Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,260 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title - Sports (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title (44972 Views)

2018 World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria Vs Algeria - Who Is Your Man Of The March? / FIFA Under-17 WORLD CUP Chile 2015-Nigeria Group Fixtures &Time-OCT 17TH-NOV 8TH / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by LagosEconomist: 4:06am On Aug 31, 2015
Afam4eva:

The last time i heard this statement was just before the US basketball team broke a world record and we were the victim. Angola still boasts of the best team in Africa. It's good to know that we'll not be meeting them just yet.

Our team can even get stronger before next year.

In addition to Gbinije, Rasheed Sulaimon and Tonye Jekiri might be among the top 20 players in college next year and all three should be in the NBA after their senior season. All 3 may still stake a claim for an Olympic spot. Ike Ofoegbu could really help this team as well. Put those four in the mix, and we may just make a run for a medal at the Olympics.

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Afam4eva(m): 9:46am On Aug 31, 2015
LagosEconomist:

Mr. Afam, I just wanted to remind you of your words.

The fact that we were disorganized in the past does not mean you cannot do an objective analysis of the future.

We won this tournament without any contribution from our best player.
WOW, we beat Angola? This is good to know and it's also good to know that i was wrong and you were right.

Can we analyze this team just a lil bit cos i couldn't understand why were were always going down to Angola considering the fact that we had NBA level players. Was it the players, coaches or tactics?

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by isaiah9(m): 10:41am On Aug 31, 2015
Does anyone have link to download or watch the full game again,i mean the final
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Mizzzbeee(f): 10:55am On Aug 31, 2015
isaiah9:
Does anyone have link to download or watch the full game again,i mean the final
try youtube

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by successinlife: 11:05am On Aug 31, 2015
Afam4eva:

WOW, we beat Angola? This is good to know and it's also good to know that i was wrong and you were right.

Can we analyze this team just a lil bit cos i couldn't understand why were were always going down to Angola considering the fact that we had NBA level players. Was it the players, coaches or tactics?

I think you are mixing the whole thing up because before 2011/2012 Nigeria basketballer based in the US in team Nigeria rosters are very few,they weren't released often by their US teams because of some injury clauses that demand an insurance policy of 14M $ to release a single player for national team activities,which federation in Africa can afford these huge amount? the players you see on the roster or Afrobasket 2015 took risks and rubbished the insurance clause because Al farouk was asked a question about that,the youngman was very intelligent in his response by saying "i will avoid injury and there will be no need for the 14M $ insurance '' it is full patrotism that made the few US based Nigerian basketballer to play in this 2015 Afrobasket before 2011 all our players are Nigerian based with one or two playing in Europe.

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by WarriorX1: 11:10am On Aug 31, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by LagosEconomist: 10:40pm On Aug 31, 2015
Afam4eva:

Like others have said, a few things finally came together. Read the article I posted on the 1st page of this thread for more information.

2013 was meant to be the year, but things fell apart just as the tournament started. You could see that we were the best team in the tournament but we just ran out of gas against Senegal as we had no bench and no outside shooting.

After that, so many stakeholders came together to make sure things went well this time. Even the NBBF (especially Presisent Tijani Umar) tried and guys like Ime Udoka (former captain, now San Antonio Spurs assistant who had previously worked with Will Voigt) and Masai Ujiri (Toronto Raptors GM) were working behind the scenes in convincing some of the boys to play.

Like I said, if we get our act together, we can dominate Africa for a decade, at least, and even sneak a medal at the Olympics or World Championship. Even as Diogu got injured, I said we would beat Angola by double digits if we met them. (They made a run when the game was practically over to make the scores look more respectable).

2 Likes

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by sholly28(m): 10:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
LagosEconomist:

Like others have said, a few things finally came together. Read the article I posted on the 1st page of this thread for more information.

2013 was meant to be the year, but things fell apart just as the tournament started. You could see that we were the best team in the tournament but we just ran out of gas against Senegal as we had no bench and no outside shooting.

After that, so many stakeholders came together to make sure things went well this time. Even the NBBF (especially Presisent Tijani Umar) tried and guys like Ime Udoka (former captain, now San Antonio Spurs assistant who had previously worked with Will Voigt) and Masai Ujiri (Toronto Raptors GM) were working behind the scenes in convincing some of the boys to play.

Like I said, if we get our act together, we can dominate Africa for a decade, at least, and even sneak a medal at the Olympics or World Championship. Even as Diogu got injured, I said we would beat Angola by double digits if we met them. (They made a run when the game was practically over to make the scores look more respectable).
Pls, link to download the full match
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by isaiah9(m): 1:27pm On Sep 03, 2015
Ezeli gives thumbs-up to Nigeria for AfroBasket 2015

Festus Ezeli (NGR) - Golden State Warriors (NBA). Photo: NBAE/Getty Images
OAKLAND (NBA/AfroBasket2015) - Nigerian-Americans have played a key role in the recent history of the African nation's basketball history, and that trend may continue this summer when the D'Tigers participate in AfroBasket 2015 taking place in Tunisia from 19 to 30 August.

