Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,251 members, 7,953,939 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:25 AM

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard (65349 Views)

Firstbank ATMs – Accounts For 37% Of Bills Payment Services On ATMs In Nigeria / CBN Reviews Limits On Mobile Money Transaction, Balance / Banks Reduce Lending To Economy By N292bn In Q2 – Nbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 11, 2015
Mrchippychappy:

Why don't they place these ridiculous restrictions on politicians, public office holders and their associates? Wetin concern average Nigerians and cash limitation? The FG would probably say that the cash withdrawal limitation is another way of fighting corruption. besides the article talks about limiting NAIRA cash withdrawals. Another blunder from the new administration.

Well...the article also talked about foreign transactions being limited to 300 dollars US daily.

Hence my comment about limiting dollars leaving the country. (In case you did not know...you can buy things from abroad here in Nigeria using your card.).

And yes....the govt is going after corrupt people. But that is going to take a long time...and knowing how Nigerians love to protest when their brother or sister is being prosecuted for corruption.(He is innocent....when he has stolen millions in dollars).And there may be limits brought on public officers...Buhari has ended the official govt delegation to the hajj. He better do so by the way.....or else he is not serious.

But in my opinion, even if this APC or assuming GEJ won....PDP went after all the corrupt people and got the cash back in full....it may stave off the evil day. Take Saudi. When the times were good...Saudi saved massively. When the oil price dropped initially....Saudi said No shaking. Now...they are talking or increasing taxes, and removing their fuel subsidy.Same thing with the UAE too.

Nigeria has to get off oil.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by asha01: 8:36am On Aug 11, 2015
ELVISHOT:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/banks-reduce-withdrawal-limits-on-atms/

well are only returning to old ways, this is what it used to be before now.
just like we returning to Buhari government like in the 80s.
sai baba
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 11, 2015
simplynola:
I need N300,000, i will withdraw for five days affecting my entire business that's expected to add value to the economy, if am using another bank ATM i will cough out N65 extra for five days. On another hand, wear and tear on the ATM machine all because of all these CBN textbook policies. Clueless People.

Get a chequebook.

You would be ok.

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by persius555(m): 8:39am On Aug 11, 2015
The CBN missed it on this one. Gradual slow down of economic activity is what is staring us in the face. This is not good for a thriving economy like ours.

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Missmossy(f): 8:40am On Aug 11, 2015
Doesn't make much of sense!!!

If you ask me.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Icecomrade: 8:40am On Aug 11, 2015
BizBayo:

Hahahaha, nice observation. But it still a very good policy. I hope people will see reason to start using electronic payment.

Some customers don't want to hear e-banking
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by solonazzy: 8:41am On Aug 11, 2015
fatdon2:
The new CBN man is brainless , I thought we where moving to a cashless economy. Now people will prefer to have their money kept in
their homes. Bcus withdrawing above the counter also has its limit and charges are applied. Now ATM has its daily limit. So in other word they reducing the purchasing power of us and hereby allowing us to have our money in our home saves. Bad policies.
I've never been a fan of d man,bt dnt u think dey weighed Dis disadvantage?...n den concluded to go ahead with it cos of its supposed advantage....n I can guess its for d short run...u might b d brainless 1 afterall

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:41am On Aug 11, 2015
asha01:

well are only returning to old ways, this is what it used to be before now.
just like we returning to Buhari government like in the 80s.
sai baba

We are in the old days....but not because of buhari....because oil prices have fallen....and partly because your darling PDP govt did not save enough cash last time out.

But....even if cash was saved....we would have been still putting off the evil day. Countries that saved cash in abundance....are now increasing taxes , and ending fuel subsidies.

Simply put.....Buhari needs to diversify the economy away from oil.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by ebosse(m): 8:43am On Aug 11, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I tell ya.

But still....in fairness to the banks...Nigeria really is a risky place to do business. See the recent debtors lists posted in the dailies. Banks have so many people owing them ........and they still need cash to run. Banks also spend millions on generators, inverters, etc....just to keep operations running. And they have to pay their staff good salaries(so that the staff do not steal cash from the till occasionally grin).And there are the high security costs too.

