Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,012 members, 7,810,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity (2151 Views)

Infidelity: Wives, Mistresses’ Fights Get Messier, Spill To Social Media (pics) / Court Dissolves Marriage As DNA Reveals Child’s Paternity / A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by ijustdey: 7:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
A child’s paternity has always been a topic of interest and many times of great contention in the African culture. In the western world if there is ever any doubt, a paternity test is the answer and the problem is solved. Within our culture, things are a little more complex than that. I have always been quite clear in my mind and unyielding about my position about a woman muddling or lying about the paternity of a child. I have always felt it cheats so many people and can lead to irreparable damage mostly in the life of the child. However, as I have gotten older and have had a taste of life’s whip, I have mellowed somewhat, simply in the ability to have empathy that there are sometimes mitigating reasons for decisions to be made. Having said that from a moral point of view, it still feels very difficult a concept and in some cases it is unfathomable especially when it is just a deceit to cover up illicit activity. The letter I recently received from a reader is one of those complex situations when being judgemental feels inappropriate. What are your thoughts?

Dear Gloria,

I feel odd writing you this letter but I have been reading your column for a few years and I think you are mature and responsible. Besides I enjoy the topics you write on. I have to implore you not to use my personal details. I don’t mind if you share with your readers because I’m sure there are many people who are in the same situation.
I am in my fifties and I have been married for over twenty five years. I am a successful well-educated professional. I am married to an equally successful woman that I love very much. She is a few years younger than me but it’s not a problem, we are well suited. We had been trying to have children for many years and had not been successful until five years ago when we were blessed with a beautiful daughter. We were so happy and felt blessed. I had a medical condition diagnosed two years ago which was challenging but we managed to get it under control. During the process of treatment it was discovered that I had a problem and it meant I won’t be able to father children. I was devastated but worse than that my daughter’s paternity was called into question. I did not say anything to my wife. I just prayed on it and asked God to help me contain my feelings for the sake of my daughter. I love my daughter and I decided I would be the only father she will know. Obviously my wife will not want the truth to come out for her child’s sake.

We have lived happily over the years but my wife recently became pregnant again and delivered a son. At first I was shocked then I thought there is nothing impossible with God and maybe I was healed. I went back to the doctor who said I still had the problem, saying that there was no way I could be the father. I was devastated. I love the baby and I feel like his father. Again I am the only father the boy knows. I have not said anything to my wife but I look at her differently. I don’t trust her. I am mature and if she had discussed it with me and we both agreed for her to do it, so that we could have children, then I would understand. However knowing she has an idea I cannot father children and pretending the children are mine is very hard to take.

She is enjoying a good life with me and I know she won’t want to give it up. I am not a young man and my marriage has been good. I am wondering if I should just let it go and enjoy my children. I feel very differently about things this second time and it has been affecting my feelings for her. Though I love the child because I love children, but I do not feel peaceful and she has even made some comments about my behaviour since the birth of the child.

I would like your advice on what to do. I feel I should confront her about the deceit, but still let her know that I accept the children. I am worried if I send her away she could threaten to take the children along, since they are not my biological children. I was thinking it might be better for me to try to have another relationship that is honest. It is so hard because she is a nice wife, I don’t have any complaints other than the children. I am thinking she might have done it to protect my reputation since she knows how much I want children.

Please I need your support because I am feeling desperate. I am happy to come and see you for counselling but please don’t expose me to the world.

http://www.punchng.com/columnists/mental-health-matters/a-husbands-painful-dilemma-on-paternity-infidelity/
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by Bacteriocin(m): 7:37pm On Aug 16, 2015
Hmm
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by Aminat508(f): 7:42pm On Aug 16, 2015
A

1 Like

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by Cutehector(m): 7:42pm On Aug 16, 2015
What nonsense, hw can a wife go and sleep wit another man and hav kids and lie to u dat they r ur children and u are feelin so emotional abt it... Pls confront her and demand d truth from her.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by donholy28(m): 7:43pm On Aug 16, 2015
Damn either ur wife is cheating badly on u or God has healed u not minding ur doctors report....what u will do now is to secretly have a DNA test with ur kids to be sure then u can know ur next step

1 Like

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 7:46pm On Aug 16, 2015
This is one of the main reasons I believe that western style marriage should be done away with in Africa. I say it because Africans can't handle its full application and consequences.