Nigeria secured qualification for the tournament - a qualifier for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics - after beating Burkina Faso in a two-game qualifier last week.

At the 2012 Olympics, nine out of the 12 players on Nigeria's roster were born in the USA to Nigerian families, while Tony Skinn, Ejike Ugboaja and Olumide Oyedeji were the only natives of Nigeria.

Al-Farouq Aminu of the Dallas Mavericks, former Los Angeles Clippers Ike Diogu and and Ime Udoka - currently in his third season as an assistant coach for the reigning NBA champions San Antonio Spurs - were all crucial for the Nigerians in recent international tournaments.

Clippers forward Ekpe Udo has Nigerians roots, but is yet to wear the green jersey, while Andre Iguodala has represented the USA internationally.

The list of Nigerian-American who can be selected to represent the African country is almost endless. Ahead of the London Games, Nigeria guard Ade Dagunduro, in a interview with FIBA.com, said: "There are more than 200 million people of Nigeria origin who could be picked for the team."

It turns out, one of those players who could suit up for Nigeria is Golden State Warriors big man Festus Ezeli, the only Nigerian-born playing in the NBA this season.

The 25-year-old only started playing organised basketball eight years ago. Following a solid career at Vanderbilt University, he was selected with the 30th pick by Golden State in the 2012 Draft.

#SquadGoals pic.twitter.com/6zP1tBYaMh

— Golden St. Warriors (@warriors) March 19, 2015
The 2.11m center, who had a career-high 15 points against the Sacramento Kings on 22 December, is open to representing Nigeria in Tunisia this summer.

"It is a big honour to be playing for your country and I am looking forward to it," he said FIBA.com.

"I have a lot of pride in my origins. I think that it is awesome that we have so many guys of Nigerian descent in the NBA.

"I am trying to get Andre Iguodala to come to Nigeria with me someday. It is a great place, a great country and it has a lot of potential.

"I don't know Al-Farouq Aminu personally but I know that he plays for the Nigerian national team. I'm looking forward to get to know him and all my other Nigerian brothers who play basketball.

Hopefully, I will play for the national team soon. - Ezeli

Festus missed the entire 2013-14 NBA season due to a knee injury.

He is back in action now, averaging 3.9 points and 3.3 rebounds per game for the Warriors who clinched the top seed in the Western Conference.

"For my role on the team, it is mainly on the defensive end," he explained.

"I love this team. Number one, our chemistry is great. We have a lot of great guys and all of us are committed to winning.

"Our guys work hard, we all support each other and we are very talented. I am blessed to be part of this team.

"The goal is to play our best basketball by April and whenever comes after that. We just want to be the best team that we can be going to the playoffs, that what is our main goal for now."

Meanwhile, Nigeria head coach Sani Ahmed recently hinted at expressing interest in inviting Orlando Magic guard Victor Oladipo and Thanasis Antetokoumpo of the D-League's Westchester Knicks but said: "The problem is that the insurance you pay when you want to get these NBA players is very high."

FIBA

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by olapluto(m): 11:02pm On Sep 03, 2015
The complete match, with Tunisian TV and Arabic commentary. One to be downloaded for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRIcr4H4fI
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by gabelogan(m): 9:05am On Sep 04, 2015
Big ups to d'tigers for finally winning the afrobasket, even though I felt they didn't stand a chance against Angola. But the biggest complement must go to the NBBF for hiring a competent coach instead of settling for sani Ahmed, the kano pillars coach who qualified the team for the tournament. Had he led the team, the starting point guard would have been that nda Abu guy from kano pillars (that guy has been in the Nigerian basketball set up since I was like 15, now I'm over 30), Stanley gumut as 2 and abdulwahab yahaya would play 3!!!!!
In my estimation, olaseni (Shane) LAWAL was the teams player of the tournament! He was a beast defensively and contributed considerably offensively.he literally shut out dieng during the semi finals. I also preferred Ben uzoh starting at point to micheal umeh. He is the African Derrick rose, and is a better point guard than micheal umeh.
I hope Victor oladipo opts to play for Nigeria. If he does, with the addition of festus ezeli and diogu coming back from injury , that team will definitely make an impact at the Olympics. The squad rotation would've changed, which means players like jamaal olawasere and olamide oyedeji ( that dude has outlived his usefulness in the national set up) would have to be dropped. Then the starting line up would be uzoh, oladipo, Al faruq, diogu and ezeli, with ogunchi and Shane LAWAL coming on as impact subs.
The team should also look at reinforcing at various positions. I feel ogide is too small to play as a back up 4, especially if they face teams with tall players like Spain. There are a lot of talented Nigerian players. Theres one guy that plays for florida state, I think, about 7ft wale.... He's still young and raw and could be a good back up centre. Also players like talib zanna and gani LAWAL (is he related to shane lawal??) who were college standouts could be included

