Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,375 members, 7,954,521 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:05 PM

The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) (4025 Views)

9 Nigerian Music Influenced Slangs And Their Meanings / Download Motivation Audio: Stop Killing Time / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by JiggamanGh: 7:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Popularity doesn't always translate to quality....*coughs* Nollywood......

Agree but I believe Nigeria has both quality and not so good quality music but overall I think their music is the best. Many Africans abroad are now proud to listen to African music before the emergence of Nigerian music nobody really cared or played African music like that but now we got carribeans and other cultures interested in our music.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by LeSudAfricaine: 10:49am On Aug 26, 2015
KINGOFJAPAN:
ENVY KILLS grin grin
If it did, Naija's population would have been the size of Swaziland

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by LeSudAfricaine: 10:55am On Aug 26, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Agree but I believe Nigeria has both quality and not so good quality music but overall I think their music is the best. Many Africans abroad are now proud to listen to African music before the emergence of Nigerian music nobody really cared or played African music like that but now we got carribeans and other cultures interested in our music.
It's the most marketed african music out there, it's like the english premiership, but we all know La Liga is the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by KINGOFJAPAN: 10:59am On Aug 26, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
If it did, Naija's population would have been the size of Swaziland
And there wont be any adult male southie scum alive
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by KINGOFJAPAN: 11:01am On Aug 26, 2015
Viewing this topic: LeSudAfricaine whats d hold up? cheesy
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
It's the most marketed african music out there, it's like the english premiership, but we all know La Liga is the best
Why are the others not well marketed? Bwahaha... You have no argument there. The fact that the Zulus cannot sing modern music than dancing with exposed peanuts and bosoms is a testament to why it cannot beat Nigerians in that area. Just admit you are envious of Nigeria's musical swag! You can't have it!

Go Nigeria, the true GIANT of Africa!
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by LeSudAfricaine: 5:38pm On Sep 03, 2015
all4naija:
Why are the others not well marketed? Bwahaha... You have no argument there. The fact that the Zulus cannot sing modern music than dancing with exposed peanuts and bosoms is a testament to why it cannot beat Nigerians in that area. Just admit you are envious of Nigeria's musical swag! You can't have it!

Go Nigeria, the true GIANT of Africa!
whatever parrot!

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 03, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
whatever parrot!
I get that a lot! F**king b i t c h! grin grin grin cheesy
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Rhymzydmf(m): 10:51pm On Oct 08, 2015
softvio:

lolz..i catch you! Murdra!!!
#smile na fish I be na..
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by hertz9te(m): 8:46am On Oct 09, 2015
blacnewton:
The Nigerian entertainment industry (especially the music industry) is a scam. My blog is all about challenging the status quo when it comes to marketing, career development and life so I don't normally write about music even though I am passionate about "good" music.

A lot of BS has been going on in the music industry for quite some time now, that I am sick of. So, I have decided to take a leap and write about it. I'm not sure if this article will change anything or if the "cartel" will get to read it but I'm writing it anyways.

The Music Industry Is Killing Talents And Breeding Fools.

Let me make something clear here before I continue, the music industry is made up of;

*The musical artistes, record labels and labels owners
*Organizers of events and award ceremonies
*Entertainment blogs and bloggers
*OAPs and Djs
AND (You and I) the AUDIENCE. So when I say the music industry, we are not exempted.

If you want to hit it big as an upcoming artiste in Nigeria, you don't need to be excellent (mediocrity is enough). These are the things you need to do;

1) Don't sing good music because "good" music don't sell in Nigeria

2) Go to a fucking recording studio, work with a popular producer, he would sure cook up some goddamn beat for you that will rock your shitty music. "The beat is more important that what you are singing".
Note: Getting a popular producer to work on your song is expensive but don't worry you will "blow." Borrow from your friends and family or steal dammit!

3) Get close to the "Cartel"- those that are ready to spend money on your music. Don't worry it is not that hard to wine and dine with the "cartel" if you did no3 (above) successfully.

4) The "Cartel" will in turn do massive publicity on your shitty music. It will be all over the social media - entertainment and music blogs. And they will also bribe OAPs and Djs they know across various radio stations to play your song.

4b) If no 4 doesn't work, they'd create a controversial story around you and your music - like you just signed with Jay-Z or Sony Entertainment and it will damn sell because our shitty gossip blogs will accept it before they even accept Jesus as their lord and savior.
Our gossip blogs will kindly publish it (without confirming the news) because that's what they do. If the Sony Entertainment gist doesn't work they might pull the dumbest PR stunt ever - that you are fucking dead and then you resurrected (God I love Nigeria).

5) After they have successful forced themselves on us, they become popular, they become brand ambassadors and graced shitty awards ceremonies and they become super stars that are too busy to Retweet your mentions on twitter or lecture you on how they worked their ass off to get where they are.

That is the summary of the day-to-day shit that goes down in the Nigerian music industry. And they have successfully brainwashed us with this shit, that we actually think the shit is the real stuff.

We need to come out of our slumber, wake up and challenge this shit. This shit kills talents. Talents are now scared of going to the studio to record good music because they feel good music no longer sells in Nigeria.

And even if they do, they'd never get airplays (because they do not have money to bribe OAPs and DJs).

The award ceremonies are even worse. It is all part of the scam. You get awards based on how popular your song is and not how good it is. It is all about the money and how close you are to the "cartel."

