Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,521 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates (44671 Views)

10 Categories Of People That May Not Afford To Browse When Data Rates Increases / MTN Introduces Cheaper Data Bundles / NITEL Returns As NTEL With 4G Cheaper Data Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by DTOBS(m): 9:19pm On Aug 15, 2015
morale of this epistle,pls?
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by ceejay80s(m): 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2015
elampiro:

You are right about Airtel. That 2gb is like 100 mb. I have abandoned them.
Do u know the worst part? They have their people here on nairaland and they see all these complain but they don't care, corruption dey inside blood, u no fit try am for england, how can u give us 1TB data for 1k and at the end of it all, the 1gb will just be 1kb data
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Richhard(m): 9:28pm On Aug 15, 2015
Nelkoko:
MTN d chief SHAVER....NA BLUNT RAZOR DEM DEY USE

If you think mtn is shaving, that means you have not use Airtel
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by sharpchap: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2015
i for talk. as i just check one page for nairaland airtel say 50mb gone shocked shocked shocked. na wa ooooo!changing to etisalat.
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by surajoyadagammo(m): 9:35pm On Aug 15, 2015
Could this be my experience with AIRTEL?
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Gucciboss: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2015
Adesiji77:

Yes, for now.

Glo Comonth package also makes some sense but the network is not reliable. I have never exhausted the package in any given month.

WiFi beats all the GSM networks in terms of speed and reliability.
Your are right on Wifi being the best but outside lagos, Wifi is virtually nonexistent in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by BrainnewsNg(f): 9:38pm On Aug 15, 2015
udemzyudex:
Shaving, so dem don turn to barber.... Smh

Hehehehehehe
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 15, 2015
wonder never end in Naija
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2015
Still trying to wrap my head around this data shaving concept that most people talk about. Maybe we are yet to get used to using modern smartphones with apps carrying out data-intensive tasks. I can tell to this much, there's no such thing as data shaving.
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by jumpandpass: 9:58pm On Aug 15, 2015
This is unacceptable!
NCC must do the needful. Yes they must checkmate this wicked barbers

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by simsonnaira(m): 10:02pm On Aug 15, 2015
igahdavid:
Yes, this is so so true. I was discussing with a friend the other day. When I bought my Galaxy tab in 2012. I use to buy a 350mb monthly data and it was enough to browse the Internet for a month. I am a heavy browser. I read the news on almost all available platforms. Nairaland, Blogs and Online newspapers and 350mb was enough(I hardly download anything).

Fast forward to 2015, I do exactly the same things I do online as before, but 2gb is never enough for me in a month.

what is moore's law?
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by activelyA(f): 10:09pm On Aug 15, 2015
Adesiji77:

I think Airtel still holds the ace in data consumption.

Etisalat is ok, same for Glo's Comonth package; I have never exhausted their 3G on my Blackberry. The snag is that Glo as a network is not dependable.

I stopped using MTN's data plans a long time ago but I don't trust their data plans.
Although you are right on Glo instability, they could be reliable in terms of speed. Many argue that this is the reason for their fast consumption of data.
Currently using Etisalat 1gig and it did not even last me 3 weeks and I have got only 23mb remaining already. Although am a heavy data user but nonetheless angry angry itz too fast.

But which are you using currently as i am confused.
Thinking of going back to MTN SMEs sef undecidedembarassed
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Segadem(m): 10:18pm On Aug 15, 2015
Kelklein:
[size=16pt] I want to disagree with the op on this his 'shaving' concept.

'shaving' as you put it, will only occur if you don't follow simple instructions... that "do not load BIS on an android phone"..when you do that, you will be totally liable for any inconvenience you experience.

but the way airtel barb data tho

etisalat is the best in terms of data management

followed by MTN, then glo and lastly airtel

but in terms of speed.. airtel dust all of them

my2kb tho [/size]
This man must be talking about Mikel speed.
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by ikukuhero: 10:21pm On Aug 15, 2015
I use Airtel 2gb for 1500 naira on my android and it's quite good. I've had it 24/7 for about two weeks and my data balance is above 1.1 GB, which I think is good. Speed is okay, but it depends on location and time. So far, really good value for money. Better than MTN and Etisalat in value for money. Airtel customer service is also very good. They resolved the query I had ASAP, and reaching an advisor was easy. Unlike MTN that u can never get thru to. Sticking with Airtel for now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by simsonnaira(m): 10:26pm On Aug 15, 2015
igahdavid:
Yes, this is so so true. I was discussing with a friend the other day. When I bought my Galaxy tab in 2012. I use to buy a 350mb monthly data and it was enough to browse the Internet for a month. I am a heavy browser. I read the news on almost all available platforms. Nairaland, Blogs and Online newspapers and 350mb was enough(I hardly download anything).

Fast forward to 2015, I do exactly the same things I do online as before, but 2gb is never enough for me in a month.

what is moores law pls?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by ojnnaco(m): 10:27pm On Aug 15, 2015
People trying to use others since 1908... They are not even considering The poor network all d time and d massive looting in different forms
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by scentmarlc(m): 10:28pm On Aug 15, 2015
Tboysalau:
embarassed Please where Is the price for FTC cheesy cheesy cheesy
Death by hanging wink gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by BizBayo: 10:35pm On Aug 15, 2015
Imagine, mtn ripped me of 1gig in just 4 days of usage.
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Rexnegro(m): 10:42pm On Aug 15, 2015
glo to me is the most realistic among them all. dislike mtn with passionate passion when its comes to data issue,esp them telling u its within fair usage. wtf?
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by chachanga: 10:48pm On Aug 15, 2015
Nelkoko:

yeye mtn that ran away with my 4.28gb data rollover

forget patriotism, forget good samaritanism

any tweak, any hack, any proxy, any bypass....Na goes be dat!

