Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Things We Were Not Told About Sam Okwaraji. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Things We Were Not Told About Sam Okwaraji. (793 Views)

10 Real Facts About Sam Dede You Probably Didn't Know / Sam Dede, His Wife, Tammy Sam-Dede & Their Children (Photos) / Omoruyi Loco Efe: Sam Loco's Son And A Fulani Herdsman Meet (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things We Were Not Told About Sam Okwaraji. by atima1(m): 10:02am On Aug 13, 2015
Remember the ppopular story of a nigerian lengendary footballeer, Samuel Okwaraji dieing in a match with the indians, yeah it was fake. Find out below.

5 things to remember about Sam Okwaraji

Today, 12th of August, 2015, makes it exactly 9490 days since the exit of Nigeria’s first football martyr, Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji. The sad event occurred on a tension-soaked Saturday, 12th August, 1989, during a make or mar Italia 1990 World Cup qualifier match, between the Green Eagles and the boastful Angolan side. The pulsating encounter was held at the now pathetic and rickety National Stadium, in Surulere, Lagos.

Okwaraji collapsed in the 77th minute of that match, and later died at age 25 of congestive heart failure. An autopsy showed that he had an enlarged heart and high blood pressure
In this report, Vanguard aptly captures five things to remember about Okwaraji.
1.He was a qualified lawyer
Okwaraji who was born on May 19, 1964, in Orlu, Imo State. Apart from his football exploits, he was a qualified lawyer who had a Masters in international law from the University of Rome.
2.Multi-talented footballer and midfield maestro
On the field of play, Okwaraji went for the tackles, aerial balls and in fact did more than his fair share of safe guarding the perimeter of the 18-yard box. This earned him a place in Nigeria’s first Olympic team in 1988. Debuting on January 30, 1988 in a match against Algeria, at the Nnamdi Azikwe Stadium, Enugu, Okwaraji with amazing skills played himself into the consciousness of Nigerians.
3.He played for top European clubs
Okwaraji’s football career in Europe started in 1984-1985, in AS Roma. After which he had a career playing for NK Dinamo Zagreb (1985-1986), Austria Klagenfurt (1986-1987), VfB Stuttgart (1987-1989), SSV Ulm (loan) (1987-1988).
4.Scored one of the fastest goal in African football history
Okwaraji, who made the Green Eagles squad in 1988 at the African Nations Cup in Morocco, scored one of the fastest goals in the history of African football against Nigeria’s perennial rivals, the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon. Shining like a million stars in that tournament, Okwaraji was named man of the match twice.
5.A Patriot par excellence
Okwaraji’s was indeed seen as a patriot. At one occasion, when he had the chance to play for his fatherland but his club would not agree. His club manager was said to have asked the Nigerian Football Authorities to pay an estimated cost of $45, 000 for their star player’s match bonus and an
expected loss in the club’s gate taking for the period in which he would be on national duty.
Hearing about this agreement, this patriot hit back at his club saying: “I signed to play football for you on certain conditions, but I don’t think it includes reselling my services to my country. You cannot stop me playing for my country and let me tell you, I am going to represent my country in the World Cup in Italy whether you like it or not and I would very much like for you to be there.”
No doubt, Okwaraji paid his way to play for Nigeria without asking for a dime. He would come to camp uninvited and beg the coach to throw the
jerseys on the floor for players to fight for. It was this move that heralded the era of throwing the camp open. He was not afraid to put his career on the line for his country. He put his life on the line too....source.http:///42YoD3Me3D

Re: Things We Were Not Told About Sam Okwaraji. by rawpadgin(m): 10:24am On Aug 13, 2015
A season @ each club he played in
Re: Things We Were Not Told About Sam Okwaraji. by missdebs(f): 10:27am On Aug 13, 2015
6.he scored the only goal against india

(1) (Reply)

Clearance Sales At Madrew's!!! / “there Is Too Much Fakeness Going On” – 2face Idibia / Meet Richard Abenemi The Most Popular Music Star In Olashore International Schoo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.