Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,281 members, 7,826,085 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

Potty Training - Your Expert Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Potty Training - Your Expert Advice (5148 Views)

. / Potty Training Difficulty? Help Is Here!!! / When To Start Potty Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 1:52pm On Mar 26, 2009
What is the best way to gradually wean a toddler off the diaper and get him to use the potty . . .or the toilet bowl? We're trying and it is tough!! These is one of the few times I wish we had a maid.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Ilelobola: 3:12pm On Mar 26, 2009
We just started with our toddler too (18 months). We tried when she was about 17 months with a potty and she just wouldn't sit on it at all so we gave up. However since then, I would let her come in the loo with me grin well she chose to come in the first few times and following that I allowed her but she was always fascinated by the the tap running when I'm washing my hands afterwards. I always explained what mummy was doing to her and used baby words e.g. weewee, poopoo etc.

I then decided to try her on the toilet bowl and she actually did wee in the bowl, she was so pleased with herself, clapping and running for the sink to wash her hands (her reward). We still haven't got her to say the words or give a sign (we started again only 4 days ago now) but we take her to the loo every hour. It's easier for us as we have a full time nanny at home with her; don't know if nurseries would do that. We've had one accident so far, she pooed in her car seat which was by the toilet door on the day. Perhaps she was trying to get to the toilet herself though she wouldn't have been able to sit on her.

My point is, if you can, let the child in the toilet with you to get them used to what it's about if they don't want to use the potty. If the child doesn't respond still, I'd say leave it for while before trying again.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 3:55pm On Mar 26, 2009
Thanks.

He goes with me whenever I use the restroom, either sits on his potty when I'm there for a while or watches me and waits anxiously to pull the flush lever when I pee. He sits down on his potty and pees once in a while but most times he just sits and does nothing. When I wake him up, I position him in front of the toilet bowl but he just looks angry

But I know this, put him in a shower and turn it on, he'll pee right away. So he's kinda figured it is OK to pee in the shower. They started training him @ the day care too but the teachers complain it is just a waste of time - the boy just chills and does nothing all day!

We've heard it's tougher with boys but I feel we still have to try all the same.

I guess we'll wait a while and try later. but I'll continue to take him to the toilet with me though.

thanks again.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by sistawoman: 4:07pm On Mar 26, 2009
Boys dont really start going until around 2.

But taking him to the toliet with you is the right thing to do.

He will go when he is ready.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by sammyjl(f): 2:45pm On Mar 31, 2009
My 8 yr old son was Potty trained by my mother, she would take him with b4 he went to bed. And also somewhere in the middle of the night she would take him aswell, i dont really remember at what age she started doing this. But it has helped cos he doesnt mess in bed and now does this toilet thing by himself.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by gReenmAn(m): 3:18pm On Mar 31, 2009
I watched my wife try to potty train our 1st kid when he was about a year and half. The first few days were frustrating for her. She went as far as allowing the boy play with his best toy while sitting on the potty, of course the lad ended up getting over engrossed with the toy rather than face the real business at hand.

I just had to intervene. I waited till the day the boy pissed on himself while I was around. The moment he did the deed, I gave him a small but stinging WHACK on his bombom then planted him firmly on his potty for the next 10 minutes. He got the message and he hasn't looked back since.

The tricky part is to accurately deliver the whack right on time, it must be done not more than 10 seconds right after the naughty wee, that way he'll be able to tie naughty wee to stinging whack!

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2009
lol. funny.

He knows about the whack so he'll do it when ur not around. And you know mothers - they'll just run their mouths and that is it. He already knows the difference btw mom and dad.

What I have come to realise is that he'll hold on to his pee until he gets in the shower and it is turned on. Ive tried to migrate this over to his potty and / or toilet bowl with little success.

So I think he has developed that control - only letting it go at the wrong place.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by carpenter(m): 3:43pm On Mar 31, 2009
Haba! that's not nice!

