the Westerners. Full stop.

You may crucify me for saying this but that's the only conclusion I'm left with.

I know IQ is not a failproof test of intelligence. I'm not even sure if I can harvest IQ scores for Africans & Westerners and compare but if there's a reliable method of estimating intelligence, we educated Africans will score lower than our western counterparts. You listen to a Nigerian professor talk, you listen to a British undergraduate student talk and you wonder who's smarter.

I've interacted with toddlers from both parts of the world and somehow, I think there's no difference in the level of intelligence. So where did the disparity in adulthood come from? I know it's nothing genetic but purely environmental. There's only one answer: our educational system.

What we do here is basically rote learning. That's why most Nigerian intellectuals won't pass simple elementary-grade tests in deductive reasoning.

Why am I bothered? Because that's why we're mostly ignorant and sheepish and in turn, that's why we're still underdeveloped. That's why we are easily fleeced. That's why someone like you will come out openly to criticize something that ought to be common sense.

We focus our energies on irrelevances like 'stunning picture of Fani Kayode's wife' and leave out the relevant stuff about national and individual development. We're products of a handicapped system and the handicapped system is a product of our brains. [/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by VickyRotex(f): 4:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
dfrost:

Word! @ the bolded. Preach on sister.

Do we all remember Do It Yourself on NTA?

Press Club in secondary schools then was the rave of the moment.

Cursive writing was one of my best things in primary school then. I think like one of the posters suggested, we need to take it up on ourselves to preach the word. We can discuss on how to create a Union to setup private libraries (if not possible, then e-libraries).

smiley smiley

I remember them.

Quite sad our educational system has deteriorated.

Brilliant idea. I'm sure there are lots of us willing to cooperate.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by daveP(m): 4:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
T6e older generation must wake up to the fact that times have changed alot. Info have gone from on hardware to software.

And besides our educational system recommendation for literature books is based on biased. The brother of commisioner have his book selected for waec usage, or in a univ, sister to the dean have her one-quater baked novel as use for gst101, etc. Books that have no allignment, basis, connection, amusement and you expect students to want be glad when they see another unknow author at their beck and call?

Besides, our mono-educational system makes it impossible for someone scientifically inclined to pick chimamanda, Aluko, etc. A student like that currently is termed mad, doing the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Aspa parents- what of parents that scold and beat, punish their kids when seen with novels-seems most parents see any novel with their kid as detriment and term them "romantic" in most instances.

Lets ask ourselves- why do youths prefer romantic novels to contemporary literature, etc.

Amusement-connection-sense of belonging-satisfaction-reality. Lemme stop their

i blame the education sector once again.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by murmee: 5:05pm On Aug 10, 2015
Freemanan:
TOO LONG...

CAN'T READ
Exactly what the OP is just saying. If you find the OP's essay too long to read and understand how would you then be interested in reading a literature of any kind. SMH.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 10, 2015
VickyRotex:

Good Morning dfrost!

Thanks for the mention

@bolded, you nailed it. That's one of the major cause of what we're experiencing right now.

Parents no longer lead by example.

Some Parents no longer have time to train their wards. All they crave for now is money, how to beat their colleagues in social status et al.

Most Parents don't even read, so how do you expect such parents to imbibe the reading pattern in their kids?

Now, most Parents believe whatever their child is taught in school will do, without going extra mile.

I'm so grateful to my parents, who imbibed values in us.

They shared it. My mum handled Spelling and dictation. You return from school, rest your head, and off you go with her in the kitchen, spelling atleast 5 new words per day. Else, you know na sad

(Talk of Akeelah and the Bee movie, it was also a great motivation then. Seeing such a young girl with vibrant passion for spelling).

My dad, handled reading and understanding. You read Novels, Newspapers (He loves that so much), Academic books (especially Comprehension passages).
You just have to read, digest and understand, because you have to explain exactly what you read or summarize.

The annoying thing then was, you cant lie to my dad about what you read, because even before you read it, he has already done that. He practically lead by example.

He had this popular slang then. Whenever we're going to school, he'd say "Kawe e ooo" (Read ooo) It was so annoying, especially when he had to say it in the presence of my school mates. You know that feeling cheesy

Oh then, I thought we were been purnished, but whenever I look back, I see its all fruitful now.