MTN, Waaaaaiiiiit?!

I'LL BE BACK!

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by jimi4us: 10:56pm On Aug 15, 2015
abeg make una help me beg spectranet their so call 20 GB dey only last me 1 week without downloading movies. I was shocked in the 5th day I was told I've used up to 90%. I was like OK maybe the message is not for me. 7th day boooom 20gb finished. something is wrong somewhere. as for NCC? #useless
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by cutelover19(m): 11:26pm On Aug 15, 2015
Na so one day I buy MTN N100, I come forget to buy 10mb Mtn plan with am, as I just click Nairaland.com for my browser, next thing wey I see be say I don use 870kb which was about N43. Since that day I understood the power of shaving especially if it's done with AGABA. The igbos will understand
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by MrMcJay(m): 12:00am On Aug 16, 2015
jimi4us:
abeg make una help me beg spectranet their so call 20 GB dey only last me 1 week without downloading movies. I was shocked in the 5th day I was told I've used up to 90%. I was like OK maybe the message is not for me. 7th day boooom 20gb finished. something is wrong somewhere. as for NCC? #useless

Forget Spectranet. Those ones dont do data shaving, they carry out data beheading.
In my office, there have been several complaints on this same issue without resolution.

I think they are on a self-destruct mission.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by ahmedbanj(m): 12:18am On Aug 16, 2015
Nelkoko:
Hahahahaha.. truly d chief shaver!
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by lastpage: 1:36am On Aug 16, 2015
SPECTRANET for example:
When you pay for a 30day bundle, will make sure that they cut you off at 12:01am (one minute into the thirtieth day) of that 30th day!

it should have expired at 11:59pm of that day.
Thus, they shave a whole day off your data usage!

I raised the issue with their office and the reply l got was "that is how it was programmed"!

See SCAM answer!

But dont blame them, when NCC officials have connived with Telcos to rip Nigerians off, what else?

I hope the PMB wind of anti-corruption will reap that NCC in due course ASAP.

Lastpage!

BTW: I see that l am not the only one having issues with this SPECTRANET people?
Anyone with info on SWIFT as per shaving/beheading acts?
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Nobody: 6:14am On Aug 16, 2015
Kelklein:
[size=16pt]

my2kb tho [/size]

It seems you're high or something, or maybe you're a staff of Airtel...
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by persius555(m): 6:15am On Aug 16, 2015
dimexilux:
so, what is the way forward?
The way forward is for NCC to look into this fraud and revive mobile arm of nitel. The telcos are out to rip nigerians of their hard earned money. They take nigerians as fools.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by BabaIbo: 6:15am On Aug 16, 2015
Airtel should be the fastest cos they have the lowest customer base, i.e people using sharing the network is not much, unlike mtn

Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Tboysalau(m): 6:41am On Aug 16, 2015
scentmarlc:

Death by hanging wink gringringrin
wow very nice
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by stanley000: 6:45am On Aug 16, 2015
its not a small thing pop,I hardly download songs coz I'm not a music freak,I don't stream,I don't even visit the so called play store but still yet 1gig Airtel cannot last up to 4days....I have called and complained countless no of times and it just gets worse
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by Nobody: 6:49am On Aug 16, 2015
they are free to do hair cutting too. with my simple server, i browse, chat and enjoy youtube unlimitedly did i forget ton mention unlimited downloads? ha ha why use a phone when i can enjoy a better display and performance via my laptop? besides, cheats full ground o
Re: Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates by CaptPlanet(m): 7:36am On Aug 16, 2015
Jacide:
The availability of multiple applications like BBM, Skype, WhatsApp is eating up the revenues of major Nigerian Telecommunication companies. With the budding apps, calling and short message services have taken the back seat and as a result, the telecommunication companies are facing a massive loss of revenue.

A recent report has revealed that majority of the telcos have fallen some 30% decline in their expected revenue generation. Apart from this revenue drop statistics, the report also suggested that the companies could see an additional decrease of 20% in the total revenue. In order to reclaim the loss, some of the telcos have raised data price through the means of shaving, which is eventually hurting the broadband penetration in Nigeria.
How the shaving is done

The current data plans, irrespective of the network hardly last the expected duration it is meant to last, due to increased use of internet in Nigeria. For example, I’ve been a victim of Airtel on several occasions. Buying their so called 2GB BIS plan for 1,500 naira is suicide. The last time I used the service, I hardly got 200 megabytes of data usage before I was slammed with the reality of my “data is exhausted!” What a sham?

http://somtoo.com/nigerian-networks-introduce-shaving-to-balance-cheaper-data-costs/

Well I don't believe this 2 gig 200 MB gist, unless it's a "one of" situation. I've been using airtel since forever and I can tell u that I always get my complete data when I subscribe. Even the 1,500 for 2gig now give u 3gig. They even give u 9gig for 3,500.

Like I said earlier, unless it's a one of. As for me, I'm still flexing my airtel!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funniest Meme Reactions To The Iphone X And Iphone 8 Launch Event / Checkout Nokia 3310 That Costs N776,000 - Will You Buy? / Dear Customer You Are Not Allowed To Call This Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.