Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,165 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Self Medication: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (INTERVIEW) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Self Medication: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (INTERVIEW) (684 Views)

Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects / 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! / Beware Of The Bad Postures And Save Yourself From Chronic Body Pain!! (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self Medication: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (INTERVIEW) by nairaroot1: 3:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
A number of Nigerians are guilty of this practices from taking analgesics or just a switch of local herbal brew just to self medicate on health issues, but something I’d ask is it good to play doctor or could there be dare consequences after all, after all I know my body and sometimes is better than the doctor some people would say.

TALK NIGERIA WITH Bukola Ajiboye- on 102.3 fm Radio Continental
Topic: Self medication: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Guest: Pharmacist Olugbenga Olubowale
(Chairman Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria, Lagos State Branch)

bukkyAjoboye

Original Transcription of this interview exclusively done by www.nairaroot.com

A number of Nigerians are guilty of this practices from taking analgesics or just a switch of local herbal brew just to self medicate on health issues, but something I’d ask is it good to play doctor or could there be dare consequences after all, after all I know my body and sometimes is better than the doctor some people would say. So could I be wrong? Where do I actually draw the line from seeing the doctor and actually know what to do in any situation. That’s our focus for this morning “self medication: the good, the bad, and the ugly”. And here with me is pharmacist Gbenga Olubowale, he’s here to give us insight to self medication. Good morning, how do you do?

Gbenga Olubowale: Good morning, I’m good.

Bukola: Ok, so we’ve got pharmacist Gbenga Olubowale in the studio, he’s the chairman pharmaceuticals society of Nigeria, Lagos state branch. Thank you so much for joining us.

Gbenga Olubowale: Thank you very much.

Bukola: So you can hear us loud and clear right?

Gbenga Olubowale: Yes, I can hear

Bukola: I just shared this morning for a lot of us we are guilty of this practice, quickly an analgesic is just nearby, herbal brew which they sell call “agbo”. It’s so popular on the street, all you have to do is call somebody and you get to hear what’s going on, so you’ll understand. Basically, I’m asking if there are dare consequences when you self medicate. And is it wrong when you self medicate in the first place?

Gbenga Olubowale: Yes. Well maybe we should first and foremost start with what self medication really is. And self medication as been defined as the selection and usage of medicines by individuals to treat self recognized or self diagnosed conditions or symptoms. So in this case, it is clearly seen that self medication is a conscious effort made by individual to self medicate. Yes there are some good usages of this, if the boundary is not overstepped. But the disadvantages quite overweigh the disadvantages because if you talk about the advantages, what this simply means is that when you self medicate for simple condition,

Bukola: (cuts in) Such as?

Gbenga Olubowale: Maybe such as mild headache, mild feeling of tiredness. If you walk into a pharmacy where you can pick some of this simple we tag them “over the counter” OTC medications. You can use this easily and you get relieved but then, most of these simple medications too they will clearly tell you if you have them for 2-3 days and you are not getting relieved please consult your care givers.

Bukola: Isn’t that way of saying yes to self medication by that itself?

COMPLETE THE INTERVIEW CLICK HERE [url][/url] http://www.nairaroot.com/self-medication-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/#.VciyDciL3IU

Re: Self Medication: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (INTERVIEW) by Unsad(m): 3:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
Masturbation comes to mind
Re: Self Medication: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (INTERVIEW) by ladyF(f): 3:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
Eeyah
Re: Self Medication: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (INTERVIEW) by SeXistBaStaRd(m): 3:25pm On Aug 10, 2015
undecided

(1) (Reply)

. / Guys: 4 Things You Do That Destroys Your Sp Erm Including Riding A Bike / Few Tips To Keeping A Healthy Hair...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.