Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure (1051 Views)

ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States / China Lands First Jet On Aircraft Carrier - Is This The Chinese Century? / Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 6:07pm On Mar 24, 2009
[size=18pt]S. African Visa Refusal to Dalai Lama Forces Conference Postponement[/size]
By Delia Robertson
Johannesburg
24 March 2009

The organizers of a South African conference aimed at promoting soccer as a tool for peace have postponed the gathering after South African officials refused to grant the Dalai Lama a visa to attend the event. 

An initiative of South Africa's FIFA 2010 World Cup local organizing committee (LOC), the South African Peace Conference was planned to focus on the power of soccer to generate peace in the face of racism and xenophobia.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama offers prayers during a gathering at his palace temple in Dharamshala to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Tibetan Uprising day, 10 Mar 2009

The committee had won the support of South Africa's Nobel Peace laureates, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu and F.W. de Klerk for their initiative. They in turn invited the Dalai Lama, along with the Nobel Peace Committee, and other dignitaries to attend the conference.

Now, the chairman of the organizing committee, Irvin Khoza said the refusal of a visa to the Dalai Lama to attend the conference has placed the conveners in an untenable position, leaving them no choice but to postpone the conference.

"Given that the purpose of the conference is peace, the conveners do not wish to put the Nobel Peace Committee under circumstances that would create conflict between the committee and its laureates. The conveners have therefore decided in a spirit of peace, to postpone the South Africa Peace Conference to ensure it is held under conducive conditions."

The postponement follows decisions by Archbishop Tutu and Mr. de Klerk to withdraw from the conference. Mr. Mandela was not slated to attend. Tutu said the refusal to grant the visa was disgraceful, adding that South Africa is shamelessly succumbing to pressure from China.

South African government spokesperson Themba Masebe said the decision had nothing to do with the Chinese government. Instead, he said, the government did not want Tibet to overshadow a 2010 World Cup event. Masebe's statement appeared to contradict a Chinese Embassy official in Pretoria, who told local newspapers the Chinese government had asked South Africa to refuse the visa.

South Africa accounts for twenty percent of China's trade in Africa and last year the ruling parties of the two countries signed a memorandum of understanding without revealing its contents.

The respected local weekly newspaper, the Mail and Guardian, last week reported that the Chinese Communist Party is providing campaign funds to the African National Congress. In an online report, the paper said the party was also getting campaign funds from the ruling parties in India, Angola, and Equatorial Guinea.

Source: Voice of America

Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 6:10pm On Mar 24, 2009
Why should South Africa succumb to Chinese pressure? This is absolutely disgraceful! Can South Africa influence Chinese policies? Why should any African country allow the Chinese to dictate anything to them? This is totally unacceptable and I hope Nigeria never succumbs to any undue pressure from the Chinese.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 24, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Why should South Africa succumb to Chinese pressure? This is absolutely disgraceful! Can South Africa influence Chinese policies? Why should any African country allow the Chinese to dictate anything to them? This is totally unacceptable and I hope Nigeria never succumbs to any undue pressure from the Chinese.

you'd rather we succumb to pressure from saudi arabia?
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by TayoD1(m): 7:04pm On Mar 24, 2009
@davidylan,

Too late. We are already a member State of the OIC!!!!!
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 24, 2009
Oh i see!
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by TayoD1(m): 7:08pm On Mar 24, 2009
@Davidylan,

Oh i see!
Check this out! http://www.oic-oci.org/member_states.asp
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by courage89(m): 8:57pm On Mar 24, 2009
We all know our Chinese counterparts are strategically courting Africans for this reason, to have influence at all times. Thats why they keep spending tremendous amount of money to keep that courtship going. It is up to our respected African Countries to device a strategic means of breaking that status quo, of not depending on their economy for help. Can we actually blame RSA for bowing to Chinese pressure? I will not. In this economic crisis, the only country that have the will (even though is in their own self interest), cash to support aspiring economy like South Africa, Nigeria, and other African countries is China. This financial crisis has clearly demonstrated that if you have cash, you're the king and you can use it to get whatever you need. If South Africans economic development and growth depend heavily on chinese cash, why risk it?
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 9:22pm On Mar 24, 2009
davidylan:

Nope. If our leaders knew what they were doing, Nigeria's foreign and domestic policies would be guided by what the Nigerian people want. Unfortunately, our so-called leaders are a bunch of crooks.

Why do you even mention Saudi-Arabia? The thread is about South Africa.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 9:25pm On Mar 24, 2009
courage89:

We all know our Chinese counterparts are strategically courting Africans for this reason, to have influence at all times. Thats why they keep spending tremendous amount of money to keep that courtship going. It is up to our respected African Countries to device a strategic means of breaking that status quo, of not depending on their economy for help. Can we actually blame RSA for bowing to Chinese pressure? I will not. In this economic crisis, the only country that have the will (even though is in their own self interest), cash to support aspiring economy like South Africa, Nigeria, and other African countries is China. This financial crisis has clearly demonstrated that if you have cash, you're the king and you can use it to get whatever you need. If South Africans economic development and growth depend heavily on chinese cash, why risk it?