My dad never told us to do things verbally, you just have to write, and when you write, it has to be in good English.

I personally imbibed his passion for reading books. I'm still learning and improving day by day. I'm not even near perfect, but I'm quite sure, I'm not where I used to be.

What am I saying? Parents are the fundamental causes of this lack of reading pattern in our youths. Coupled with what the society has become. And the reason is not far fetched. ""The family is the corner stone of the society""

There are other reasons for the present day degredation in reading, but I feel it's much better to address the root cause.

I'll end with this:

"The family is both the fundamental unit of society as well as the root of culture. It is a perpetual source of encouragement, advocacy, assurance, and emotional refueling that empowers a child to venture with confidence into the greater world and to become all that he can be".
-MARIANNE E. NEIFERT

dearpreye, great contribution you have there. cool Quest for material things has taken away the reading culture from our youths.

The so called "Role Models" most youths attach themselves to, aint helping at all.

The clarity of your thoughts and expression have given further credence to the enviable and leading exemplary lives your wonderful parents lived; they foresaw the future and prepared you for it. God bless them! Not all youths were blessed with your kind of parents.

I think I have to finally totally agree with everything you've said. Parents should be blamed squarely for this lack of appetite for books by their children. If parents do their best, the society will have very little negative impacts on their children.

Parents are supposed to be their kids first teachers. They're supposed to complement whatever efforts the teachers have put into educating their kids. Most parents have totally abandoned their children's education to others, gallivanting in the gargantuan deceit that paying their school fees and sending them to the best schools in town would suffice.

VickyRotex, you simply imbibed the values your parents displayed. You've internalised and owned them, and having known their benefits, you're more than willing to do more for your own kids. That's leadership by example.

Reading parents are more likely to produce reading students. Children imbibe the more obvious habits of their parents. If we want our kids to read, we must read. We must study. They must see us doing that. We must lead them by example.

The society also plays a role- albeit little.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 10, 2015
What legacy did the reading culture of the 70s and 80s bequeath to Nigeria? Oh, it didn't even teach its citizens how to keep the lights on?!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by chinnyonwu(m): 5:26pm On Aug 10, 2015
Sagamite:

What nonsense!

What time and energy are you saving?

The fact you have to re-engineer your brain to select substitutes is enough energy wasted.

Talk less of the extra effort the reader would have to employ too decode it.

It is pure mental laziness and interest in being "current"

Checking through your post history, it does not even appear as if you use textspeak.
@bolded, compare those two statements and check who the mentally lazy person is.

Answer naa, when your UK lecturers dictated notes back then, did you and all your mates write every single thing they said out in full?
How people choose to write or speak is not the least of our problems in 9JA right now! At all at all... As long as theres communication. Period

So i am irritated that all of a sudden a group of silly people feel everybody is daft and unemployable simple because they dont type in full.
...Abi did you see them use textspeak in their CVs?

Thats how one yeye girl thought i was a villager because I spoke more Igbo than English... Then chinnyonwu took her to the cleaners. grin grin
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Sagamite(m): 5:32pm On Aug 10, 2015
joseph1013:

[b]Of course, tenses and spellings are issues with the poorly-educated kids in Nigeria. However, we can do all of these corrections at the same time. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.

That the 'whites' have issues with certain words do not mean they do not have a better grasp of written communication than people like yourself.

As an aside, I've interacted personally with a number of educated Westerners (Europeans & North Americans) both in the physical & the virtual world. I stay in Africa and I interact with educated Africans on a daily basis. I took time to go through the link sagamite shared about the kids discussing feminism later that day and I'm left with only one conclusion: we educated Africans are not as intelligent as the Westerners. Full stop.

You may crucify me for saying this but that's the only conclusion I'm left with.

I know IQ is not a failproof test of intelligence. I'm not even sure if I can harvest IQ scores for Africans & Westerners and compare but if there's a reliable method of estimating intelligence, we educated Africans will score lower than our western counterparts. You listen to a Nigerian professor talk, you listen to a British undergraduate student talk and you wonder who's smarter.

