Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka (2270 Views)

Disintegrating Nigeria Will Bring Untold Hardship To All Created Regions / Like Play, Like Play. Nigeria Is Disintegrating. / Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka By Prisca Sam-duru (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by flyingsnail(f): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2015
By Prisca Sam-Duru

LAGOS — Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, said, yesterday, that despite the fact that there is no formal break up of the country, the nation was already disintegrating due to the refusal of the government to embrace national dialogue.

Soyinka said this while speaking on “The quest for justice, tolerance and non-violent change” at a presentation highlighting Dr Martin Luther King jr and the American civil rights movement, organised by the Public Affairs Section of the US Consulate General in Lagos at the Freedom Park, Lagos.

According to him, “the presidential system of government is totally unfitted to the governance of Nigerians. The legislators have become a bastion of corruption while the system operational in the country encourages corruption.”

Soyinka, who maintained his stance on Sovereign National Conference as panacea to salvaging Nigeria from total collapse said: “We can even remove the word sovereign, there is need for national dialogue because if we don’t have a national dialogue, we will have monologues. Public detonators are monologues, Boko Haram is a hyper active secession by their expelling people in some states, purging it of the people who they believe don’t share their ideologies.

Dr.Joe Okei-Odumakin, Prof.Wole Soyinka and Past.Tunde Bakare during A Town Hall Meeting by the Save Nigeria Group and Allies in Lagos

“Zamfara State, during the last tenure of government, led in declaring itself a theocratic state and had some other states joining. Those are monologues. Despite loss of lives and traumatisation, the cravings for the emancipation of Blacks were a remarkable struggle on the part of the American civil rights as their struggle for justice, peace and equity paid off.

“What we have now is not a constitution because it was handed over to us by a bunch of neocolonialists in military uniform; they worked out that constitution. So, we need a single constitution binding all major issues in the country.”

Soyinka, who noted that the recent industrial action by civil societies and Labour was a necessary struggle for justice and prosperity, also cited the Nigerian civil war as a clear case of quest for justice and equity on the part of Biafrans, pointing out that although he is not strictly pro-Biafra, he was against the injustice meted on Biafrans since it is morally right to want to secede.

He also recounted the degradation that existed during the segregation of Blacks not only in the Western world but here in Nigeria during British rule which regrettably, he argued, is still existing among Nigerians.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/nigeria-is-already-disintegrating-soyinka-2/#sthash.7XTQGYaa.tYRJ7cpL.dpuf

Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by luvinhubby(m): 2:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
Thought he was against the last national confab?
Anyway, let us start by implementing the laudable aspects of the last confab, which has a lot in it, before talking of anything else.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Ezenwammadu(m): 2:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
The zoo must crumble

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by swtchicgurl: 2:04pm On Aug 17, 2015
angry

Is that the title of his new literature?

Maybe he can win a noble war prize
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Unsad(m): 2:05pm On Aug 17, 2015
The only thing OBJ has said rightly is about this Soyinka being a better wine connoisseur than a political analyst
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by rusher14: 2:08pm On Aug 17, 2015
A revisit to news from 2012.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
Space booked
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by DuchessLily(f): 2:11pm On Aug 17, 2015
This man sef
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by flaminReed: 2:18pm On Aug 17, 2015
Whatever has to do with the demise of Nigeria is always boggling to my psychology.. A thousand times my mind says 'yes' to it and a thousand times it worries for it. sad.. In any case, any people are morally justified to seek secession, just like Prof. Wole has stated above when in all glare they're more unfortunate than holpen by a confederacy... Let God accelerate the final configuration of the Nigerian peoples.. Em, I'm in Nairaland, perhaps, as the newest recruit from the sidelines today cheesy.. Welcome me brethren cool
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by socialmediaman: 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
Misleading Title. mods should modify the title if it must be moved to frontpage.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by glassjar1: 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
QUICK REAL FAST .

BREAK THE DAMN CURSED AXIS IN AFRICA . LET BREAK UP REAL QUICK . I MEAN NOW .
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by lyntiffany(f): 2:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
This is a critical warning for the sophisticated ones, they should know that Nigeria as a country is fast crumbling,the earlier they fight to secede from this country just like the Biafrans the better for them. A word is enough for the wise.

Thanks to God this came from their almighty sophisticated noble laureate.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by mymadam(m): 2:22pm On Aug 17, 2015
DuchessLily:
This man sef

"Nigeria is already disintegrating – Soyinka on January 25, 2012 / in News 1:56 am (VANGUARDNGR.COM)"

This report was during Goodluck Jonathan's dramatic presidency...

Change has come... or has it?
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Adeyinka12(m): 2:24pm On Aug 17, 2015
Okay oo
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
The thread title is trashy.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Truckpusher(m): 2:37pm On Aug 17, 2015
People have a right to seek for self emancipation and I don't know why most Nigerians are deaf , blind and dumb to this issue.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by omenka(m): 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
Some things I read just make me wanna puke.
Soyinka, who maintained his stance on Sovereign National Conference as panacea to salvaging Nigeria from total
collapse said
The original title say he stated Nigeria is disintegrating, and in the body of the article, he proffered solutions to forestall a complete disintegration, and the op went- "soyinka calls for disintegration".

Lalasticlala, Seun, be mindful of the things you allow people spread on this forum.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by omenka(m): 2:43pm On Aug 17, 2015
luvinhubby:
Thought he was against the last national confab?
Anyway, let us start by implementing the laudable aspects of the last confab, which has a lot in it, before talking of anything else.
Oga open your eyes. This is a very old stuff and he didn't even say anything close to what the op is suggesting he said in the title.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by atlwireles: 2:47pm On Aug 17, 2015
"All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there." ~Rumi

NIGERIANS WILL SEEK FREEDOM FROM THIS HELL WE KNOW TODAY. DISINTEGRATION IS A MATTER OF TIME.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:48pm On Aug 17, 2015
January 2012.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Kastonkastroll(m): 2:54pm On Aug 17, 2015
old news misleading title. smh for wailing wailers
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by otabuko(m): 2:56pm On Aug 17, 2015
they would'nt let our people go..i don't know why.....
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by luvinhubby(m): 2:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
omenka:
Oga open your eyes. This is a very old stuff and he didn't even say anything close to what the op is suggesting he said in the title.
Chai !!!
This is Jan. 2012 news.
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by flyingsnail(f): 5:20pm On Aug 27, 2015
undecided
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by flyingsnail(f): 11:31pm On Oct 19, 2015

He saw it
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Shymm3x: 11:33pm On Oct 19, 2015
Welcome to the Zoo. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:05am On Oct 20, 2015
grin. I am with my heebo brothers here Omo
THE ZOO MUST FALL.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by neolboy(m): 3:16am On Oct 20, 2015
Baba literature has even seen the handwriting on the wall
Re: Nigeria Is Already Disintegrating – Soyinka by Truckpusher(m): 3:20am On Oct 20, 2015
Shymm3x:
Welcome to the Zoo. grin

You just woke up? bro. grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is Father Mbaka's Opinion On Buhari's Lopsided Appointments. / PHOTO: Ovie And Wale Wishes Nigerians A Happy Independence Day* / Live Update More Pictures From The Biafra Protest At Nigeria Hong Kong Embassy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.