Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch (22555 Views)

BREAKING : Senate Suspends Ndume For Six Months - Punch / Maintenance Of Presidential Fleet Has Cost FG N5bn In 15 Months – Punch / President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by ijustdey: 2:56am On Aug 10, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari is set to head the Ministry of Petroleum for 18 months before appointing a substantive minister for the ministry, The PUNCH has learnt.

The President said this while meeting with some members of his political party, the All Progressives Congress, in Abuja recently.

One of those at the meeting, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent in Abuja on Sunday, that the President said he would use the one and a half years of heading the sensitive ministry to reposition it.

According to him, “At the meeting we had recently, we discussed the issues of portfolios and other matters,” the President said he was going to handle the Ministry of Petroleum himself for about 18 months.

“He said it was after this that he would appoint a substantive minister for the ministry. He said he would only personally handle the reorganisation of the much-important ministry.

“Besides, he said the ministry needed to be reformed and be rid of corruption. He promised to sanitise the ministry.”

It was, however, gathered that the President was thinking of appointing an experienced person as his special adviser on petroleum.

Buhari was once a minister in charge of the ministry and because of his experience, he was said to have vowed to make sure that he blocked all the loopholes that enabled those manning the ministry to either steal money or petroleum products.

Speaking on the issue, the Peoples Democratic Party said it would be too early to speculate on whether the President would head the ministry or not.

Rather, the opposition party urged Nigerians to wait till September when the President promised to name his cabinet.

The Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the party, Alhaji Ibrahim Jalo, told our correspondent that he was only sure that the President was going to split the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

Jalo said, “That Buhari is going to head the ministry is speculative. But what we know, going by his body language and actions so far, is that he is going to split the NNPC.

“This is what we know. So, let’s wait and see what he’s going to do before we make comments.”

However, the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties said the constitution vested powers on the President to head any ministry or parastatal of his choice or appoint a representative.

The National Publicity Secretary of the organisation, Mr. Osita Okechukwu, said that Section 5 of the 1999 Constitution “vested executive powers on the President.

He said, “He can decide to exercise such powers by himself or delegate it to his deputy, or public officers of the public service of the federation. That’s what the law says.

“Whether he chooses to manage any ministry by himself is immaterial. Whether he decides to be in charge of ministries such as power, works, women affairs or culture does not mean anything to the Nigerian people.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/president-to-head-ministry-of-petroleum-for-18-months/

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by scribble: 2:57am On Aug 10, 2015
INTROVERT

Bubu is doing a good job with fuel

26 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by chocolateme(f): 3:00am On Aug 10, 2015
This country must bow..
The President is not smiling..
Let him head it for 3 years if possible because this woman don kill us.
At least let's know whether it is the clipper that's not sharp or that the barber doesn't know his work

144 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by osaslord500(m): 3:06am On Aug 10, 2015
I hope he does something remarkable in those 18months.

Life is not all about tourism Mr President. Be focused and do your job, Niger cant help us rather can Benin republic.

17 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Nobody: 3:07am On Aug 10, 2015
My President, Please just do ANYTHING that will make Nigeria great again. We believe absolutely in you....... God bless President Buhari. God bless Nigeria.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Cutehector(m): 3:07am On Aug 10, 2015
I knew he would head the petroleum ministry just like obasanjo did... So I am not surprised...

21 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Cutehector(m): 3:08am On Aug 10, 2015
chocolateme:
This country must bow..
The President is not smiling..
Let him head it for 3 years if possible because this woman don kill us.
At least let's know whether it is the clipper that's not sharp or that the barber doesn't k ow his work.

INTROVERT: Why is it that sleep has eluded you? Even in your dream, you are still hussling..
I ddnt see her moniker here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Nobody: 3:12am On Aug 10, 2015
I don't see a need for the Ministry of Petroleum in this country. Let the GMD of the NNPC superintend over what is known as the Ministry of Petroleum today, with the parastatals and agencies attached to it.

Putting an energy Minister in-charge oil, power and other related fields(as we hear President Buhari wants to do) would be vesting too much power in one man and we know how we as a people abuse privileges in this country.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by naijaboiy: 3:14am On Aug 10, 2015
God bless PMB.

37 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by otabuko(m): 3:21am On Aug 10, 2015
Issorite....
Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Islie: 3:24am On Aug 10, 2015
Just unplugging the corruption that goes on in that sector and making it accountable for all income and expenditure it makes will do it for me.

Even if he decides not to appoint anyone till its expiration of his mandate

15 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by AlabaSlim: 3:29am On Aug 10, 2015
My question is:

Who is monitoring Buhari seeing he is a one-man dictator, na only am dey kwarutption free, na only am waka come, etc.......this guy has spent over 10 trillion naira & counting, yet there is no search light beamed on him, why

All I see is HYPOCRISY everywhere.....Jesus Christ, come to our rescue

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by bewla(m): 3:37am On Aug 10, 2015
if that will make it work fine with me
Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Nobody: 3:38am On Aug 10, 2015
18 Monthsssssss??........Noooooooo

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by nnachukz(m): 4:01am On Aug 10, 2015
You can emulate Obj who made himself minister of petroleum throughout his tenure. Just keep copying, it is allowed but copy aright.

