Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

My New Complete English Classic Android App - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My New Complete English Classic Android App (3148 Views)

Check Out My New Python App For Downloading Tv-series. The Getseries Program. / My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows / My New Classic Chemistry Android App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by nnamdiosu(m): 11:02pm On Aug 16, 2015
lordZOUGA:
@nollyj, your app doesn't look interesting. Is this the real app or is it in pre-alpha stages?

Those that are saying that this is a nice app. What? Please share what's nice about it.

To be honest, I don't understand. Were you on a deadline to launch the app?

I would start telling you what's wrong with the app but that would effectively mean recreating the app. So.. nah man.

You can do better than this. Much better.

Haba bro. the least u could have done was to add a line or two of encouragement even if u were to critique too. everybody may not be as good as u in programming or design but......u were once like them. it comes with experience and time.....and maybe good lines of encouragement. one day we'll GWR there (maybe even be better than u) I actually didn't expect that from you.

Op its all good. thank God for the design. I really love the UI and creativity behind it. but work with the advice given by others, ESP the icons part. Rome wasn't built in a day. peace
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by lordZOUGA(m): 12:30am On Aug 17, 2015
nollyj:

That is why we are here to learn from each other. I haven't said it is the best app. I came here for review and suggestions on how I can improve future versions. Please if you have any, kindly let me know. Just like I told Dhtml - I am not good with UI or interface. I welcome all suggestions and reviews

Just feel free. No hard feelings. Learning is a continuous process.

Beside, thanks for your comment. I look forward to your suggestions
Some research will do you good. Your app is similar to Duolingo or Lumosity. Check them out and see how users interact with them. Try to understand why they implemented things the way they did. You will then work from that.

I normally don't make such comments but this is your 8th android app. You should do better.
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by nollyj: 12:41am On Aug 17, 2015
lordZOUGA:

Some research will do you good. Your app is similar to Duolingo or Lumosity. Check them out and see how users interact with them. Try to understand why they implemented things the way they did. You will then work from that.

I normally don't make such comments but this is your 8th android app. You should do better.

Is it about the UI or features you are talking about. You should do better is quite general. I think it will be nice to point out what needs to be changed or improve on.

1 Like

Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by FincoApps(m): 5:25am On Aug 17, 2015
lol because some of your trolling pours butane gas to fire grin grin grin.
dhtml18:
^^^thank you o, but why am i always getting banned for trolling? we need to ask seun!
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by FincoApps(m): 5:35am On Aug 17, 2015
Your comment sounds like the app is like a Facebook page without CSS.
To me, the icons in the navigation drawer can be changed. But this is an educational app naaa and not a game. Besides, how many novels have you read with pictures.

I noticed people become overzealous about UI of an app these days when the app is not a game.

Even some of the most addictive games has a BAD UI, imagine there was no Flappy bird and Nollyj posted it as his game, I can only imagine the kind of comments I'll be reading here.

lordZOUGA:
@nollyj, your app doesn't look interesting. Is this the real app or is it in pre-alpha stages?

Those that are saying that this is a nice app. What? Please share what's nice about it.

To be honest, I don't understand. Were you on a deadline to launch the app?

I would start telling you what's wrong with the app but that would effectively mean recreating the app. So.. nah man.

You can do better than this. Much better.
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by FincoApps(m): 5:37am On Aug 17, 2015
NollyJ, there was a post I saw you make that made me want to tell you, you are very good at simple Ui designs. And complicated Ui designs is what I hate most Android apps for.

nollyj:

Thanks. I am not that good in graphics so I used icons from Flaticon. If you know who can help me out kindly let me know.

Thanks once again
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by lordZOUGA(m): 7:32am On Aug 17, 2015
nollyj:

Is it about the UI or features you are talking about. You should do better is quite general. I think it will be nice to point out what needs to be changed or improve on.
Yes, It will be much better and easier for you if I do that but nah, that's too much work for me. I am pretty sure if I were to create an app like that, I would not have done it the way you did it.