In Igboland where I come from, in traditional marriages, all children born to a marriage automatically belongs to the husband. No "ands" or "ifs" or "buts" about it. The traditional Igbo marriage emphasizes the family (complete with father, mother, children) more than anything else including "love", "sex", "fidelity" etc. In fact it is irresponsible in traditional Igbo marriage for a man to even question the paternity of his children. It simply implies that the man is a failed husband and father.

Before a woman marries in Igbo land, her fertitily (which is the only thing being tranfered in marriage) belongs to her father, or any male family survivor to the father. That is why if a girl delivers a baby at home before marriage, the child immediately belongs to her father's family. The child only gets transfered to the biological father if the man pays for the bride price -which is often misunderstood for selling the women, but is a deep old tested culture that solves all types of problems including the one being discussed here.

In Igbo traditional marriage, sex is not exclusively included in the deal. A woman cannot be thrown out of her marriage just because she had sex with a person other than the husband. The Igbo understood that patenity test is really a selfish, vain, futile and wasteful excercise that always shortchange children.

The Igbo believe that a woman gives sex to whoever takes good care of her -in this case it should be the husband- but some men fail miserably in this duty. I'm not saying that a woman can just have sex with anyone; all I'm saying is that she can have children (preferably with the agreement or acquiessance 0f her husband) with a carefully chosen man (someone not a blood relation to the woman). If she has sex with a man other than the husband, it is assumed that the man is neglecting her somehow.

So, OP if the complainant is Igbo, tell him to call his wife, sit her down and ask about the paternity. But he should promise her that nothing would change in her marriage, afterall he failed to impregnate her in decades of marriage. She is entitled to have kids, and those kids are HIS!

There is more to say but let me stop here for now...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by boboLIL(m): 7:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
Mr man.... U r living in pretence...... U r not happy and very worried......since u can't bury the hatchet....omo let it out....so dat ur soul will be freed....
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by Islie: 7:57pm On Aug 16, 2015
The woman in question is a killer.....

If she can go that length and not put you in the mix when she knows what was/is wrong with you
Or

Don't she think you will find out one of these days *abi she thinks she married a phool*
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 8:14pm On Aug 16, 2015
The level of mistrust and questions of fidelity will continue to wreck havoc in western style marriages.
Just sad.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by cococandy(f): 8:14pm On Aug 16, 2015
There's no way on earth he can live and die without confronting her on the issue. It's only a matter of time. So the earlier the better for him.

She was wrong on so many levels.
If she felt the problem wasn't her, she could have earlier on encouraged him to go for testing with her and that could have made all the difference because then they would make the choice of a sperm donor together or adoption.

He obviously doesn't want a divorce because to him divorce at his age when he can't father kids would be like condemning himself to the rest of a life of loneliness without the kids he's come to know as his own and a very slim chance at remarriage if he's honest to the next lady about his sterility.

That woman has stripped him of major choices in his life and that's very unfair.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by cococandy(f): 8:15pm On Aug 16, 2015
carnegiefan:
The level of mistrust and questions of fidelity will continue to wreck havoc in western style marriages.
Just sad.

Funny you.

African style marriages don't have questions of fidelity coming up?
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by veraponpo(m): 8:15pm On Aug 16, 2015
This is really a vase that can bring a nostalgic feeling.

If you don't want to lose the children , there is an approach you can use but all in all, you have to discuss with your wife.

There is nothing that is impossible with God. Who knows if the children are actually yours? Medical reports may fail when God's wonders come. I have seen SS genotype turning to AA before. So, discuss with your wife before taking any bad step.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by chymystique(f): 8:18pm On Aug 16, 2015
Eleyi gidi gan! shocked

He should ve Paternity test done on the two kids without the wife's knowledge so he will be sure .. Then, He should confront the wife in private cause in future the real father of the kids might come to claim them. but FIRST With her type of mind That woman fit kill sha.

