Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,352 members, 7,812,004 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court (1044 Views)

My Proposed Domain Name Is Taken: Which One Should I Go For? / 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging / .com Or .com.ng Which Should I Go For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Cordova: 9:40am On Aug 12, 2015
Fellow web masters,

I strongly need your advice on this issue.

I develop a site for a client about a year ago and sometimes this month the domain got expired and there is a need for a renewal. I could not contact the client before the expiry date, but later when I contacted them, they requested me to renew it for them. Unfortunately, someone else have registered the domain immediately after the expiry (within 24 hours).

I discussed with the domain registrar who I know usually retain expired domain for 1 month before letting it go. But they told me there is nothing they can do with it. I did a lookup on the domain, I realized they did the registration for another person (whose identity I have not discovered).

While trying to explain to my client, they became furious and threatened to go to court because they claim I should have notified them before the expiration. The whole of the business is attached to the email. They closed so many big deals which they are waiting for some responses.

Please what do you think I can do in this situation

I need your advice
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Cordova: 10:04am On Aug 12, 2015
Need an advice pls
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by 100ksalescom(m): 11:32am On Aug 12, 2015
Cordova:
Need an advice pls

What was the contract signed between you and the coy? If you are in charge of maintaining/managing the site then you don enter wahala be that.
If they contacted you then it means you have been the one managing the site for them, so how much will it take you to pay for a just domain name? max $14 so why did you have to wait for the company to contact you 1st.

Try and contact the new owner and plead with him or possibly buy it from the new owner.
My brother, court case might cost you more than buying the name from the new owner so be wise about it.
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 12, 2015
Is the domain name copyrighted? ie is it the name of a registered Nigerian company? If not then there's nothing you can do about it if yes sue them for copyright related crime.
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Cordova: 3:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
100ksalescom:

What was the contract signed between you and the coy? If you are in charge of maintaining/managing the site then you don enter wahala be that.
If they contacted you then it means you have been the one managing the site for them, so how much will it take you to pay for a just domain name? max $14 so why did you have to wait for the company to contact you 1st.

Try and contact the new owner and plead with him or possibly buy it from the new owner.
My brother, court case might cost you more than buying the name from the new owner so be wise about it.

Although there is no official document signed between the 2 of us but because I designed the site and I av been doing some update for them before now.

I have tried to do serious search on the person that register the domain but I could not get his contact. I have also decided to buy it from the new owner but I can't just get him
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Cordova: 3:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
JN1:
Is the domain name copyrighted? ie is it the name of a registered Nigerian company? If not then there's nothing you can do about it if yes sue them for copyright related crime.

The domain contain the name of the company with additional abbreviations
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by 100ksalescom(m): 3:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
Cordova:

Although there is no official document signed between the 2 of us but because I designed the site and I av been doing some update for them before now.

I have tried to do serious search on the person that register the domain but I could not get his contact. I have also decided to buy it from the new owner but I can't just get him

Since you didn't sign anything you might be lucky as nothing binds you and the domain together.
Drop the domain name let me try and get the contact details.

Its best you try and buy it from the present owner.
Court case fit bankrupt you o.
I hope you have the cash to keep the case going smiley
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
Cordova:

The domain contain the name of the company with additional abbreviations

Is the company registered? Is it trademarked?
You don't need any document to be signed, this is called Cybersquatting which is a Cyber crime. You don't need to stress yourself with Nigeria Legal system whom I don't think are equipped to quickly solve this, contact ICANN using this link - https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/dispute-resolution-2012-02-25-en#unsolicited with the attached document of the company registration I believe they will terminate their registration and hand you back your domain name.
Thanks.
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
If you prefer Nigerian legal system then you should sue for Brandjacking
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by 100ksalescom(m): 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
JN1:

Is the company registered? Is it trademarked?
You don't need any document to be signed, this is called Cybersquatting which is a Cyber crime. You don't need to stress yourself with Nigeria Legal system whom I don't think are equipped to quickly solve this, contact ICANN using this link - https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/dispute-resolution-2012-02-25-en#unsolicited with the attached document of the company registration I believe they will terminate their registration and hand you back your domain name.
Thanks.

What makes you think its cyber squatting?
What if there's a plan to develop a site for it.
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
100ksalescom:

What makes you think its cyber squatting?
What if there's a plan to develop a site for it.
Nothing concerns Cybersquatting with developing website, it only have to do with acquiring tread marked domain names. Are you sure you read the wiki link above?
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by abhosts(m): 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2015
What is the domain name and when did it expire?
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by javijabor1(m): 8:11am On Aug 13, 2015
JN1:

Nothing concerns Cybersquatting with developing website, it only have to do with acquiring tread marked domain names. Are you sure you read the wiki link above?

LOL...how many companies are trademarked in naija?

No ne us we dey o
Re: Need Your Advice Before I Go To Court by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 13, 2015
javijabor1:

LOL...how many companies are trademarked in naija?

No ne us we dey o
Most Nigerian companies are trademarked, that's why you cannot register another company in Nigeria with names like 'cowbell', 'Starcomms', 'punch', 'Dacofoam' etc. Cybersquatting in in view is not Nigerian law, it's international. Domain names are not governed in Nigeria but international body known as ICANN with their headquarters in USA.
I really don't like this argument here. I belive I have answered the question by the Op.

(1) (Reply)

What You Can Do When Not Approved For Google Adsense / Web Designer / Developer Urgently Needed In Surulere, Lagos / SEO Expert Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.