Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects (25736 Views)

What Self-medication Did To A UNIPORT Graduate / Abraham Okodugha: Self Medication Affects UNIPORT Graduate (Graphic Photos) / 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by bloomstar: 7:48am On May 13, 2018
self medication means to take medicines without a doctor’s prescription, dangers of self medication is numerous, and are briefly explained in this post.

When we feel a little pain, fever, headache, or any minor restlessness then we use medicines especially tablets or syrups commonly.
However, there are certain reasons for self-medication, most of people who are living far away from the hospital, doctor or medical center tends to self medicated them selves since they are out of reach of health centers, that is why it is crucially important for governments to provide health facilities in different places.

people take self-medication often or occasionally, the patients hesitate to pay the fees to doctor then they take self-medication.
When they feel relief after taking self-medication, then they consult the doctors.
most of the drugs being abused today include painkillers, antibiotics (most dangerous),antipyrectic drugs, etc

Dangers of self medication

self-medication is very dangerous which cannot let you to survive through the illness, this shows that dangers of self medication is greater than the positive aspect

Moreover, it becomes very difficult for them to diagnose the self-medication patients since the drug they take have both negative and positive effects on the body, making the major disease or health problem unable to be diagnosed.

When someone takes self-medication, usually takes more or less medicines than the recommended dosage, it causes a lot of health disorders that ranges from reactions, seizures or liver problems, because of the intoxication reaction of the liver.

In certain cases they take drugs with toxic substances which is very harsh. Self-medication has harmful effects on health

Today there is a list of drugs which can not to be offered to the patients without medical prescription.

Furthermore, self-medication is boosting rapidly. It is incumbent and important to inform the people about the harmful consequences of self-medication so they know the consequences of their action.

some antibiotics when taken out of prescriptions, its either taken in low dosage, making the bacteria infections to become immune to the antibiotic, this makes the bacteria infection hard to be cleared even after proper diagnosis because the patient has made the bacteria strong enough to withstand the effects of the antibiotics

Many people take paracetamol more often to cool of their headache, not knowing that headache is not a sickness, that its a symptom of an underlying sickness, which will go when the main sickness in the body is treated, taking paracetamol will not stop it.

Both doctors and government can play a very positive role in eradicating self-medication, and government should update the list of drugs which should not be given without any medical prescription which will help us to prevent self-medication.

source: http://generalhealthinfo.com/2018/01/08/effects-dangers-self-medication-know/

cc: lalasticlala,

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by carpmam: 3:29pm On May 13, 2018
Almost all the Hausa aboki's self medicate, from codeine to tramadol, lizard poo, and rofnol.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Alejoc(m): 3:29pm On May 13, 2018
I pray they can abide o o angry sad
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Pharmchy: 3:30pm On May 13, 2018
Hmm

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by mightyhazell: 3:30pm On May 13, 2018
most antibiotics and even antimalarials have turned useless due to rampant abuse/ incomplete dosage.
dereby leading to constant illnesses and den more abuses... a fatal vicious cycle dat cud harm vital organs

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by kokakola: 3:30pm On May 13, 2018
Does it pertains to Agbo jedi jedi and Dogoyaro?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by dmbb: 3:30pm On May 13, 2018
All what I care is Buhari 2019 Insha Allah

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by vincentjk(m): 3:31pm On May 13, 2018
Noted

Today, my ex girlfriend sent me a video of herself and her boyfriend having sex so dat it can hurt me....
I immediately forwarded the video to her father....
Av been relaxing since den..... grin grin grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 13, 2018
Majority of people self medicate including the OP. Why?

Because there no working health sector in the country. In fact many of us know more drugs than some pharmacists. We even go as far as prescribing drugs for others without seeing the inside walls of a medical school.

That's why some people will be treating an undetected brain tumor with Panadol Extra for years. When they finally die, we'll be shouting 'village people' up and down.

12 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by kolawoleibukun1: 3:32pm On May 13, 2018
does self medication include the prayers, waters and oil that pastors give to people against doctor's prescription? is self medication not better than the acids that pastors and imams bathe people with and the give them to drink? what you should be talking about is the fake drugs that are sold in the market not the way people take it. in many countries you find it difficult to lay your hands on harmful drugs. shiitholes they must find how to blame other people for their own failings.