That's all I can say.
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by lordZOUGA(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2015
FincoApps:
Your comment sounds like the app is like a Facebook page without CSS.
To me, the icons in the navigation drawer can be changed. But this is an educational app naaa and not a game. Besides, how many novels have you read with pictures.

I noticed people become overzealous about UI of an app these days when the app is not a game.

Even some of the most addictive games has a BAD UI, imagine there was no Flappy bird and Nollyj posted it as his game, I can only imagine the kind of comments I'll be reading here.

So, you would rather make an app with a bad UI?
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by nollyj: 9:31am On Aug 17, 2015
lordZOUGA:

Yes, It will be much better and easier for you if I do that but nah, that's too much work for me. I am pretty sure if I were to create an app like that, I would not have done it the way you did it.

That's all I can say.

Ok. I know you will do it better. But I wish your pointed out something. Thanks
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by FincoApps(m): 10:16am On Aug 17, 2015
Simple Ui not bad.
lordZOUGA:

So, you would rather make an app with a bad UI?

Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by nollyj: 10:30am On Aug 17, 2015
FincoApps:
NollyJ, there was a post I saw you make that made me want to tell you, you are very good at simple Ui designs. And complicated Ui designs is what I hate most Android apps for.

Yes, I know that I struggle with interface / UI design alot. But I design most of my app UI and since I am not a designer I know it is not where I will like it to be.

This app that I created has up to 140 screens / graphic assets to design. In fiverr, A screen will cost 5 dollars and that equates to 140 * 5 = 700 dollars for UI design.

There is nothing wrong with paying that amount if you have the money but I have a different idea when it comes to android app development.

I focus on the content of the app, features and functionalities. App UI is also important and makes app attractive but since I can't just invest so much in app UI when I don't even know if it will perform well (lots of downloads) in Google store.

I do release my first version and see its performance before I can invest money in UI design. There are millions of apps that were developed by companies and indie developers with beautify UI that could not get up to 5000 download. This is not an excuse for poor UI but building beautiful apps involves so much money. Companies and indie developers are losing thousands and millions of dollars in failed apps and games

At least I have seen a good trend with my new app. More than 500 downloads already in few days without aggressive advertisement.

I will work on the UI in my next release.
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by FincoApps(m): 10:37am On Aug 17, 2015
You are right. Most importantly, great UI does not guarantee downloads and vice versa
nollyj:

Yes, I know that I struggle with interface / UI design alot. But I design most of my app UI and since I am not a designer I know it is not where I will like it to be.

This app that I created has up to 140 screens / graphic assets to design. In fiverr, A screen will cost 5 dollars and that equates to 140 * 5 = 700 dollars for UI design.

There is nothing wrong with paying that amount if you have the money but I have a different idea when it comes to android app development.

I focus on the content of the app, features and functionalities. App UI is also important and makes app attractive but since I can't just invest so much in app UI when I don't even know if it will perform well (lots of downloads) in Google store.

I do release my first version and see its performance before I can invest money in UI design. There are millions of apps that we develop by companies and indie developers with beautify UI that could not get up to 5000 download. This not an excuse for poor UI but building beautify apps involves so much money. Companies and indie developers are losing thousands and millions of dollars in failed apps and games

At least I have seen a good thread with my new app. More than [b]500 download[/b]s already in few days without aggressive advertisement.

I will work on the UI in my next app.

Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 17, 2015
Abeg the UI thing is optional jare unless client is complaining.
- dhtml18

1 Like

Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by lordZOUGA(m): 11:28am On Aug 17, 2015
nollyj:

Ok. I know you will do it better. But I wish your pointed out something. Thanks

It is not about doing it better. I am talking about doing it in such a way that it is intuitive to users. doing it in a better way.

For example:
why do you have a button called "Start" at the launch of the app? what is it's function?

Looking at your menu, the topics can be easily grouped but it isn't grouped like "Reading", "Writing", "Oral"? the current way it is will overwhelm some users. Listing items doesn't automatically make the UI simple. Check Gmail's Navigation pane. See the way the used a Light font and Grouping to make things orderly.