Guess where the money to do all that comes from.

TRUE!

But....

Think of it this way --- there are very very very few of us using internet banking . a lot of ppl wouldn't mind being on a queue , time wasted but money saved. So really banks aren't making a lot from internet banking. I can bet everything i have that if charges are reduce to as low as #10 a transaction every1 with access to internet will prefer/patronize mobile banking, meaning the amount of patrons will be raised to about x1000, less charges but more profit for the banks.

i believe most ppl are aware about internet banking but are put off by the charges.

#MyOpinion
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by more4rm9ja: 8:44am On Aug 11, 2015
chrisviral:
Sorry, but you're passing an old and wrong information.
According to the recent message from my bank, it has been revised to around 2000 dollars per month with the option of using it all in one day (and waiting till the next month) and about 3 million NGN over POS (same rule applies)

Thank you.
grin werey, that's a crazy siggy you got right there.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by dustydee: 8:51am On Aug 11, 2015
repogirl:
Tightening of the whole economy....

Is this sustainable? I hope so.
I think this is temporary. I suspect it is a move to stop some people from siphoning stolen funds out of the country pending investigations into their financial conduct. The measures are uncomfortable especially for genuine users/shoppers.
The restrictions will be lifted sometime as I don't see it as sustainable for long.

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by chigoizie7(m): 9:01am On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmmmmmmmmmm,nawa ooh,

Naija which way?

So, like this wey I wan pay rent,na 5days I go withdraw?

Na only scammers and yahoo bois wey de do local this thing go affect badly, bad market!!!!!

But its not helping the economy one bit.

1 Like

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by tuniski: 9:01am On Aug 11, 2015
chrisviral:
Sorry, but you're passing an old and wrong information.
According to the recent message from my bank, it has been revised to around 2000 dollars per month with the option of using it all in one day (and waiting till the next month) and about 3 million NGN over POS (same rule applies)

Thank you.
nonsense policy and highly retrogressive. Well this is change as we are seeing it.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by repogirl(f): 9:05am On Aug 11, 2015
dustydee:

I think this is temporary. I suspect it is a move to stop some people from siphoning stolen funds out of the country pending investigations into their financial conduct. The measures are uncomfortable especially for genuine users/shoppers.
The restrictions will be lifted sometime as I don't see it as sustainable for long.
makes sense.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Visocrate(m): 9:06am On Aug 11, 2015
instead of these people to go and consult professional economist to tell them what to do to consolidate the naira as it is falling down like a chlorotic necrotized leaf from the tree they are hia making life uncomfortable for me
Emefiele why ? is this going to make N1=1dollardino
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 11, 2015
Elxandre:
So, say I need a gadget from Ebay worth $600, I can no longer get it?
Why are there still stuff worth over 60k on Konga if I really can't pay for them anymore

Please break it down to the language I can understand ooo..

Baba Sunday, please make me one strong wooden box with ten German padlocks, e be like say Bank don tire me tongue
Why not metal box tongue ?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by chigomiced: 9:21am On Aug 11, 2015
ebosse:

evolve? bro, i use internet banking a lot and for every transaction #105 is deducted from my account. Banks are actually ripping Nigerians off with this internet banking. They should consider reducing the charges then I'm sure Nigerians wouldn't think twice about it.

i see your point but the advantages of online banking outweighs the dis-advantages..... in this our age of bokoharam and sorts..... wink
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by ojnnaco(m): 9:25am On Aug 11, 2015
MrCuddles:
Those that don't have anything in their account are the ones that will start making noise and booking space, just watch.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by jwils(m): 9:27am On Aug 11, 2015
Where is Barcanista to help us prove the futility of this move by CBN undecided
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:28am On Aug 11, 2015
fatdon2:
The new CBN man is brainless , I thought we where moving to a cashless economy. Now people will prefer to have their money kept in
their homes. Bcus withdrawing above the counter also has its limit and charges are applied. Now ATM has its daily limit. So in other word they reducing the purchasing power of us and hereby allowing us to have our money in our home saves. Bad policies.