But China also needs South Africa. China is showing that it would be a horrible bully if it ever becomes a military superpower.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by courage89(m): 9:36pm On Mar 24, 2009
RichyBlacK:

But China also needs South Africa. China is showing that it would be a horrible bully if it ever becomes a military superpower.

Who will suffer the most if China decides today to disrupt their trade relation with South Africa? China has already been painted as "bullying country" even when they are not considered military superpower.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by bawomolo(m): 12:48am On Mar 25, 2009
courage89:

Who will suffer the most if China decides today to disrupt their trade relation with South Africa? China has already been painted as "bullying country" even when they are not considered military superpower.

China is not a military superpower?
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by youngies(m): 12:16pm On Mar 25, 2009
South Africa is China's largest trading partner in Africa, with 2008 trade standing at 100bn rand ($10bn; £7bn).

It is apparent that South Africa does not want to jeopardise its bilateral relations with China, one of its major trading partners.

It is disappointing that South Africa, which has received so much solidarity from the world during the apartheid era, doesn't want to give that solidarity to others.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 4:42pm On Mar 25, 2009
youngies:

South Africa is China's largest trading partner in Africa, with 2008 trade standing at 100bn rand ($10bn; £7bn).

It is apparent that South Africa does not want to jeopardise its bilateral relations with China, one of its major trading partners.

It is disappointing that South Africa, which has received so much solidarity from the world during the apartheid era, doesn't want to give that solidarity to others.

So well put. Thanks.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by TayoD1(m): 5:13pm On Mar 25, 2009
@RichyBlack,

So well put. Thanks.
Unfortunately, those are not youngies' words. Why people don't reference their sources is just criminal.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 6:07pm On Mar 25, 2009
Tayo-D:

@RichyBlack,
Unfortunately, those are not youngies' words.  Why people don't reference their sources is just criminal.

Tayo-D,

It seems you're right. He may have culled it from The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africa-bars-dalai-lama-from-peace-conference-1652187.html).
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by adconline(m): 8:44pm On Mar 25, 2009
unfortunately, in international relations, "men keep friendships, nations keep interests" So sad SA bowed to chinese pressure the same way  Abiola was killed in the presence of a US envoy- Thomas Pickering in order for OBJ to become  the president.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RSA(m): 11:22am On Mar 26, 2009
I think SA goverment bended too much this time to please china,Dalai Lama has visited South Africa twice in the past ten years,although the last time he was in SA the then president Mbeki refuse to meet him and I think that was worse that being refused a visa.The other factor that i think lots of people where not aware of is that there is conferance this week between SA and China on trade and it would have clashed with the Dalai's visit.But I still think that South African goverment proved to the world that they are china's lapdogs.
http://www.ccs.org.za/index.html
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 4:22pm On Mar 26, 2009
RSA:

I think SA goverment bended too much this time to please china,Dalai Lama has visited South Africa twice in the past ten years,although the last time he was in SA the then president Mbeki refuse to meet him and I think that was worse that being refused a visa.[b]The other factor that i think lots of people where not aware of is that there is conferance this week between SA and China on trade and it would have clashed with the Dalai's visit.[/b]But I still think that South African goverment proved to the world that they are china's lapdogs.
http://www.ccs.org.za/index.html

That must have influenced the decision to deny visa to the Dalai Lama.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by courage89(m): 9:34pm On Mar 26, 2009
@ RichyBlack,

If you are in power to make that decision, what would you have done?
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by sleekp1: 11:38am On Mar 27, 2009
If this was headed South Africa Bows To "American" Pressure there would be the usual suspects defending the indefensible. America bullied the world for half a century, China's only playing catch up. Wait till Nigerians migrate en mass to China in the next couple of years, abeg China is the new America jare.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by RichyBlacK(m): 4:26pm On Mar 27, 2009
courage89:

@ RichyBlack,

If you are in power to make that decision, what would you have done?

As the SA consular officer, I will follow the guideline for visa issuance. if the Dalai Lama, qualifies for a visa, I will issue him one.

As the SA president, I will not interfere with the process, except the consular office (not China) brings it to my attention.
Re: South Africa Bows To Chinese Pressure by courage89(m): 5:20pm On Mar 27, 2009
RichyBlacK:

As the SA consular officer, I will follow the guideline for visa issuance. if the Dalai Lama, qualifies for a visa, I will issue him one.

As the SA president, I will not interfere with the process, except the consular office (not China) brings it to my attention.

Fair enough. I understand your position.

As the president of the country, will your position change if this decision continues to threatens your trade agreement with China?. For example, right now there is an agreement in place to build a new 1000mw power plant for the country at a very low interest rate or at 0% rate. This is very important to the economy, because it will increase the inflow of FDI and create more job for the people. Also, there is an arrangement in place between China and SA to develop the country's moribund infrastructure that is so crucial to the growth of the country. Right now, this decision is very crucial to moving forward with those laid down agreements.

(1) (Reply)

The Ravaging Of Africa - Documentary / An Eye For Eye / Massive Man-hunt For Three Terrorists Plotting A Truck Bomb Attack On New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.