Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,341 members, 7,842,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate (786 Views)

FG Adopts 60-day National Action Plan To Ease Businesses / OPC Gives Militants 14-Day Ultimatum To Stop Attacks / I Can’t Be PDP Chairman At All Cost, I’m Ready To Vacate Office – Sheriff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by fkaz(m): 10:19pm On Aug 09, 2015
Over 1,000 traders at the popular Alade Market, Ikeja area of Lagos, Southwest Nigeria have been given 60-day ultimatum to vacate the market to pave way for its redevelopment into a mega shopping mall.

Ikeja Local Government has inaugurated a 16-man committee to facilitate the movement of the traders within the next 60 days.
The council, concessionaire of the market and the association of Market Women and Men have agreed to the ultimatum.

Adekunle Adeokun, Executive Secretary of Ikeja Local Government presided over a stakeholders’ meeting held at the council’s head office, Ikeja where all parties agreed to relocate from the market before or on October.

He said, however, that few concerned traders “are still resisting our plan to redevelop Alade Market to the true status of Africa’s model megacity despite all we have put in place to ensure their successful relocation.”

According to him, the council had already directed all owners of shops and concerned traders “to quit within a period of two months. The concerned traders are not owners of shops in the market. They simply rent shops from the shop owners. So, they cannot stop us from redeveloping the Alade Market.

“We have waited for five years. We agreed to build 200 more shops to accommodate all legal traders in the alternative market.

We plan to reconstruct two roads to avoid traffic congestion in the area within the timeframe. We have agreed to build a bridge that enable customer and traders to enter and exit the market from Oregun road.”

Managing Director, Master Reality International Concepts Limited, the concessionaire, Lai Omotola said the government “has given 60-day extension for the relocation of the market and all the traders. The deadline will elapse on October 7 and all the traders, except few concerned ones, have agreed to the relocation plan.”

He stated that the Iyaloja-General of the Association of Market Women and Men, Mrs. Shade Tinubu-Ojo had held a meeting with the market people and the concessionaire on Thursday, noting that they all agreed unanimously.

“The Iyaloja-general pleaded with the concessionaire to make the alternative market habitable and comfortable for all the traders.

A 16-man committee headed by the Deputy Executive Secretary, Prince Oluranti Olufon had been put in place. The committee comprises six members from the market, five from the council and five from the concessionaire,” he said.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/08/09/alade-market-traders-get-60-day-ultimatum-to-vacate/

Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by dhardline(m): 10:23pm On Aug 09, 2015
There is still excess space at the malls they built after demolishing yaba market.I wonder if they are expecting those petty traders to pay for those shops and now this one too. Would have been good if the shops there were subsidized to make them more affordable.

1 Like

Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by ladyF(f): 10:24pm On Aug 09, 2015
Eeyah
Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by oduastates: 10:27pm On Aug 09, 2015
Turning back the hands of the clock and getting back on track to the 21st century.
Those of you who experienced the showrooms,supermarket,stores and mini mall of the past , can you list those ones you remember

I remember

Bata
Kingsway
Leventis
May and baker
McMillan bookshop
Abiola bookshop
Julie pharmacy
Volkswagen showroom
Peugeot showroom
Phillip

1 Like

Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2015
Walmart Lagos loading
This is great

1 Like

Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by EdCure: 10:33pm On Aug 09, 2015
They better comply now and not cry wolf later when the demolition commence.

3 Likes

Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by wellmax(m): 10:54pm On Aug 09, 2015
dhardline:
There is still excess space at the malls they built after demolishing yaba market.I wonder if they are expecting those petty traders to pay for those shops and now this one too. Would have been good if the shops there were subsidized to make them more affordable.

Did you just call Alade traders 'petty'? You no know nothing. That's one. Even the new Tejuosho has a place for vegetable sellers and other 'petty traders'. And if you think Tejuosho will remain vacant for long, you are on a long thing.
Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by dhardline(m): 11:21pm On Aug 09, 2015
wellmax:

Did you just call Alade traders 'petty'? You no know nothing. That's one. Even the new Tejuosho has a place for vegetable sellers and other 'petty traders'. And if you think Tejuosho will remain vacant for long, you are on a long thing.

Lets start this way,will you kindly tell me how much the shops in Tejuosho are sold and for how many years before its renewed?
Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 09, 2015
and so?
Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by wellmax(m): 11:33pm On Aug 09, 2015
dhardline:

Lets start this way,will you kindly tell me how much the shops in Tejuosho are sold and for how many years before its renewed?

Nope let's end it this way, small minds think small.
The shops are in stratas, different cadres, sizes and locations within the complex. You will do well to compare with similar shops outside Tejuosho.
Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 09, 2015
Where will I do my Bereau de change and buy my plantain...
Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by dhardline(m): 11:48pm On Aug 09, 2015
wellmax:

Nope let's end it this way, small minds think small.
The shops are in stratas, different cadres, sizes and locations within the complex. You will do well to compare with similar shops outside Tejuosho.

Small minds think small,right on. But what happened to empathy? Or do you just assume because you maybe able to afford it then every other person who once traded in the market can also afford to shell out 5.4 Million naira? No doubt alot of people will definitely buy the shops and then sublet them but the fact still remains that alot of those who were traders there before wont be able to afford those spaces...We all need to have a little human compassion in us,it builds a better society.
Re: Alade Market Traders Get 60-day Ultimatum To Vacate by SimpleVili: 11:58pm On Aug 09, 2015
Where do they go to?

Place your orders for long-lasting solar power banks. See my signature.

(1) (Reply)

Press Statement ‘stop Appropriating Our Achievements’ –PDP Cautions APC / 109 Senators Salaries To Be Slashed By 30% / Policewoman Demoted After She Was Caught Having Raunchy Sex In Her Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.