Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,835 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ (768 Views)

If Anything Happens To Me,ipob Will Close Your Lineage Same Day-Kanu Replies OBJ / I'm Not An Emperor, I Don’t Touch LGA Money – Oshiomhole Replies OBJ / Funeral Service: Casket HID Awolowo Was Laid In (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by 175(m): 7:52am On Aug 10, 2015
FORMER governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Osoba, has declared that the sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, was duly and unanimously elected and accepted as the leader of the Yoruba ethnic group, thus taking ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo to the cleaners over the latter’s comments about the sage not ever being the Yoruba leader. It will be recalled that in one of the national dailies (not Nigerian Tribune), Obasanjo was quoted as saying in his book, “My Watch,” that no individual (including Chief Awolowo) could be regarded as the leader of the Yoruba. In the report published on August 2, Obasanjo was quoted as saying that the supporters of the first Premier of the Western Region, Chief Awolowo, “fixed” the title of Yoruba leader on the sage during the civil war, at a meeting he (Awolowo) presided over. But in a swift reaction, Chief Osoba regarded Obasanjo’s comment as “blatant distortion of history,” saying Chief Awolowo was unanimously elected the Yoruba leader on August 12, 1966 in Ibadan, at a forum that had the who-was-who among the Yorubas and which was at the instance of the then acting military administrator of the Western Region, General Adeyinka Adebayo, who was then a Colonel. Osoba, who armed himself with photocopies of the Nigerian Daily Sketch of August 13, 1966, which he distributed to the media, including the Nigerian Tribune, and which had an headline that boldly read: “Awo elected leader of Yorubas,” said Obasanjo, as the Garrison Commander in Ibadan at the time, could not have forgotten all this in a hurry. He argued that opting to distorting facts and history with such false information as done by Obasanjo could denigrate the persona of the sage. “Forty nine years ago, precisely, August 12, 1966, I was present at the forum where Chief Obafemi Awolowo was unanimously elected the leader of Yorubas. “The election involved all stakeholders, including political and cultural intellectuals in Yorubaland. I have records to prove that Chief Obafemi Awolowo was elected aside the newspaper publications made after the election in Ibadan. “I disagree with ex-President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, on whatever claims he has that Awolowo was handpicked by some of his supporters,” he said. According to the ex-governor, at the event where Awolowo was elected as the Yoruba leader, there were people of diverse political interest and yet they all worked as one to make Chief Awolowo the Yoruba leader. “For instance, the late Dr Koye Majekodunmi has same political ideology as Awolowo, or late Chief T.O.S Benson, a staunch supporter of the late Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe till death, was part of Awolowo political family. I want everyone to know that Awolowo was released from prison two weeks before his election as leader of the Yorubas. “I will give you more facts. He was unanimously elected by all stakeholders. The governor of the Western Region at this time, General Adeyinka Adebayo; the first military administrator of the Western Region, on Tuesday, August 10, 1966 held meetings with intellectuals and activists. “The next day, which was 11th, he held meetings with the traditional rulers before the meeting of all stakeholders on August 12. On this day, there was not a dissenting voice against the election of Awolowo as the leader of the Yorubas. These are some of the facts; so I can never agree with Obasanjo,” he stated. When also commenting on Obasanjo’s claim that certain people, including late Chief Adisa Akinloye, did not accept Awolowo as the leader of the Yorubas, Osoba said “the late Chief Akinloye never kicked against the election of Awolowo; even until his death. He was one of the admirers of Awolowo. He was the one who coined the word ‘Afenifere.’ “I was close to Akinloye, even during his days in London where he exiled. He never disagreed with the fact that Awolowo must be respected as a person. “There is a difference between being members of different political parties and having respect for a particular person. For instance, when Aminu Kano was alive, he often visited the Sardauna of Sokoto for consultation, though they belonged to different political ideology. I don’t know why anyone should denigrate the reputation of Awolowo in death,” he said. . . . http://tribuneonlineng.com/awolowo-was-yoruba-leader-osoba-replies-obj
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by Bacteriocin(m): 7:52am On Aug 10, 2015
Abi
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by abobss(m): 7:53am On Aug 10, 2015
really? ?
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by EdCure: 7:54am On Aug 10, 2015
Tinubu is the current undisputed Yoruba leader.
The fear of Tinubu's influence propelled OBJ to make that statement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by Movesz(m): 7:56am On Aug 10, 2015
Awolowo is a snitch
175:
FORMER governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun
Osoba, has declared that the sage, Chief Obafemi
Awolowo, was duly and unanimously elected and
accepted as the leader of the Yoruba ethnic
