Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games (15259 Views)

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™: The Five Best World Cup Games To Watch... / Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) / Aubameyang Grabs First Goal At Cup Of Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by dridowu: 9:42am On Aug 12, 2015
Nigeria remembers Okwaraji at Cup games
Former Nigerian international, Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji, will be remembered by the country's football federation during the Federation Cup games billed to hold this Wednesday.

According to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), the portrait of late Okwaraji will be displayed at the eight venues for the quarterfinal matches in the Federation Cup for men and women.

"On Wednesday, the portrait of the late midfielder would be displayed round the eight venues of the Federation Cup quarterfinals in remembrance of him: Enugu, Benin City, Neros Stadium, Oleh, Lokoja, Abuja, Ilorin and Makurdi," the NFF official website stated.

The NFF president, Amaju Pinnick, took time off on the eve of the 26th anniversary of Okwaraji's death, to eulogise the late footballer and also speak to his mother, Mrs Jane Okwaraji.

“Mama, there is nothing I can say other than to tell you to continue to take solace in the fact that Sochukwuma was a star for Nigeria, a name that no one has been able to forget no matter how much they tried. He was the quintessential professional and patriot per excellence.

“Please be rest assured that Sochukwuma will continue to be in our hearts and consciousness. He was a rare gem. I assure you that the NFF will continue to keep in touch with you," Pinnick to Mrs Okwaraji over the telephone.

Brother of the late footballer, Patrick Okwaraji, said the telephone call by Pinnick was uplifting.“We are grateful to the NFF President for his phone call. At least, Mama is feeling better now,” said Patrick Okwaraji.

Pinnick went on to described Okwaraji as "a consummate professional."

“It was a horrible day, for someone like me and several other Nigerians who were right inside the National Stadium, Lagos that day. By all accounts, Sam Okwaraji was a consummate professional and was a shining example of patriotic fervour,” Pinnick said.

Okwaraji died at the age of 25 while featuring for Nigeria in a 1990 Fifa World Cup qualifying match against Angola at the National Stadium in Lagos on August 12, 1989.

The former Nigerian international collapsed and died 13 minutes before the end of the match against Angola and reports later revealed that Okwaraji died of an enlarged heart and high blood pressure.
http://ng.supersport.mobi/football/nigeria/news/150811/Nigeria_remembers_Okwaraji_at_Cup_games

Lalasticlala

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by demmy0325(m): 9:43am On Aug 12, 2015
Nice one..
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by doublewisdom: 9:43am On Aug 12, 2015
Sam deserves it. He was a patriotic Nigerian.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Tocheagle(m): 9:44am On Aug 12, 2015
Great
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Paschal001: 9:45am On Aug 12, 2015
Eiyah. . May he rest in peace.... Great footballer. .
He is dead but his manhood lives on.. grin grin.... Patience Jonathan

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by bizzlemie(m): 9:49am On Aug 12, 2015
After 26 years?

Unimpressive but welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by good4all: 10:44am On Aug 12, 2015
Pls take this to Front page
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by dridowu: 10:46am On Aug 12, 2015
Sam Okwaraji has done his best for the nation , what about you and i ? lalasticlala time to move to FP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by realGURU(m): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2015
The days of using free domain names, sub domain and enpensive domain names are over, the days of relying entirely on godaddy coupon to get cheap domain name for your website are gone, the days of using some sort of code and coding from proxy website to get cheap domain are gone, the days of using intermediate gurus to get domain for your blog are gone.
Just walk into any branch of your bank here in nigeria, get an ATM card , yes ATM card with a mastercard or visa logo.
Get a cheap domain name for a complete year registration for less than a dollar.
Get a .com top level domain name for only $0.99 per year with 1&1dotcom. A top and trusted internet domain registrar.
Click my signature to get access..
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by marked10(m): 11:05am On Aug 12, 2015
wooooooow

legend

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by adonbilivit: 11:05am On Aug 12, 2015
the guy that was killed by the Indians by converting football to stone?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Skypelogger: 11:06am On Aug 12, 2015
Good
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 12, 2015
Ok

-Amaju Pinnick using all PR stunt available to maintain his job.
- Why not send sponsors to package something for his family undecided
- Can we have something packaged for all soccer stars that are deceased on a long term undecided
- Rasheed Yekini comes to mind as another including others undecided

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by NetBizguy: 11:07am On Aug 12, 2015
m
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by harrysterol(m): 11:07am On Aug 12, 2015
This guy was good. We miss you
Buy your solar power bank 0806.3434.874 bbm 2bccb9 c3
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by chesterlee(m): 11:07am On Aug 12, 2015
Legend!
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by RobinHez(m): 11:07am On Aug 12, 2015
All the footballers who have died on the Pitch all died of Heart failures...

I watched the compilation on youtube...

When ur heart feels like its gonna stop, STOP!! There's no gain in killing urself on the pitch...as the players in those videos did, they first slumped, then got up and tried to continue running again...

Please...Health is very important!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by naijainfogalery: 11:08am On Aug 12, 2015
Now these are the real heroes not the corrupt politicians we praise these days
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Richie0974: 11:09am On Aug 12, 2015
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 12, 2015
I hear say na lion kill am na true grin
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by benitwater(m): 11:10am On Aug 12, 2015
oo okwarajii,oo okwarajii,Iwo nikan lowo baba,iwo nikan lowo Iya,ti won ban gba boolu lorun ko ge won lege ara.in kollington ayinla'voice.r.i.p.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by MRpii(m): 11:11am On Aug 12, 2015
I have not been born then,anyways RIP! Mikel should copy this,he should stop playing like chickens

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by estatelinks(m): 11:11am On Aug 12, 2015
Am really impressed with Amaju Pinnick for his leadership of the NFF
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by wunmi590(m): 11:11am On Aug 12, 2015
It is always good to remember one of the people that made this nation great
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 12, 2015
Legend, r. I. P. I crymiss you even though I never watched you play i was still in heaven then. One day una go hala my name too but I refuse to die young
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Niyinficient(m): 11:13am On Aug 12, 2015
#singing# oooo okparaji, oooo okparaji, iwo ni kan l'omo mama, iwo nikan l'omo mama, ogba boolu fun wa o......ge won l'ege ara! can't forget ur dread, u will always be one of my childhood memories! Rip great baller

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by Georgekyrian(m): 11:13am On Aug 12, 2015
Re: Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games by enomakos(m): 11:14am On Aug 12, 2015
Rest in peace legend

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oshiomogho Atogwe Celebrates His 39th Birthday Today / FIFA Announces New Rule, Racists Will Now Get Automatic 10-game Ban / Wilfred Ndidi Signs New Six-Year Contract With Leicester City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.