1 Like

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by cococandy(f): 8:20pm On Aug 16, 2015
While this looks good on paper and in reality helps to protect the interests of the children,
What about the real father of the kids?
This kind of system robs him of his right to be a father to the kids if he wants to be unless he marries the woman. Who may not want to marry him as she only used him for procreation.

Omo other people's rights have to be respected too. I'm Igbo too in case you think I'm hating on the culture.

carnegiefan:
This is one of the main reasons I believe that western style marriage should be done away with in Africa. I say it because Africans can't handle its full application and consequences.

In Igboland where I come from, in traditional marriages, all children born to a marriage automatically belongs to the husband. No "ands" or "ifs" or "buts" about it. The traditional Igbo marriage emphasizes the family (complete with father, mother, children) more than anything else including "love", "sex", "fidelity" etc. In fact it is irresponsible in traditional Igbo marriage for a man to even question the paternity of his children. It simply implies that the man is a failed husband and father.

Before a women marries in Igbo land, her fertitily (which is the only thing being tranfered in marriage) belongs to her father, or any male family survivor to the father. That is why if a girl delivers a baby at home before marriage, the child immediately belongs to her father's family. The child only gets transfered to the biological father if the man pays for the bride price -which is often misunderstood for selling the women, but is a deep old tested culture that solves all types of problems including the one being discussed here.

In Igbo traditional marriage, sex is not exclusively included in the deal. A woman cannot be thrown out of her marriage just because she had sex with a person other than the husband. The Igbo understood that patenity test is really a selfish, vain, futile and wasteful excercise that always shortchange children.

The Igbo believe that a woman gives sex to whoever takes good care of her -in this case it should be the husband- but some men fail miserably in this duty. I'm not saying that a woman can just have sex with anyone; all I'm saying is that she can have children (preferably with the agreement or acquiessance 0f her husband) with a carefully chosen man (someone not a blood relation to the woman). If she has sex with a man other than the husband, it is assumed that the man is neglecting her somehow.

So, OP if the complainant is Igbo, tell him to call his wife, sit her down and ask about the paternity. But he should promise her that nothing would change in her marriage, afterall he failed to impregnate her in decades of marriage. She is entitled to have kids, and those kids are HIS!

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 8:23pm On Aug 16, 2015
cococandy:

Funny you.

African style marriages don't have questions of fidelity coming up?

Believe me, it didn't have such questions before the coming of the British laws of marriage. I used to be ignorant like you until I started to read research books and articles on traditional Igbo marriages in pre-colonial Igboland.
My eyes opened BIG TIME! shocked

All the recent traditional Igbo marriages simply infused British marriage philosophy into our marriages thereby laying so much emphasis on paternity.
Have you ever wondered why Igbo people say that any child born in a marriage automatically belongs to the husband? I hope you know that this is the case even till date.
I encourage you to read up on pre-colonial Igbo marriages.
It had answers to ALL issues bedevilig marriages today.

2 Likes

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 8:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
cococandy:
While this looks good on paper and in reality helps to protect the interests of the children,
What about the real father of the kids?
This kind of system robs him of his right to be a father to the kids if he wants to be unless he marries the woman. Who may not want to marry him as she only used him for procreation.

Omo other people's rights have to be respected too. I'm Igbo too in case you think I'm hating on the culture.

Any man that wants to have children of his own in Igboland MUST marry. QED.
If a man goes about impregnating women for whatever reasons, the .a.s.s. is on him because those kids are NOT his, and he can NEVER claim them unless he marries the women.
As for a husband, if wants kids from his wife, all he needs is to impregnant her. He can talk to her to understand and wait with him if he is struggling (which most women understand and comply with provided he is a good man that takes care of their needs).
In the case of this OP, the woman seem to have waited for decades. Not excusing her actions though because it seems that she didn't talk to him first. She is mandated by tradition to talk to him first and get his approval before doing anything. But western marriages have no such "talk" window. Your only option is adultery.
Nne it is a long story. But read up first before we can debate. cool

2 Likes

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by cococandy(f): 8:34pm On Aug 16, 2015
You say the issue of fidelity didn't come up in African (Igbo) style marriages. That's just not true.

But what's true is that the husband owns the kids regardless of who the woman slept with to bear them. And I know it is still in practice until today.