The main activity of the app, since you don't seem to have anything to put there, why don't you put the list of the items on the side pane there? but with a little more explanation of what each section does. instead of the "About Section" type stuff you put there.

When I click that "English Brain Teaser" button, I see a full Activity with only 4 massive buttons. I don't think that's necessary. if you think the activity will be scanty if you just place four normal buttons in it, then you should use a "Context Menu" or a "Fragment" that will float atop the screen so the user can make his selection.

In the comprehension activity, there is that image with two buttons that go to activities with more buttons that takes you to another activity. Making that Comprehension page a Tabbed Activity will reduce navigation for the user.

*More suggestions that I am too lazy to list*

The black on green color isn't nice. using that black on green makes the UI look a bit dull. Change the text on the Action Bar to white, Text on the red buttons should be white too and the window background should be white.

You don't need those gradients if your on API 21 or API 22 of the android SDK, Lollipop's Material buttons are nice by default. Use them.

You don't have to force a good UI and simple UI. it is mostly about subtly modifying existing components for your needs.

Here is a tool for generating icons for different screen sizes. http://romannurik.github.io/AndroidAssetStudio/index.html your icons on my device appeared blurry
I hope those were useful.

1 Like

Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by lordZOUGA(m): 11:35am On Aug 17, 2015
FincoApps:
Simple Ui not bad.
There is nothing Simple about a bad UI.
If you clutter your UI with stuff just because you are trying to reduce the number of clicks a user has to perform to get something done, that's bad UI.

If you unnecessarily make a UI hard to use by spreading action that can be completed on a single activity across multiple activities because you are making it easier for the user. That's just bad UI.

a good UI is simple and unobtrusive, the user should already know what to expect when a component is accessed.
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by nollyj: 12:12pm On Aug 17, 2015
Nice suggestions and explanation. Thanks, I will look into it.
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by FincoApps(m): 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
Hmmm now you are talking
lordZOUGA:

It is not about doing it better. I am talking about doing it in such a way that it is intuitive to users. doing it right.

For example:
why do you have a button called "Start" at the launch of the app? what is it's function?

Looking at your menu, the topics can be easily grouped but it isn't grouped like "Reading", "Writing", "Oral"? the current way it is will overwhelm some users. Listing items doesn't automatically make the UI simple. Check Gmail's Navigation pane. See the way the used a Light font and Grouping to make things orderly.

The main activity of the app, since you don't seem to have anything to put there, why don't you put the list of the items on the side pane there? but with a little more explanation of what each section does. instead of the "About Section" type stuff you put there.

When I click that "English Brain Teaser" button, I see a full Activity with only 4 massive buttons. I don't think that's necessary. if you think the activity will be scanty if you just place four normal buttons in it, then you should use a "Context Menu" or a "Fragment" that will float atop the screen so the user can make his selection.

In the comprehension activity, there is that image with two buttons that go to activities with more buttons that takes you to another activity. Making that Comprehension page a Tabbed Activity will reduce navigation for the user.

*More suggestions that I am too lazy to list*

The black on green color isn't nice. using that black on green makes the UI look a bit dull. Change the text on the Action Bar to white, Text on the red buttons should be white too and the window background should be white.

You don't need those gradients if your on API 21 or API 22 of the android SDK, Lollipop's Material buttons are nice by default. Use them.

You don't have to force a good UI and simple UI. it is mostly about subtly modifying existing components for your needs.

Here is a tool for generating icons for different screen sizes. http://romannurik.github.io/AndroidAssetStudio/index.html your icons on my device appeared blurry
I hope those were useful.
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by applord: 1:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
Great job @ op
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by nollyj: 12:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
applord:
Great job @ op

Thanks
Re: My New Complete English Classic Android App by nollyj: 2:19pm On Aug 21, 2015
1000 organic downloads in on week. There is hope that this app will do well in Google Play

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Java: Which Is Better To Use Jaxb Or Stax / Programmers Chat Room. / Checkout This New Forum I Made From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.