Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit (19949 Views)

Mugabe Blasts Nigeria At AU Summit For “Betraying” Africa / Vladimir Putin Shakes Hands With Cameron And Obama At G20 Summit (video) / First Wives Of The G20 Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 03, 2009
I always knew Obama is  Muslim, its an Islamic agenda, God help us

Obama Bows and Kisses the hand of Saudi King at G20 Summit

Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by presido1: 12:03pm On Apr 03, 2009
What about that. What happend to "Freedom of Religion"
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by c33b33(m): 12:10pm On Apr 03, 2009
the guy is a good politician,what do you think the Saudi's will feel when Obama talks, they will respect him
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by ElRazur: 12:12pm On Apr 03, 2009
Tell me you are kidding? Okay Obama is a muslim, Well let us assume that for a second. Let us consider ourselves lucky that he appears to have simple common sense that eludes most politician.

I think you need to understand that he is only doing the customary thing. Imagine if Gordon Brown prostrates [correct spelling??] for one of the Big Kings of Yoruba states, it do not in anyway mean he is "bigger" than Gordon. He is merely doing it as observing the culture and tradition.

I guess some people just like to post non-sense just for the sake of it.

1 Like

Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 03, 2009
I am not trying to abuse Islam here.

My point is that Obama is a Muslim who hid his religion just to get elected.

And besides religion, another reason is Oil, Oil , Oil.

Basically they are all the same - Bush, Obama et al
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by ElRazur: 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2009
frosbel:

I am not trying to abuse Islam here.

My point is that Obama is a Muslim who hid his religion just to get elected.

And besides religion, another reason is Oil, Oil , Oil.

Basically they are all the same - Bush, Obama et al

Dude your arguments or should I say explanations are getting weaker. An image of Obama paying customary homage to a King is not an evidence of his religion. Obama is not a Muslim, this have been established several times. What more do people like you want?

You seem to be missing the obvious fact that Oil is one of the driving forces in our world today. While Obama may not have been elected solely for oil, it will stupid of him and his allies not to have some sort of plan for it. In his defence, he is encouraging alternative energy you know.

To compare Obama and Bush in the same sentence just goes further to show how weak in my opinion, your explanations and points are.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 03, 2009
Its obvious that you are one of the Obama worshippers.

I repeat they are all the same, no one gets into power who is not backed by the same powerful elite in control of world economics.

Go figure
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Ibime(m): 1:38pm On Apr 03, 2009
frosbel:

I repeat they are all the same, no one gets into power who is not backed by the same powerful elite in control of world economics.

Go figure

This idiot has been watching the Obama Deception documentary. Bloody conspiracy theorists.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 03, 2009
no mind the fool!!!
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 03, 2009
@Ibime, its obvious that as a typical un-enlightened Nigerian you can only resort to abusive words.

For your info I am not a Conspiracy Theorist, but I am educated and aware enough to know that power is always in the control of the powerful and those who dance according to the tune of capitalist economics.

Next time do not assume the intent of my statements.

Primary school boy.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 03, 2009
@ df2006, now you confirm my perception that Nigerians of your calibre are the ones dragging the country back and away from civilisation.

Name calling is something I am quite used to on Naira land. That is why Nigeria is the way it is today, packed full of glorified ignoramuses who do not know their left from their right.

They are only champions in eba and amala consumption, when it comes to awareness and common knowledge they are severely deficient.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by oreshade(m): 3:55pm On Apr 03, 2009
so if Yar'Adua kiss pope for head now, that one mean say Yar'Adua don turn catholic christain, HOW KISSING DON TURN BAPTISM, you are just a THOMAS, that Obama kissed the King in that manner does not mean anything, remember Abacha?, remember when the pope came dressed in white and He dressed in black, do you remember him kissing the pope with a bow?, even then he neither granted His wishes nor obliged His prayers, all were thrown away, its just ethics if I may say that I greet a people vis a vis their customs and usages, that does not say anything or point to anything about my religion, sogbo?

1 Like

Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by ElRazur: 5:46pm On Apr 03, 2009
frosbel:

Go figure

Come on now dude. You are really going for this one ain't you? I am not pro-Obama or anti-Barack. I am merely countering your points and pointing out the flaws in them. Surely you should see what is wrong with your post? First you claim he is a muslim, then make a big deal out of paying homage to a king and when I point this out, you accused me of being pro-Obama.

I am going to level with you and ask you to please explain to me as to how Obama and Bush are the same. Before you start, giving me your  explanation. I need you to remember that, one of the reasons Obama won is down to his team being able to tap into the medium of publicity, media, internet etc that played a crucial part in his intensive campaing that was never seen before on that scale.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Ibime(m): 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2009
frosbel:

@Ibime, its obvious that as a typical un-enlightened Nigerian you can only resort to abusive words.

For your information I am not a Conspiracy Theorist, but I am educated and aware enough to know that power is always in the control of the powerful and those who dance according to the tune of capitalist economics.

Next time do not assume the intent of my statements.

Primary school boy.

The fact that you do possess some perspicuity of language only proves how intrinsically stupid you are. You are an educated buffoon lacking in any perspicacity. After initially accusing Obama of being a muslim, you are now launching some inane diatribe about Obama being in the pocket of the 'controllers of capitalism'. These two allegations are incongruous with each other and are either symptoms of conspiracy theorism or signs of mental and logical instability on your part. If you keep jumping from pillar to post, lacking any lucidity in your postulations, you will have to wear the cap that fits - that of a conspiracy theorist. We all know who controls the world, but what does that have to do with Obama being a muslim and kissing a ring?
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by tpia: 7:00pm On Apr 03, 2009
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Riskie(f): 7:08pm On Apr 03, 2009
What did he do that for?
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by debosky(m): 7:09pm On Apr 03, 2009
What is a 'black man's burden' about this?  