Well it worked, hmmmm
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 3:46pm On Mar 31, 2009
Maybe I should install a shower in the toilet, right on top of the toilet bowl . . . . then gradually take it away grin grin

We havent even started thinking about no. 2 (the dung) yet!
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Godalone(m): 3:52pm On Mar 31, 2009
My son started using potty at 7 month but i don't know how my wife did it.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 3:59pm On Mar 31, 2009
Godalone:

Thanks for the advice.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by damola1: 8:15pm On Mar 31, 2009
My son of 7 months, started using the potty when he's about: 6months and the half, which is about 2 weeks ago,

It's his maternal grandma that put him on it, now he only poohs in the morning, and sits and takes care of it, sits quite maturely on it.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Nobody: 8:51pm On Mar 31, 2009
kokoye:

What is the best way to gradually wean a toddler off the diaper and get him to use the potty . . .or the toilet bowl? We're trying and it is tough!! These is one of the few times I wish we had a maid.
1. Always wake your child up at the middle of the night to pee. That'd would get him/her used to getting up instead of peeing on him/her self.

2. Buy a potty trainer - teach him/her how to use it.
If possible, force him/her to use it.

3. Don't wear diapers on your child, [b]pullups [/b]are much more better. Easier to get off so whenever they want to pee, they'd be able to take it off easily.

4. Once in a while, tell your child to go to the toilet EVEN when he's not ready to pee. Follow your child and train him well.

5. When you get inside the toilet, you need to DEMONSTRATE it by sitting on the toilet sit and pointing to your child to sit on his toilet sit too.

6. Buy some videos about potty training, so they can watch it and also learn from it.

7. Find kids books about potty training

That's all I got wink
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by jericho: 10:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
My wife just started our son's potty training recently.

For awhile now i know when he wants to pee or poohpooh cos he begins to take off his cloths and his diapers, that way i know something is coming.

But getting him to either pee or poopoo in the potty is a chore . He has turned the potty to a mini chair. Just sits on it to lounge.

Well we will get there some day sha.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Nobody: 12:34am On Apr 01, 2009
jericho:

My wife just started our son's potty training recently.

For awhile now i know when he wants to pee or poohpooh cos he begins to take off his cloths and his diapers, that way i know something is coming.

But getting him to either pee or poopoo in the potty is a chore . He has turned the potty to a mini chair. Just sits on it to lounge.

Well we will get there some day sha.
awwww, my cousin takes off his clothes just because lol

But if he needs to pee or poo, he points at his daiper and points to the toilet. Then gustures for me to follow him grin grin
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by mohawkchic(f): 1:32am On Apr 01, 2009
~My son skipped the Potty training Stage & started using the toilet . . .I cudnt get him to sit on his Potty. . .since he was much more keen on Using the toilet than the potty,i got Toilet seats. . {pics attached} He Prefered the soft Toilet Seat!

~Maybe Your lil one will be willing to give it a go if you try the toilet seats . . . since you go w/ him to the loo & sees you peepee in the bowl,he might just want to do as you do . . see if it works for you? undecided

Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by DeReloaded: 1:35am On Apr 01, 2009
kokoye, does he use PullUps?

Where were you?
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Hauwa1: 1:38am On Apr 01, 2009
grin grin grin
funny @ karma. iwo ati ebere eh grin
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Outstrip(f): 4:27am On Apr 01, 2009
My son is honestly giving me a headache with his own. He will run and tell me potty but when I rush to get the potty I found that he does it before he comes and reports hmself. I have consider swatting his bottom like someone said but I don't want to inflict pain when I don;t know if he is doing it on purpose or not. I wish I did not have carpet I would let him run around butt naked.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Nobody: 4:30am On Apr 01, 2009
Outstrip:

My son is honestly giving me a headache with his own. He will run and tell me potty but when I rush to get the potty I found that he does it before he comes and reports hmself. I have consider swatting his bottom like someone said but I don't want to inflict pain when I don;t know if he is doing it on purpose or not. I wish I did not have carpet I would let him run around butt naked.
rotflmao. . . . grin grin

That's why I advice some women to take the child to the potty even when he's not ready to go.
The fact is, half of the time you take them eveb before they report, they use the potty
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Tgirl4real(f): 9:06am On Apr 01, 2009
In addition to all dat has been said. I think mothers start the training too late. If you start from 6-7 months, the baby will get used to it in no time.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 1:23pm On Apr 01, 2009
@ Reloaded.