It doesn't mean our people used to turn a blind eye to infidelity. It just means it wasn't the end of the world like it seems now. The woman could appease the husband in his own way and their marriage continues as she can't take the kids from him even she wanted to leave. It seems like a great practice that aims at not exposing the kids to rancor or ridicule
But
What about the biological father of the kids? What say you about his rights to be a father to his kids.
Forget that he committed an offense sleeping with another man's wife.

Anyway if this man in the story is Igbo, the kids are his and he has nothing to fear about losing them unless of course the secularity of civil law is allowed to take preeminence over ethnic beliefs.
I.e the biological dad comes up one day and decides to sue for his kids.

I feel sorry for him. embarassed

carnegiefan:

Believe me, it didn't have such questions before the coming of the British laws of marriage. I used to be ignorant like you until I started to read research books and articles on traditional Igbo marriages in pre-colonial Igboland.
My eyes opened BIG TIME! shocked

All the recent traditional Igbo marriages simply infused British marriage philosophy into our marriages thereby laying so much emphasis on paternity.
Have you ever wondered why Igbo people say that any child born in a marriage automatically belongs to the husband? I hope you know that this is the case even till date.
I encourage you to read up on pre-colonial Igbo marriages.
It had answers to ALL issues bedevilig marriages today.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by cococandy(f): 8:40pm On Aug 16, 2015
He can get someone pregnant by mistake without planning to be a dad but when it happens, the dad in him comes out and you say he can't be a father because he isn't married to the woman?

@bold she waited for decades and then ruined it by going about it the wrong way. Western style marriage doesn't forbid, sperm donorship or adoption or any of the solution couples can look for in cases of infertility.
I'm not judging her o before someone will ask me if I wouldn't do same in her shoes grin

I'm just feeling for the man.
The blame is not on western style marriage here. The blame is squarely on her.

I wonder how she can make it right to him again at this late hour of his life.
carnegiefan:

Any man that wants to have children of his own in Igboland MUST marry. QED.
If a man goes about impregnating women for whatever reasons, the .a.s.s. is on him because those kids are NOT his, and he can NEVER claim them unless he marries the women.
As for a husband, if wants kids from his wife, all he needs is to impregnant her. He can talk to her to understand and wait with him if he is struggling (which most women understand and comply with provided he is a good man that takes care of their needs).
In the case of this OP, the woman seem to have waited for decades. Not excusing her actions though because it seems that she didn't talk to him first. She is mandated by tradition to talk to him first and get his approval before doing anything. But western marriages have no such "talk" window. Your only option is adultery.
Nne it is a long story. But read up first before we can debate. cool
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 8:44pm On Aug 16, 2015
cococandy:
You say the issue of fidelity didn't come up in African (Igbo) style marriages. That's just not true.

But what's true is that the husband owns the kids regardless of who the woman slept with to bear them. And I know it is still in practice until today.

It doesn't mean our people used to turn a blind eye to infidelity. It just means it wasn't the end of the world like it seems now. The woman could appease the husband in his own way and their marriage continues as she can't take the kids from him even she wanted to leave. It seems like a great practice that aims at not exposing the kids to rancor or ridicule
But
What about the biological father of the kids? What say you about his rights to be a father to his kids.
Forget that he committed an offense sleeping with another man's wife.

Anyway if this man in the story is Igbo, the kids are his and he has nothing to fear about losing them unless of course the secularity of civil law is allowed to take preeminence over ethnic beliefs.
I.e the biological dad comes up one day and decides to sue for his kids.

I feel sorry for him. embarassed

My real fear for the husband is if the fathers of the kids are NOT Igbo (assuming he is Igbo). I'm not conversant with what the Nigerian law say about that. But I know that Nigeria law reverts to customary law if the marriage was conducted traditionally; ie. if bride price was paid.
That is why every Igbo man must insist on marrying traditionally! grin

As for pitying the ijjiot that went to impregnate another man't wife, the Igbo has zero pity for such a f00l. cool
The magga has ZERO rights.