As the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, he knows he needs to build consensus by appreciating people's cultures and showing respect. The exact opposite of Bush whose mantra was 'if you're not with us, we'll bomb you'.

This is nothing but idle speculation and making a mountain out of nothing. I'm sure some idiotic Saudis or fundamentalists are also shitting themselves about how Abdullah shook hands with a woman (Merkel - German President) and how that is an 'abomination' too.

Get real people - value and appreciate other cultures and you have gone beyond the first obstacle in building a relationship. That is all this is.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Riskie(f): 7:14pm On Apr 03, 2009
In 2005 the Saudi king banned people from kissing his hand as it is degrading and against Islam anyway. Everyone's laughing at the guy. He really looked like a fool doing that, I'm sorry to say. undecided

I thought that presidents and other politicians were briefed on the do's and dont's and cultural norms before taking trips abroad. I guess they forgot to tell him that part. Or maybe the guy just likes to kiss a$s.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 03, 2009
Riskie:

In 2005 the Saudi king banned people from kissing his hand as it is degrading and against Islam anyway. Everyone's laughing at the guy. He really looked like a fool doing that, I'm sorry to say. undecided

I thought that presidents and other politicians were briefed on the do's and dont's and cultural norms before taking trips abroad. I guess they forgot to tell him that part. Or maybe the guy just likes to kiss a$s.

The irony is that the same "fool" that "everyone is laughing at" is the one who basically provides Saudi Arabia with a standing defence that is better than a joke.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 03, 2009
The same muslims who make no bones about turning the world into a caliphate and the rest of us mere dhimmi's talking about "degrading" behaviour? What next?
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Riskie(f): 7:24pm On Apr 03, 2009
This is not the religion section David. cool
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by tpia: 7:43pm On Apr 03, 2009
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 03, 2009
A black man shows some respect and everyone is already crying in discomfort?

This is no different from the way he would have bowed to the pope . . . The King of Saudi Arabia is not just a head of state, he is similar to the pope as the head of over 1 billion muslims . . . if Obama had snubbed the king we'd have these pages filled with frothing muslims crying blue murder.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by blacksta(m): 7:48pm On Apr 03, 2009
Please leave the guy alone. do u not know one can achieve alot with humility
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by debosky(m): 7:53pm On Apr 03, 2009
@ tpia

I don't agree - depending on where you're from, shaking hands or even allowing a woman to stand in the midst of men is disgraceful. Bowing and kissing? I don't think there is anything disgraceful in that - he was simply observing cultural norms as he understood them.

If he chose to use this one, where is the problem with that. I still don't see what the 'once again it had to be a blackman' is alluding to here. Bowing and kissing just makes good headlines for some fringe bloggers and nothing more. Respected press organisations have not made a meal out of it, because it is essentially a distraction.

But of course, being black, we will always, as you eloquently put it elsewhere 'carry it on our heads'.  grin

In the same G-20 meeting, some people reported the Queen was 'irritated' that Berlusconi was being noisy - imagine the Italians crying and wailing that 'once again an Italian' had done it. Get real people - it's a non-issue.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Riskie(f): 7:55pm On Apr 03, 2009
davidylan:

A black man shows some respect and everyone is already crying in discomfort?

This is no different from the way he would have bowed to the pope . . . The King of Saudi Arabia is not just a head of state, he is similar to the pope as the head of over 1 billion Muslims . . . if Obama had snubbed the king we'd have these pages filled with frothing Muslims crying blue murder.

The Saudi King is in no way similar to the Pope. There are no infallible figures in Islam. Further more there is no living person who is the sole figurehead for Muslims. He is simply the ruler of Saudi Arabia and only Saudi Arabia.  A handshake would have sufficed, that's all people are saying. No need for religious tug of war.
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by DeReloaded: 8:07pm On Apr 03, 2009
Riskie:

The Saudi King is in no way similar to the Pope. There are no infallible figures in Islam. Further more there is no living person who is the sole figurehead for Muslims. He is simply the ruler of Saudi Arabia and only Saudi Arabia.  A handshake would have sufficed, that's all people are saying. No need for religious tug of war.

Would you say the same about him and Michelle bowing/curtsying to The Queen
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by Riskie(f): 8:19pm On Apr 03, 2009
Would I say that them bowing down to the Queen is ridiculous? Yes absolutely. A handshake is enough I don't believe any human being should bow down to another. As far as I am concerned we are all equal. Just because someone bears some stupid archaic title does not make them any better than the "average" person.  undecided
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by DeReloaded: 9:07pm On Apr 03, 2009
Riskie:

Would I say that them bowing down to the Queen is ridiculous? Yes absolutely. A handshake is enough I don't believe any human being should bow down to another. As far as I am concerned we are all equal. Just because someone bears some stupid archaic title does not make them any better than the "average" person.  undecided

be that as it may, it doesnt change the fact that when people visit the queen, they tend to bow or curtsy, they're just following the tradition. what's the big deal?
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by tpia: 9:07pm On Apr 03, 2009
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by tpia: 9:10pm On Apr 03, 2009
Re: Obama Bows And Kisses The Hand Of Saudi King At G20 Summit by DeReloaded: 9:16pm On Apr 03, 2009
For all you know Tpia, while he was bowing, he most likely whispered "please dont bomb us while Im in office"

tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

David Beasley: Get Ready For ‘Hell,’ UN Food Chief Warns Amid Ukraine Shockwaves / Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall / Breaking News - Colonel Gaddafi Captured And Killed (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.