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Nobody: 4:02am On Aug 10, 2015
If he likes,he should take over the all positions for 4 yrs,as long as Nigeria is sailing the right way,is ok by me

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by kennyman2000(m): 4:04am On Aug 10, 2015
I dont blame Baba.. The kind of corruption in that section would even wanna make Baba handles all the positions in the NNPC alone if its possible.

Take your time sir.

All the very best!

Check my signature for ur customised wristband.

17 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Gracebegatme: 4:31am On Aug 10, 2015
It is certain that Buhari is the Moses of our time through which Nigeria will be delivered from every thing that represents Egypt,the Joshua that will take us to the promise land is who i dont know.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!
GOD BLESS PMB!
GOD BLESS PYO!

29 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by kossyablaze(m): 4:44am On Aug 10, 2015
In as much as I vividly support it,I ll say multi-tasking is so wrong going by his age.It will make him run down quickly.His health is my concern

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Flets: 4:51am On Aug 10, 2015
And what exactly is to be hailed about this move?

On what basis is this a good news?
Is Buhari a 2015 technocrat in oil and gas?
Is it the lack of trusted individuals or the lack of qualified technocrats that is driving this move?
What exactly does he intend to achieve in 18months, if he is good for 18months then he can do for four years.

The agricultural, manufacturing and power sectors need urgent attention. Buhari should start seeing beyond oil.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by dustmalik: 5:00am On Aug 10, 2015
I truly hope this news is true.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by biafranqueen: 5:18am On Aug 10, 2015
See gulliable goats above me ^^^^^^^^^^^
So a man that can't remember the name of his party, his Vice President or even where his so called certificate is will handle all the dealings of the oil ministry for 18 months that's 2 years cause he already wasted 4 months. Did we not learn from our mistakes with OBJ?
Zombie oooo Zombieooo!
These Doden Barrack Dullards will never give up trying to destroy this country....

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by jomoh: 5:40am On Aug 10, 2015
If you want a job well done, do it yourself.
Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by ubongutioh(m): 5:40am On Aug 10, 2015
All eyes on oil. Is it one of his campaign promise? After some people will say, 'Buhari doesn't like money'. Even GEJ had a pretroleum minister. How can a president hold two public offices?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by owobokiri(m): 5:51am On Aug 10, 2015
biafranqueen:
See gulliable goats above me ^^^^^^^^^^^
So a man that can't remember the name of his party, his Vice President or even where his so called certificate is will handle all the dealings of the oil ministry for 18 months that's 2 years cause he already wasted 4 months. Did we not learn from our mistakes with OBJ?
Zombie oooo Zombieooo!
These Doden Barrack Dullards will never give up trying to destroy this country....

Do we learn? Obasanjo handled that ministry for 7 years and we didn't see any tangible improvements. Things simply got worse. . Whatever makes Buhari think he knows modern oil business more than thousands of Nigerian technocrats schooled/skilled in this field beats me. .

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Horlawoomey(m): 5:55am On Aug 10, 2015
Not bad at all, desperate situation calls for desperate action.

Ride on Mr President. Wailers should continue wailing.

6 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by biafranqueen: 6:02am On Aug 10, 2015
owobokiri:

Do we learn? Obasanjo handled that ministry for 7 years and we didn't see any tangible improvements. Things simply got worse. . Whatever makes Buhari think he knows modern oil business more than thousands of Nigerian technocrats schooled/skilled in this field beats me. .
My Dear the complications of this industry is beyond cattle rearing his expertise. Imagining how he will sound at OPEC meeting? embarassed

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by aenero(m): 6:02am On Aug 10, 2015
Let him even stay there for the 4years he will be as president,and not let some already bloated man or woman drag the nation into another scandal

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by Biggty(m): 6:03am On Aug 10, 2015
That is a good one

1 Like

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by acunon: 6:41am On Aug 10, 2015
Another ultimate means to divert public funds. #babachopsmallnah!

6 Likes

Re: President Buhari To Head Ministry Of Petroleum For 18 Months: Punch by omowolewa: 6:49am On Aug 10, 2015
If this is true, that would be the first minister to be appointed, cabals in trouble.
PMB don't forget PIB please, you may find it useful on you road map to success.

Its a bill that the cabals and multinational Oil companies won't want to see.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki Loses Latest Attempt To Stop CCT Trial.... Pic Attached. / Mace Theft: DPO Of National Assembly Transfered To Yobe Over Arrest Of Suspects. / Despite Auctioning Vehicles, Lagosians Still Deliberately Flout Traffic Rules

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.