5 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Ghostmode2two(m): 3:32pm On May 13, 2018
Something must kill a man OP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Pavore9: 3:33pm On May 13, 2018
Self-medication is cheaper and deadly.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by timwudz(m): 3:33pm On May 13, 2018
jose4shizzle:
FTC.
U say?
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by presentley: 3:33pm On May 13, 2018
What I don't understand is why healthcare practitioners classify going to a qualified pharmacist for prescription as self medication. So I have cough and cattarh now I should go to the hospital and get charged additional bill as consultation? Nehi

4 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Trustme2(m): 3:34pm On May 13, 2018
grin grin grin
jose4shizzle:
FTC.
Sorry o Try again next time
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by eleojo23: 3:34pm On May 13, 2018
Good info
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by nkul: 3:34pm On May 13, 2018
Nigerians have been surviving through self medication for millions of years. Do we have suitable health care system? the answer is a big NO... we have been surviving on self medication and prayers

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by bettercreature(m): 3:35pm On May 13, 2018
Nonsense! I have been treating myself for the past 25years. No one will tell you to go to the hospital if it’s very serious

4 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by shamecurls(m): 3:35pm On May 13, 2018
Thank God is only codeine I administer

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by emmyid(m): 3:37pm On May 13, 2018
Well, nice advice OP! But eh, as a typical Nigerian who was born into a lower class Naija family, we've been surviving on self medication since time immemorial.

Even God understands!

Shebi is money I will use to see a professional? What if the money no come de?

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Charly68: 3:38pm On May 13, 2018
bettercreature:
Nonsense! I have been treating myself for the past 25years No one will tell you to go to the hospital if it’s very serious
Add 15 to it ..to guess when I have been on self medication ..no Doctor in our village and man must live & not die..God knows how he heals us jare

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by AgentGoat: 3:39pm On May 13, 2018
People no go hear
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:39pm On May 13, 2018
I hope they listen......
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by nifesi01(f): 3:44pm On May 13, 2018
presentley:
What I don't understand is why healthcare practitioners classify going to a qualified pharmacist for prescription as self medication. So I have cough and cattarh now I should go to the hospital and get charged additional bill as consultation? Nehi

That's because the person you called qualified may not run a test on you to know exactly what is wrong with you, cough and cattarrh are symptoms of disease not until they know what causes that cough and cattarrh any drug you use without being medically tested is self meditation

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by nifesi01(f): 3:47pm On May 13, 2018
bettercreature:
Nonsense! I have been treating myself for the past 25years. No one will tell you to go to the hospital if it’s very serious

What you don't get there is that it won't come in a day, it accumulates gradually unnoticed
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by mohiozua(m): 3:51pm On May 13, 2018
shamecurls:
Thank God is only codeine I administer

��������

Very funny! Mr Pharmacist lol
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Maket: 3:54pm On May 13, 2018
When you self medicate, it leads to drug resistance as the require dose is not always taken.
When the problem is not solved and you go to hospital, the cost of treatment will be higher because it will need the dose above the normal. These still self medicating themselves need to read more about
Subtherapeutic
Therapeutic
Supratherapeutic dose of drug.
Op, Collect market favour.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by CarlosTheJackal: 3:57pm On May 13, 2018
i self medicate because most of these hospitals give you cheap drugs because of they want to make profit
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Jman06(m): 3:58pm On May 13, 2018
presentley:
Going to a Pharmacist for your cold and catarrh is not self medication. Pharmacists are trained enough to handle such ailments and make referrals to a physician if need be. The issue is, do you go to pharmacy to get the drugs or to a patent medicine store Again, when you go to a pharmacy, do you insist on seeing a pharmacist If you get your drugs from pharmacists in pharmacies, you would get expert prescriptions and counseling better than what you get when you go to some clinics, and that cannot be described as self medication.

Always insist on seeing a pharmacist when you go to buy drugs.

6 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by presentley: 4:12pm On May 13, 2018
nifesi01:

That's because the person you called qualified may not run a test on you to know exactly what is wrong with you, cough and cattarrh are symptoms of disease not until they know what causes that cough and cattarrh any drug you use with being medically tested is self meditation
Not even they may not, they won't. So do you self medicate or not? Do you go visiting your physician each time you have a mild headache(not recurring headache)?
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 13, 2018
kolawoleibukun1:
does self medication include the prayers, waters and oil that pastors give to people against doctor's prescription? is self medication not better than the acids that pastors and imams bathe people with and the give them to drink? what you should be talking about is the fake drugs that are sold in the market not the way people take it. in many countries you find it difficult to lay your hands on harmful drugs. shiitholes they must find how to blame other people for their own failings.
Self medication has to do with all forms of medication, whether harmful or harmless. Every drug can become harmful when taken inappropriately, even the said harmless drugs. An example is someone that has Peptic Ulcer disease who goes ahead to take Ibuprofen/Aspirin/Diclofenac for body pains and then starts passing out blood through the anus. The above drugs are over the counter medications but when taken inappropriately or by the wrong person, they can cause serious damage.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 5 Deadly Diseases You Don't Know Exist / Three COVID-19 Patients Die In Sokoto / Spiritual Effect Of Having Sex During Menstruation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.