Oga, go counter for bank, dem go giv u ur 500k withdrawal... dem fit jus flag u sha, manager fit call u into office dey ask y u dey move such amount....
...and efcc go dey monitor d acc if u do dah kind tin 2-4times consecutively grin grin
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by ndidibabe(f): 9:30am On Aug 11, 2015
fatdon2:
Very very bad policy. I remember when I was doing my masters in the UK, the school allowed five months' installment payment of the tuition using mastercard. Likewise, most UK universities. With this new policy, anyone planning to study in the UK has to part with at least N3,500,000 yearly using the A form.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Youngzedd(m): 9:42am On Aug 11, 2015
MrCuddles:
Those that don't have anything in their account are the ones that will start making noise and booking space, just watch.

grin grin grin
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 11, 2015
jamesbridget13:
Thats y i love my mobile banking Online; surely d best
What is Bj as written on your signature?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by jamesbridget13(f): 9:45am On Aug 11, 2015
RedBenson:

What is Bj as written on your signature?
my initials. Any issue?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by ignis: 9:49am On Aug 11, 2015
The should have made it maximum of 20,000 per day
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by tunergy(m): 9:49am On Aug 11, 2015
Sunkoye please sir your analysis is needed here.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 11, 2015
fatdon2:
We are in for a very hard time in this couintry. The CBN's policy is highly counterproductive. I have been shouting that this man and oga Buhari are about ruining our economy. Jesus
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 11, 2015
jamesbridget13:
my initials. Any issue?

Well, initials should be JB=JamesBriget, but yours is the other way round. You sure they are basically for your initials?
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by 989900: 9:52am On Aug 11, 2015
Excess liquidity; sponsored by the FG/CBN of which the banks are beneficiaries, is the number one factor killing the Naira -- they know it.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by kodded(m): 9:54am On Aug 11, 2015
barcanista:
We are in for a very hard time in this couintry. The CBN's policy is highly counterproductive. I have been shouting that this man and oga Buhari are about ruining our economy. Jesus
hmmmm

keeping money at home

good news for arm robbers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 11, 2015
ndidibabe:
Very very bad policy. I remember when I was doing my masters in the UK, the school allowed five months' installment payment of the tuition using mastercard. Likewise, most UK universities. With this new policy, anyone planning to study in the UK has to part with at least N3,500,000 yearly using the A form.
@Ndidi what do you expect from a man that has lost touch with economic realities? I just can't fathom the reason behind this policy.
Re: Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard by AGB7(m): 9:56am On Aug 11, 2015
This is good.
Dollar demand by nigerians these days is really high (for the literate ones, you sure should understand what i mean).
Summary: CBN is only trying to contain the adverse effect on increasing pressure on the naira as a result increasing dollar demand. We all know that for the dollar to be effective in the Nigerian economy, it must make reference ro the naira. Also, for the naira to relevant in the international market, it must make reference to the dollar. These two currencies must balance up on the international economic platform using their official exchange rates; this picture becomes clear if you understand what it means for 1 dollar to equal 230 naira, or so. Now, due to an ever increasing demand for the dollar, the naira must continually give more and more of itself to balance up, creating the need to pumped out more naira physically or electronically. Of course this really bad, resulting not only in inflation but also a devaluing. Where the a shortages or loses in supply, dollar gains and naira plummets. And if this is not continually checked, belief me, the naira will continue to go down except...
Its not that the CBN is not trying. It is because dollar demand is really high and so the naira is always forced to succumb, hence this new strategy aimed to check naira/dollar spending.
Of course this common knowledge, only clothed in clearer, more beautiful words ( remember our SS3 economics). However, i would like to call it NAIRA/DOLLAR 101.
Thanks for your Likes and Shares.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Despite The Economic Woes You Still Have No Time To Start A Home Based Business? / How To Start Ankara Fabrics Business in Nigeria / Is Folarin Alakija & Nazanin Jafarian's White Wedding The Most Lavish Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.