Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,004 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages (1480 Views)

Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services / NCC Releases Short Codes To Stop Unsolicited SMS / How To Stop Unsolicited Messages From Mtn,airtel,glo, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 5:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, has been asked to halt some unfair practices being perpetrated by mobile telecommunication service providers in the country.

This directive was handed down on Wednesday by the House of Representatives, citing what the Honourable Members called the increasing cases of “unsolicited caller tunes” and text messages to subscribers by service providers as one example that the NCC must stop immediately.

The lawmakers also observed that the caller tunes and promotional text messages were not only unsolicited but also carried charges, noting that such charges were deducted from the airtime of subscribers in most cases without their knowledge.

Hon. Ali Madaki, APC-Kano, who moved the motion, told the House: “In the recent past, mobile telephone service providers in Nigeria started charging their subscribers for caller tunes unsolicited in contravention of the NCC Act, 2003.”

According to him, he once took his phone to a service provider’s office in Kano to have an unsolicited caller tune cancelled and his money returned, adding that a few days later, another embarrassing caller tune played on his phone.

“Mr. Speaker, they played a caller tune, ‘My Sweetie, my lover’.

“It is immoral to do such a thing by sending such tunes to subscribers who did not subscribe to them,” Madaki added.

House Majority Leader, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, in his own contribution, described such acts carried out by service providers as “harassment and invasion of privacy”, reminding the House that besides the powers conferred on NCC by the enabling Act, there were laws that guaranteed the privacy of Nigerians.

Citing section 37 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), Gbajabiamila noted that when the privacy of individuals was invaded, they could seek the protection of the law.

“If you invade my telephone with unsolicited information, there should be a penalty for it,” he said.

Hon. Tajudeen Yusuf, PDP-KOGI, drew the attention of members to another instance of “deceiving” subscribers to participate in promotions with promises of non-existing prizes.
“People buy airtime and soon realise that the entire money is taken.
“This is illegal and it must stop,” he added.

The resolution was passed in unanimous voice vote at the session presided over by the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara.

Source :http://dailypost.ng/2015/08/12/reps-order-ncc-to-stop-unsolicited-caller-tunes-messages/

3 Likes

Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Ejaisky: 5:48pm On Aug 12, 2015
Good move. Serious action need to be taken against this annoying practice of telecom service providers.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by djakinwande(m): 5:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
grin
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 12, 2015
Nice one, even if dey didnt move d motion, I was planning to do same.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by DaGC(m): 5:59pm On Aug 12, 2015
I'm in support of this. Sometimes, even their stupid advert calls deduct airtime without me making a choice. angry
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by olaric(m): 6:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
How many times have we discussed and cried over this on social media sites and even on Nairaland? So these law makers wouldn't have come out to speak against it if one of them was not a victim? I hope we get over all these unsolicited texts and calls pretty soon.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Lawalemi(m): 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
They need such sanction. Those people are so fraudulent. Kudos to NCC if this sanction is passed on
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by femi4: 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2015
Long overdue
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by infinitypro(m): 6:19pm On Aug 12, 2015
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 6:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
@prettythicksme
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 12, 2015
Tbillz:
@prettythicksme
Boo kiss,what is up?btw nice thread tho.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Segadem(m): 7:51pm On Aug 12, 2015
cupsofxo:
Who be you? sorry who you be? grin
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Segadem(m): 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
olaric:
How many times have we discussed and cried over this on social media sites and even on Nairaland? So these law makers wouldn't have come out to speak against it if one of them was not a victim? I hope we get over all these unsolicited texts and calls pretty soon.
NCC (Nigeria Criminal Council)
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Segadem(m): 7:55pm On Aug 12, 2015
Lawalemi:
They need such sanction. Those people are so fraudulent. Kudos to NCC if this sanction is passed on
Kudos to who?
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Segadem(m): 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
I know and I'm sure EmpTy Net will not listen if the law is successfully passed,they will find another way to maneuver its customers unaware.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Segadem(m): 8:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
I know and I'm sure EmpTy Net will not listen if the law is successfully passed,EmpTy Net will find another way to maneuver its customers unaware.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Olalekanbanky1(m): 8:02pm On Aug 12, 2015
very good as the thing Don happen to una
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by vodacom: 8:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
Tbillz:
The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, has been asked to halt some unfair practices being perpetrated by mobile telecommunication service providers in the country.

This directive was handed down on Wednesday by the House of Representatives, citing what the Honourable Members called the increasing cases of “unsolicited caller tunes” and text messages to subscribers by service providers as one example that the NCC must stop immediately.