These guys have no regards for us and that is why you'd hear them say "omo naija people no dey hear good music, na wetin dem like be dis... Na em dey sell". They dictate what we listen to, instead of the other way round.

It is high time we put and end to this shit and re-build the music industry. We have the power to dictate what we want to listen to (and that is not mediocre music). You guys (OAPs and DJs) have the power to create work that matters by promoting good music.

And this is to the talents out there, the ones that are passionate about what you do, keep creating work that matters. Keep doing good music and don't stop connecting with people. There are still reasonable and credible OAPs and DJs that are ready to help and you never can tell until reach out.

Let us start breeding talents and stop breeding fools.

Source: http://sadiqspeaks.com

bro you just said exactly what am going through.....everybody,djs,oaps,bloggers....all want you to pay before they can feature your music on their platforms...nobody cares about the talent,creativity or content,,,the all want money before they play your son gs,,,personally I don dey very close to give up....it's soo bad sometimes you'll start doubting your talent...May God help us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Hiploko(m): 10:29am On Oct 09, 2015
Produced by Tim Gyang( sibling to the legendary Jeremiah and Sammy Gyang).Visit. www.facebook.com/onyeledodavid and www.reverbnation.com/davidonyeledo for a snippet of this masterpiece. Nairaland's truly got talents. Release date is 11/10/15..#amarachisingle fromgratitudealbum

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by blacnewton(m): 7:43pm On Nov 10, 2015
softvio:
Nice write up OP, but i think the audience should be more powerful than the "cartel". We should be the one dictating the industry, but the problem why the bad music thrives, is base on the level of our education. For example 10.5 million nigerian kids are out of school, you don't expect them to listen to the good music of Boogey,Paybac and the likes of Emmsong . Secondly unemployement, this one covers 47% reasons why bad music sells. Out of frustration those that don't possess the talent, jump into the scene and spoil the music for the talented ones. The audience out of frustration tend to dance to any rythmn than to listen to the lyrics, the artistes play a smart one on them, by looking for fast tempo good beats, and sing nonsense on top. Hmm "this music gift is a sh*t! God help us cause this music biz is a cliff" JCole.

I totally second your thoughts. The audience are indeed more powerful than the "cartel" if only they can see it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by blacnewton(m): 7:48pm On Nov 10, 2015
hertz9te:

bro you just said exactly what am going through.....everybody,djs,oaps,bloggers....all want you to pay before they can feature your music on their platforms...nobody cares about the talent,creativity or content,,,the all want money before they play your son gs,,,personally I don dey very close to give up....it's soo bad sometimes you'll start doubting your talent...May God help us

Bro there are still people that dig good music. You don't need to sell to everybody. Send me a link to your music (if you are really good as you claim) I can help you out.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by hertz9te(m): 7:57pm On Nov 10, 2015
blacnewton:

Bro there are still people that dig good music. You don't need to sell to everybody. Send me a link to your music (if you are really good as you claim) I can help you out.
bro there's nothing I'd appreciate more..........I'd really like to send the songs to you personally on whatsapp or bbm whichever you prefer,of course that's if you don't mind..can I get your bbm pin or whatsapp contact?
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by blacnewton(m): 8:18pm On Nov 10, 2015
safarigirl:
Lol, Nigerians must think they're so phuckin' important. Y'all think you're the ones feeding the 'shitty' artistes? Go to Congo, Rwanda, Morocco, Zambia, Kenya, Togo, Angola. Those are the people hyping your acts. Go see how Bracket wey una no go gree see for 50
naira headline shows in Congo. Visit Peter Okoye's page one day and see how peeps from Ghana to Germany promote them, watch their concerts in packed up stadiums in French and Portuguese-speaking nations. Go to twitter and discover Yemi Alade fans across Africa and realise that whether you hype them or not, Nigerian artistes have conquered Africa, not even Nigeria, with shitty music

I so don't understand this post.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by blacnewton(m): 8:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
hertz9te:

bro there's nothing I'd appreciate more..........I'd really like to send the songs to you personally on whatsapp or bbm whichever you prefer,of course that's if you don't mind..can I get your bbm pin or whatsapp contact?

27621DB4.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by hertz9te(m): 12:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
blacnewton:

27621DB4.
I've sent a request
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Ade3000yrs(m): 10:35pm On Jul 11, 2016
Believe, Me this is amazing. I tot I was the only one with eyes, not until I looked closer, I saw that I was not the only road user but had other who had gone ahead of me so I think I should be more mindful when it comes to over taking. It was after I wrote about the same topic with identical theme that I realise I am just another a cometh and shooting star in space. u wrote your topic before me and that implies am not alone. I would realy want you to hook me up or buzz me on watsapp: 09099176956, I blv we can work out something together
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by pressplay411(m): 9:05pm On Jan 23, 2017
Nice one. You know wassup.
Re: The Nigerian Music Industry Is A Scam (stop Killing Talents) by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
Unless you call that excess screaming with disgard for lyricsm and vocals music
You guys stop saying what you don't know. There is no music without lyrics. Not all songs must be inspirational to the extent you guys complain! All those raps you guys hear, what exactly are the yankee guys saying? R-Kelly sang "just wind for me" and chris brown "yeah 3x", and many others. If it were a naija artist now, it becomes "pangolo music". Value what you have guys!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obodo Music Video Nigga Raw / Song By A Nairalander El Jay Titled "My Life" / Download Album: Simi – Omo Charlie Champagne

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.