I've interacted with toddlers from both parts of the world and somehow, I think there's no difference in the level of intelligence. So where did the disparity in adulthood come from? I know it's nothing genetic but purely environmental. There's only one answer: our educational system.

What we do here is basically rote learning. That's why most Nigerian intellectuals won't pass simple elementary-grade tests in deductive reasoning.

Why am I bothered? Because that's why we're mostly ignorant and sheepish and in turn, that's why we're still underdeveloped. That's why we are easily fleeced. That's why someone like you will come out openly to criticize something that ought to be common sense.

We focus our energies on irrelevances like '[size=18pt]stunning[/size] picture of Fani Kayode's wife' and leave out the relevant stuff about national and individual development. We're products of a handicapped system and the handicapped system is a product of our brains. [/b]

Fcking well said.

I was telling a NLer almost the same thing just a few days ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/2469365/graduate-distinction-uk-uni-offered/3#36148994

Another thing is that, in the last one week, I have actually been doing some of my [eccentric & weird] personal research on what is intelligence, so as to formulate and refine my opinion on it.

I always engage in this sudden and absurd interest in knowing something, and it has been intelligence this week.

I am beginning to conclude that there is an intellectual potential each person has across a wide range on different kinds of intellect.

I suspect the average white people might have more natural propensity for logical intellect (the one forming part of majority of the traditional IQ test and which I regard as the top of the intellectual hierarchy), while the average black person might have more of the kinesthetic intellect (the type that involves using the body to do things).

No wonder you will see more white people winning Nobel Prizes, while black people win in sports.

Even just narrowing to football. Many top strikers can be black (running and power), while most playmakers are white (brain power).

I can't even recall any African national football team having a decent (not even world class) playmaker since Jay-Jay retired.

We all have potential in each but I am beginning to think race (and hence genes) play a part in how these potential is distributed across each type of intelligence. So you can still see many blacks with more logical intelligence than most whites, I just think on average whites get more of it.

One has the potential in these different kinds on intelligence but you still have to achieve it. To achieve that potential is dependent on nutrition, environment/exposure and learning/mentorship. This is where many Africans struggle.

The lack of good nutrition, an environment full of & mixing with fellow fuuktards and poor/backward learning systems leads to us generating many fuuktards. An environment of poverty, failed education system and people never making any effort to make sense or be the best the can be.

I recently saw a guy I used to know in the UK who is an Oxford graduate on youtube talking to a news network about some socio-economic things about Nigeria. Even though he spoke intelligently, I spotted his oral quality had declined since he moved to Nigeria.

How would he not when he is no more working in an environment of excellence with highly intelligent people. His environment and exposure had changed and that had affected his intellect/eloquence.

On NL, the only thing they see as intelligent is saying everything is "STUNNING/STUNS". undecided

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Sagamite(m): 5:36pm On Aug 10, 2015
chinnyonwu:

@bolded, compare those two statements and check who the mentally lazy person is.

Answer naa, when your UK lecturers dictated notes back then, did you and all your mates write every single thing they said out in full?
How people choose to write or speak is not the least of our problems in 9JA right now! At all at all... As long as theres communication. Period

So i am irritated that all of a sudden a group of silly people feel everybody is daft and unemployable simple because they dont type in full.
...Abi did you see them use textspeak in their CVs?

Thats how one yeye girl thought i was a villager because I spoke more Igbo than English... Then chinnyonwu took her to the cleaners. grin grin

You are a cretinous fuuktard!

Never again compare the approach taken during pressure to justify an approach taken when no pressure is on the person.

By the way, in the UK, I got materials loaded on a website and I had textbooks, I did not need to write anything.
Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by virginchaser(m): 6:11pm On Aug 10, 2015
I wish i could have only contributors of this forum on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 10, 2015
murmee:
Exactly what the OP is just saying. If you find the OP's essay too long to read and understand how would you then be interested in reading a literature of any kind. SMH.
I was kidding... You should know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Part 1 Sex Between Me & Son (18+ Only) / Chimamanda Adichie Names The 4 Writers That Changed Her Destiny / Untitled Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.