He uses pullups now. But it's still the same thing. You can tell when he wants to take a dung - he squeezes his face and stays still likes he's trying to force something out. But by then the deed is already done.

Like I mentioned earlier, i take him to the toilet with me and make him sit on his potty while I do my thing. The only things he's interested in is flushing when I'm done.

Even the day care people said the boy aint ready - cos they brought up the idea of potty training.

Some people said to start from 2yrs, some are saying 6months. which ones now??
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by gReenmAn(m): 2:31pm On Apr 01, 2009
The earlier the better.

But I think around 8 - 9 months is just ok.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Outstrip(f): 5:24pm On Apr 01, 2009
Unless there is a parent that does not work out of the home and can dedicate that time to that with no other distractions first thing in the morning then 6 months is totally unrealistic. The only person I know who was able to start potty training at 9 months here in the states had a teenage son sit with her daughter till she pooped first thing in the morning till she pooped (she was also a stay at home mom). So if you are waking yo in the morning and think you will run around and leave the child by himself or herself in the potty at 6 months you are dreaming. It will not happen. Also some children will simply do when they are ready or when there is an incentive to do so
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Nobody: 3:51am On Apr 02, 2009
Outstrip:

Unless there is a parent that does not work out of the home and can dedicate that time to that with no other distractions first thing in the morning then 6 months is totally unrealistic. The only person I know who was able to start potty training at 9 months here in the states had a teenage son sit with her daughter till she pooped first thing in the morning till she pooped (she was also a stay at home mom). So if you are waking yo in the morning and think you will run around and leave the child by himself or herself in the potty at 6 months you are dreaming. It will not happen. Also some children will simply do when they are ready or when there is an incentive to do so
Don't your son's daycare potty train him?
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 2:48pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Don't your son's daycare potty train him?

Well, my son's day care actually suggested potty training. But they gave up once they went through what we'd been going thru. Like it's just a waste of time right now. The boy just sits and does nothing . . . excepts he really really wants to, which could take forever. The decided to give him some time and try again in a few weeks.

Last night I sat him in his potty for over an hour (tiring!) and he did nothing but cry at his restriction. I gave up and guess what? he pooped like 10mins later.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 02, 2009
kokoye:

Well, my son's day care actually suggested potty training. But they gave up once they went through what we'd been going thru. Like it's just a waste of time right now. The boy just sits and does nothing . . . excepts he really really wants to, which could take forever. The decided to give him some time and try again in a few weeks.

Last night I sat him in his potty for over an hour (tiring!) and he did nothing but cry at his restriction. I gave up and guess what? he pooped like 10mins later.
Kokoye, what do you pay your daycare to do other than stay with your kid while you're at work.
They are "supposed" to potty train kids.

Rotflmao. . . .how old is he?
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by kokoye(m): 1:54pm On Apr 03, 2009
Well, honestly they try. but then ur child is not the only there. My son can stay on his potty for hours and do nothing.

They havent stopped, only took a break. smiley

he'll be 2 in July.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 05, 2009
kokoye:

Well, honestly they try. but then ur child is not the only there. My son can stay on his potty for hours and do nothing.

They havent stopped, only took a break. smiley

he'll be 2 in July.
Yea, that's another thing. . . .too many kids demanding attention at the same time.
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by sikaz: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2009
I love everybody's contributions.However, l just want to point this fact out:No two children are the same.

Every child should be allowed to do the potty thing when he/she is ready on his/her own.That way you won't even find him/her resisting the push to the toilet to do the thing.

Why don't we parents learn to be patient with our little princes and princesses?We seem to get ourselves worked up anytime we see another person's child doing one thing or the other and our own child is yet to do same more so when they happen to be age mates.

Have we quickly forgotten the fact that there is what we call "Individual differences" in human beings.Let the child grow up according to his own nature.Who know he could be a late starter who will end up doing much more than the fast learner of today later in life.

Take caution,Please!
Re: Potty Training - Your Expert Advice by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 13, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Help...is It A Curse To Earn More Than Your Husband? / Guys,over To U!!! / Where To Buy Pure Natural Bee Honey In Lagos:08139458588

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.