3 Likes

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by Ewuro4: 8:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
but questions though,

1) Did he actually ran a test on the kids OR 2) banked on what his Dokita has been telling him despite all the corrective measures he's undergone, 3) No second opinion, 4) just sat on his miserable arśe all this while?
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by freecocoa(f): 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2015
carnegiefan:

Before a women marries in Igbo land, her fertitily (which is the only thing being tranfered in marriage) belongs to her father, or any male family survivor to the father. That is why if a girl delivers a baby at home before marriage, the child immediately belongs to her father's family. The child only gets transfered to the biological father if the man pays for the bride price -which is often misunderstood for selling the women, but is a deep old tested culture that solves all types of problems including the one being discussed here.

Are you talking about the olden days or what? Because I know that igbos still perform the traditional marriage rites and all the above is not applicable in this times.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by cococandy(f): 9:06pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:
Are you talking about the olden days or what? Because I know that igbos still perform the traditional marriage rites and all the above is not applicable in this times.

Actually it still is.

Unless the husband doesn't want the kids. If he does, they are his until he and his wife divorce.
Of course he won't agree to the divorce if he wants the kids.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by freecocoa(f): 9:13pm On Aug 16, 2015
cococandy:

Actually it still is.

Unless the husband doesn't want the kids. If he does, they are his until he and his wife divorce.
Of course he won't agree to the divorce if he wants the kids.
Wait first, in which part of igboland? Like I get married, trado, white and court, then happen to have kids fathered by a man not my hubby, he finds out and I want out, the kids still remain his?
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 9:24pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:

I'm talking about BOTH times. The problem today is that Igbo people conduct both traditional and "statutory" marriage.
So when issues arise, statutory marriages (marriage under Nigerian law) takes preeminence most times because of things like "community property" ; ie the right of the wife to inherit her husband's property instead of the man's brother if he had no male child, et al.
But if a man married only under traditional (hence customary laws) of Nigeria, then what I say applies TOTALLY ; ie the husband owns the children.
The key point of my post is that when the British left, we should have not kept their marriage system intact like we have done. We should have reverted to tradtional marriage only, with minor adjustment like allowing a widow without a male child to inherit her husband. But even that had a remedy in pre-colonial Igbo marriage, which I can get into if you want.
For now, and for the purpose of this discussion, let's just say that the husband has nothing to worry about (since he cannot impregnate his wife anyway) if he married traditionally.
Paternity test or not, the kids are his.

1 Like

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by freecocoa(f): 9:32pm On Aug 16, 2015
carnegiefan:

I'm talking about BOTH times. The problem today is that Igbo people conduct both traditional and "statutory" marriage.
So when issues arise, statutory marriages (marriage under Nigerian law) takes preeminence most times because of things like "community property" ; ie the right of the wife to inherit her husband's property instead of the man's brother if he had no male child, et al.
But if a man married only under traditional (hence customary laws) of Nigeria, then what I say applies TOTALLY ; ie the husband owns the children.
The key point of my post is that when the British left, we should have not kept their marriage system intact like we have done. We should have reverted to tradtional marriage only, with minor adjustment like allowing a widow without a male child to inherit her husband. But even that had a remedy in pre-colonial Igbo marriage, which I can get into if you want.
For now, and for the purpose of this discussion, let's just say that the husband has nothing to worry about (since he cannot impregnate his wife anyway) if he married traditionally.
Paternity test or not, the kids are his.
I asked because I know that not only traditional marriages happen these days.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:
I asked because I know that not only traditional marriages happen these days.

Yea I know, BUT traditional marriages SHOULD be the only marriage we have. It was COMPLETE before the British came.
I pity an Igbo man who doesn't know or understand the cultural intent of marriages in Igboland. It was always about kids and family.
I don't know of non-Igbo ones, so I can't discuss them.

I had to delve into this fact because I see a lot of havoc being wrecked on marriages in Igboland by vanity (sex, "love" and other canal nonsense), while kids suffer.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by CSTR2: 9:45pm On Aug 16, 2015
Where do they get this kind of men from?
Absolutely shocking level of cowardice, and a huge dose of stupiddity.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by freecocoa(f): 9:48pm On Aug 16, 2015
carnegiefan:

Yea I know, BUT traditional marriages SHOULD be the only marriage we have. It was COMPLETE before the British came.
I pity an Igbo man who doesn't know or understand the cultural intent of marriages in Igboland. It was always about kids and family.
I don't know of non-Igbo ones, so I can't discuss them.