The lawmakers also observed that the caller tunes and promotional text messages were not only unsolicited but also carried charges, noting that such charges were deducted from the airtime of subscribers in most cases without their knowledge.

so until it affect una, una non go talk for the mata huh .

Ali Madaki, APC-Kano, who moved the motion, told the House: “In the recent past, mobile telephone service providers in Nigeria started charging their subscribers for caller tunes unsolicited in contravention of the NCC Act, 2003.”

According to him, he once took his phone to a service provider’s office in Kano to have an unsolicited caller tune cancelled and his money returned, adding that a few days later, another embarrassing caller tune played on his phone.

“Mr. Speaker, they played a caller tune, ‘My Sweetie, my lover’.

as if you be saint , abeg senator talk beta tin jare

“It is immoral to do such a thing by sending such tunes to subscribers who did not subscribe to them,” Madaki added.

House Majority Leader, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, in his own contribution, described such acts carried out by service providers as “harassment and invasion of privacy”, reminding the House that besides the powers conferred on NCC by the enabling Act, there were laws that guaranteed the privacy of Nigerians.

Citing section 37 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), Gbajabiamila noted that when the privacy of individuals was invaded, they could seek the protection of the law.

“If you invade my telephone with unsolicited information, there should be a penalty for it,” he said.

Hon. Tajudeen Yusuf, PDP-KOGI, drew the attention of members to another instance of “deceiving” subscribers to participate in promotions with promises of non-existing prizes.

hahaaaaa because you non win abi

“People buy airtime and soon realise that the entire money is taken.
“This is illegal and it must stop,” he added.

The resolution was passed in unanimous voice vote at the session presided over by the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara.

Source :http://dailypost.ng/2015/08/12/reps-order-ncc-to-stop-unsolicited-caller-tunes-messages/
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by dominique(f): 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
Let's hope they take action and penalize any network that does not comply. Airtel annoys me with their silly messages, Etisalat deducted N100 monthly for one useless easy backup service which I never subscribed to. These networks have messed with people's lones for so long without being sanctioned. I don't think they will till one of them is made a scapegoat.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by donhils: 8:23pm On Aug 12, 2015
cupsofxo:
How would you have done that?
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 8:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
prettythicksme:
Boo kiss,what is up?btw nice thread tho.
booked a space for U *wink* whatsup dearie? where av u been?
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
Tbillz:
booked a space for U *wink* whatsup dearie? where av u been?
Have been around dear,just dat we hardly see each other online.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 9:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
prettythicksme:
Have been around dear,just dat we hardly see each other online.
but haven't been seeing your comments or strictly romance section?
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
Tbillz:
but haven't been seeing your comments or strictly romance section?
I do comment but not really sha!how r u doing?wanna see another pics of u,tired of seeing one u have there presently. grin
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 9:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
prettythicksme:
I do comment but not really sha!how r u doing?wanna see another pics of u,tired of seeing one u have there presently. grin
will surely do that...
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 12, 2015
Tbillz:
will surely do that... 08062622225 we chat on WhatsApp
nice pics tho,i like ur teeth grin
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2015
prettythicksme:
thanks dearie i will take that as a compliment but remember u haven't changed yours?
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 10:18pm On Aug 12, 2015
Tbillz:
thanks dearie i will take that as a compliment but remember u haven't changed yours?
u check already? cheesy@my dp
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 11:07pm On Aug 12, 2015
prettythicksme:
those charming eyeballs thou #beautifully made
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by parrotibaba(m): 7:15am On Aug 13, 2015
prettythicksme:
Tbillz:
prettythicksme:
Tbillz:
those charming eyeballs thou #beautifully made
Warrisdis? angry sad
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 13, 2015
In my experience.
there has being deduction of #100 and #50 on my glo line. i called their call centre and the confirmation made by one of their staff for the first deduction on my line and that she will send a conplain mail to the department responsible for handling such issues but to no avail. Then four days ago another deduction of #50 from my account which prompt me to call their customer care again only to be told that those deduction is due to my subscription of football alert on which i haven't got any football alert since i start using the said sim and i was told to cancel that alert by calling 4022 on which if i must do, it involve being charge from my airtme. These i know immediately i drop the call with the customer care, i tried to call the 4022 as directed only to be told that i have insufficient credit to call the number because i have kobos left in my account.
Re: Reps Order NCC To Stop Unsolicited Caller Tunes, Messages by Tbillz(m): 9:44am On Aug 13, 2015
parrotibaba:
Warrisdis? angry sad
what does it look like? Btw are U up2 18yrs of age?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Apply Different Fonts For All Android Apps / How Can One Repair And Recover A Damaged Sd (memory) Card? / Any Other Site Like Zoranga?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.