group, thus taking ex-president Olusegun
Obasanjo to the cleaners over the latter’s
comments about the sage not ever being the
Yoruba leader.
It will be recalled that in one of the national
dailies (not Nigerian Tribune), Obasanjo was
quoted as saying in his book, “My Watch,” that no
individual (including Chief Awolowo) could be
regarded as the leader of the Yoruba.
In the report published on August 2, Obasanjo
was quoted as saying that the supporters of the
first Premier of the Western Region, Chief
Awolowo, “fixed” the title of Yoruba leader on the
sage during the civil war, at a meeting he
(Awolowo) presided over.
But in a swift reaction, Chief Osoba regarded
Obasanjo’s comment as “blatant distortion of
history,” saying Chief Awolowo was unanimously
elected the Yoruba leader on August 12, 1966 in
Ibadan, at a forum that had the who-was-who
among the Yorubas and which was at the
instance of the then acting military administrator
of the Western Region, General Adeyinka Adebayo,
who was then a Colonel.
Osoba, who armed himself with photocopies of
the Nigerian Daily Sketch of August 13, 1966,
which he distributed to the media, including the
Nigerian Tribune, and which had an headline that
boldly read: “Awo elected leader of Yorubas,” said
Obasanjo, as the Garrison Commander in Ibadan
at the time, could not have forgotten all this in a
hurry.
He argued that opting to distorting facts and
history with such false information as done by
Obasanjo could denigrate the persona of the sage.
“Forty nine years ago, precisely, August 12, 1966,
I was present at the forum where Chief Obafemi
Awolowo was unanimously elected the leader of
Yorubas.
“The election involved all stakeholders, including
political and cultural intellectuals in Yorubaland. I
have records to prove that Chief Obafemi
Awolowo was elected aside the newspaper
publications made after the election in Ibadan.
“I disagree with ex-President, Chief Olusegun
Obasanjo, on whatever claims he has that
Awolowo was handpicked by some of his
supporters,” he said.
According to the ex-governor, at the event where
Awolowo was elected as the Yoruba leader, there
were people of diverse political interest and yet
they all worked as one to make Chief Awolowo
the Yoruba leader.
“For instance, the late Dr Koye Majekodunmi has
same political ideology as Awolowo, or late Chief
T.O.S Benson, a staunch supporter of the late
Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe till death, was part of
Awolowo political family. I want everyone to know
that Awolowo was released from prison two
weeks before his election as leader of the
Yorubas.
“I will give you more facts. He was unanimously
elected by all stakeholders. The governor of the
Western Region at this time, General Adeyinka
Adebayo; the first military administrator of the
Western Region, on Tuesday, August 10, 1966
held meetings with intellectuals and activists.
“The next day, which was 11th, he held meetings
with the traditional rulers before the meeting of
all stakeholders on August 12. On this day, there
was not a dissenting voice against the election of
Awolowo as the leader of the Yorubas. These are
some of the facts; so I can never agree with
Obasanjo,” he stated.
When also commenting on Obasanjo’s claim that
certain people, including late Chief Adisa Akinloye,
did not accept Awolowo as the leader of the
Yorubas, Osoba said “the late Chief Akinloye
never kicked against the election of Awolowo;
even until his death. He was one of the admirers
of Awolowo. He was the one who coined the word
‘Afenifere.’
“I was close to Akinloye, even during his days in
London where he exiled. He never disagreed with
the fact that Awolowo must be respected as a
person.
“There is a difference between being members of
different political parties and having respect for a
particular person. For instance, when Aminu Kano
was alive, he often visited the Sardauna of
Sokoto for consultation, though they belonged to
different political ideology. I don’t know why
anyone should denigrate the reputation of
Awolowo in death,” he said.
http://tribuneonlineng.com/awolowo-was-yoruba-leader-osoba-replies-obj
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by dejavski(m): 8:01am On Aug 10, 2015
Awolowo was a leader of the southwest geopolitical zone not a Yoruba leader angry

Don't mix it up
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by saintgp(m): 8:03am On Aug 10, 2015
In my opinion i think dis information is meant for d gullible nigerians dat spend dia time listening/believing d rubbish d usually comes out of obj.
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by kennyman2000(m): 8:09am On Aug 10, 2015
OBJ...
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:15am On Aug 10, 2015
OBJ was never talking of Awolowo...Osoba shld stop trying to be relevant.
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by hinwazaka: 8:37am On Aug 10, 2015
List of disastrous leaders we never had
* Awolowo
* Samuel Akintola
* Gen Ogundipe
* MKO
* Falae
* Gain Fawehmi
* Tinubu
* Fashola
Re: Awolowo Was Yoruba Leader, Osoba Replies OBJ by 175(m): 8:44am On Aug 10, 2015
hinwazaka:
List of disastrous leaders we never had * Awolowo * Samuel Akintola * Gen Ogundipe * MKO * Falae * Gain Fawehmi * Tinubu * Fashola
Are u being tribalistic. . .oya take one dosage of sense and run along!

(1) (Reply)

A Saraki-Tinubu Rapprochement, With The Common Goal Of Checkmating Buhari / Obasanjo Is A Liar & Economic Illiterate - Wole Soyinka / New Name For Pmb Supporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.