I had to delve into this fact because I see a lot of havoc being wrecked on marriages in Igboland by vanity (sex, "love" and other canal nonsense), while kids suffer.
Well, we can't have only that and I actually believe it's better that way.

That traditional style doesn't make much sense, I don't see how it's okay to let another man take responsibilities for someone else's kids.
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 10:00pm On Aug 16, 2015
freecocoa:
Well, we can't have only that and I actually believe it's better that way.

That traditional style doesn't make much sense, I don't see how it's okay to let another man take responsibilities for someone else's kids.

So what happens to men like the one in the OP who couldn't impregate their wives? What about the right of the wife to carry a baby like other women?
Some of you would say "sperm donor" etc, but how different is it from the provision in Igbo culture that allows a woman to get pregnant by another man? Do you know how long it would take to get those fertility lab techs to remote Igboland?
The funny thing is that nothing changes even in the donor example., except of course the euphoria of sex in people's mind.
I came to that conclusion when I read a story about 1500 women who got pregnant by a certain donor. They banded themselves together and started searching for the biological father of their kids! Knowing women and how emotional they can get, some of those women would be willing to have sex with the guy if they found him! Isn't that absolute madness?
But in Igbo culture, merely being the biological father does NOT remotely give you the right to the children.
I think that sex was elevated to unprecedented heights by the western style marriages, and children took the back seat.

1 Like

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by carnegiefan: 10:07pm On Aug 16, 2015
Please not to be misquoted or misunderstood. I did not say that married women had sex willy nilly in traditional Igbo marriages. We still hated and frowned at adultery and the punishment was very harsh.
All I'm saying is that western style marriages laid too much emphasis on sex. In fact it is all based on sex ("love"). Hence children suffer if they don't come from that "love".
Igbo saw that love was a vain emotion and rose high above it to protect family and children.
Thats all.

2 Likes

Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by freecocoa(f): 10:12pm On Aug 16, 2015
carnegiefan:

So what happens to men like the one in the OP who couldn't impregate their wives? What about the right of the wife to carry a baby like other women?
Some of you would say "sperm donor" etc, but how different is it from the provision in Igbo culture that allows a woman to get pregnant by another man? Do you know how long it would take to get those fertility lab techs to remote Igboland?
The funny thing is that nothing changes even in the donor example., except of course the euphoria of sex in people's mind.
I came to that conclusion when I read a story about 1500 women who got pregnant by a certain donor. They banded themselves together and started searching for the biological father of their kids! Knowing women and how emotional they can get, some of those women would be willing to have sex with the guy if they found him! Isn't that absolute madness?
But in Igbo culture, merely being the biological father does NOT remotely give you the right to the children.
I think that sex was elevated to unprecedented heights by the western style marriages, and children took the back seat.
That's why there's something called adoption, there are thousands of children needing to be loved, he can adopt.

Lol at sex being elevated, sex for who exactly? Men or women?
Re: A Husband’s Painful Dilemma On Paternity, Infidelity by TV01(m): 10:16pm On Aug 16, 2015
carnegiefan:
Please not to be misquoted or misunderstood. I did not say that married women had sex willy nilly in traditional Igbo marriages. We still hated and frowned at adultery and the punishment was very harsh.
All I'm saying is that western style marriages laid too much emphasis on sex. In fact it is all based on sex ("love"wink. Hence children suffer if they don't come from that "love".
Igbo saw that love was a vain emotion and rose high above it to protect family and children.
Thats all.
Dude, like wow!

I have loved your insights and grasp of marriage in the Igbo tradition. My admiration for both you and the culture has rocketed. From the little you've written, I can glean how rich and evolved a tradition it is in its pure form. I sincerely hope it is revitalised and reclaimed in it's essence.

As a lover of matrimony, I have really appreciated your input here - and I didn't even read the OP. It resonates really strongly with my own study of proper marriage across cultures and through history. I hereby dub you an official NL Marriage Advocate cheesy.

Thank you, very much appreciated.

TV

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Ruined My Marriage Because Of Pride / Advice Me Please,i Caught My Dad With My Little Cousin / My Husband Is In A Quest Search For A Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.