Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! (24297 Views)

The Bad State Of Ideato Health Center In My Community, Imo State / Having Problems With Nail Biting? Check How To Stop It / 10 Effects Of Alcohol on The Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Debolala(f): 8:15am On Jun 20, 2017
Hello, do you bite your nail unconsciously? Do you go out and feel embarrassed at the look of your ugly sore nails? Or are you always sad at the injury or the blood you see after biting? Nail biting, which is also called onychophagia, is that the act of putting ones fingers in the mouth and biting/chewing on nails with the teeth.

Many begin this unconscious act from childhood and sometimes it graduates into adulthood. Although many people do one thing or the other, like reading a book, sitting alone or chatting with friends when biting the bails, nail biting is harmful to the health.

Various researches have shown the handful effects of nail biting, an act which is commonly practised during idleness, loneliness, boredom, stress, or depression. While some tag this act as a "bad habit," it is considered an impulsive control disorder - a compulsive habit where one cannot the urge and action to bite their nails.

This action should be paid close attention, especially when it gets to an high level of severity, as it affects one both physically and emotionally. The fingers which nails are bitten is much more vulnerable to viruses and bacteria than others. Imagine the diseases causing agents that can be immediately and easily transported from the fingers via the mouth into the body.

4 effects of nail biting and reasons you need to stop it

1. Dental injury;
Nail biting can cause numerous dental issues. This habit can lead to damages to your front teeth and gum tissue. Fingernail-biting habit causes dental injury which may cause a lot of serious complication, namely, gingival abscess.

2. Oral Infection;
As said earlier, the nails is a potential area for harmful microorganisms like bacteria and viruses, and when you bite - you risk unhindered transfer of diseases into your body.

3. Nail Infections;
By biting the nails, you leave room for tears in the skin around the nail. This will result to soreness, redness and swelling of the finger. This can also enable the entry of harmful germs that can cause infections.

4. Harm To Nail Beds;
Nail biting can cause harm to nail beds. Deformities like irreversible nail shortening are commonly associated with nail biting.

How to prevent Nail Biting
1. Proper self management: Nail biting may be as a result of inactivity, so you should change that by properly managing yourself.
2. Keep the nails short always to curtail the urge biting it.
3. Try to resist the urge to move carry your arms towards the face or lips.
4. Apply bitter-tasting nail polish to your nail. The bitter taste will prevent you from biting the nails.
5. Therapy which will determine the psychological cause of the habit and try to get rid of it.

It is now clear that the effects of nail biting is harmful and can leave one more depressed and embarrassed in public. Stop the bad habit today!

I hope this helps? Stay healthy fellas.

Source: http://www.rapportnaija.com/2016/06/effects-of-nail-biting-stop-bad-habit.html

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 20, 2017
I'm guilty of this.

Noted.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 20, 2017
I think I'm guilty. Most of my friends started growing finger recently.. It looked cute so I wanted to grow mine but unfortunately, I keep biting them off. It's more like an involuntary action.. SMH

36 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 20, 2017
I just finish biting my nails
Ooo see I just bit it again
Didn't know wat to type
Now am biting my nails wondering what d person quoting me would say !!

10 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Camlot000007: 10:52am On Jun 20, 2017
I only bite nails when I lose a beautiful lady contact

6 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Quinn22(f): 10:52am On Jun 20, 2017
There's nothing wrong with nail biting na embarassed

7 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by IwillSucced(m): 10:53am On Jun 20, 2017
Two days later, other health bloggers like fitnessdoctor will come and say that we should bite our nails to keep us busy..

Just like they said that if you eat fried potatoes more than 2 o 3 times a week, then you will not live long..

Fitnessdoctor come and talk here ooooo before una kill us

3 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by foolishsouth: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
me too
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Kemy11(m): 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
If this one dey kill pesin, I for don die teh teh. Next!!!!!!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by felo812000(m): 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
Is the lady not wearing anything or ...? cos I cant concentrate on her fingers oo grin grin grin grin
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
A nine inch nails is hard to bite

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by bastien: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
Who e don kill? Our forefathers bite am tire yet they live pass us, OP face Lagos o

1 Like

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Agbaletu: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
It is too late for me. I can't drop this habit.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by mrsbakare0000: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
Ha! Childish stuffs...
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Tenno(m): 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
Okay
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
I just bit my nails..m I can only relate to Number 4 # team happy nail biters#
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by fergie001: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2017
Agbaya,at my age...am guilty of this.
My mum did all she could,but this bad habit still remains,improvement dey these days sha. grin
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by drsteroid(m): 10:55am On Jun 20, 2017
Nail biting is part of me,don't think I can ever stop..I believe I got it from my mum.I have never cut my finger nails with nail cutter smiley.I bite my nails when driving sef

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by girlhaley(f): 10:55am On Jun 20, 2017
I bite my nails immediately I saw this thread cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by henryskywalker2003(m): 10:55am On Jun 20, 2017
Been nail biting for more than 20 years and never had those. There are many other factors that you fail to consider, personal and dental hygiene to name a few. How can biting stuff as soft as nails give u dental injury when we eat harder stuff like bones.

8 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by NwaAmaikpe: 10:56am On Jun 20, 2017
shocked

It has no bad effect OP stop misleading people.

Abeg if you don't have food and you are hungry, chew your nails...it's very rich in protein and Calcium.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by trumpclinton247: 10:56am On Jun 20, 2017
please i need this bitter tasting polish...any suggestion where i can get it....am a guy and disturbed about this habit
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 10:56am On Jun 20, 2017
LORD KNOW'S I AINT GUILTY OF THIS

2 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by ademoladeji(m): 10:56am On Jun 20, 2017
24sqm:
I'm guilty of this.

Noted.

Just finished with the 7th finger...

Shameless me.... lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by samJ17(m): 10:56am On Jun 20, 2017
my biting my nails as am reading this ryt nw, very helpful

2 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by itamaga1: 10:58am On Jun 20, 2017
I dey chop am as I dey

1 Like

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Precious91(m): 10:58am On Jun 20, 2017
Scary
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by fatymore(f): 10:59am On Jun 20, 2017
I hate biting my nails.. Once I mistakenly does that... I have cough and sore throat... So for me it a no no
Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by Choiszman(m): 11:00am On Jun 20, 2017
But Op i can't help it

It tastes like Milk

4 Likes

Re: 4 Effects Of Nail Biting! Stop The Bad Habit Today! by HopeAtHand: 11:01am On Jun 20, 2017
Mine is so bad my pastor then at RCCG had to preach about bad habits and mentioned nail biting. He was preaching and looking directly at me at the front row, yet i couldnt resist the urge to bite my nails right in front of him.

After the service sha, i left RCCG for Winners chapel. Biting must go on. Its been a habit since i was a child, im sure i will grow old and die with it.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Their Cure For Kiloid At The Back Of The Head Or Neck? / Reliability and Availability Of HIV Treatment In Nigeria / Bauchi: Illegal Abortions Responsible For Mysterious Deaths In Azare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.