2 Likes

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by isaiah9(m): 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2015
Why are there no news about d'tigers again.is it because we won it, are they back from Tunisia, how were they welcomed or what did the president say. Wasup OP?
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by LagosEconomist: 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2015
gabelogan:
Big ups to d'tigers for finally winning the afrobasket, even though I felt they didn't stand a chance against Angola. But the biggest complement must go to the NBBF for hiring a competent coach instead of settling for sani Ahmed, the kano pillars coach who qualified the team for the tournament. Had he led the team, the starting point guard would have been that nda Abu guy from kano pillars (that guy has been in the Nigerian basketball set up since I was like 15, now I'm over 30), Stanley gumut as 2 and abdulwahab yahaya would play 3!!!!!
In my estimation, olaseni (Shane) LAWAL was the teams player of the tournament! He was a beast defensively and contributed considerably offensively.he literally shut out dieng during the semi finals. I also preferred Ben uzoh starting at point to micheal umeh. He is the African Derrick rose, and is a better point guard than micheal umeh.
I hope Victor oladipo opts to play for Nigeria. If he does, with the addition of festus ezeli and diogu coming back from injury , that team will definitely make an impact at the Olympics. The squad rotation would've changed, which means players like jamaal olawasere and olamide oyedeji ( that dude has outlived his usefulness in the national set up) would have to be dropped. Then the starting line up would be uzoh, oladipo, Al faruq, diogu and ezeli, with ogunchi and Shane LAWAL coming on as impact subs.
The team should also look at reinforcing at various positions. I feel ogide is too small to play as a back up 4, especially if they face teams with tall players like Spain. There are a lot of talented Nigerian players. Theres one guy that plays for florida state, I think, about 7ft wale.... He's still young and raw and could be a good back up centre. Also players like talib zanna and gani LAWAL (is he related to shane lawal??) who were college standouts could be included

Ezeli committed to Afrobasket when he was coming off injury and was the #3 center for the warriors around February. Hes was even sent to the NBDL. Now he had an OK playoff defensively, and he fails to show up for Afrobasket. Even if he makes the team, no way he starts ahead of Lawal, who will be the starting PF for Barcelona. I think Ezeli will be competing with Tonye Jekiri and Deji Akindele for Oyedeji's spot (and I'll go with Jekiri, if it was up to me).

The only other person I'll add to the team is Rasheed Sulaimon who might be one of the top players in college this year. He might be the best 3 point shooter we have (even better than Champ), and he is not just a catch and shoot guy. He can create his shot off the dribble, and like Gbinije, he is a lock down defender.

So I think we should have 3 current college seniors on the team. (Jekiri, Gbinije & Sulaimon). Each one of them could be drafted by an NBA team before the Olympics.

Umeh struggled against the good teams, Ogide only had 2 good games, although one of those games was the finals. Olasewere was hardly used. I think these 3 in addition to Oyedeji are vulnerable, but I expect to see at least 9 players from Afrobasket in the Olympics.

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by LagosEconomist: 5:17pm On Sep 04, 2015
isaiah9:
Why are there no news about d'tigers again.is it because we won it, are they back from Tunisia, how were they welcomed or what did the president say. Wasup OP?

Saw Seni Lawal on the news yesterday. He is in the US. They waited for a day and wanted to come to Abuja or Lagos to celebrate. Nothing heard from Buhari. Later they said all the Sports people had gone for the AAG in Congo.

Really bad planning. This was a huge victory and the PResidency should have received them.
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by safarigirl(f): 2:11am On Sep 08, 2015
LagosEconomist:

Saw Seni Lawal on the news yesterday. He is in the US. They waited for a day and wanted to come to Abuja or Lagos to celebrate. Nothing heard from Buhari. Later they said all the Sports people had gone for the AAG in Congo.

Really bad planning. This was a huge victory and the PResidency should have received them.
really terrible planning and the Presidency phucked up big time. If it were GEJ, they would've gotten their Presidential dinner and a couple of great deals like the AFCON guys did, and here, we have a team winning something that's never been won in Naija and Buhari uselesses it all. If we had a sports minister, things would've gone differently. It's just annoying

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Nobody: 2:56am On Sep 08, 2015
Nigeria's status as African champs should be enough to convince the college standouts, and Victor Oladipo to commit to Nigeria.
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Funjosh(m): 4:34am On Sep 08, 2015
safarigirl:
really terrible planning and the Presidency phucked up big time. If it were GEJ, they would've gotten their Presidential dinner and a couple of great deals like the AFCON guys did, and here, we have a team winning something that's never been won in Naija and Buhari uselesses it all. If we had a sports minister, things would've gone differently. It's just annoying

This is SAD sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Reactions As Luka Modric Wins FIFA Men's Best Player Award / PSG Want Ronaldo Transfer As Mbappe Heads To Madrid Next Summer / Man United Considering Cracking Down On Cristiano Ronaldo Over His Attitude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.